Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
You wake up in a future. You can somehow understand the language, but you are not familiar with the history or tech. You are from a period of time proceeding the present so distant that events and first person perspective are no longer available to the minds of the broader public.

You meet people who are societal rejects, but they take pity on you and help you. You seek out media documenting your time period. It’s all wrong, laughably different than how you remember it. The people of your time are criticized heavily for being against the current social stigmas that have become acceptable in the present. Your memory of this is 180 degrees opposite of the factual history media is telling you. Every hate crime of this period is blamed on your generation without mention of the massive opposition to it. Ideas that you personally opposed are without hesitation are ascribed to being supported by a majority of your generation. The historical accounts are altered from what you clearly remembered.

The political climate that you are in punishes those who speak of facts in a manner that embarrasses the status quo or goes against the official historic narrative. You notice that certain music, movies, and best selling books are missing from the archives. You notice that ideas of your current surroundings are heavily regulated. People who you’ve built trust in tell you that there are certain ways to behave without getting yourself into trouble. They advise you on daily life, initially out of fears that you might be suffering from mental illness, but over time they come to realize the truth. They start to believe what you are telling them about you having been transported to a present that is years after you youngest great grand child has died at the age of seventy. Your friends ask you the question: “what was your time really like?”

You’ve observed with great paranoia that a generation ago that people who denied the official evidence of a mass sanctioned execution of undocumented migrants at the southern border back in 2016 had been routinely turned in to the authorities by their own children and had been imprisoned. You were around in 2016, but it’s 160 years into the future. You know that there are obviously lies written in the archives and entire mentions of some of your favorite entertainment is gone.

What would you do?

Would you tell the truth or keep your head down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
We always wake up in the future, Seraph

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
are there still waffle houses?

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

We always wake up in the future, Seraph

We’ve established that we are two different people.

I’m in a different city and have way more coins than he does.

So tell me. In that scenario what do you do?

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

OMFG FURRY posted:

are there still waffle houses?

Even a mere mention of that place gets you sent to prison due to their association with the political party that lost the war. There were various groups that collect Waffle House paraphernalia like menus and plates, some used to wear the Waffle House uniform when it became illegal in secret, but now chanting Waffle House hash brown preferences can easily land you in prison.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

We’ve established that we are two different people.

I’m in a different city and have way more coins than he does.

So tell me. In that scenario what do you do?

I don't read your awful op and successfully identify you as seraph

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I don't read your awful op and successfully identify you as seraph

He’s Marco Polo and I’m Columbus.

You know, there are people outside of this place that speak of legends from this place.

And there is more than one guy who bought Bitcoin.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

yeah, but you're seraph

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Two sides of the same buttcoin.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

Even a mere mention of that place gets you sent to prison due to their association with the political party that lost the war. There were various groups that collect Waffle House paraphernalia like menus and plates, some used to wear the Waffle House uniform when it became illegal in secret, but now chanting Waffle House hash brown preferences can easily land you in prison.

So IHOP is the political faction that rules the future?

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

That same thread that you linked to he appeared and berated me for how much worse that my opinions were than his.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

That same thread that you linked to he appeared and berated me for how much worse that my opinions were than his.

Ok then, sorry for the misunderstanding. There's no way seraph would register multiple accounts.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cool thread. I will contribute.

Poop poo poo fart rear end fart poop poo poo rear end fart poop poo poo.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Bronze Fonz posted:

Ok then, sorry for the misunderstanding. There's no way seraph would register multiple accounts.

lol

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I realize I should have voted for Bernie Sanders.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Future? Hey, I hardly know her!

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

So IHOP is the political faction that rules the future?

IHOP was not in the archives at all. Walmart is mentioned only in videos that survived a purge that wasn’t explicitly mentioned when it occurred. All that you know is that there was a period of time where it became official policy to erase certain things and ideas from history. Some things are occasionally seen via survival in old literature that managed to escape purging, but there are a lot of doubts by the crazies that you hang around when they see forgeries of historical literature banned by the state and they are unable to verify their legitimacy.

