Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

I wouldn’t say that when there are only 7 million people in the US that have HBO Max, it’s been an utter failure.

They need to just give me the Sopranos TV for $.99 a month, I'll never cancel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shrapnig posted:

I wouldn’t say that when there are only 7 million people in the US that have HBO Max, it’s been an utter failure.

It was nearly 13 million in early december. It's climbing.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
The only person in the documentary I see in a truly negative light is Earl, really. Tiger was taught (beyond golf itself) to suppress his personality at a very young age - it was only a matter of time before he would lash out for any escape whatsoever from the robotic life he was living.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I want the worlds easiest most forgiving clubs to hit. Don’t care at all about looks. Looking at some HB Launchers. Any reason not to get graphite shafts? I’m not old but my swing speed isn’t high because my technique sucks so I try not to swing out of my shoes in an effort to maintain consistency.

I just want to have more fun on the course.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly, switching to one length clubs has improved my consistency dramatically. Prior to one length at the start of last year I was shooting over 100 nearly every time. As of now, the last three times I went out I shot 87, 93 and 90 (the 93 was from a 7100 yard course).

I'd say give it a honest shot - it's helped me tremendously. I've actually gained swing speed while using them because I'm gaining more and more confidence in my swing, allowing me to go faster and faster. I've gone from regular flex at the beginning of last year, to stiff and finally currently using x-stiff shafts.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the input. Hybrids vs one lengths are my current decision for what will make the game easier.

Almost pulled the trigger on a used set of F8s last night.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My hybrid is also one length - 3H, 19 degree. That thing does 200-210 carry straight every time. It's actually my favorite club in the bag. Looks like a little kids club, but tremendously useful!

I think you have relatively slow speed because you have zero confidence in your swing. You and I a year ago were in a similar skill level if I recall, and I remember feeling exactly as you do. I'd say give it a shot and get a cheap set for ~200 bucks (Used F8 is a great idea).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Winter golf: Straight, level par 4: 5i, slightly thin hit, 285 yards.
297 yard par 4, uphill, 5w to the green (3 putt par). The 5w looked like it hit the cart path 6 or 7 times (there was no cart path).

Also winter golf: 125 yard par 3, 110 to the front of the green, 110 club bounces thru green, off out of bounds fence, into bunker.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

The only person in the documentary I see in a truly negative light is Earl, really. Tiger was taught (beyond golf itself) to suppress his personality at a very young age - it was only a matter of time before he would lash out for any escape whatsoever from the robotic life he was living.

I haven't followed golf since I read tiger wood's how to play golf book and joined the golf team for a couple years in high school, was it already known that he hosed his body up doing navy seals pretend stuff?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

I haven't followed golf since I read tiger wood's how to play golf book and joined the golf team for a couple years in high school, was it already known that he hosed his body up doing navy seals pretend stuff?

The swing he had for his 'stinger' drive seemed to be what really did him in. I don't doubt the training leading up to it was a factor in a lot of things, but Tiger seemed to be the first (or one of the first) PGA Pros that really showed you could be a golfer while also having full athleticism.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

To be fair, the stinger is extremely dope

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AndrewP posted:

To be fair, the stinger is extremely dope

Oh it was rad as poo poo, i'm not gonna try to pretend otherwise

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
First, this video is fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDrIsiqZaA

Second, I'm just going to leave these two images here with no further commentary other than to say that these are the last two rounds of golf I played.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BCRock posted:

First, this video is fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDrIsiqZaA

Second, I'm just going to leave these two images here with no further commentary other than to say that these are the last two rounds of golf I played.

Why we hate golf and why we can't quit golf.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
My golf has been miserable lately. I’ve gone from threatening to break 90 every round to barely squeezing out a sub 100.

I hope this is winter golf, but I bet Texas winter golf is just regular golf for everyone else.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

ElGroucho posted:

My golf has been miserable lately. I’ve gone from threatening to break 90 every round to barely squeezing out a sub 100.

I hope this is winter golf, but I bet Texas winter golf is just regular golf for everyone else.

It ain't too bad. It's 75 degrees for the foreseeable future here in Houston.

I'm really liking the Sub 70 hybrid I got. I had an old Adams hybrid that wasn't adjustable and had the wrong shaft for me. This new one I'm hitting much better. I do need to start practicing quite a bit more though because I have a tournament at Pine Dunes in June and one of the No Laying Up guys is playing on my team. Can't embarrass myself.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Daric posted:

This new one I'm hitting much better. I do need to start practicing quite a bit more though because I have a tournament at Pine Dunes in June and one of the No Laying Up guys is playing on my team. Can't embarrass myself.

Which one?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

AndrewP posted:

Which one?

Tron. I mentioned this before but their message board is where I spend most of my online time and all of the Texas members decided to have a tournament against each other. It's Houston vs Austin/San Antonio vs Dallas. Whichever teams wins gets automatic admission into the No Laying Up invitational tournament in the fall. Tron's wanted to play Pine Dunes for a while so he'll be flying in and hanging out with us for a couple of days. Since the Houston team had the least members he jumped in with us.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Daric posted:

It ain't too bad. It's 75 degrees for the foreseeable future here in Houston.

I'm really liking the Sub 70 hybrid I got. I had an old Adams hybrid that wasn't adjustable and had the wrong shaft for me. This new one I'm hitting much better. I do need to start practicing quite a bit more though because I have a tournament at Pine Dunes in June and one of the No Laying Up guys is playing on my team. Can't embarrass myself.

75 degrees is definitely not winter golf you bastards. Now excuse me while I go jump my car while it’s snowing and 15 degrees out...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

75 degrees is definitely not winter golf you bastards. Now excuse me while I go jump my car while it’s snowing and 15 degrees out...

No poo poo haha. If you’re not fully warm for a full day after playing you aren’t playing winter golf.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
75 degrees? Are the fairways and greens frozen solid, but the temp is 75? Ok, winter golf. If you can hit normal approaches, the putting speed doesn't change radically over the course of the round and distances off the tee can be calculated with some certainty, it ain't winter golf.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Y’all gatekeeping seasons now? It’s winter and I’m playing golf. That’s winter golf.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I tried a Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo with a graphite shaft and it had me tempted to walk out with it. I grabbed another normal cavity back just to compare and there really was a difference accuracy and height. This was based on 10 minutes in a Golf Galaxy bay so small sample size applies.

They're old man clubs and IDGAF, they felt great.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

DoctaFun posted:

It's not the temperature, it's the fog and rain and wind. This is bullshit, come back Mr. Sun

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

Y’all gatekeeping seasons now? It’s winter and I’m playing golf. That’s winter golf.

Yes. No it isn’t.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
“Winter golf” as a term loses all meaning if room temperature qualifies.

Summit fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 27, 2021

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just give us this one you southerners, if we can’t at least shake our fists at you guys who get to golf all year, what’s going to get us through THE P P P P POLAR VORTEXXXX.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Yes. No it isn’t.

Aye. So say we all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crossposting because jesus fuckin' christ

Not that it's a shock, but NBC devoted far too much time to a bunch of no-name celebrities compared to the 25 best womens golfers out there, and a good chunk of the coverage of the ladies was of them standing around waiting for the guys to miss their bogey putts.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DJExile posted:

Crossposting because jesus fuckin' christ

Not that it's a shock, but NBC devoted far too much time to a bunch of no-name celebrities compared to the 25 best womens golfers out there, and a good chunk of the coverage of the ladies was of them standing around waiting for the guys to miss their bogey putts.

Randy from No Laying Up and Jerry Foltz got into it a bit on twitter so Jerry is now going to be on their podcast this week to discuss it. I'm curious to see what he has to say but I'm betting it'll be along the same lines as when they had Nantz on there and he dropped "Do you even know what a hard camera is?" like that excuses their poor coverage.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Kirios posted:

Honestly, switching to one length clubs has improved my consistency dramatically...

Seconding this. Ditched my JPX 900-HMs in favor of the new Cobra 1-lengths and I won’t go back. I’ve also been hitting the 7i-length driving iron, and it’s almost completely replaced my driver. Granted, driver was by far my worst club, but 200 yards in the fairway is a vast improvement.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Here is a video of my golf league partner's swing. He's pretty bad. Took this while using his GC Quad in his garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMTipk7c4jc

He's a senior citizen, and you can see he's totally collapsing his arms. probably because he lacks flexibility. Anyone got any drills for this?

daslog fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 26, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Dammit, Patrick Reed cannot let the cheating poo poo just die, can he?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
The problem isn't that he "cheated", it's that the way the rule is set up he didn't cheat.

If I was him and I knew my reputation, knew cameras were all over me, and knew that this was a tricky situation, I wouldn't have touched that ball until a rules official got there. But according to the rules, he was allowed to mark it, pick it up to see if it was embedded, and call a rules official over to confirm. The minute the rules official said "yeah, it looks like it was embedded" there was nothing anyone else can do. Even though we can see that it bounced on the replay camera and thus could not have been embedded, the rules official said it was. What's he supposed to do at that point, especially when he didn't see it land?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Also Justine blowing her burner cover is loving hilarious

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

The problem isn't that he "cheated", it's that the way the rule is set up he didn't cheat.

If I was him and I knew my reputation, knew cameras were all over me, and knew that this was a tricky situation, I wouldn't have touched that ball until a rules official got there. But according to the rules, he was allowed to mark it, pick it up to see if it was embedded, and call a rules official over to confirm. The minute the rules official said "yeah, it looks like it was embedded" there was nothing anyone else can do. Even though we can see that it bounced on the replay camera and thus could not have been embedded, the rules official said it was. What's he supposed to do at that point, especially when he didn't see it land?

Yeah, my point isn't that he cheated, but that he keeps the cheating theme alive because he's a dumbass.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Daric posted:

If I was him and I knew my reputation, knew cameras were all over me, and knew that this was a tricky situation, I wouldn't have touched that ball until a rules official got there

This is because you care about your self-image and are not a sociopath. You are not Reed.

Like, I can understand that he couldn't see the ball bounce, and maybe even spectators in the area weren't looking in the exact spot where the ball hit.

However, if he didn't break the letter of the law (because players can declare taking relief from embedded balls without consulting a rules official or other players), he for sure violated the intent.

As soon as he touched his ball, he would have known instantly that the ball was not embedded, so he wouldn't be entitled to relief. And it clearly wasn't, as the video showed that the ball bounced. So he's saying that we should believe him because nobody SAW the ball bounce, which I think is different than onlookers saying, "We all saw it come down, and we did not see it rebound off the ground and hit a 2nd time." The former doesn't mean the ball plugged.

And again, he would know in his heart if his ball were plugged. Dude's a scumbag. I hope the course eats him alive today.

Edit: And this, coming from a Sergio fan.

Daric posted:

Also Justine blowing her burner cover is loving hilarious

On this, we agree.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Oh poo poo!!!! They just showed the video of Rory on 18 yesterday and his bounced too. This is going to be good.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It's...it's getting worse lol

https://twitter.com/dylan_dethier/status/1355730750293696512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is deliciously petty and stupid and I kind of love it lmao