Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also the Partagas Maduro is up on iHavanas, has anyone tried them before? Worth grabbing or splitting a box? Any preference on vitola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
It's been a while since I've had one, but I remember liking the BF. It was definitely different than I expected, and much milder if memory serves, but I don't recall being unhappy with it.:shrug:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

Also the Partagas Maduro is up on iHavanas, has anyone tried them before? Worth grabbing or splitting a box? Any preference on vitola?

I love them and I’d do a box split in a second.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Hayden posted:

It's been a while since I've had one, but I remember liking the BF. It was definitely different than I expected, and much milder if memory serves, but I don't recall being unhappy with it.:shrug:

There’s nothing wrong with liking the Boli BF, it’s seeing it as the superior vitola compared to the rest of the line.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

I love them and I’d do a box split in a second.

I already included a couple of IRL guys but I could sell 5 of them to you if you’re interested. I also bought some Cuaba Divinos because they looked interesting and I have no self control.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

I already included a couple of IRL guys but I could sell 5 of them to you if you’re interested. I also bought some Cuaba Divinos because they looked interesting and I have no self control.

Which ones did you get.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ThatOneGuy posted:

The true one-and-done question is how is the PSD4 regarded?

Used to be tied for first with a RASS when friends and I would spit boxes. Of course, that was in 2009. Construction of both has gotten better (compared with other non-domestic cigars), but both have also changed a bit in flavor. Neither is bad or even mediocre; they have lost a bit of luster is all. I would never turn one down, but I don’t advertise their complexity any more. Still solid pick on both.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have yet to have a psd4 where I was like “ok now I get why this is an iconic Cuban cigar”

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

Which ones did you get.

No. 1

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Yeah I’m 100% in for a 5er.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man, doing a little celebrating in the new house. Got a box of the Leaf by Oscar Corojo lanceros coming for under $100 and I snagged a pricier pipe than I normally like to let myself have:

Really looking forward to getting things settled in here. Hope y'all have a super rad weekend and smoke that good good.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

My wife is having a sleepover with her best friend for her birthday. Once I get the kids to sleep I'm having a smoke and playing New Vegas on the porch. Pick my smoke, thread!

Top to bottom:
Cubans
Romeo y Julieta Coronitas en Cedero
Por Laranga Petite Corona
Non-Cubans
Rocky Patel Edge Maduro toro
Man Of War Puro Authentico corona
Flor De Las Antilles toro gordo
Oliva Serie V Maduro torpedo

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
PLPC

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Oh man, doing a little celebrating in the new house. Got a box of the Leaf by Oscar Corojo lanceros coming for under $100 and I snagged a pricier pipe than I normally like to let myself have:

Really looking forward to getting things settled in here. Hope y'all have a super rad weekend and smoke that good good.

love the stainless (?) rim on this.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Hayden posted:

My wife is having a sleepover with her best friend for her birthday. Once I get the kids to sleep I'm having a smoke and playing New Vegas on the porch. Pick my smoke, thread!

Top to bottom:
Cubans
Romeo y Julieta Coronitas en Cedero
Por Laranga Petite Corona
Non-Cubans
Rocky Patel Edge Maduro toro
Man Of War Puro Authentico corona
Flor De Las Antilles toro gordo
Oliva Serie V Maduro torpedo

One of the Cubans, PLPC probably, but I’ve never had the RyJ so I kind of want that and a review.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The r&j cedros are pretty tasty.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seconded!

AnimalChin posted:

love the stainless (?) rim on this.

Same! I have at least one pipe that is pretty irreversibly charred, so I hope this helps keep that from happening on this one!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m down the shore and I brought some cigars but it will probably be too cold to enjoy them. I packed my patio heater up but decided not to bring it ultimately. I might test it out with a Verocu No 5 tonight. I like the seasons but I wish winter and summer were both one month.

Other than me and Hayden what are the rest of you getting into tonight?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I MIGHT go smoke something this evening but I’m leaning towards waiting until tomorrow so I can sit outside and watch UFC.

If the weather holds: the Cohiba Lancero from the diplomatic humidor I’ve been sitting on since 2011. If it’s cold I’ll grab something from my bag of “you only have one of these left and it’s smaller than a corona size” bag

E: high of 30F and windy tomorrow... nope.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

NewFatMike posted:

Got a box of the Leaf by Oscar Corojo lanceros coming for under $100

You are in for a treat my friend. I've smoked a few of these lately, and I'm low-key wondering why I smoke anything else.

That said, I had a very nice time last night with an EP Carillo New Wave Stella. The price to quality ratio on these is insane, you can snag a 20 box for like 50 bucks if you get a little lucky and they smoke great.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I need to get some more leaf by Oscar Connecticut. That toro was the best NC I’ve had in a LONG time.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

I need to get some more leaf by Oscar Connecticut. That toro was the best NC I’ve had in a LONG time.

That was my favorite of the bunch as well although I don’t think I tried the Sumatra because I haven’t loved too many Sumatra wrappers. Although VSG, the San Cristobal one, and Shadow King (I’m going to keep hawking this until you’ve all tried it, $2.50! Sumatra Oscuro!) are all pretty good.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

All right, kids are asleep, New Vegas is booting up, it's go time! Haven't had one of these in a few years. Old style trip report to follow.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm gonna pick up a Shadow King at one point! I promise!