There is a lot of chatter and suspicion within the banned historian community that several of the members are actually government agents no longer trying to entrap members but to instead surveil and mislead them with extremely accurate forgeries in order to confuse the narrative.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Xenocides posted:

I realize I should have voted for Bernie Sanders.

Purged. No record found on him. No photo found. One mention survives in an old joke book.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Bronze Fonz posted:

Yeah, but I am not him and he has different knowledge and tastes than I do. Just think of questions that he wouldn’t have an answer to and see if I answer differently.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

Just think of questions that he wouldn’t have an answer to and see if I answer differently.

No.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

IHOP was not in the archives at all. Walmart is mentioned only in videos that survived a purge that wasn’t explicitly mentioned when it occurred. All that you know is that there was a period of time where it became official policy to erase certain things and ideas from history. Some things are occasionally seen via survival in old literature that managed to escape purging, but there are a lot of doubts by the crazies that you hang around when they see forgeries of historical literature banned by the state and they are unable to verify their legitimacy.

There is a lot of chatter and suspicion within the banned historian community that several of the members are actually government agents no longer trying to entrap members but to instead surveil and mislead them with extremely accurate forgeries in order to confuse the narrative.

I don't care about any of this poo poo I just want some loving pancakes. And don't pull that "In the future there are no pancakes because they purged the blah blah blah from the
some bullshit.". I know goddamn well there are future pancakes and you'd better loving tell me where to find them.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 23, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Did he use his ill gotten gains to buy pancakes?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

So the future is just one long "begs the question" about norms of our current situation? If questioning past (I.E. current) gets you in trouble, then nothing has really changed at all, and you're just making an excuse for modern conservatism to be persecuted in the future.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hush-a-bye
Don't you cry
Go to sleepy little baby
Go to sleepy little baby
When you wake
You shall have
All the pretty little horsies

Blacks and bays
Dapples and greys

Way down yonder
In the meadow
Lies a poor little lamby
Bees and butterflies
Flitting round his eyes
Poor little thing is crying
"Mammy"

Go to sleep
Don't you cry
Rest your head upon the clover
Rest your head upon the clover
In your dreams
You shall ride
Whilst your mammy's watching over

Blacks and bays
Dapples and greys

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

I don't care about any of this poo poo I just want some loving pancakes. And don't pull that "In the future there are no pancakes because they purged the blah blah blah from the
some bullshit.". I know goddamn well there are future pancakes and you'd better loving tell me where to find them.

The pancakes you know now are radically different than what is served in the future. A period of time after your son’s death at the age of 67 had a shift in politics that made obesity into a victim hood class. The food industry was targeted heavily by government. Spoons started being criticized as causing early onset obesity. A campaign to limit the populous’ intake of food and limit choice was sold as not only a good thing, but the correct ideal. Soon certain menu items slowly rose in price and shrunk in size. A generation had gone by and new recipes were formulated to make the item healthier and less tasty. Soon the correct and enforced opinion was that food should not taste good due to its devistating impact on people of lower privilege. Pancakes are still available, but the restaurant is no longer allowed to give you unlimited syrup. The generation that you are surrounded by has a word for people like you who would want to try what their great grandparents knew. They have been conditioned to react with great disgust when someone mentions food being tasty in any way. Much like using a racial slur in your time could illicit a disgusting reaction when said in the wrong time or place.

Unfortunately, you have learned quickly from your friends that there are pancakes in the same way a man of the 1870’s would wonder where the cocaine toothache medicine is sold. There are pancakes, they just aren’t made with the same ingredients. There is toothache medicine, it just isn’t made with cocaine anymore...

Sorry friend. It’s the times.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'll just make my own pancakes.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Linux Pirate posted:

So the future is just one long "begs the question" about norms of our current situation? If questioning past (I.E. current) gets you in trouble, then nothing has really changed at all, and you're just making an excuse for modern conservatism to be persecuted in the future.

What you find out to your amazement is that the appeasers of today who stand for women’s rights whilst allowing religious fundamentalists who do not tolerate such rights into their own societies were later viewed with the same ire that monuments to abolitionists and the 54th Massachusetts Regiment were recently defaced. In the future, today’s correct opinion holders who are viewing themselves on the right side of history find themselves on the wrong side of history due to some future political issue that they had no way of predicting.

BSN_tg_bgg fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 23, 2021

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

I'll just make my own pancakes.

You should be ashamed you taste supremacist!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

What you find out to your amazement is that the appeasers of today who stand for women’s rights whilst allowing religious fundamentalists who do not tolerate such rights into their own societies were later viewed with the same ire that monuments to abolitionists and the 54th Massachusetts Regiment were recently defaced. In the future, today’s correct opinion holders who are viewing themselves on the right side of history find themselves on the wrong side of history due to some future political issue that they had no way of predicting.

So NAMBLA won?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

What you find out to your amazement is that the appeasers of today who stand for women’s rights whilst allowing religious fundamentalists who do not tolerate such rights into their own societies were later views with the same ire that monuments to abolitionists and the 54th Massachusetts Regiment monuments were defaced. In the future, today’s correct opinion holders who are viewing themselves on the right side of history find themselves on the wrong side of history due to some future political issue that they had no way of predicting.

So what your saying is future pancakes are sexist, but it's a good thing because history agrees with it, even though it's on the wrong side of history?

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Xenocides posted:

So NAMBLA won?

Yes. A period into the future you see that child protective services started taking kids who wished to transition away from their parents who refused to allow treatment. This of course became a popularly supported opinion that children’s welfare pertained to the state more than the parents. The slippery slope is still listed as an ideological fallacy in state approved course material on logic.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

You should be ashamed you taste supremacist!

I have no shame. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to use a pancake as a makeshift funnel to pour an entire bottom of maple syrup into my fat disgusting face.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Linux Pirate posted:

So what your saying is future pancakes are sexist, but it's a good thing because history agrees with it, even though it's on the wrong side of history?

Pancakes are ableist. In the future it is realized that an effort must be made to be inclusive in every possible food allergy. Since not everyone can digest or handle exposure to certain foods, they slowly. And from what you see very slowly like decades in the process slow, get fundamentally altered in order to prevent the spread of a global health crisis of obesity.

Disagreeing with this is like disagreeing to universal non smoking restaurants and indoor vaping bans. You don’t want to have the wrong opinion.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm going to open a pancake restaurant where smoking is mandatory. I don't even smoke I'm just doing it for spite.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

I have no shame. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to use a pancake as a makeshift funnel to pour an entire bottom of maple syrup into my fat disgusting face.

A future descendant of yours described you with contempt when condemning your ways that were totally normal during your time. Obesity denial and enabling simultaneously cast you as both the victim and the aggressor depending on where it was most convenient to the politician describing you at the time.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

Pancakes are ableist. In the future it is realized that an effort must be made to be inclusive in every possible food allergy. Since not everyone can digest or handle exposure to certain foods, they slowly. And from what you see very slowly like decades in the process slow, get fundamentally altered in order to prevent the spread of a global health crisis of obesity.

Disagreeing with this is like disagreeing to universal non smoking restaurants and indoor vaping bans. You don’t want to have the wrong opinion.

Ok, so you're just a bad faith idiot making up pretend future standards.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

I'm going to open a pancake restaurant where smoking is mandatory. I don't even smoke I'm just doing it for spite.

The people of the future would be as appalled at what you just wrote as you would be if you found out that your grandfather had attended klan meetings.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Linux Pirate posted:

Ok, so you're just a bad faith idiot making up pretend future standards.

I’m sure the abolitionists would have thought the same thing if I were able to tell them what would happen to their statues 155 years after slavery was abolished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

A future descendant of yours described you with contempt when condemning your ways that were totally normal during your time. Obesity denial and enabling simultaneously cast you as both the victim and the aggressor depending on where it was most convenient to the politician describing you at the time.

Did you miss the part where I said I have no shame? Tell those bitches to come into my restaurant. I'll tar and feather them but instead of tar and feathers it's going to be maple syrup and cigarette ashes.