Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Craft Practicality

Show the forum above this one who's more stodgy and serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I quite like diy & hobbies personally but if I were to change it it would be to kraftwerk so we get the occasional confused 80’s synth fans.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think the only people typing DIY&H are people in the mod forum because I've never seen that typed anywhere on SA until this thread just now. What I'm saying is, we should probably not change it.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I think the only people typing DIY&H are people in the mod forum because I've never seen that typed anywhere on SA until this thread just now. What I'm saying is, we should probably not change it.

Same. Never typed it (not even now) and can’t think of when I would.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah I mean I definitely am typing it more than most people.

Really we are trying to tell the rest of the forums that we aren't just old houses and free plumbing advice. We are that, but there's alot more in here too. I recently pointed a goon in a different subforum to our knitting thread and they said 'I would never have thought to look for a knitting thread in DIY' and a lightbulb went off in my brain. I think there's plenty of crafty goons without a good home for their weird hobby and we would like to let them know that this subforum can be their home.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Comedy options:
Houses & Trousers
DIY & Things I Buy
Pastimes & House Crimes

Actual suggestion:
Building Things [things about buildings and things being built]

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
(OId) Farts and Crafts

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Really we are trying to tell the rest of the forums that we aren't just old houses and free plumbing advice. We are that, but there's alot more in here too. I recently pointed a goon in a different subforum to our knitting thread and they said 'I would never have thought to look for a knitting thread in DIY' and a lightbulb went off in my brain. I think there's plenty of crafty goons without a good home for their weird hobby and we would like to let them know that this subforum can be their home.

How about Hobbies and Houses? The houses part is well entrenched, and all of us sickos with horrible hovels already post here, so put hobbies first for awhile to try and build up the part that (could) have greater mass appeal?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elviscat posted:

How about Hobbies and Houses? The houses part is well entrenched, and all of us sickos with horrible hovels already post here, so put hobbies first for awhile to try and build up the part that (could) have greater mass appeal?

Good idea.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:sickos:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RIP Cheap Thrills.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The suggestion for "Hobbies & Houses" is probably a good short one. Comedy option just rename to "Hobbies & DIY".

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crafts & Construction Crap

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Seems like 'Hobbies & Houses' or some variation thereof is a winner, and we'll be sure to abbreviate it as H&H, not HH?

The Locator posted:

Crafts & Construction Crap

Crafts & Construction Crap Posting (CCCP)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Crafts & Construction Crap Posting (CCCP)

Da, ist very good building.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Houses are just a very large craft, just call it Crafts

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Makin’ and doin’ stuff forum

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

and we'll be sure to abbreviate it as H&H, not HH?

:hai:

Killingyouguy! posted:

Houses are just a very large craft, just call it Crafts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSO9OFJNMBA&t=98s

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How about HCH-Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses?

Includes the crafters and keeps anyone from accidentally thinking we're the neo-nazi forum?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sheds, Crafts, Hobbies, And Domiciles

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Break, Fix, Repeat

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
What do you mean by 'fix'? :sweatdrop:

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
Have it change between "DIY & Hobbies" and "Hobbies & DIY" every pageload.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Often times I'm selling an old tool or something I think the diy folks would be interested in, and I'm okay with give-it-away pricing for a member but it doesn't make a lot of sense to post on the SA sale forum.(not practical to ship, etc). Wish we had a sales area here.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The way we made that work ages ago with the women’s fashion mega thread was to post a corresponding women’s clothing sale/swap megathread in SA-Mart that anyone could post in to offer stuff up. Let me ask in the mod forum and I’ll get back to you about what our options are.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

AI and CA have dedicated marketplace threads that seem to work decent, might make sense to model it after those.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

We have a new forum name :grovertoot:

We need a new forum tag in the main forum index. They have to be 15x60px and like 1-2kB? and I am bad at photoshop or whatever-anyone feel like whipping an 'HCH' one up? I'm not sure what the font is on all the rest of them.

I think corgski is working on a swap/sell kind of thread for us.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rest in peace, .

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ColdPie posted:

Rest in peace, .

Pourin out some paint thinner for a real one

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I always hated that icon

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

We have a new forum name :grovertoot:

We need a new forum tag in the main forum index. They have to be 15x60px and like 1-2kB? and I am bad at photoshop or whatever-anyone feel like whipping an 'HCH' one up? I'm not sure what the font is on all the rest of them.

I think corgski is working on a swap/sell kind of thread for us.

HCH with Groverhaus next to it, imo.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

bobua posted:

Often times I'm selling an old tool or something I think the diy folks would be interested in, and I'm okay with give-it-away pricing for a member but it doesn't make a lot of sense to post on the SA sale forum.(not practical to ship, etc). Wish we had a sales area here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3949919

Here's our brand new tool/craft/gear sale thread!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Sheds, Crafts, Hobbies, And Domiciles

I'm being completely :dadjoke: about my joke suggestion here and wanted to make sure the moderation staff saw that I was suggesting this became the SCHAD forum.

:dadjoke:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

angryrobots posted:

I'm being completely :dadjoke: about my joke suggestion here and wanted to make sure the moderation staff saw that I was suggesting this became the SCHAD forum.

:hmmyes:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

:grovertoot:

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Awesome!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

angryrobots posted:

I’d rather we skip the ‘S’ and just be the CHAD forum

the Virgin QCS vs the Chad CHAD

Memory 404
Feb 15, 2020

Witty repertoire not found...
I know crochet has a spot, possibly knitting. I saw someone mention weaving ---

What about lumping some/all as simply "Yarncrafts"?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Memory 404 posted:

I know crochet has a spot, possibly knitting. I saw someone mention weaving ---

What about lumping some/all as simply "Yarncrafts"?

I had suggested that in the knitting or crochet thread recently but the feeling seemed to be that folks liked having separate threads. Feel free to make a weaving thread or w/e if you want though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I had suggested that in the knitting or crochet thread recently but the feeling seemed to be that folks liked having separate threads. Feel free to make a weaving thread or w/e if you want though!

Make a thread called "Loose Threads" for everything yarn-related (I dunno, macrame maybe?) that doesn't already have a megathread.