Lyon posted:

Other than me and Hayden what are the rest of you getting into tonight?

Tatuaje Miami Noella and Connemara, inshallah.

Kenning posted:

You are in for a treat my friend. I've smoked a few of these lately, and I'm low-key wondering why I smoke anything else.

That said, I had a very nice time last night with an EP Carillo New Wave Stella. The price to quality ratio on these is insane, you can snag a 20 box for like 50 bucks if you get a little lucky and they smoke great.

I respect your opinion and not just for your swanky avatar choice! Really psyched for these to get in and I know worst case I can find a new home for them.

I oughta see if I can pick up both a box of New Wave Connecticut and Shadow King, I'll get a load of sticks in the humidor for practically nothing.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Shadow King is so cheap on Cigar Auctioneer. If you don’t like it I’ll buy your remaining stock.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ha! Fair enough. In a "why not?" buy last summer I picked up a box of Factory Smokes at one point and there's still a few left.

Worst case they're just humidity stabilizers forever :v:

Update: I have assistant been cutting my Havana VI Verocru gran coronas too shallow because I thought I went too hard on this one after some chores, and I'm blown away. It is a strong smoke and I'm really psyched to get the most out of this larger vitola.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 23, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm smoking a pipe of Mick McQuaid. It's one of the few pipe tobaccos you'll find in a newsagents in Ireland. It's not the most interesting flavour but it smokes so easily I might just break it out more when I don't want to be disappointed.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Took a minute to brave the cold and burned down my first PLPC. That was a very pleasant smoke and I see why it's highly recommended. I may have to find a box of those next time I'm buying

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They come in 50 cabs :gritin:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
And 50 cabs aren’t that expensive either :)

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Humidor is at capacity and bank account is sad so I won't be ordering a cab just yet. I do have a box of the Bolivar PC's on the way though

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

Humidor is at capacity and bank account is sad so I won't be ordering a cab just yet. I do have a box of the Bolivar PC's on the way though

Same but I usually get over it and then buy more cigars I can’t afford or store.

I smoked a Le Bijou 1922 this evening but it was so cold I wasn’t really able to enjoy it. I’m down the shore for the weekend and I was going to bring the patio heater but decided it was too much effort. I probably just shouldn’t have smoked a cigar at all this weekend.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I need to smoke a Le Bijou again. The two times I've had it were under non-ideal circumstances. As I recall it was powerfully rich, like a flourless chocolate torte, and it got a bit overwhelming. I want to try it again after a large meal with a glass of cognac, as though it was a dessert. I recall the flavor being absolutely excellent, and the smoke rich and thick.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Lyon posted:

Same but I usually get over it and then buy more cigars I can’t afford or store.

A good way to get over impulse buying cigars is to only have access to a limited range of Cuban cigars and then for a basic PC to cost about €16.50 a stick (unless you want to chance customs seizing everything.) It really slows you down picking stuff up. It also sucks loving balls.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Both the standard My Father and the Le Bijou are absolute rear end kickers. I love both sticks, but the nicotine kick on them is very high. They're one of the few sticks that leave me feeling queasy even after a large meal.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
La Relatos by Warped was solid. Got some Baki g spices and dried fruit out of it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked a LbO Connecticut lancero last night, since we're gonna have rain for a week here in NorCal and I wanted to take advantage of the last dry day. It was a solid smoke, nothing wrong with it at all, but as far as I'm concerned it just doesn't compare to the corojo, and might even fall short of the maduro. It was very mellow and nice, but somewhat non-descript.

That said, a few days ago I tried another MF El Centurion H-2k-CT. It was much better than I remember it, and I suspect that having it sit around in the humidor for 6 months really helped. This one had lots of white chocolate and toasted grains, and was pretty fun to smoke. It's still probably not at the top of my list to reach for, but I would happily take another one if it smokes like that.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kenning posted:

That said, a few days ago I tried another MF El Centurion H-2k-CT. It was much better than I remember it, and I suspect that having it sit around in the humidor for 6 months really helped. This one had lots of white chocolate and toasted grains, and was pretty fun to smoke. It's still probably not at the top of my list to reach for, but I would happily take another one if it smokes like that.

I didn't think much of the H2K fresh from my local smoke shop, but after letting them rest for a couple months I found them good enough to order a box when they popped up on sale. I know they are a NFM favorite

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They are indeed! Although the Fonseca Cosacos may be taking over my favorite budget friendly MF stick position (~$5/stick).

Gentlemen, I have received the Rattray's Dark Reign Rhodesian and this is a gorgeous piece:

Almost a shame it has to get used!

Almost.

I got in some more Mac Baren Scottish Mixture - I love natural tobacco flavors and it's a fantastic everyday bulk pickup, right between Three Nuns on the spicy dude and Presbyterian on the mellow side.

Night Cap has also made a return - I'll probably have that with some Connemara tonight.

And a new pickup was Mac Baren Seven Seas. This stuff smells like rum and butter and boy howdy does it taste like it, too! I think the rest of the room is going to have a great time when I light this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I ordered some smokes from internet people so I have
18 RASS
5 r&j cazzadores
3 r&j short Churchill’s
Incoming

Not sure when I’m ever going to smoke them but at my current rate I should be able to get a year or so off of those.