Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, Blood Diner is loving WILD. I found out about it thanks to Dom Griffin's youtube channel and it does not disappoint. Watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"Selling out" seems inextricably linked to the idea of selling of one's labour-power to an employer - if not synonymous with the concept.

So the whole notion expresses a disdain for the working classes.

e: on a completely unrelated note, 2010: The Year We Make Contact is some pretty wild stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 23, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPL593H posted:

Though the other side of that coin a good friend of mine is away left wing art school guy who got a fancy high paying job doing graphic design for an ad firm. So basically he "sold out". But the hours were very long and his entire life was just that job. It drained him completely and he just hated his life. He ended up taking a different job with a severe pay cut but now he has time for himself and works on his own personal stuff and it's just been better for him. He's happier now but rapidly running out of money. So I guess either way you sacrifice one thing or the other because capitalism is a poison that destroys lives, fulfillment, and creativity.

That's me. I love having so much free time but I'm on extremely thin ice financially. Yolo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Selling out' is a really loving funny idea in retrospect given millennials got stiffed on the pay for it, and younger generations don't even have the option. Boomers bought into the system designed to give them material comfort and immediately voted to let billionaires strip it for crack money.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

e: on a completely unrelated note, 2010: The Year We Make Contact is some pretty wild stuff.

2010 is both much better and significantly worse than its reputation would imply.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

2010 is both much better and significantly worse than its reputation would imply.

It's mostly the score.

2010 is an extremely dope horror movie about soviet cosmonauts facing cosmic terror, but the score is inexplicably set to "spiritually uplifting". It's totally dissonant with what the movie's actually about.

(That, and it's got that voiceover narration. And pretty much everything on Earth is whack.)

Nonetheless, I love how the production design is this transitional form, gradually morphing 2001 into Alien.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Selling out' is a really loving funny idea in retrospect given millennials got stiffed on the pay for it, and younger generations don't even have the option. Boomers bought into the system designed to give them material comfort and immediately voted to let billionaires strip it for crack money.

It can be summed up by this fictional conversation between a Gen Xer and a Millennial:

Gen X: Oh, my job is a soul-draining hellhole, for forty hours a week I have to go in and swallow my pride and self-worth for this paycheck. And the rest of my life will be like this! I’m gonna retire having done nothing with my life, just some guy with a house and wife and a couple kids and a couple cars and all these “markers” of “making it”. But it’s all hollow, man, all hollow!
Millennial: lol sounds pretty sweet can I have your job then
Gen X: ... no. Not until I get the old guy above me’s job, anyway. Fucker’s 73 and still going!
Boomer: please let me die

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

Uh... I think you might have that backwards.

It’s been ages so it’s entirely possible!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

therattle posted:

It’s been ages so it’s entirely possible!

I think they’re referring to “punching down” against “punching up”. You got them flipped so it sounds like you think it’s holding up because he’s knocking poor people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Cameo posted:

It can be summed up by this fictional conversation between a Gen Xer and a Millennial:

Gen X: Oh, my job is a soul-draining hellhole, for forty hours a week I have to go in and swallow my pride and self-worth for this paycheck. And the rest of my life will be like this! I’m gonna retire having done nothing with my life, just some guy with a house and wife and a couple kids and a couple cars and all these “markers” of “making it”. But it’s all hollow, man, all hollow!
Millennial: lol sounds pretty sweet can I have your job then
Gen X: ... no. Not until I get the old guy above me’s job, anyway. Fucker’s 73 and still going!
Boomer: please let me die

Boomers still don't believe they will ever die

Also their job positions are going with them with duties folded into the gen xer's position

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
The boomers' ultimate act of pulling the ladder up behind them will be that the last one won't die until the earth is a completely wasted shell unsuitable for human life.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
last one to die turn off all the lights

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Cameo posted:

I think they’re referring to “punching down” against “punching up”. You got them flipped so it sounds like you think it’s holding up because he’s knocking poor people

No no, I meant what I said. Making fun of the weak, poor and oppressed never gets old!

(Sheeeeit, yes, I got it mixed up. Silly me!)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think there is a throughline though. The cult of individuality always repeats the motto "make better choices" which echoes in the idea of "don't sell out."

But then if someone struggles as a result, "it's they own drat fault." Empathy doesn't enter into it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/kingsthings/status/1352960673978880000

:(

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMib65Vqk4I

Anyway, he was good in Ghostbusters and had a weird cameo in Exorcist III.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 23, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Cameo posted:

In all fairness he kind of is punching down, like he's a movie star and he's dragging some frat boys and other schmucks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

In all fairness he kind of is punching down, like he's a movie star and he's dragging some frat boys and other schmucks.

He’s not using his star power over them as they don’t recognise him, so he’s not really punching down. White frat boys are hardly an oppressed minority - they are the exemplar of straight white male privilege.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Very true!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

"Selling out" seems inextricably linked to the idea of selling of one's labour-power to an employer - if not synonymous with the concept.

I've always had a soft spot for that film. Suffers from being an unnecessary sequel to an iconic film but it's pretty strong sci-fi aided by a cool style and amazing cast.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

When Borat came out Sacha was only known to people who tuned into HBO to watch British comedy imports. His Hollywood film work prior to the movie was Madagascar in 2005 (and he was just the lemur king, so like the third tier of stars behind the main cast and the penguins), and being the rival in Talladega Nights three months before Borat came out.

