Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I know this probably sounds callous, but it's kind of something you're forced to get used to with pocket pets. outside of like, chinchillas, which live for an absurdly long time for a rodent, most don't live more than two years. It's why I want to have rats, but I can't, because they develop actual for real personalities and I don't know if I could handle losing them in that short timeframe. but I try to make those two years wonderful for them.

coco was a real one, though. it super sucks to lose her. she had some health issues a few months back that the vet said couldn't be dealt with due to her age, so I'm glad I got this extra time with her.

I had a rat when I was ~13. It really surprised me when he only lasted 2 years.

On the other hand I had a very very angry lovebird that killed the other lovebird I had. She way outlived the typical lifespan of a lovebird. Earlier in this hellyear I saw her jumping around in the cage normally at 2 AM. The next morning she was... not jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How kind of your bird encourage the other bird friend to take up a quieter hobby like building model ships! (sorry for your loss that's terrible)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thanks to a gift from my dad, I'll not only be able to make rent this month, the months I'm already behind on due to losing my job a couple months ago.

The website I pay my rent on, when I try paying, says that the payment doesn't work.

I'm now on hold with my bank to explain why it's not loving working.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I failed to keep my info updated on a rarely-used bank account, and now, when I need to access it, it's asking me for card details. The card which has now expired, the new one of which will have been sent to an old address. Just spent half an hour on hold with the call centre to update things and got absolutely no response.

It's minor and my own fault, but it's annoying.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I went to throw something out, only to find that the front door to my place (which I've submitted multiple maintenance reports over for various things) won't even open from the inside, now.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I keep getting a big painful zit right at the hairline on the back of my neck in exactly the same place every time.

I have no idea what to do about it and my insurance requires a referral from my gp to cover a dermatologist. That means I have to clear time for two doctor visits and pay for both of them to maybe get a solution so it seems like I should just wait this situation out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my heart was acting up last night, I have to go have a plethora of tests and such done to make sure nothing's hosed with it, and the poo poo going on right this second in the capitol sure as poo poo ain't helping things on top of all that

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't have a project manager at work or even really a direct supervisor.

So I'm constantly guessing at what I'm supposed to be doing. Most days I think I could do absolutely nothing and nobody would notice.

That might be ideal for some but I love working and getting stuff done... but I can't do that without guidance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Woke up to a mess alert on my phone and now I’m nearly stress puking.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Woke up to a mess alert on my phone and now I’m nearly stress puking.

What's a mess alert?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pastry of the Year posted:

What's a mess alert?

alerting them to the mess they were about to make, duh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
News alert, sorry, my phone loves to autocorrect poo poo constantly. It needs to make a noise or something when it does that since I never notice.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

News alert, sorry, my phone loves to autocorrect poo poo constantly. It needs to make a noise or something when it does that since I never notice.

I wasn't being a poo poo; I know you work some rough jobs and didn't know if I'd missed some context.

Yeah, we're probably all in for some weird mornings soon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

I wasn't being a poo poo; I know you work some rough jobs and didn't know if I'd missed some context.

Yeah, we're probably all in for some weird mornings soon.

Oh, I know, I was just all :doh:

It would have been one thing if the rest of today didn’t suck and I actually slept like I wanted to, but the stupid extended stay I’m in for work decided that when I said “I don’t need the extra month I signed up for, I’ll check out on the 8th” they heard “I’m checking out right the gently caress now” so when I got back from work my room had been cleaned out and I had to spend a bunch of today chasing down my stuff after they checked me into another room. If it wasn’t for finding my stuff and that they were doing the rest of the stay for free, I would have just said gently caress it and checked into my new hotel early. This goddamn day sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my mom's former best friend was one of the terrorists in DC yesterday. I spent part of the day trying to break down to mom why she needs to loving :sever: from this psychopath asap. and apparently her kids have been brain poisoned by her as well and are ALSO nuts. man, this sucks.

I also now have a heart monitor plastered to my chest for a few weeks and have to carry around a second phone that is a monitor for the thing, so that's annoying.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Invictus posted:

my mom's former best friend was one of the terrorists in DC yesterday. I spent part of the day trying to break down to mom why she needs to loving :sever: from this psychopath asap. and apparently her kids have been brain poisoned by her as well and are ALSO nuts. man, this sucks.

I also now have a heart monitor plastered to my chest for a few weeks and have to carry around a second phone that is a monitor for the thing, so that's annoying.

That sucks. Deprogramming is really hard. My mom was heading towards the CHUD route but wised up soon after Trump was elected. Thankfully she didn't vote for him but it was touch-and-go for a while.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mom still thinks in the back of her mind she can save her, it's why she still talks to her occasionally. she's a sweetheart but she is way too optimistic.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Captain Invictus posted:

mom still thinks in the back of her mind she can save her, it's why she still talks to her occasionally. she's a sweetheart but she is way too optimistic.

My wife's brother has gone from being the never had a job in his life, but still OK "farmer", to being an OAN watching racist over the past 5 years. And I have a proud boy brother who lives in Israel.

I stopped talking to him 6 months ago, and she did the same this Christmas. I may be cold, but don't really care. I have other brothers and I have maybe interacted with him for a dozen hours over the last two decades. But her brother is her only sibling, and she keeps trying to make herself fell bad about not liking him.

I have no illusions about either of them coming back to reality. They can both get hosed. I am not in a forgiving mood.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My slipped disk may have resulted in nerve damage (??) and it may require surgery (????)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It was Monday, so in addition to being Monday, my car failed it's yearly inspection (big ole hidden rust hole), I got one month to fix it and come back and show the repair. Then later that night my snow blower broke. It's snowing a lot here now. Last night I managed to fix the snow blower at least, not fun working outside in the wind and -10C weather, hate that can't feel your fingers situation when yoi need to work on stuff and just loose all dexterity.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I hate IT. I'm starting to loving loathe it, primarily because of stupid people who refuse to read emails. We had a massive change from using the default iOS apps for mail/calendars/etc. to using Office, sent out multiple emails over the course of 2 weeks & pushed it out to everyone today.

Now we've missed 30+ calls because retards can't bother to read email, look at any service bulletins on our company website, or pull their heads from their asses in general. On top of that we run into this same situation every 2 months during password updates because people blatantly ignore the deadlines, then have the gall to get pissed at us when they can't do their jobs. I should've listened to my dad when he told me not to get into IT, the ratio of money to life-shortening-stress-that-will-kill-me-by-50 just isn't loving worth it. Just goes to prove that stubborn assholes who refuse to learn or change will always make lives more difficult.

Sometimes I wonder how humanity survived this long without causing our own loving extinction already.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Biplane posted:

My slipped disk may have resulted in nerve damage (??) and it may require surgery (????)

Dang that sucks. Sorry friend

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My good girl, rosie, is reaching the end of her days. She's had some sort of inflammation in her eye socket for weeks now and we only were just able to finally get a vet appointment, and they suspect cancer but said it may be an infection and so started a round of antibiotics.

They said that this is it. If the antibiotics do nothing, then we should euthanize her because she is in so much pain from the cancer. They don't know it's definitively cancer, but it's clearly some sort of mass if it's not simply inflammation from an infection, and she's at least 18 if not 19, so surgery isn't an option and is prohibitively expensive even if it were.

She has had a good run. It sucks that every other part of her body is functioning in mostly top shape still but some aberrant cells might just be the end of her.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My apartment building's owners sent an email to us residents, telling us not to tamper with the entrance doors, or use things to brace them open.

Number of times I've submitted maintenance requests to my apartment building's owners saying (as politely as I could) "Hey the front door to our building won't open because the lock is hosed up, please fix it"? Literally half a dozen.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rainbow Knight posted:

Dang that sucks. Sorry friend

Thank you

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Slipped and fell on my rear end while out to pay my rent because no one in this loving city shovels their drat snow or salts their drat sidewalk so it's a constant icy loving mess.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Detheros posted:

Slipped and fell on my rear end while out to pay my rent because no one in this loving city shovels their drat snow or salts their drat sidewalk so it's a constant icy loving mess.

Despite living in a city with heavy rain, we never get snow and I hate it. It's January and it's loving 50F out all the time. poo poo sucks!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Something was rolled over by a car on the freeway and flung into my car

not happy.

edit: im feeling better knowing that it won't be an expensive fix but God drat it. Like, i can't stop thinking "if only i left work like 5 seconds later/earlier"

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Jan 26, 2021

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
My cat died today. He just... died.

He was perfectly happy and healthy, playing around in some boxes, had what looked like some sort of seizure, and died. My partner and I didn’t know what was going on and after he collapsed we rushed him over to the vet down the block, but he was dead by the time we got there.

The vet suspects that it was some sort of blood clot in his brain or a (otherwise asymptomatic) brain tumor. Apparently this can just happen?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Farten Barfen posted:

My cat died today. He just... died.

He was perfectly happy and healthy, playing around in some boxes, had what looked like some sort of seizure, and died. My partner and I didn’t know what was going on and after he collapsed we rushed him over to the vet down the block, but he was dead by the time we got there.

The vet suspects that it was some sort of blood clot in his brain or a (otherwise asymptomatic) brain tumor. Apparently this can just happen?

