Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

yeah, i mean it’s pretty intuitively obvious that people’s personalities are similar or different in various ways, and those traits drive a lot of things about them, and if you ask people to self-assess in as non-leading a way as possible then they’ll probably be mostly honest despite undoubtedly the occasional aspirational answer. so it’s not surprising to me that it’s a useful tool despite being grossly flawed especially theoretically

people routinely get very different results on these tests when taken on different days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
except for extraversion/introversion!

only you cant sell a test for 60 bux if its just that one so you gotta pull poo poo out of your rear end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All these dumb personality tests get introversion/extroversion wrong though because, like basically every other psychological phenomenon, it's a continuum with a bell curve distribution. Almost no one is a pure introvert or pure extrovert. 2/3 of the population is somewhere in the middle and likes being alone sometimes and social at other times.

The MBTI also suggests that some attitudes are exclusive of another when they clearly aren't. Why are thinking and feeling supposedly two ends of a spectrum? Can you not think about things logically and also feel emotions?

It's purely management zodiac designed for HR people to slot employees into different boxes. This guy is a Cold Emotionless Robot but he's good at Brainy Logic whereas this woman is a Ditzy Airhead but she's Good With People. This will be the dissertation topic of my PhD in human resources

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 23, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ima tell you about the independence and identicality of psychological variables: none of them are independent and none of them are identical. binet iq is distributed lognormally empirically forex. its my fav explanation for the forer effect, "ur distributional ansatz is wrong and you should feel bad"

those tails are fat. both left and right tail

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ima tell you about the independence and identicality of psychological variables: none of them are independent and none of them are identical. binet iq is distributed lognormally empirically forex. its my fav explanation for the forer effect, "ur distributional ansatz is wrong and you should feel bad"

those tails are fat. both left and right tail

I understand this post but I loving hate the way you wrote it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yah ive been trying to type and post worse lately

its been goin well

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think the thing about these traits being continuums and interrelated (and dependent on how you’re overall feeling, and subject to legit change over time) is exactly why people get different results all the time. that’s a big part of what i mean by the theory being nonsense, and if you read meyers and briggs about it, it’s clear that they buy into the worst conceptions of it

the management theory part is interesting. on the one hand it’a a huge grift like all management theory and the idea of putting people in a box based on their personality testing is terrible bullshit. on the other hand if it gets a manager thinking about how to deal with their reports as individuals with differences instead of demanding that they conform to a single idealized stereotype then it’s actually good despite all that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

if it gets a manager thinking about how to deal with their reports as individuals with differences instead of demanding that they conform to a single idealized stereotype then it’s actually good despite all that

(narrator voice)

this did not happen

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i just took the big 5 test and it just shows me a bunch of bars. wtf. where is my horoscope

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
if you can't list 5 celebrities with the same whorls and voids in their brains as mine, how am i supposed to draw anything actionable from this online quiz

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

myers-briggs may well be lovely science but it's an excellent replacement for horoscopes and blood types and dnd alignments

people really like putting each other into fictional categories, for whatever reason. and if they get attached to sorta questionable science, that's a massive upgrade over getting attached to superstition in terms of general cultural level

kind of like how the neil tyson-retweeting IFLS kids are cringey but still way, way healthier than if they had been parroting some ignorant actor or singer's platitudes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

myers-briggs may well be lovely science but it's an excellent replacement for horoscopes and blood types and dnd alignments

people really like putting each other into fictional categories, for whatever reason. and if they get attached to sorta questionable science, that's a massive upgrade over getting attached to superstition in terms of general cultural level

kind of like how the neil tyson-retweeting IFLS kids are cringey but still way, way healthier than if they had been parroting some ignorant actor or singer's platitudes

use 5-factor ocean instead if you want something that replicates deec for psychology

or just use the e part cuz thats the part we're sure actually exists lol

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

i'd rather my bosses be into horoscopes and blood types than the mbti, it'd be more interesting and without the veneer of respectability granted by it's sciency-ness

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oneiros posted:

i'd rather my bosses be into horoscopes and blood types than the mbti, it'd be more interesting and without the veneer of respectability granted by it's sciency-ness

thats nice but then they go and ask for a blood sacrifice to make sales go up

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MrGilbert 72 days ago | parent [–] | on: RIP Google Music

I get the feeling that age discrimination is the new "black & white". "Oh, you are born in this decade, so you must be doing X". Yeah, whatever. I'm doing X because I like to do it. I'm an "ageing millenial" per GPs definition (so with mid-30 I'm old?), yet I'm well aware of TikTok and such.

I'm so sick of it.

-

MrGilbert 72 days ago [–]

> Comparing age with racial discrimination can only be done from privilege.

What leads you to this conclusion?

---

hacker news in a nutshell

can't wait to see the age-ghettos and the transit systems literally being built specifically to exclude old people /s

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

people routinely get very different results on these tests when taken on different days

Sorry for the triple-post, but can you link me to the source for that? The only meta-study I can find at a cursory glance (I don't have all the materials I gathered back then, tbh) is from 2017 where they state:

1. There hasn't been a systematic meta-study performed previously that meets the Cochrane Collaboration's guidelines (Although I guess it's just Cochrane these days? that's still really weird to me).

2. Of the 221 studies they found meeting their criteria, three were of that exact metric -- test-retest reliability, and the results came out slightly below the general standard for acceptable reliability for T/F (.612), but just above the standard for for the other scales (I/E was .764, J/P was .775, N/S was .753). The standard that they reference is at .70 or greater, so it only just passes the bar mind you

They do mention however that the samples were all white, cishet, middle-class college students, and recommend that if more tests are done they're not from a heterogenous population -- but most psychology studies suffer from that (I've forgotten the actual acronym that they use? but they include "living in a democracy" in it which, l o l).

https://www.jstor.org/stable/26554264

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

alexandriao posted:

thats nice but then they go and ask for a blood sacrifice to make sales go up

ima note that the peeps who made the blood sacrifices in mesoamerica were mainly the emperors, the mass sacrifice was kinda a sideshow

and it had to be blood from their dick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I took a test and it said I was a loser and I don't know how anyone could deny thats scientifically accurate

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i took one of those dumb personality tests because the boss's wife demanded every employee do it (i had been working there for seven years at this point) and she reportedly got mad and was close to demanding that i re-take it "seriously this time" because clearly i had lied the first time

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 24, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

I took a test and it said I was a loser and I don't know how anyone could deny thats scientifically accurate

:same:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

alexandriao posted:

MrGilbert 72 days ago | parent [–] | on: RIP Google Music

I get the feeling that age discrimination is the new "black & white". "Oh, you are born in this decade, so you must be doing X". Yeah, whatever. I'm doing X because I like to do it. I'm an "ageing millenial" per GPs definition (so with mid-30 I'm old?), yet I'm well aware of TikTok and such.

I'm so sick of it.

-

MrGilbert 72 days ago [–]

> Comparing age with racial discrimination can only be done from privilege.

What leads you to this conclusion?

---

hacker news in a nutshell

can't wait to see the age-ghettos and the transit systems literally being built specifically to exclude old people /s

The only type of discrimination that exists is when it's done to a white tech bros in his 30s.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zamujasa posted:

i took one of those dumb personality tests because the boss's wife demanded every employee do it (i had been working there for seven years at this point) and she reportedly got mad and was close to demanding that i re-take it "seriously this time" because clearly i had lied the first time

one of my co-levels at a different job took a hr personality test that said they were a “Type A boss” type and so had our entire business group take the test so their employees could identify their own type and read how that type can accommodate their “type a boss” personality

i took it and got the “awesome coworker who makes everything better” type and got accused of cheating

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

echinopsis posted:

that was a mirror

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sorry boss, I don't like it either, but the tests don't lie. I'm an entj with mercury rising too, and this office ain't big enough for the both of us

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

alexandriao posted:

Sorry for the triple-post, but can you link me to the source for that? The only meta-study I can find at a cursory glance (I don't have all the materials I gathered back then, tbh) is from 2017 where they state:

1. There hasn't been a systematic meta-study performed previously that meets the Cochrane Collaboration's guidelines (Although I guess it's just Cochrane these days? that's still really weird to me).

2. Of the 221 studies they found meeting their criteria, three were of that exact metric -- test-retest reliability, and the results came out slightly below the general standard for acceptable reliability for T/F (.612), but just above the standard for for the other scales (I/E was .764, J/P was .775, N/S was .753). The standard that they reference is at .70 or greater, so it only just passes the bar mind you

They do mention however that the samples were all white, cishet, middle-class college students, and recommend that if more tests are done they're not from a heterogenous population -- but most psychology studies suffer from that (I've forgotten the actual acronym that they use? but they include "living in a democracy" in it which, l o l).

https://www.jstor.org/stable/26554264

idk I just read this https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Oneiros posted:

I got you covered. I wrote a script that scrapes a newspaper’s horoscope and replaces astrological terms with tech ones with regexes and it works fine:

https://ferd.ca/horoscope.html

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

it's just corporate phrenology

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Never mind not opening this can of worms

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MononcQc posted:

I got you covered. I wrote a script that scrapes a newspaper’s horoscope and replaces astrological terms with tech ones with regexes and it works fine:

holy poo poo this is hilarious. bookmarked

I mean a fair number of those points are orthogonal to how it *could* be used, and excluding the one or two valid arguments there, the rest either do not have the data to back them up (newer studies conflict with their findings, etc.) or can be used against the psychometric tests that they recommend at the end.

At the same time, it's very likely too heavily embedded in management culture to feasibly recover, so I'm glad on some level that people are ditching it. It's just not accurate at all to say that it's "equivalent to horoscopes", because it is on a number of levels, within some margins, "accurate" -- whereas horoscopes have *no* basis.

Probably the last I'll say though for fear of gumming up the thread. Sorry folks :ohdear:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

the 'myers' of 'myers-briggs' wrote a couple of detective novels back in the day, the second one was about a rich family whose members kept killing themselves and the big reveal as to why was that they had a black ancestor whose blood was in their veins

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

the 'myers' of 'myers-briggs' wrote a couple of detective novels back in the day, the second one was about a rich family whose members kept killing themselves and the big reveal as to why was that they had a black ancestor whose blood was in their veins

Chris Knight posted:

it's just corporate phrenology

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
management theory is just astrology for dudes who wear patagonia vests

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

fritz posted:

mama mia

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fritz posted:

the 'myers' of 'myers-briggs' wrote a couple of detective novels back in the day, the second one was about a rich family whose members kept killing themselves

nice! :capitalism: :ussr:

fritz posted:

and the big reveal as to why was that they had a black ancestor whose blood was in their veins

loving yikes! :yikes:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

MononcQc posted:

this is wonderful, thank you for sharing

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

quote:

>This pardon is strongly supported by James Ramsey, Peter Thiel, Miles Ehrlich, Amy Craig, Michael Ovitz, Palmer Luckey, Ryan Petersen, Ken Goldberg, Mike Jensen, Nate Schimmel, Trae Stephens, Blake Masters, and James Proud, among others.
I guess it pays to have rich friends.

quote:

... or maybe they are competent and knows how to advance the public good.

quote:

ah yes, so much public good comes from rich people being allowed to commit crime.

quote:

mm sure do you think the USA would have beat the Soviets to the moon had it not been for this guy: Wernher von Braun?

(about the guy who decided google was too darn ethical so he nabbed a bunch of lidar schematics and left for uber...)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

not_a_moth 43 minutes ago [–]

Being watched and served recommendations is not the revolutionary paradigm for computers imo.

Forge36 19 minutes ago [–]

Why not?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

suffix posted:

(about the guy who decided google was too darn ethical so he nabbed a bunch of lidar schematics and left for uber...)

you so rarely see a reverse Godwin’s law invocation any more

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

Launch HN: Aviron (YC W21) – High-Intensity Peloton for Rowing
12 points by FullNameAndy 7 minutes ago | flag | hide | 3 comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)