Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
It seems like people looking for a used wagon with some performance and a dash of machismo should check out the Dodge Magnum RT or SRT-8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How many of those that aren’t completely beaten to poo poo could there possibly be?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bouillon Rube posted:

How many of those that aren’t completely beaten to poo poo could there possibly be?

zero. neat cars but it's now a fifteen year old Chrysler product

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

zero. neat cars but it's now a fifteen year old Chrysler product

You know, I thought there would probably a few dozen low mileage garage queens owned by boomers, but assumed they would want classic boomer muscle car prices; but it looks like there was a clean 2005 Magnum RT for ‘only’ $17k on bring a trailer recently. Still a fifteen year old daimler chrysler tho, so lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I looked at a cheap one some months back and the interior is so lovely, just lovely hard plastics everywhere. The 300 is still the same chassis right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I looked at a cheap one some months back and the interior is so lovely, just lovely hard plastics everywhere. The 300 is still the same chassis right?

The revised platform since 2010 is LD, which is generally similar but pretty much entirely revised. The new 300 is a lot nicer than the old one. (Also, interior has basically nothing to do with chassis other than maybe infotainment).

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yes, and the last refresh dates to the cerberus chrysler era.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Talk me out of buying my 4x4 pickup Tacoma Silverado or Canyon brand new instead of used

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

From what I’ve seen if you’re going to get a Tacoma you might as well get a new one because they barely discount the used ones.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ethanol posted:

Talk me out of buying my 4x4 pickup Tacoma Silverado or Canyon brand new instead of used

The used truck market is insane right now across the board. I bought a new ranger but was pricing colorados as well...the used ones were only a slight discount to new model years.

Tacomas are already overpriced.

Fwiw, I wanted to love the Tacoma I looked at. It had everything I wanted and I was paying for the known reliability of a Toyota. However I hated driving it. The seats weren’t comfortable, the hood scoop on the front was obnoxious and I could barely see over it, and the v6 is hilariously weak compared to the colorado’s v6 and the ranger’s turbo 4-cylinder.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

its the old reliability question that scares me from domestic...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ethanol posted:

its the old reliability question that scares me from domestic...

Main reason I went with the ranger over the Colorado.

The US ranger is on the same engine as the Australian version that’s been around for a while...something like ten years of proven reliability.

The Colorado had some transmission issues early on but apparently changing out the transmission fluid fixes it in the 2017+ models that were affected. The Colorado has a horrible JD Power reliability or consumer reports score but I’ve heard those ratings are kinda bullshit.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think what's more important is the list of the actual issues that vehicle is likely to have, and then the willingness of dealership or manufacturer to fix them. I believe first generation of Mini Coopers are famous for being neglected at BMW dealerships when it came to warranty repairs.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Edit: Nevermind, car is gone now :(

Bank fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 28, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No idea, but is resale value on Tesla's that low? I assumed they would hold their value pretty well. I'd also check the fine print and see if the free supercharging is transferable or not.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Bank fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 28, 2021

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Alright goons help me out here, because I may be looking for a unicorn but hopefully there's something that works for me.

Current situation: I have a hatchback 2015 Focus. Unfortunately I did zero research on buying the car and I loved the test drive so I bought it (used, this was 3 years ago). Obviously the transmission poo poo itself and I did get it fixed under warranty but it taught me the lesson of actually researching cars before I buy. Anyway I have one child right now, a toddler, but by August there's going to be a newborn. I love little cars but even at 5'8" my toddler's car seat can't fit behind me so when there's two car seats that's obviously not going to work. It's really like 2 or 3 inches at most that I need more. I can't give up my hatchback because I'm the primary at home parent and I'll need the space for a double stroller plus whatever else (groceries, kid sport poo poo in the future, whatever).

So basically I'm searching for a car that's big enough for two rear facing car seats but not really big and preferably not that high off the road because I don't really like being high up. I have driven my wife's Crosstrek a few times and while I could get used to it, it is higher than I'm really comfortable with.

I know the seat will fit behind me when I'm in the Crosstrek, and if I understand correctly, the Impreza wagon is the same dimensions? So that's a definite possibility. But I've really been looking at the Kia Niro as well. The prices seem good, I've read that Kia reliability is top notch and I like that it's a hybrid since I will be doing most of the driving (eventually).

Besides those it seems like anything that can fit two car seats + hatch is an SUV that I frankly don't think I'd ever be comfortable in. My wife had an Escape that we sold when she went full work from home and I hated driving it.

I should say budget is $18k, but $16k would be ideal, I live in Florida. Top priority is the car seats, of course, with safety next. I'd love Android Auto but that's still not as common so it's not a deal breaker. I really don't give a poo poo about performance because I drive like an old man.

So I guess mostly tell me about the Niro and any pitfalls involved with them. I've been keeping an eye on Carmax hoping they get a Niro in so I can lug the car seat in and test it in person.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Prius, depending on leg length and car seat? Also rear facing seats can have angle adjusters for more front seat room.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Humerus posted:

Alright goons help me out here, because I may be looking for a unicorn but hopefully there's something that works for me.

Current situation: I have a hatchback 2015 Focus. Unfortunately I did zero research on buying the car and I loved the test drive so I bought it (used, this was 3 years ago). Obviously the transmission poo poo itself and I did get it fixed under warranty but it taught me the lesson of actually researching cars before I buy. Anyway I have one child right now, a toddler, but by August there's going to be a newborn. I love little cars but even at 5'8" my toddler's car seat can't fit behind me so when there's two car seats that's obviously not going to work. It's really like 2 or 3 inches at most that I need more. I can't give up my hatchback because I'm the primary at home parent and I'll need the space for a double stroller plus whatever else (groceries, kid sport poo poo in the future, whatever).

So basically I'm searching for a car that's big enough for two rear facing car seats but not really big and preferably not that high off the road because I don't really like being high up. I have driven my wife's Crosstrek a few times and while I could get used to it, it is higher than I'm really comfortable with.

I know the seat will fit behind me when I'm in the Crosstrek, and if I understand correctly, the Impreza wagon is the same dimensions? So that's a definite possibility. But I've really been looking at the Kia Niro as well. The prices seem good, I've read that Kia reliability is top notch and I like that it's a hybrid since I will be doing most of the driving (eventually).

Besides those it seems like anything that can fit two car seats + hatch is an SUV that I frankly don't think I'd ever be comfortable in. My wife had an Escape that we sold when she went full work from home and I hated driving it.

I should say budget is $18k, but $16k would be ideal, I live in Florida. Top priority is the car seats, of course, with safety next. I'd love Android Auto but that's still not as common so it's not a deal breaker. I really don't give a poo poo about performance because I drive like an old man.

So I guess mostly tell me about the Niro and any pitfalls involved with them. I've been keeping an eye on Carmax hoping they get a Niro in so I can lug the car seat in and test it in person.

Serious question: Have you shopped for smaller car seats? Somehow Europeans get around with 2 kids in a golf, so I assume they buy car seats that fit. People seem to be buying $20k items around like a $300 item and it feels like it should be the other way around.

There's not many wagons left and even fewer that are reliable, but that's your path. In order of reliable to not in somewhat used cars:
Acura TSX wagon (small) -- VW Golf Wagon -- Mercedes E class wagon -- Volvos (Volvos been on a marked reliability decline lately).

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

We looked at car seats yesterday since the toddler is going to need a new one soon. The seats that are rear facing for the longest, and therefore the safest, all are pretty much the same size. If we put the toddler forward facing it wouldn't be a problem but that's not worth it for us. I don't think the Prius back seat will work but it will be easy enough to check. Like I said the second baby isn't due until August so there's no rush. I'll keep an eye out for these wagons, though ideally I won't be replacing my 2015 with something older so it looks like the Acura is out. How does the Niro stack up to those other ones? I know that interior dimensions on a spec sheet can't give a full view but comparing the Niro to my Focus makes it seem like it would work.
Thanks for the advice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

Prius, depending on leg length and car seat? Also rear facing seats can have angle adjusters for more front seat room.

Prius V also an option, the Wagon Prius. I think the cabin is the same length, offhand, though.

The Niro is not large.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Prius V also an option, the Wagon Prius. I think the cabin is the same length, offhand, though.

The Niro is not large.

Well that's fine because I don't want a large car, just larger than the Focus. Like I said, I may be searching for the impossible and I know I'm going to have to compromise something. Prius Vs are hard to find but that was definitely up on my list as well.
I suggested to my wife that her Crosstrek could just be the "family car" and when (if?) she returns to the office she could just drive my Focus there and leave the Crosstrek for me hauling the kids. She'd rather me get a different car. But there's no rush so I guess the next few months are going to be us test driving and putting strollers and car seats in a ton of cars and figuring out what I even want.
You've all been helpful so thanks again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the kia Niro is exactly the same OAL as the focus hatchback, with the niro riding on a 2" longer wheelbase. Ford interior packaging on the Focus was god awful so the Niro likely has marginally more interior room, but it will not make much of a difference.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's why I strap my kids to the hood of my miata.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Jalopnik's Will It Baby series showed me that all parents should have a Weinermobile.

https://jalopnik.com/oscar-mayer-wienermobile-will-it-baby-1056967001

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ethanol posted:

Taco: gently caress it buy new
Silverado: Haven't looked at resale on these
Colorado/Canyon: Maybe buy used depending on the trim. I got a bit lucky and this time last year, I bought an oddball-as-gently caress 2018 Canyon config that you can't even buy new anymore (Duramax, SLE trim, crewcab longbed 2WD) with only 13k miles on it for something like $10k less than it would have stickered if I could have found it new anywhere. Longbeds are rare, Duramax trucks are rare, the Duramax combined with a cloth interior is extremely rare. Vast majority of new Duramax trucks I could find were Denalis / ZR2s and the like because it seems like dealers don't want to order a mid-trim truck with the diesel.

nwin posted:

The Colorado had some transmission issues early on but apparently changing out the transmission fluid fixes it in the 2017+ models that were affected. The Colorado has a horrible JD Power reliability or consumer reports score but I’ve heard those ratings are kinda bullshit.

The only transmission issues I'm aware of are some wonky shifting in the eight-speed automatic trucks, which yeah would be a 2017+ gasser. Camaros and other 8L** transmission equipped GM vehicles also have the issue so it's well documented and it does seem to be fixed with a change to a newer / thinner ATF. Earlier gas trucks and all Duramax trucks have the older 6L50 that does just fine on Dexron VI.

You aren't going to have a Honda experience with any of these trucks. The aforementioned Canyon (now with nearly 40k miles) definitely has an interior that isn't as tightly put together as my CR-V was and now has a few rattles I need to track down. But it's still a very nice truck to drive, gets stupid fuel mileage, and tows / hauls like a dream.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
More on the side of keeping what ya have, what about the Chicco KeyFit 30 carseat? Googled it up, infant seat that this site lists as being 22" - I have a rear facing toddler and front facing child in a Golf and that thing sounds pretty slick to fit in a smaller car: https://www.babycenter.com/baby-products/car-seats/best-compact-car-seats_40007320.

And some food for thought, to be the absolute safest guidelines say up to 4 or 5 years old to be rear facing, but we dug around and it was about 2.5 years when we turned our older one front facing cause we felt it was still plenty safe enough and she was getting bored and antsy staring out the back. Lot less random crying and all from the backseat once she could see everything forward. Stick with rear facing as long as you feel comfortable for sure, but personally I'd say (not knowing how old your toddler is now) do some stewing on timelines, measure how that Chicco Keyfit would sit, and when you could go from doing that Chicco behind the driver to flipping the older one to front facing and swapping them behind the driver. I dunno room in that car or your requirements on the passenger side, but guessing you have more wiggle room for space over there. If it were me, I'd rather find the smallest carseats I could and even sit in a funky cramped position for a while till at least one seat could be flipped forward over going through the cost and hassle of a different vehicle, unless just wanting a new ride anyway.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Humerus posted:

She'd rather me get a different car.

That seems like a somewhat extreme and BWM solution to the problem?

To y’all yanks: EU regs only require rearward-facing seats for infants up to 15 months, afaik. And even that seems new, as I want to say it was 12 months in Germany.
Recommendation in EU is 24 months.

US is 24 months by law in some states, recommendation seems to be 4 years according to the CDC?!?

That makes US seats enormous, and creates the whole car size issue.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Currently I'm driving a 2007 Honda Accord and was looking at getting a used 2015 Accord as a replacement. As I was researching I've found better deals for the 2016/2017 models but they have CVT transmissions which seem to be expensive to fix if there's ever an issue with them. I guess I'm wondering if I should keep focusing on 2015 models, if cvt is worth it, or if I should look at other models of sedans. I'd like to try to find something under the $20000 range if that's possible.

Tl;dr:
Current Car Model: 2007 Honda Accord
Looking at: 2015 Honda Accords
Budget: Under $20000 if possible
Style preference: 4 door sedan
Wondering: If CVT transmission in 2016/2017 models is something to be wary of, and other options in price range you'd recommend me looking at

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Silverado: Haven't looked at resale on these

The resale on Silverado's is still batshit high right now - and still really good historically.

And since most people looking at the ridiculous MSRP for new ones become convinced that a 3 year old lease turn in listed for the high $30's is a great deal.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

She's nearly grown out of her current car seat which is maximum 35 inches or pounds (she's like 32 inches and less than 30 pounds), but the car seats with rear facing for the longest go up to 50 pounds. Her current seat is a Chicco (I think it's a Fit2) and with it set to the toddler incline it can't fit behind me, but that was something I suggested too - a new infant seat for baby 2 and the bigger seat for the toddler on the passenger side. That way at least we wouldn't need to think about it until baby 2 outgrew the first car seat. Even a couple hundred for a car seat is cheaper than a car.

The thing is while I do like my Focus it's only a matter of time until the transmission shits itself again, and that's covered for 100k miles but it's a whole hassle I don't want to deal with when I have two kids and it happens again.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Currently I'm driving a 2007 Honda Accord and was looking at getting a used 2015 Accord as a replacement. As I was researching I've found better deals for the 2016/2017 models but they have CVT transmissions which seem to be expensive to fix if there's ever an issue with them. I guess I'm wondering if I should keep focusing on 2015 models, if cvt is worth it, or if I should look at other models of sedans. I'd like to try to find something under the $20000 range if that's possible.

Tl;dr:
Wondering: If CVT transmission in 2016/2017 models is something to be wary of, and other options in price range you'd recommend me looking at

Accords from 2013-2017 are 9th gen and all 4 cylinder in the US at least are CVT I think. Maybe there was a manual with 4? I think only the v6 had an automatic available. I have a 2013 EX-L with the 4, just under 80k miles now. I really like it. I mean it's not a sports car or anything, but it drives nice and is plenty fast enough. In pre-covid times my commute was about 30 miles each way on the highway and my overall gas mileage is over 33. Only problems I've had are twice in the span of a month I had someone run into my rear bumper and drive off without leaving a note or anything. :(

I like it enough that though I can afford something fancier, a 10th gen with that engine from the CTR is on my list for an upgrade.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

teh_Broseph posted:

More on the side of keeping what ya have, what about the Chicco KeyFit 30 carseat? Googled it up, infant seat that this site lists as being 22" - I have a rear facing toddler and front facing child in a Golf and that thing sounds pretty slick to fit in a smaller car: https://www.babycenter.com/baby-products/car-seats/best-compact-car-seats_40007320.

I'm pretty sure that's the seat I had when my kiddo was tiny and it still didn't fit for poo poo in the back of a Mazdaspeed3. Rear-facing seats are all gigantic. I went a year before finally giving up and getting a CR-V and my only regret is not doing it when she was born instead.

Gaunab posted:

Tl;dr:

I'm 99.9% certain that 2014 and 2015 Accords also have CVTs, since Honda was pairing those up with the EarthDreams direct injected versions of the K24, and I believe the Accord got that in 2014. The CR-V didn't get it until 2015.

You should be able to get an Accord of that vintage *well* below $20k, even for a low mileage / high trim example in great condition.

This is an extremely unpopular opinion in AI but I like Honda's CVT. It is a much better pairing with the K24 than the five-speed automatic, since at any speed you can stomp on the throttle and get into the engine's narrow powerband. The five-speed has a few spots where it can't kick down far enough to bring the revs up and it feels like you're barely gaining any speed. I think we're at the point in the lifespan of those vehicles where if they were having major transmission failures it would already be widespread knowledge.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like cars.com's car seat check as a place to start for seeing how cars compare.

Both of our cars are enormous and neither fit the relatively compact keyfit 30 with the base all that well even though it's on the smaller end. The GX470 in particular I have to move the seat forward like 6" and tilt myself upright much more than is comfortable.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I am buying a used car in the 15k range and in order to afford to pay cash, I may need to put off maxing out my 2021 IRA for a month or two and/or take a big chunk of my emergency fund and/or pay short term capital gains tax on a withdrawal from my brokerage account. Is this a situation where it would make sense to finance even though I can technically pay cash? Is there any truth to the idea that you can game the system and get a cheaper price because you're financing but just pay it off immediately?

The cap gains tax would be a very small amount so that's kind of pointless to even think about I guess. I've just always been aware of the idea that it's OK to take out a loan if your investments earn more than the interest, but never put it into practice and was wondering if now is the right time

feelix fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 29, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are lots of situations where it's okay to take out a loan. If you have good credit and you can choose between a low interest loan, dipping into your emergency fund or pilfering your retirement account, I have no idea why you wouldn't take the loan.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I wouldn't be pilfering, just missing out on a month or two of interest but I gotcha. What is a ballpark "good" interest rate for a car loan right now?

Like, Carvana's in-house financing ranges from 3.9 to 5.0 for a 12 month loan on a $15k car depending on how much I put down. I have no point of reference to compare that to. If that's not great, how do I go about finding third-party lenders?

My credit score is 790.

feelix fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 29, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Finding people to loan you money is not difficult.

Those Carvana rates are high-ish. Lightstream is advertising 2.99% right now and you should probably qualify based on your credit score. BoA, CapitalOne, and Ally all seem to be fairly competitive right now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Check out your local credit unions too.

For example, mine in Arizona is offering 2.24% to 2.64% currently for 24-60 months. I got preapproved for 1.90% for a 36 month back in October, the dealership matched it and gave me another $3,000 in Hyundaibucks toward the car, which is waaay more than what I'll pay in interest for the amount I borrowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

feelix posted:

I wouldn't be pilfering, just missing out on a month or two of interest but I gotcha. What is a ballpark "good" interest rate for a car loan right now?

Like, Carvana's in-house financing ranges from 3.9 to 5.0 for a 12 month loan on a $15k car depending on how much I put down. I have no point of reference to compare that to. If that's not great, how do I go about finding third-party lenders?

My credit score is 790.

Our credit union is offering about 3% on a used car loan. A CU will generally be your best bet for low interest rates.

I suspect that most of your options are close to the same in terms of net cost. Convenience and simplicity are probably going matter most.