Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Someone quick, run to Europe and tell all the mass graves they should have shown more virtue and argued harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why are there so many nazis on HN? Capitalism, right?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
HN is going to be populated by the demographics of a fascist base so

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
By that I mean young, white, suburbanites that are anti communist but also not traditionally conservative

At least the non libertarian posters

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

tbf it's true that tolerating fascists did help us land on the moon

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yes

“Tolerating”

Much like stabilizing west Germany

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Why are there so many nazis on HN? Capitalism, right?

no :10bux:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Look von Braun had to be an SS officer otherwise they wouldn’t let him work on the ballistic missiles anymore which he was only doing for the good of humanity

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine being a straight white male brain genius who's working from home making six figgies developing a platform for evil corporations and far right fake news while other people are dying of coronavirus and starving to death and trying to figure out a way to justify that to yourself with a generous application of the just world fallacy and eugenics. Furthermore, imagine that everyone you work with is racist and sexist and encourages you to cultivate a belief in :biotruths:.

Then imagine that you find a perfect site where like minded capitalist apologists and temporarily embarrassed entrepreneurs like you frantically try to justify the corrupt system in the hopes that your internet farts are going to prop it up for long enough for you to make even more obscene amounts of money from investors while the rest of the world burns to ashes from global warming.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 10, 2021

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Imagine being a straight white male brain genius who's working from home making six figgies developing a platform for evil corporations and far right fake news while other people are dying of coronavirus and starving to death and trying to figure out a way to justify that to yourself with a generous application of the just world fallacy and eugenics. Furthermore, imagine that everyone you work with is racist and sexist and encourages you to cultivate a belief in :biotruths:.

Buddy, I don’t have to imagine :smuggo:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

Look von Braun had to be an SS officer otherwise they wouldn’t let him work on the ballistic missiles anymore which he was only doing for the good of humanity

:ironicat:

mystes
May 31, 2006

As an hn poster you are acutely aware that programmers in India earn far below US minimum wage. Since this is clearly good and just, you MUST make american exceptionalism the core of your moral philosophy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

once the rockets are up who cares where they come down? that’s not my department says Wernher von Braun

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mystes posted:

Then imagine that you find a perfect site where like minded capitalist apologists and temporarily embarrassed entrepreneurs like you frantically try to justify the corrupt system in the hopes that your internet farts are going to prop it up for long enough for you to make even more obscene amounts of money from investors while the rest of the world burns to ashes from global warming.

yospos bithc

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

f430 1 hour ago [–]

Look the RCMP isn't going to raid a startup because they find human rights violation going on
Sure we got watchdogs but those are meant for blue collar workers with union.

> However, Canada is also filled with self-righteous descendants (I mean it culturally) of puritans who take it upon themselves to adjudicate others.

I 100% AGREE. When I dated an 18yo everybody flipped and said I was the worst.

> (Quebec excepted. They're cool. Also, not Canada)

I love Montreal man. It is the Thailand of Canada. When I went there I felt free for the first time in my 30+ years in Canada.
Where are you now? I am thinking of moving to Thailand or Japan where people aren't so uppity about dating young women (or men, I respect all orientation)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

dgellow 12 minutes ago [–]

The idea that business isn’t about people communicating is strange

edit: i replied to this with a really basic fact about businesses (i.e. that the only role of a business is to make money) and am already getting downvoted :lomarf:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 17, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
good, because "the only role of a business is to make money" is stupidly reductive

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the business of business is business

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

alexandriao posted:

dgellow 12 minutes ago [–]

The idea that business isn’t about people communicating is strange

edit: i replied to this with a really basic fact about businesses (i.e. that the only role of a business is to make money) and am already getting downvoted :lomarf:

money is a form of communication

thanks SCOTUS

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

f430 1 hour ago [–]

Look the RCMP isn't going to raid a startup because they find human rights violation going on
Sure we got watchdogs but those are meant for blue collar workers with union.

> However, Canada is also filled with self-righteous descendants (I mean it culturally) of puritans who take it upon themselves to adjudicate others.

I 100% AGREE. When I dated an 18yo everybody flipped and said I was the worst.

> (Quebec excepted. They're cool. Also, not Canada)

I love Montreal man. It is the Thailand of Canada. When I went there I felt free for the first time in my 30+ years in Canada.
Where are you now? I am thinking of moving to Thailand or Japan where people aren't so uppity about dating young women (or men, I respect all orientation)

do these guys not realize everyone knows that they're a creepy pedo or do they do this intentionally so they can meet others of their kind?

actually do pedophiles even want to hang out together?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
They need therapy

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Chris Knight posted:

good, because "the only role of a business is to make money" is stupidly reductive

I'm pretty sure a large number (but not all) of people on hacker news forget that everything else is secondary, though, and get so caught up in the "We're building solutions to make the world better!" or "All hail elon musk" that they forget that money is king.

