Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Wow, you did a really good job. welcome to solderhead gang
Thanks! I botched a few joints a bit early on and had to redo them, and partially melted the plastic on one of those white capacitors cos I wasn't looking where the upper bit of the iron was resting when I was doing a really awkward spot, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Once you go DIY route its soooo much cheaper, and there's some way more wacky stuff out there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
welcome to soldering gang. Now get ready for the fun of trying to buy parts online!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

Thanks! I botched a few joints a bit early on and had to redo them, and partially melted the plastic on one of those white capacitors cos I wasn't looking where the upper bit of the iron was resting when I was doing a really awkward spot, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Once you go DIY route its soooo much cheaper, and there's some way more wacky stuff out there too.

ok i'll put $10 down to see a soldering comp between you and the other brush of the pos.. sagebrush

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
it begins. next stepis modifying your toaster oven to add insulation, heat probes, a third element and a touchscreen controlled microprocessor so you can use the power of surface tension to flow those tiny little surface mount components all at once

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im going to sell my bass station 2

its a shame, it's a fuckin great analog monosynth. got huge sounds out of it, and its got loads of potential, seeing what aphex twin man has done with it

BUT.. monosynths. by themselves lol

it was cool when I used ableton to drive it. shame I could never really work out how to get ableton to record every single midi signal on every channel etc so it could replace exactly what I played and twisted and turned

and, I love my creative pursuits

synth, guitar, 3d, photography

BUT I have to accept that musically I am quite average. my friends always overtook me guitar wise. they had a natural talent I couldnt match.

and for me music is fun to pump out a few powerchords or whatever, but ultiamtely, I am so oooo poo poo and there is so much amazing talent out there, I just disappoint myself a lot.

so im keeping my axe coz thats my true musical love

and keep pumping out 3d stuff because while I am also poo poo at that, I am futher up the ladder as far as making poo poo others don't, relative to how I was doing musically

PLUS I could do with the money

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

its good to know when to move on

I say it doesn't matter if other people are better than you or whatever, and if you could remove those somewhat intrusive sounding thoughts and comparisons from your practice, the important question would be - are you having fun and do you feel satisfied?

whenever I compare myself to others, it usually turns out not to be a booster and I've found it to be harmful to personal progress and focus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda have fun, but I'd need to spend a lot of time practicing to get better to play more stuff I really enjoyed playing, but unfortunately life is short and I can't do everything I want, and it's just down the list.

plus music is something that really really benefits from another person. like if I had a friend who wanted to make a dad metal band, yeah that'd be wicked as hell. but that scenario isnt on my doorstep at the moment.

but making sick renders is

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I try to only compare myself to others to get ideas (re: music). I am positively proud of myself if I can get in an hour of guitar practice or two of synth jamming a week. if I can do both I consider myself to basically be apollo

I have completed one song, have about a dozen incomplete, and have bought Ableton studio, a new guitar, an audio interface, and serum this year. it's ok to be bad, even if you never get good.

I like your music posts echi! keep at it! unless it's not fun of course - gently caress doing hobby stuff out of obligation!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've almost certainly spent more on computer music stuff this past year than the decade before (partially cos I want everything legit, partially cos there's been some crazy sales but still, I reckon its nosing towards 1000 when I factor in new midi controllers and the annual Cubase upgrade).

Spending out big on this stuff is fairly new for me even though I've been doing computery music for a loooong time now.
I've found if I paid for everything I use it and learn to use it.

The other day, In an attempt to build my confidence a bit I shared a video of me playing guitar along to a full cover/interpretation (a more guitar centred version of KI Theory's cover of Enjoy The Silence) I did which was well received by people on Facebook. Not brave enough for youtube yet. HTFU, I know. I had a channel for a bit but at the time I was over sensitive and annoyed that the only comments were people missing the point. IE 'techno track track made in 30 mins using only 3 instances of retrologue' got poo poo like 'u need to work on your sounds--get omnisphere!'

Sharing that song/vid was huge for me cos a) I dont think much of my singing voice, super nasal and needs a ton of eq and b) video actually had my face in it instead of just being my guitar in frame. Many of my friends are far more "successful" in my eyes than I am, being in multiple bands, having toured, bunch of releases, t shirts/merch (although I do a lot of their design work) but even though I'm doing something different to them they were really supportive. They're convinced I'm better than them in the same way I feel they are better than me.

Do what feels right for you Echi, as said, most important thing is to enjoy yourself and get something out of it. Comparison to others is OK to a point but you aren't others, you're you. (and you've always been really helpful when I dip into the blender thread)

E/N over, here's to a better 2021

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I want a Roland SoundCanvas

Will I actually use it? who knows

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbeSAWdwrMU&t=131s
getting started figuring out how to program/customize this in fl studio for a thing coming thursday. they support the mk2 but they dobt have built in for mk3 yet so looks like i need to put in a little effort.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is the mk3 new?

I considered that over anything else when I was considering a keyboard to let me use vsts to make music. now that the basstation is on its way i suppose the idea is back in my head.