Borat made Sacha Baron Cohen into a movie star. It’s also why he was able to pull off the whole thing so well, 99% of America had no clue who the character or Sacha was (despite him having won an Emmy with his writing staff - including Seth Rogen - for Da Ali G Show in 2005, which of course featured both Borat and Brüno in segments).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok, lets not go crazy here. Before Borat, Cohen was a UK television star That is not a movie star. That's barely a celebrity.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

It's mostly the score.

2010 is an extremely dope horror movie about soviet cosmonauts facing cosmic terror, but the score is inexplicably set to "spiritually uplifting". It's totally dissonant with what the movie's actually about.

(That, and it's got that voiceover narration. And pretty much everything on Earth is whack.)

Nonetheless, I love how the production design is this transitional form, gradually morphing 2001 into Alien.

Cosmic terror and cosmic wonder are never too far apart in any case. The entire Discovery segment of 2001 is a horror story (computer goes crazy and kills people), and Prometheus does a lot of swinging from wonder to horror. (Come to think of it, Forbidden Planet has a monster, Solaris has some horror-adjacent moments, etc.)

In some ways what makes Alien different from all these is just that it doesn't play the initial discovery for wonder (and the crew don't want to gain knowledge, they're there because their contracts require it.) And even then- well something compels Kane to make that descent into the chamber. I think by that point he's genuinely curious.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gripweed posted:

Ok, lets not go crazy here. Before Borat, Cohen was a UK television star That is not a movie star. That's barely a celebrity.

Maybe the US didn't care about Ali G, but Europe did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdz2oW0NMFk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Even so, "having been a guest on 8 Out Of 10 cats and the German version of 8 Out Of 10 Cats" does not put someone in a position of privilege in America.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I think the number of people I know who were aware of Borat/Baron Cohen prior to the movie was 3-4 at best. I was pretty hyped about the movie coming because I was a big fan of Da Ali G show.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

I'm not sure I'd go that far, since the question ultimately comes down to the perception of what one is selling, and to whom. To give a rather lackluster example: Obama sold out the working class by gaining power through denouncing the economic policies that he later reinforced once he no longer needed their support.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 24, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What got me thinking about the changes in selling out discourse in the last 20 years is a recent (actually almost a year ago but time has lost all meaning) conversations with my friend and collaborator where he said something along the lines of ,,I might be an unemployed loser on disability but at least I don't work in loving advertising." After we saw a saccharine bank commercial at the movies.

And how every other thing nowadays is #sponsoredcontent and the line between art and advertisment has become so vague that Adorno and Horkheimer would probably explode.

It's understandable (a man's gotta eat) but I don't know if understandable means it's a good thing.

It reminds me of how just before the financial collapse the arts in Iceland were heavily financed by the banks, which some or you might've heard were a bit corrupt, and as such artists were very vary of criticising any of that or making any work that could be even vaguely read as political. One dude did and was essentially black listed by his colleagues for rocking the boat.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 24, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I might be an unemployed loser on disability but at least I don't work in loving advertising."

This is a really low bar. And I'm saying that as someone who is long term unemployed and on disability

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'At least I don't work in x' doesn't really work anymore now it's pretty clear 'no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism' also applies to work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Only sell your soul in the thinnest slices.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

See this is what I mean. The stigma of selling out has been largely replaced by widespread acceptance that everything sucks and it's impossible to have integrity if you want to survive. Some of us use that as fuel to try to change the system but largely that "wisdom" was just used to denigrate anyone trying to do anything but submit to the system as hypocritical, lazy, naive or "probably rich or something". It was never a case of people trying to shame someone for working at burger king, it was always people being mad someone dared to question the new orthodoxy created by the early 90s recession, where basically you need to eat poo poo to live because all the good jobs went away.

I'll take misguided idealism over resigned cynical smugness any day.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'At least I don't work in x' doesn't really work anymore now it's pretty clear 'no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism' also applies to work.

I hate this argument. It suggests that because nothing is good, everything is equally bad. I just don’t think that’s true.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therattle posted:

I hate this argument. It suggests that because nothing is good, everything is equally bad. I just don’t think that’s true.

It's the most lazy form of pessimism and it feels pretty widespread among millennials.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

therattle posted:

No that's not what "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism means". It means that you personally can't do good in the world by shopping at Trader Joes instead of Target. The burden is not on you to live a moral life through your consumption because there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. It all feeds the same machine. It's not your responsibility to find the right things to buy to be a good person, because the entire idea that you can be a good person by buying the right things is just marketing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gripweed posted:

No that's not what "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism means". It means that you personally can't do good in the world by shopping at Trader Joes instead of Target. The burden is not on you to live a moral life through your consumption because there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. It all feeds the same machine. It's not your responsibility to find the right things to buy to be a good person, because the entire idea that you can be a good person by buying the right things is just marketing.

I believe the rattle is quite right with respect to how the argument frequently gets deployed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched Promising Young Woman and it’s really good. The ending could be a little tighter but overall it’s a fantastic Carey Mulligan performance and what else do you really need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5kiFDunk8

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched Promising Young Woman and it’s really good. The ending could be a little tighter but overall it’s a fantastic Carey Mulligan performance and what else do you really need?

I can't exactly tell from the trailer, but is it a "look how awful literally every single man is" type movie?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I remember seeing the trailer for that in theaters (lol) and I had no idea that was Carey Mulligan. Then again I have that classic goon face blindness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tall4all/status/1353399942551904256?s=21