Like there are two wolves, the one sees CEOs as magic saviours and believes in saving the world through a machine built to make as much money as possible as fast as possible, and the other one who is obsessed with obtaining capital

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
A distinction without a difference

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DuckConference posted:

they do so that they can share pictures

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DuckConference posted:

they do when it's at Little St James

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
i'm arguing (stupidly touching the poop) with hn morons that believe there were no white supremacists or nazis at the capitol riots.

this is in regards to the guy with the 6 million wasn't enough shirt:

quote:

It seems unlikely that anyone standing with that guy would have known what his shirt meant or would share that view. It seems far more likely that this guy is a plant, who is there for the specific purpose of generating those news articles about "evil" Trump supporters.

another choice one:

quote:

I am yet to see evidence of Nazis being at the protests - I don't think anybody openly displaying support for Nazi ideals would find wide support in a pro-America crowd.
at least this one got upvoted a bunch:

quote:

It seems to me, from reading this comment, that there are literal "Nazis" on Y Combinator's Hacker News.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol same on Ars, any time the right wing does something bad, it's a false flag led by antifa

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

dash2 27 minutes ago [–]

If you did it as DIY, yes, but not all modern - really, contemporary - art is done by Important People who get magazine interviews. A colleague of mine at a web design shop had done his degree in fine art. He was into minimalism and Arte Povera, and his main work was a large ball of grey paint which he had kept with him for years. He would grind down stuff from his daily life and mix his own paint (which he named after himself) to add to this ball. It just kept growing and growing.... Weird, but fun.

cool story imo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
all art is really just a slowly-growing paint orb pet when you think about it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

honestly thats pretty rad yeah

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

llcoolv 14 minutes ago [–]

I don't really believe that such thing as a shortage exists in a free-market economy. Executives who complain of shortages are just way too rigid with their planning and are not willing to pay the increased price. Exactly this goes for VW.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

no ironicat big enough for a community that slobbers idolizingly over every paul graham "society is a state machine" thunkpiece having a big circle jerk about how adam curtis is a conspiracy theorist who reduces a complex reality down to simple invented narratives

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
while discussing a "is this a picture of a serial killer or a computer programmer" quiz, a commenter wrote "See also: the INTJ death glare" and linked to a tumblr about intjs:

quote:

The Death Glare

For a lot of people, their neutral mood face is a smile, or at the very least, nonthreatening. For a lot of INTJs, it’s the Death Glare (this affectionate name is courtesy of a old INTP friend of mine, who brought mine to my attention many years ago). Instead of exerting the effort to smile or frown, we seem to take the efficient route of doing nothing at all, looking rather unpleasant in the process. The typical INTJ Glare seems to consist of a grim mouth, furrowed brow, and most importantly, a harsh piercing gaze.

But of course there are others who wear a neutral face when they aren’t exceedingly emotional- why is it that the INTJ Death Glare stands out? I believe it may be more noticed because we are already recognized as severe individuals, or perhaps because we aren’t easily cowed into averting our gazes and it makes others uncomfortable. Maybe we wear it while we think, and it gets a lot more use than our smiles or frowns. Maybe all that time spent reading and on the computer is making us go blind, and we squint like we’re angry when we’re focused. In all honesty, I’m not sure.

What I do know is that, despite its unpleasant appearance, the Death Glare means nothing more than we’re not overwhelmed with emotion. We may look angry, but we probably aren’t. Constantly being asked if we’re upset about something is often perplexing, since we may not even realize we are using a Death Glare. Many times, we’re in a quite good mood, it just doesn’t show.

So next time you see somebody you suspect to be an INTJ wearing a distinct Death Glare, keep in mind that they may not be in a foul mood or be an unpleasant person- they might just be lost in thought or absorbed in whatever activity they’re partaking in at the time.

to illustrate this, they posted a picture of the walrus guy from myth busters looking serious under his little beret

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

while discussing a "is this a picture of a serial killer or a computer programmer" quiz, a commenter wrote "See also: the INTJ death glare" and linked to a tumblr about intjs:

to illustrate this, they posted a picture of the walrus guy from myth busters looking serious under his little beret

I loving LOVE SCIENCE

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die

no not like that

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hn: nih-ing rbf

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I did a huuuuge amount of research into mbti stuff a while back and the results i found are basically:

MBTI test is useful, but... we don't know for what. Like you can accurately predict things like hypertension and other kinds of differences like how you approach tasks (planning phase versus doing phase), because it's basically a survey of asking people to self-report those exact things.

Because of this there are definite differences between how J-types and P-types approach tasks and working in their environment, because people tend to know how they act, and they put down those differences... on the test. There are some larger statistical studies that manage to correlate ailments like heart conditions, anxiety, hypertension to the types. So it can be useful for predicting those.

The only thing is, the study sizes are too small to draw any conclusions from. We're talking N=23 or less. The MBTI has been correlated with The Big Five, though, which is used in actual science to predict things (I've heard word of it being useful in Neuroscience, for example).

All the MBTI *theory* however is just mostly made up. Anything that hasn't been confirmed in experimental testing is basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Everyone and their mother has a pet theory about how things work, and they all conflict.

So in summary: MBTI - kinda useful, needs all the bullshit-baggage removed and needs larger test sizes before it could be actually useful in any capacity. Probably not worth spending any amount of time on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm TMJ, op

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stop causing me pain!!!!!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, i mean it’s pretty intuitively obvious that people’s personalities are similar or different in various ways, and those traits drive a lot of things about them, and if you ask people to self-assess in as non-leading a way as possible then they’ll probably be mostly honest despite undoubtedly the occasional aspirational answer. so it’s not surprising to me that it’s a useful tool despite being grossly flawed especially theoretically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all personality tools agree extraversion/introversion exist. thats it for the commonalities