I do love keybaords and synths

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

crossposting this ableton live thing i built

put it on a track, hook the midi up to some instrument and play your favorite chord

here's what i did with a couple of sounds, and some drums

https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/mondo-generative-jam-demo/s-HHsz7l1TrKQ

edit: it's all built in live midi effects so no max 4 live and all you folks who grabbed that free live lite deal can do it too

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 7, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

do you have a preset or rack or w/e we can download to try out?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

I guess I can make an adg file but it’s really all in that screenshot. should take like 5 mins to replicate this in live

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

crossposting this ableton live thing i built

put it on a track, hook the midi up to some instrument and play your favorite chord

here's what i did with a couple of sounds, and some drums

https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/mondo-generative-jam-demo/s-HHsz7l1TrKQ

edit: it's all built in live midi effects so no max 4 live and all you folks who grabbed that free live lite deal can do it too

came out quite good

I did something not dissimilar, it's all generative. it ends up with this chord progression vibe that quickly makes you realise its not going anywhere or resolving, even though each individual chord change fits

https://soundcloud.com/echinopsis/slorn

yours is much more listenable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbeSAWdwrMU&t=131s
getting started figuring out how to program/customize this in fl studio for a thing coming thursday. they support the mk2 but they dobt have built in for mk3 yet so looks like i need to put in a little effort.

dude I just watched some of that stream, some good fuckin sounds you got there

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got a mandolin

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7329u4qhugs7et/Mondo%20Generator.adg?dl=0

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

I got a mandolin

oh i bet there is lots of fun to be had with one of these things once you get it nicely tuned and set up (which may be a huge headache since it is not so common as guitars)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got an Ibanez and it's a very good instrument for the price! Sound is lovely and it's easy to tune. Only problem with a mandolin is the strings bite into your fingers really aggressively

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

it will take a little bit of time but your fingers will build up calluses so after some weeks it becomes easier to play

the trick is just not to practice until you bleed - more like 15-30 minutes per day in the beginning just some finger exercises

I’m not a guitar person but I have tried to play on occasion and it’s really important to warm up and just learn to handle the strings before trying to play something “real” because it’s just day and night- it’s much easier to play warmed up and as a consequence it is more rewarding and feels good too :)

goonspeed!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
even just chromatic warmups are great.

go
1 2 3 4 on the low E
4 3 2 1 on A
1 2 3 4 on D
4 3 2 1 on G
1 2 3 4 on B
4 3 2 1 on high E

then 2 3 4 5 on high E
5 4 3 2 on B
2 3 4 5 on G

and so on. work your way up the neck. by the time you're doing 14 15 16 17th fret, you're limber and you've reminded your hands what the neck feels like.

You don't have to go fast, and it doesn't sound like any real music. that's fine.

this was one of dimebag's warmup exercises that i still use to this day

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i wish i could have convinced my past band mates to always start rehearsals with some 10 minute warmup.

just pluck the strings and get your fingers up to speed and so much frustration just goes away from when you are actually playing and jamming along - you can play what you want so much more easily.

i swear that we would have been in a different and much better place with so many projects if we did this, instead of cracking open a beer and loving up our tracks at exactly the same points every time

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

echinopsis posted:

dude I just watched some of that stream, some good fuckin sounds you got there

glad you caught it! thanks!!

theyre all free vsts i got after i watched a vid about the jupiter 8 and wnated to see if i could get a software emulated one. im thinking about starting the stream up again and loving around, going through the vsts and their presets and seeing if anything comes out creatively

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

this was one of dimebag's warmup exercises that i still use to this day

there’s some video of him teaching some warmups at a guitar show or something and it’s badass

poo poo pantera has some sick riffs

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

that reminds me of this book that has great exercises. start it as a novice, whatever
https://www.amazon.com/Shred-Not-Dead-Concepts-Techniques/dp/0739003224
'shred is not dead' get the dvd edition

in fact, i ripped the dvd cuz i lost the disc and then found it again. here, just give this a view, download it while you can. browse through it. the book is good but the vid has a lot to offer in and of itself

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14no7AmUEQVAq2nJPXFfJhXb0VHBoL9s6/view?usp=sharing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kq0yCTpNE

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

when there was bars with internet connected jukeboxes i got all country banned from multiple locations by playing wheeler walker jr's "eatin' pussy/kickin' rear end" song

never before have I seen a dive bar go from singing with the chorus to booing so fast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

you should see how the remix “Eatin rear end/kickin pussy” plays

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KoRMaK posted:

theres some sort of renicasnnce going on and i cant wait to get back into sweaty clubs to feel the vibe

the first club season after covid is going to be buck wild. people are going to get pregnant on the dance floor

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
made a chilled out track while eating pizza
I played the chords but the other notes are ~*algorithmic*~

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i played some music today. it was fun

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
short ambient track
I think I'm able to come up with decent tunes, I've not really mastered the art of stretching them into whole tracks yet, though :(

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i feel that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ill post a ambient

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/ee-1?in=jonny290/sets/untitled-ep

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
anti ambient https://soundcloud.com/djfireextinguisher/leghrsu

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Yay, the Metasynth guy has finally gotten over his tantrum about Apple dropping Carbon like 9 years ago and re-written it as a proper modern application, it even runs on M1 processors. Looking forward to hearing what images of dickbutt sound like.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in the past couple of days, somebody posted a youtube channel that did "how to sound like" videos. for the one i watched, I can't remember who the artist was, but the gist of it was "add a saw wave." does that ring a bell for anyone? i want to subscribe to the channel but can't find it.

i dont remember if the post was in yospos or musicians lounge, but either way i can't find it so i am asking for help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol posting made me find it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqJFKawBjdw