Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Remember: you can never infer anything about someone that they haven't explicitly stated, and almost every driver definitely voted for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

My sources say the death penalty, for improper use of the word "architect", being considered for @marshallpruett. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1351626218349580289

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

shut the gently caress up about everything else simona is back

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

yeah that's pretty cool too

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Penske-backed ride? Simona gonna win the 500. :getin:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

gently caress marco loving andretti, the only thing i hope he wins at indy is a trip to the infield care center

This can be taken as wishing injury on him.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

kidcoelacanth posted:

shut the gently caress up about everything else simona is back

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
:swoon:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Synthetic Hermit posted:

This can be taken as wishing injury on him.

thanks for the input, noted and unashamed fan of literal nazi youtubers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

imagine trying to be the morality police after you post a bunch of videos from actual nazis and when called on it, defend yourself with 'but the videos are too good not to share!'

lmfao

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

New team with Simona in collaboration with Penske.

Simona still a factory Porsche driver. Rumors of this IndyCar ride going full-time in 2022.

Penske rumored to partner with Porsche for LMDh.

Is this too :tinfoil: or no?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone seen Teo Fabi recently?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

New team with Simona in collaboration with Penske.

Simona still a factory Porsche driver. Rumors of this IndyCar ride going full-time in 2022.

Penske rumored to partner with Porsche for LMDh.

Is this too :tinfoil: or no?

Probably a big reach but I'm here for it

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The mild hybrid thing was definitely a decision meant to get Porsche into the series so I guess we will see if it pans out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Probably a big reach but I'm here for it

the Penske rumor for IMSA has been around forever, and I can see Simona being a support/third driver for enduros while also getting an IndyCar ride -- which itself is the equivalent of what Meyer Shank has been doing but connected loosely to Penske, that can't be a bad thing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
RIP nbcsn.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/media/nbc-sports-network-shut-down/index.html

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

seems bad

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

They're just consolidating networks because there (very unsurprisingly) isn't enough content to justify all these channels anymore. NBCSN makes sense to get rid of since being a sports network makes it single purpose. Most poo poo will just move to USA, which has basically nothing anyway.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I think NBC is pulling a 4D Chess move here. Everyone insists that cable, broadcast TV is still viable against streaming services because of live sports. Well, what if you get rights to all of the live sports, and make it so they are on your broadcast networks and streaming platform exclusively with some other cable channels thrown in there for contractual obligations? Are you telling me you wouldn't pay $5 a month/$10 for ad-free Peacock Premium to get full coverage of all the practice/qualifying sessions and races for Indycar, half the NASCAR season, Track Pass, IMSA (hopefully), Supercross, The Office, etc, all in one go? That's bad?!?

I know this sucks because we have to pay for another drat streaming service, but the writing is on the wall on where this is all going. Disney already has ESPN+, and is advertising the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle front and center on the Disney+ website to everyone wanting to sign up. NBC didn't want to keep paying for F1 rights because they weren't allowed to show the live races on what would become Peacock. Cordcutting ESPN+ subscribers can't either, so they have to double-dip with F1TV, or cut out ESPN+ anyway.

You want that OTT Indycar streaming service? Why would you need it when Peacock would (potentially) give you that anyway? All the practices live, qualifying live, Month of May live, races live (presumably). Plus you get all that other racing poo poo on top of it for the same price. If this is what NBC was ultimately targeting, and they are able to deliver it (obviously needing Penske and Indycar to agree with this strategy) then it may be enough for me to cut the cord on YouTube TV—now $65 a month, and climbing!—somewhere I went to cut the cord in the first place. Math would check out: I get exactly all the things I want for far cheaper than I was paying before.

I am very clearly optimistic about this! But it makes sense in my head. People bitching about losing out on growing audiences by putting things behind a paywall are failing to understand that 1) the races on cable are already behind a paywall (your cable bill) 2) some of the biggest TV shows in pop culture have been as well (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.) and they don't have a problem growing their audiences, 3) your existing fans will still find you, and 4) we are probably reaching a point where new, younger fans won't find you unless you're prominent on an existing streaming platform. (This is why the NFL is streaming on Amazon and not even close to needing their own OTT service in the U.S.)

tl;dr - this could really benefit us old racing farts and put Indycar ahead of the streaming curve but that's just my opinion!!!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think this a bad thing either but for different reasons. Even on USA they'd have greater reach than NBCSN.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Something about watching races on USA feels so ‘90s, akin to watching NASCAR on TNN or some other basic cable network back then.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Space Racist posted:

Something about watching races on USA feels so ‘90s, akin to watching NASCAR on TNN or some other basic cable network back then.

American Sports Cavalcade was a huge part of my childhood.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I've been using streaming services for years, it's definitely the way to go. I have YouTubeTV for now, but as soon as there's a cheaper way to get the half dozen series I follow onto a screen, I'm out. I don't even watch anything but racing on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hunnert car pileup posted:

UP NEXT: SWAMP BUGGIES

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

hunnert car pileup posted:

DIAMOND P SPORTS PRESENTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioQuM2TQbV0

THE AMERICAN

SPORTS

CAVALCADE

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

DIAMOND P SPORTS PRESENTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioQuM2TQbV0

THE AMERICAN

SPORTS

CAVALCADE

My earliest memory of watching racing was this event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXq61ZtvZk8

god I miss Steve Evans

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Earliest specific race I could say I remember watching on TV was the '92 500, though I have vivid memories as far back as watching Bobby Rahal in the Kraco car in '89.

Count me in as gladly paying more for Peacock to watch Indycar if it has live races.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would 100% pay 30 bucks a month for the channel that has the pacers but I can’t do that I have to pay 90 bucks a month to get it with 20 bucks going to channels I get for free ota

Anything that destroys cable is good even if I have to subscribe to 40 streaming services

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
NBC Gold Indycar stuff is now on Peacock

quote:

ACCOUNT NOTICE
We want you to hear it from us first – the INDYCAR Pass content moves to Peacock Premium this season! Catch practices & qualifying – LIVE. You can also stream hundreds of movies and thousands of episodes all in one subscription.

Due to this platform change, we will not auto-renew your NBC Sports Gold subscription. You will continue to have access to INDYCAR replays on NBC Sports Gold through January 31, 2021.

HAVE XFINITY?
You already got Peacock Premium. Start watching today at no additional cost.

For all Xfinity Flex and Xfinity X1 customers who have a subscription to Xfinity Internet or Digital Starter TV, or equivalent, or above. Peacock Premium has a $4.99/month value.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Not gonna lie that seems like a relatively good deal vs NBC Gold?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Basticle posted:

Not gonna lie that seems like a relatively good deal vs NBC Gold?

Especially with this late breaking news:

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1353726585577173001

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Coyne is running Ed Jones in the 18. :geno:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’m cool with it, he deserves another shot. Woulda gone Askew personally but I imagine money is in play.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sebring testing results today:

Pato O’Ward, No. 5 AMSP Chevy (51.79s)
Alexander Rossi, No. 27 Andretti Honda (51.93s)
Josef Newgarden, No. 2 Penske Chevy (52.06s)
Colton Herta, No. 26 Andretti Honda (52.06s)
Oliver Askew, No. 29 Andretti Honda (52.24s)
Felix Rosenqvist, No. 7 AMSP Chevy (52.26s)
Takuma Sato, No. 30 RLL Honda (52.30s)
Conor Daly, No. 20 ECR Chevy (52.31s)
Graham Rahal, No. 15 RLL Honda (52.36s)
Rinus VeeKay, No. 21 ECR Chevy (52.36s)
Will Power, No. 12 Penske Chevy (52.36s)
Simon Pagenaud, No. 22 Penske Chevy (52.38s)
Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 28 Honda (52.46s)
Scott McLaughlin, No. 3 Penske Chevy (52.47s)

Askew was filling in for Hinch for some reason?

https://racer.com/2021/02/01/oward-quickest-in-monday-sebring-test/

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The only non-sponsor related thing I can think of is cross border travel is extremely restricted here (I'm in Toronto) right now. Is Hinch Stateside?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

The only non-sponsor related thing I can think of is cross border travel is extremely restricted here (I'm in Toronto) right now. Is Hinch Stateside?

Pretty sure he lives full time in Indy, as most of the guys do.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Grosjean is in the Coyne car for the road and street circuits.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jenna Fryer said Grosjean was considering running Gateway but hadn’t decided yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jenna Fryer said Grosjean was considering running Gateway but hadn’t decided yet

listen if the man likes Pappy’s BBQ and a good brewery crawl I cannot fault him