Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good fólk horror:
-Blood on Satan's Claw
-The Wicker Man
-The VVitch
-Witchfinder General
-The Company of Wolves
-Viy
-Errementari
-Onibaba
-The Ritual
-Hagazussa
-The Wailing
-Mystics in Bali
-The Ritual

Halloween 3 kinda?

I'm currently working on what is essentially a 17th century folk horror Predator.

Still in the research phase. Am going to submit a application to the film fund to develop it this spring at the latest.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I want to watch Witchfinder General again

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good fólk horror:
-Blood on Satan's Claw
-The Wicker Man
-The VVitch
-Witchfinder General
-The Company of Wolves
-Viy
-Errementari
-Onibaba
-The Ritual
-Hagazussa
-The Wailing
-Mystics in Bali
-The Ritual

Halloween 3 kinda?

I'm currently working on what is essentially a 17th century folk horror Predator.

Still in the research phase. Am going to submit a application to the film fund to develop it this spring at the latest.

Also this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053719/

Debbie Does Dagon and I watched it when I streamed it and it's good! Never heard of it but the Evolution of Horror podcast talked it up in their Folk Horror section so I decided to check it out. Plucky college student goes to research a quaint New England town with a history of burning witches at the suggestion of her professor (Christopher Lee). All is NOT kosher in that town!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good fólk horror:
-Blood on Satan's Claw
-The Wicker Man
-The VVitch
-Witchfinder General
-The Company of Wolves
-Viy
-Errementari
-Onibaba
-The Ritual
-Hagazussa
-The Wailing
-Mystics in Bali
-The Ritual

Halloween 3 kinda?

That's a solid rear end list, I guess folk horror is better than slashers after all. Also your project sounds awesome.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Iron Crowned posted:

Well Escape Room was way better than I expected

Has anyone been able to see Escape Room 2? I just checked and apparently it's already out, is it streaming anywhere?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

The opening scene still makes me wonder if they've ever attempted a "hidden object puzzle" movie.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Has anyone been able to see Escape Room 2? I just checked and apparently it's already out, is it streaming anywhere?

Does it deliver on the insane, Saw-like premise it sets up with the ending stinger?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I finally caved and watched Possessor (I was saving it until my new TV was set up) and boy oh boy that was excellent.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
So I recently rewatched The Descent the other night (still owns) and decided to give the sequel a go. I'd heard it wasn't great but man, was it ever BAD. It does nothing interesting or fun, it looks cheap as hell and almost retroactively makes the first movie worse. One of the best things about The Descent is how it was all lit from the flashlights and their handheld camera but somehow in the sequel everything is bright in the caves and or all green sometimes??

I highly recommend not ever watching The Descent 2.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It doesn't look like it's been released yet.

el oso fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 22, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Iron Crowned posted:

Can you clarify which; there are three movies by that title, two of which came out in the same month of the same year, and all of which involve people getting suckered into an escape room game that turns deadly.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Argue posted:

Can you clarify which; there are three movies by that title, two of which came out in the same month of the same year, and all of which involve people getting suckered into an escape room game that turns deadly.

This is the good one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tarnop posted:

This is the good one

That's the one. Those letterboxed reviews though, I sometimes really wonder about other people.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I finally get to stream one of my top 4 favourite films of all time, Singapore Sling! :syoon:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Week 4 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, January 23rd

1900 Time of the Wolf
2100 Zombi 2 or Zombie Flesh Eaters

Monday, January 25th

1900 See China and Die
2035 Singapore Sling

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

I finally get to stream one of my top 4 favourite films of all time, Singapore Sling! :syoon:

drat, I've really been wanting to see that since you posted about it a while ago (in one of the challenge threads maybe?), I'm gonna try to join the stream on Monday.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

drat, I've really been wanting to see that since you posted about it a while ago (in one of the challenge threads maybe?), I'm gonna try to join the stream on Monday.

In the October Challenge! I hope you can make it :) for everyone who missed the thread:

quote:

Singapore Sling is filmed and narrated like an elegant, sophisticated film noir, and concerns a super horny incestuous mother/daughter team of serial killers. The mother is trans, and the daughter won't stop masturbating, and vomits and pisses on people she has sex with, sometimes whilst conducting electroconvulsive therapy on them. It has the most beautiful, dreamiest set design and costuming, with fabulously measured yet unhinged performances from both lead actors. It is everything I want from a film, and I want it poured endlessly into each of my welcoming orifices until the end of time. This is a film that would live happily in a sandwich between Alucarda and Man Bites Dog. It is wonderful. It is my everything. And I can’t stop gushing about it. Where to begin?

