Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4603-Edina-Blvd-Edina-MN-55424/1862678_zpid/ "Front/rear yards were professionally landscaped on HGTV's Landscape Smart and Curb Appeal" don't care just look at this bathroom

Finally, flooring that matches my vomit after I pass out drunk on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That office where you see nothing but the sea from the windows is pretty crazy

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

fralbjabar posted:

I've seen that done before with a pink toilet painted white, seat area seemed fine but they didn't paint the inside of the bowl. I'm not sure if that was an actual limit of the paint or if they just couldn't be bothered to drain + dry the bowl to paint it. Considering how cheap and easy a new white toilet would have been to source I'm inclined to believe the latter.

I think the idea is that the inside of the bowl is going to be subject to more aggressive cleaning than the outside. Maybe the paint can handle that, maybe it can't. But the original finish absolutely can.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think the idea is that the inside of the bowl is going to be subject to more aggressive cleaning than the outside. Maybe the paint can handle that, maybe it can't. But the original finish absolutely can.

That stuff can handle tub grim getting scrubbed off. I think they just didn't want to have to uninstall the toilet, which is what you need to do in order to get it fully dried and prepped for the paint.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/311-Highland-Ave-Jenkintown-PA-19046/9857952_zpid/ " ready for the next owner to decorate and HGTV each room" is HGTV a verb now

I LOVE that heat register! It's like a cute little door.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's not a heat register, it's where the monster in the basement looks out at you.

Youth Decay posted:

i'm the carpet

These last two photos really made me pause. Apart from the carpet (why???) they're just really nice.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Zook". Harold Zook was an architect working in suburban Chicago from the late 1910s-early 1950s and he was/is known for his Tudor Revival (or "Cotswold style") cottages, though his biggest public projects were decidedly art deco and his late works had a mid-century modern bent.

His favorite motifs were the spiderweb window and the chevron/herringbone design that you see on the tower of the St. Charles Municipal Building above.
Unfortunately several of his works have been demolished over the years and many of the remainder have been...well, you'll see.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/405-E-7th-St-Hinsdale-IL-60521/4572958_zpid/ This is one of two houses of his that were "reimagined" by architect Michael Abraham. This one was covered on HGTV and in Luxe Magazine when it was done in 2015, and it is now on the market for $3.95 million.

gently caress this guy seriously posted:

So, the McLaughlin’s, who have six children, turned to architect Michael J. Abraham to update the home—including removing walls in the kitchen for more openness and light and transforming a former sunporch into a new family room. Abraham also felt that making the home’s interior a modern juxtaposition to the historic exterior style would have earned Zook’s approval. “The house is one of his all-time classics,” Abraham explains. “For us, it was fun to take apart a historic piece of architecture and see how it was originally put together—to really understand the scale and proportions of it.” With such great bones, Abraham says, a heavy-handed period restoration wasn’t necessary. “If Harold was around today, he wouldn’t have just redone the home as a period piece; he would have taken it to another level.”
Sadly we have no before photos, just the after. The renovation itself isn't that bad honestly, it's just that Zook houses have really strong design features and it makes no sense to just smooth that out and turn it into a cookie-cutter modern.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/46-S-County-Line-Rd-Hinsdale-IL-60521/4572428_zpid/ The other Michael Abraham house, this one completed in spring of 2020. Also featured in Luxe which gives us more lovely quotes

not this poo poo again posted:

Like Mimi, Abraham had long loved the house, even touring it on several occasions, and he already had ideas about how to bring it into the modern era. For example, he eliminated a wall in the front foyer, opening up the curved stairway and creating a sight line between the front and back doors. He also eliminated a narrow back stairway altogether. “It was kind of a maze of little rooms and hallways that were difficult to use,” he explains[...]
In one of the most dramatic changes, they converted the small original kitchen into a breakfast space outfitted with a wall-to-wall tufted banquette and a pair of intentionally mismatched round tables. At one end, Mimi’s office houses handsome built-in cabinetry. On the ceiling, a quatrefoil pattern in a motif taken from the home’s front façade elevates the look[...]
The original formal dining room is now a much larger kitchen with gray-stained walnut cabinetry by O’Brien Harris, honed white Lincoln Calacatta marble countertops and open metal wall shelving. When illuminated, the vintage Paris streetlights above the center island reflect off the original beamed wooden ceiling and the Venetian plaster-covered walls[...]
“We push Mimi away from her comfort zone and make her spaces a little funkier than she would do on her own,” Kranitz says.
This time we do have a handful of before photos, and one of the old listings which declares " Original detailing never marred by trendy updates." So much for that. Again, is it that bad? No. Did it need to be hosed with? I don't think so.