That

Is awful

gently caress :(

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Just found out a cat at my mother's place (that I lived with for 10 years) had his 2nd stroke today.

He seemed fine after a while on his first but I don't think he's gonna make it through this one, he's at least 15 years old but could be upwards of 20 (he was a stray) so I was still expecting to lose him this year but still...

gently caress. :(

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

Just found out a cat at my mother's place (that I lived with for 10 years) had his 2nd stroke today.

He seemed fine after a while on his first but I don't think he's gonna make it through this one, he's at least 15 years old but could be upwards of 20 (he was a stray) so I was still expecting to lose him this year but still...

gently caress. :(

Just got a call from my mom and he's passed on.

Rest in peace, Casper, I'll miss you so much but it sounds like you went fast so I can take solace in that.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Well after a cancer scare last year my dog just got diagnosed with lymphoma and has at best a couple months to live. He’s 15 and had a good life, but it really sucks to watch him slowly die. At some point we’ll probably have to decide to put him down when this poo poo escalates and his condition gets worse. He doesn’t seem to be in pain right now at least and is getting pet a lot.

I also have to do some lovely homework for my lovely certification class, love to make a PowerPoint while crying.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Yeah, one of our cat passed away overnight on a Sunday while at the vet and because of Covid we couldn't visit him while he was in there. I wish we had let him pass in our home, instead of just being miserable and scared at the vet. My wife still brings up how much she misses him. It guilts her so much. The vet asked if we wanted to come down and see him, we both went off on him.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I have a friend who is in deep depression and is talking about how he wishes he had a gun because killing yourself that way has a low failure rate. I’m terrified I’m going to get a call one of these days that he’s done it. I’ve been pleading with him to call the hotline and talk to people who know how to deal with it. gently caress.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

My results for my testicular cancer are a bit muddled. I should have gotten a plan for further treatment but my blood test results don't correspond with expected results after the removel of my cancerous testicle. So 4 more weeks until another blood test. Either the blood test shows a better result or they have to check for more cancer, check my liver, maybe chemo or something else. I'm just so frustrated and angry right now. I thought I could at least be sure about the further cancer treatment but hey, no luck on that front. Just more waiting and hoping that everything is alright. And still no one to comfort me. I just feel so empty.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Selecta84 posted:

My results for my testicular cancer are a bit muddled. I should have gotten a plan for further treatment but my blood test results don't correspond with expected results after the removel of my cancerous testicle. So 4 more weeks until another blood test. Either the blood test shows a better result or they have to check for more cancer, check my liver, maybe chemo or something else. I'm just so frustrated and angry right now. I thought I could at least be sure about the further cancer treatment but hey, no luck on that front. Just more waiting and hoping that everything is alright. And still no one to comfort me. I just feel so empty.

i am seriously praying for you bro

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Selecta84 posted:

Hang in there brother, I'm rooting for you

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Rainbow Knight posted:

i am seriously praying for you bro

Biplane posted:

Hang in there brother, I'm rooting for you

Thanks guys. The uncertainty is killing me right now. My AFP marker is still higher then it should be. Could be anything but I just hope that it takes its sweet time to get back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus posted:

My good girl, rosie, is reaching the end of her days. She's had some sort of inflammation in her eye socket for weeks now and we only were just able to finally get a vet appointment, and they suspect cancer but said it may be an infection and so started a round of antibiotics.

They said that this is it. If the antibiotics do nothing, then we should euthanize her because she is in so much pain from the cancer. They don't know it's definitively cancer, but it's clearly some sort of mass if it's not simply inflammation from an infection, and she's at least 18 if not 19, so surgery isn't an option and is prohibitively expensive even if it were.

She has had a good run. It sucks that every other part of her body is functioning in mostly top shape still but some aberrant cells might just be the end of her.
I had to have rosie put down this morning. I feel so empty inside. I know she was in pain, but actually making the decision is crippling for me. She is the first dog we've had to put down that was still fully cognizant up until the day she died, which makes it so, so, so much more painful. With past dogs, they had developed some sort of neurological issue like dementia, so it was an easier decision. in this case, she was still mentally there but her body was failing her.

Coming home to an empty house was so painful. I've been sighing so much today. I'm clearly hungry by the sounds of my stomach but I don't want to eat anything.

I don't really like how clinical the vet was about euthanasia. I don't need a step by step breakdown of the mechanics of the process of how my dog is going to die. I know you inject them and they go to sleep and never wake up, that's enough, just say that. I don't need to know that you're inserting the catheter into her leg, and that she will stop breathing about 30 seconds after the injection. Just keep that to yourself. I was too much of a mess to mention that at the time, but wish I had.