We first encounter our heroines, known only as “Mother” and “Daughter”, as they dig a grave whilst in their negligees, raincoats, and swimming goggles. The grave will soon belong to their recently departed maid, one in a long line of service people invited to Mother and Daughter’s manor house, ostensibly for work, but the reality is, well, more complicated. A private detective stumbles into this pair’s grasp after investigating the death of one such employee, and the film follows his capture, torture, degradation, rape, denial of food, water, and comfort, psychological abuse, and the many frequent mind games at his expense. Did I mention this is a comedy?

Not only is this film funny, and I mean that in the blackest, darkest sense of the word, it’s also remarkably charming, in a way oddly reminiscent of Heathers. Let me slide in the obvious warning here that this film contains a lot of sexual content, graphic nudity, and gore. It was actually very hard for me to takes stills of the film which didn’t contain at least one nipple. There’s even a scene of vaginal and anal-copulation with a kiwi fruit. The kiwi fruit does not survive I’m afraid. Another tragic victim.

The storytelling techniques are also fascinating, with our heroines often talking directly into the camera, discussing things they are doing, have done, will do, and have had done to them, often whilst speaking in an ecstatic emotional frenzy. Daughter at one point recounts being raped by her father at the age of eleven, her father being for some reason depicted as the Universal monster The Mummy. Daughter’s description of the incident is extremely disturbing, and yet her tone is one of gleeful excitement, the combined effect of which is tremendously jarring. It all provides the impression that the pair are extremely unreliable narrators, and often will in fact switch positions mid-point in conversation, as if out of a desire to make the situation more interesting for each other.

I can also not undersell how beautiful this film is, it may not have the flashiest cinematography, but it is a feast for the eyes, and is absolutely head and shoulders above how a film like this should look in any sane world.

I should probably do a slight aside as to the queer politics. It is a film that is full of ambiguity and unreliable narration, but taken at face value it is about an incestuous same-sex relationship between a trans person and their daughter, and these people are depicted as absolutely horrific and irredeemable on every conceivable level. That said, as a tran, I was too busy enjoying myself to care. I want this pair to invite me into their home and gut me from crotch to sternum, stuff me full of rocks, and ditch me in a river. It’s a small price to pay for the great joy they’ve brought into my life.

6/5

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

What are the other 3? Possession, maybe Alucarda, and ?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

What are the other 3? Possession, maybe Alucarda, and ?

Possession, Amer, and that difficult fourth spot is currently occupied by All That Heaven Allows, which is a Douglas Sirk/Rock Hudson/Jane Wyman melodrama. Horror wise though I think it's a tie between Alucarda and Neon Demon. I definitely have a thing for emotionally disturbed female leads

e: Speaking of which, if anyone has any emotionally disturbed female lead recs, I will love you forever

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 22, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

e: Speaking of which, if anyone has any emotionally disturbed female lead recs, I will love you forever

Not sure if it totally fits the bill, but Starry Eyes just came to mind.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Possession, Amer, and that difficult fourth spot is currently occupied by All That Heaven Allows, which is a Douglas Sirk/Rock Hudson/Jane Wyman melodrama. Horror wise though I think it's a tie between Alucarda and Neon Demon. I definitely have a thing for emotionally disturbed female leads

The Witch who Came from the Sea

I saw this last October and it completely floored me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Not straight horror, but Ingrid Goes West.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Three great recs

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tammy and the Trex

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Vince MechMahon posted:

Not straight horror, but Ingrid Goes West.

Yeah that's a neat little movie. Aubrey Plaza nails it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Yeah I'm still kind of sad it's not the movie the poster sells, but this is a very DDD pick.

edit: Also it's not really addressing the spirit of the request, but I am inserting another plug for Spider Baby because Spider Baby fits the letter of the request and also loving rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

you've seen May i assume

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

this one is also wild

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I forget where it ranks on the scale for Hellraise sequels, but I just finished rewatching Hellraiser V: Inferno; rewatching it because I remember liking it, and I still do. I could imagine it was a script about a noir-kind of detective descending into madness and his own personal hell, with Pinhead just attached when it was picked up for filming. And part of the reason why I like the movie is that this works really well. In contrast to the bombast of Hellraiser 2, Pinhead taking his time to torture some hardass detective with his own private Groundhog Day seems rather quaint, but fitting. It's a side gig. The transition from kinda-thriller to gently caress You, You Are In Hell Now near the end felt too sudden but on the other hand by then it's clear Craig Sheffer was hosed ever since he opened the box.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good fólk horror:

Not sure if it quite fits the mold because it's more of a mystical object than a folk creature, but Sauna is another great one that's pretty underrated. It's extremely good at slowly growing atmospheric dread, and it has gorgeous cinematography. I'd put it in the same category, at least tonally.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

This feels like heresy, but I didn't really like One Cut of the Dead. I went in completely blind, as advised, but the first part is very obviously waiting for a shoe to drop and as a result, I wasn't surprised by the reveal even though I didn't know exactly what it was going to be. Then the middle portion dragged- I couldn't get interested in the characters and kept waiting for something else to happen. The third act is obv the best and pulled me back in- it's clever and fascinating from a filmmaking perspective, and really impressive to see how they did it (so to speak). But as a whole movie, it just didn't land for me- it's never scary enough to be horror, nor funny enough (to me) to be comedy.

I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed if I hadn't been so hyped, but zombies and metacinema are legit two of my absolute favorite genres and I'd been saving this movie for a while. :witch:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

married but discreet posted:

Yeah that's a neat little movie. Aubrey Plaza nails it.

This is true. She was also great in Black Bear which I watched this week

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Thanks for all the recs! :)

Jezebel posted:

This feels like heresy, but I didn't really like One Cut of the Dead. I went in completely blind, as advised, but the first part is very obviously waiting for a shoe to drop and as a result, I wasn't surprised by the reveal even though I didn't know exactly what it was going to be. Then the middle portion dragged- I couldn't get interested in the characters and kept waiting for something else to happen. The third act is obv the best and pulled me back in- it's clever and fascinating from a filmmaking perspective, and really impressive to see how they did it (so to speak). But as a whole movie, it just didn't land for me- it's never scary enough to be horror, nor funny enough (to me) to be comedy.

I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed if I hadn't been so hyped, but zombies and metacinema are legit two of my absolute favorite genres and I'd been saving this movie for a while. :witch:

I think those are all valid criticisms. It's hard to really engage with a film once it's been built up to such a high degree. I'd completely agree that the middle act drags, but it's also where most of the character development is sewn, so it's difficult to imagine the film without it. It's also difficult to manage tonal shifts like that, and perhaps it's a little too abrupt to be satisfying, but I imagine those distinct acts are really the essence of the film and what makes it so unique.

Have you seen Why Don't You Play in Hell? (2013) It's possibly even less of a horror, but it plays with some of the same themes in an interesting and fun way.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 23, 2021

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So I ended up watching The Empty Man over the evening and it turned out to be much better than I was expecting. Everything about its outward appearance makes it look like one of those cheap horror movies that studios burn off in January, but the movie's more ambitious and more composed than that. James Badge Dale anchors the film well as an ex-cop investigating a nihilistic cult, and the film pays due homage to its influences by quoting Kill List and In the Mouth of Madness. The film is a little too unruly for its own good, and it takes a while to see how the more initially anomalous elements fit together, but it's a decent rental.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Marshal Radisic posted:

So I ended up watching The Empty Man over the evening and it turned out to be much better than I was expecting. Everything about its outward appearance makes it look like one of those cheap horror movies that studios burn off in January, but the movie's more ambitious and more composed than that. James Badge Dale anchors the film well as an ex-cop investigating a nihilistic cult, and the film pays due homage to its influences by quoting Kill List and In the Mouth of Madness. The film is a little too unruly for its own good, and it takes a while to see how the more initially anomalous elements fit together, but it's a decent rental.

you had me at kill list

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Anybody get the chance to see psycho goreman yet?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I Saw the Devil is still a good time. Haven’t seen it since it came out. What a strange movie.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Miguel Prado posted:

Anybody get the chance to see psycho goreman yet?

I'm watching it right now and it's good.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

dorium posted:

I Saw the Devil is still a good time. Haven’t seen it since it came out. What a strange movie.

Just saw that the other weekend! Loved it

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Marshal Radisic posted:

Maybe it was a different movie, but I think the trailer for this just made me think of The Bye Bye Man.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

This is true. She was also great in Black Bear which I watched this week
I said this before, but while Black Bear might not strictly be horror, the last shot is chilling. I don't know the last time a movie gave me shivers.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Maybe it was a different movie, but I think the trailer for this just made me think of The Bye Bye Man.

Bye Bye Man always reminds me of The Tall Man with Jessica Biel, which is waaaay better than what would at first sight appear to be a dollar store Slenderman cash-in.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I said this before, but while Black Bear might not strictly be horror, the last shot is chilling. I don't know the last time a movie gave me shivers.

Huh. I saw the movie two weeks ago and enjoyed it but don’t really remember the last shot? I would love to see Aubrey Plaza do more horror though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Have you seen Why Don't You Play in Hell? (2013) It's possibly even less of a horror, but it plays with some of the same themes in an interesting and fun way.

Nope, but I'll toss it up onto my queue! Thanks!