The ceiling pattern looks really out of place imo

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/417-E-3rd-St-Hinsdale-IL-60521/4572469_zpid/ This is an oddball, a Neoclassical/Colonial Revival type house that was remodeled by Zook himself in 1938. It, too, has been totally redone recently. No before photos found. Can't say I'm a fan of this one, even without knowing what the previous version looked like. It needs more color, and all the woodwork being painted white has sucked the life out of it.

Okay, not all the woodwork. This would still look better in a warm wood stain.

there is no way that sitting area is usable

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/434-E-3rd-St-Hinsdale-IL-60521/4572505_zpid/ Oh look, a decent remodel. Or not really a remodel, just a house that has been maintained and updated without turning it into a white-and-gray HGTV showroom.

Spiderweb window!

yay they left the wood alone

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/18-Muirwood-Dr-Glen-Ellyn-IL-60137/4428976_zpid/ Another decent Zook renovation. This is a 1950s Zook so it has a much more midcentury feel.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1719-Glenview-Ave-Park-Ridge-IL-60068/3490883_zpid/ And finally, an unmolested Zook, being sold "as-is". It's about a quarter of the size of most of the other homes in this post, but a tenth of their price.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

God those design touches look so much better in warm wood than lovely white latex.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

God those design touches look so much better in warm wood than lovely white latex.

Agreed, painting wood white is almost always a loving shame

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/405-E-7th-St-Hinsdale-IL-60521/4572958_zpid/ This is one of two houses of his that were "reimagined" by architect Michael Abraham. This one was covered on HGTV and in Luxe Magazine when it was done in 2015, and it is now on the market for $3.95 million.

Sadly we have no before photos, just the after. The renovation itself isn't that bad honestly, it's just that Zook houses have really strong design features and it makes no sense to just smooth that out and turn it into a cookie-cutter modern.

I love the beams/high ceilings-- I'm really curious what the homes looked like originally.

Anyway, I quoted this one because of how loving high up every TV is mounted. It reminds me of playing on the demo playstations and N64s at Target.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They're for background football games and blasting fox news not pedestrian things like "watching something from a seated position".

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/18-Muirwood-Dr-Glen-Ellyn-IL-60137/4428976_zpid/ Another decent Zook renovation. This is a 1950s Zook so it has a much more midcentury feel.

The tile floor in this one looks really cheap and I can’t quite place why

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Badger of Basra posted:

The tile floor in this one looks really cheap and I can’t quite place why

Because it looks like every restaurant bathroom you've been in for the past 15 years.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Aceofblue posted:

I lived in a bog standard Chicago two-flat (LR/DR in the front, narrow hallway with bed/bath going to kitchen in the back) awhile back and it had a gorgeous built-in china cabinet in the dining room with some nice scrollwork on the hutch part... that had been filled in by decades and layers upon layers of white paint. It made me sad.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Because it looks like every restaurant bathroom you've been in for the past 15 years.

You nailed it

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Aceofblue posted:

Want a laugh about the whole paint-everything-white situation? My new apartment (lease ended at the peak of the covid situation locally, had to move in without actually visiting & just going off of video/photo tours done to request by apartment office staff) got everything repainted and touched over before they handed it over to me. Including repainting all the bits they painted white. Because, you know, "modern" (in an apartment with a fridge still using bloody CFCs, built after they were banned for new production).

So goddamn much repainted, and so much painted to match, that they managed to paint the breaker box AND one of the air vents shut. It's been a month and I'm still finding things they painted over for the sake of "color coordination" that really didn't need to be.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Want a laugh about the whole paint-everything-white situation? My new apartment (lease ended at the peak of the covid situation locally, had to move in without actually visiting & just going off of video/photo tours done to request by apartment office staff) got everything repainted and touched over before they handed it over to me. Including repainting all the bits they painted white. Because, you know, "modern" (in an apartment with a fridge still using bloody CFCs, built after they were banned for new production).

So goddamn much repainted, and so much painted to match, that they managed to paint the breaker box AND one of the air vents shut. It's been a month and I'm still finding things they painted over for the sake of "color coordination" that really didn't need to be.

:negative: :negative: :negative:

They did the same sort of blanket repainting before I moved in to my current apartment, but at least they did light grey as the main color and white as the accent rather than full flat white. But yeah lol, we had to to take a razor to the breaker box to get it open and two years in I still get a laugh when we uncover something they painted around instead of under (like when we had a light fixture replaced, or under the smoke alarms).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Aceofblue posted:

:negative: :negative: :negative:

They did the same sort of blanket repainting before I moved in to my current apartment, but at least they did light grey as the main color and white as the accent rather than full flat white. But yeah lol, we had to to take a razor to the breaker box to get it open and two years in I still get a laugh when we uncover something they painted around instead of under (like when we had a light fixture replaced, or under the smoke alarms).

The opposite end of the fun is when i find something they didn't paint over OR around... like the bigass gaps in the sliding glass door frame that had to be filled, except for the biggest one that they refused to (I stuck adhesive insulation over it instead and it kinda works).

Never gonna understand these people. Second apartment in a row with massive gaps leaking freezing cold air in around the glass door. I would much rather simply have a regular door that doesn't double my heating bill, please.

e: or for the main paint, how the entire area around the washer/dryer was left unpainted and stained, and other parts of the bathroom have very clear spot filler that managed to chip off when barely touched

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Some vintage furniture dealer sourced and will be selling the same bedroom set from Spring Breakers and I can’t stop laughing

Photo at the furniture studio which is known as:

Reference photo:

Now is your chance to live like this

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

They did Flat White Everything on my place too, and for a real laugh check this out:

They painted the light switches because the prior tenant had painted that wall tan and swapped to brown switches.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Liquid Communism posted:

They did Flat White Everything on my place too, and for a real laugh check this out:

They painted the light switches because the prior tenant had painted that wall tan and swapped to brown switches.

Wow. That's... Pretty rough. This is about the worst I have for things I can't clean or repaint myself after the painted-over stuff has been chipped away.

With the absolute shitshow this place has been though it's no surprise. Maintenance caused a minor gas leak on their very first visit, hot water took multiple fixes, still don't completely have heating working (in midwestern winter), pretty sure the dryer will break down any load now.

But hey, vaulted ceiling, that's worth... something? I dunno, I don't get the appeal of vaulted ceilings myself. Or of a lot of design trends really, a little "spartan to a fault" with interior design myself.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I absolutely get vaulted ceilings as someone who's well over six feet tall and lived in a house with eight foot ceilings growing up and got tired of eating light fixtures to the face.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The college I went to had some dorm rooms with these HUGE vaulted ceilings, like 20 feet. I can't find any pictures online, though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This is from a while ago but holy poo poo this is rancid

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have no idea what that cabinet to the left of the sink is, but I know that pull thing is just waiting for knees to destroy

E: not to mention the countertops made of wet, construction lumber 2x4s that have separated as they’ve dried. Have fun cleaning the crumbs out of those until they rot!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 23, 2021

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m the nonfunctional dueling barn doors

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Like...they took every element of a kitchen and thought “how can I gently caress this up”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have no idea what that cabinet to the left of the sink is, but I know that pull thing is just waiting for knees to destroy

I assume it’s a trash drawer. The faucet is also trash. The window and its frame are trash. The ceiling is trash. The counters are trash. The barn doors with corners cut so you can see the framing of the closet/room behind them are trash. The floor is trash. The white enamel farm sink is trash. The lighting is trash. The stovetop without a vent hood is trash. The different finishes on the pulls of the cabinets are trash. The big cabinet is trash. The paneling sucks big time and is also trash.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "writer"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/243-Warrensburg-Rd-Stony-Creek-NY-12878/59941709_zpid/

heaven

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/260-Middlesex-Ave-Chester-CT-06412/57839896_zpid/

separate writer's studio

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/364-Harshaw-Creek-Rd-Patagonia-AZ-85624/2076865825_zpid/

loving all these colors

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3-Pond-View-Dr-Oak-Bluffs-MA-02557/2077248700_zpid/

separate studio

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17015-Pacific-Coast-Hwy-SPACE-19-Los-Angeles-CA-90272/20542611_zpid/ Far and away the nicest manufactured home I have ever seen

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3460-Decker-Canyon-Rd-Malibu-CA-90265/20558037_zpid/ "Formerly owned by Red Hot Chili Peppers Drummer Jack Irons"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/186-Lopaus-Point-Rd-Tremont-ME-04612/2110268664_zpid/ "Former summer retreat for Pulitzer Prize writer Walter Lippmann and family"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

This is a nice spot. Great picture catching the hummingbird too!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Man I was just thinking, as I scrolled, "haven't seen the Eames chair in a while." Then in the VERY NEXT PHOTO, bam there you go.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/186-Lopaus-Point-Rd-Tremont-ME-04612/2110268664_zpid/ "Former summer retreat for Pulitzer Prize writer Walter Lippmann and family"

This one looks like it'd be cool as gently caress to hang out at in that grandpa's fancy cabin sort of way

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Aceofblue posted:

This one looks like it'd be cool as gently caress to hang out at in that grandpa's fancy cabin sort of way

Lippmann would have been a drat interesting grandpa to hang out with, that's for sure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Lippmann

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Lippmann would have been a drat interesting grandpa to hang out with, that's for sure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Lippmann

:eyepop: I'd bet he would have a lot of thoughts on today's politics and journalism

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Is anyone in here interested to salvage a gorgeous house very close to the Finnish capital? I have an offer for you:

https://asunnot.oikotie.fi/myytavat-asunnot/j%C3%A4rvenp%C3%A4%C3%A4/16010557

I'm also willing to accept donations to restore this place.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

wheatpuppy posted:

Man I was just thinking, as I scrolled, "haven't seen the Eames chair in a while." Then in the VERY NEXT PHOTO, bam there you go.

That one at least looks used and loved.

As the owner of a Knoll Pollock chair for my day to day office duties, an Eames lounge is on my major want list after I stop moving around and living in tiny apartments.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Doll House Ghost posted:

Is anyone in here interested to salvage a gorgeous house very close to the Finnish capital? I have an offer for you:

Wow, the bones of that are gorgeous and that property is awesome. Get me into Finland and we have a deal

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Gesner". Harry Gesner is a renowned mid-century modern architect who primarily worked in Los Angeles and Malibu. I have already posted a couple of his masterpieces that came up for sale in the previous thread - the Stebel House (1961), the Triangle House (1960) and the Hendrix House (1968).

A few others that have sold but still have photos up
a Malibu Boathouse https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7149-Woodrow-Wilson-Dr-Los-Angeles-CA-90068/20045833_zpid/
another Malibu Boathouse, with before and after photos of the renovation https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7035-Woodrow-Wilson-Dr-Los-Angeles-CA-90068/51579788_zpid/
31536 Victoria Point https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31536-Victoria-Point-Rd-Malibu-CA-90265/20557741_zpid/

There are also several Gesners on the market right now that are worth a look.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12345-Deerbrook-Ln-Los-Angeles-CA-90049/20560079_zpid/ built in 1958

RARE COLOR

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7000-Macapa-Dr-Los-Angeles-CA-90068/20793522_zpid/ built in 1975

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13400-Chalon-Rd-Los-Angeles-CA-90049/20558885_zpid/ built in 1960 for Francis Ford Coppola

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3023-Corral-Canyon-Rd-Malibu-CA-90265/20553782_zpid/ built in 1975, I honestly think the exterior is quite ugly but the interior is pretty cool
seriously my dude wtf is this

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21056-Las-Flores-Mesa-Dr-Malibu-CA-90265/20552014_zpid/ "Ravenseye" (1997!). Built by Gesner for himself in his retirement. He's 95 now so I guess it's time to downsize.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Youth Decay Eames Chair Count: 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I love these houses but I always wonder "where are people putting their poo poo??"