Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

Looking to get back into this, and I'm pretty dang lost. Primarily a really casual solo player, I like shotguns and fire a bunch, zero desire to deal with DZ antics.

What should I look into doing for a build nowadays?
Scorpio and Eclipse might be your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shumagorath posted:

unless you have the very last perk for faster chopper times

they removed this perk in a rebalance at some point in the past, truly salting the wound. right now tier 10 DZ is 25% faster revive of other SHD agents or 20% more XP for survving a manhunt.

I'd say overall the DZ balance is slightly tilted towards rogues in a way which I wish they'd revisit, but they likely won't. Removing that timer was actually part of it; I want rogue death/respawn timers to carry more weight, not 'the guy respawns at the checkpoint 5 feet from me and can immediately reflag as soon as they're out of range of the turrets' -- more broadly, if I'm defending an extraction and I kill a rogue they should never get a second chance at the same rope, but right now they absolutely can. And if I'm a rogue then I should face risks for my rewards, which they don't either.

also extremely broadly the chances of getting a named drop from the DZ are awful and the chances of getting a good one are even lower. I've specifically DZ farmed the Gift (took forever) and Orbit (took forever) and while I got lucky with my second Orbit of the night (guess where the first went) I also got one that I made perfect with a 0.1% optimization out of a cache.

so.

Shumagorath posted:

Scorpio and Eclipse might be your thing.

eclipse is a little dicey solo, but scorpio and hunter's fury is not. You do lose out on burning the world, alas. 4pc HF, Scorpio, probably Memento since solo 100% of the kills will generate tokens, then an Intimidate chest from Ceska or Grupo Sombra for that last little bit of oomph. 870 instead of Scorpio also fine, anything you want in the second slot.

what i mean by dicey is if you get pressed up close with eclipse you're kinda squishy and kinda stuck but if you get pressed up close with HF they're just coming into your preferred range :getin:

e: well actually HF combos with Firewall really well so I guess you'd still have fire available if you need it

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 23, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every other day I run whatever has backpack hoping for Memento and I’ve yet to get the drat thing :negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If you're in that place and want to run HF, I'd suggest you use something with adrenaline rush until you get it; both combo off Intimidate very well (arguably adrenaline rush combos better) but yeah sometimes the exotic you want just refuses to be the exotic you get.

just run 4 characters to level 40 and do 4x summit, 4x project, 4x legendary weeklies, that's not unreasonable at all :v:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

they removed this perk in a rebalance at some point in the past, truly salting the wound. right now tier 10 DZ is 25% faster revive of other SHD agents or 20% more XP for survving a manhunt.

It was removed with the major DZ rework that came at the same time as WONY. You know, the one where they pivoted the DZ hard to PVP only to walk that back a month later because they said it became too PVP focused.

Also I'm going to second ignoring the DZ for farming purposes and just going hard on Global Events whenever they come up. I spent like a month farming the DZ early on in WONY's release to get a Gift backpack. Not even a good one, just any one. I ended up just keeping one of the lovely ones that Hammerstein kept pulling. With the GE revamp that lets you outright buy named caches, I've gotten two nearly godrolled Gifts, as well as an assortment of other DZ only items. Sure, you might get a bunch of LZ stuff too but levelling up 8 times to buy a cache is a hell of a lot easier than dealing with turd trifecta of awful DZ drop rates, awful DZ stat rolls and PVP gankers.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Psion posted:

:eng99:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

With the GE revamp that lets you outright buy named caches, I've gotten two nearly godrolled Gifts, as well as an assortment of other DZ only items. Sure, you might get a bunch of LZ stuff too but levelling up 8 times to buy a cache is a hell of a lot easier than dealing with turd trifecta of awful DZ drop rates, awful DZ stat rolls and PVP gankers.

as soon as the optimize cost reduction comes in (if it comes in, lol) I am maxing the poo poo out of my gift, and I fully expect to get a max roll out of a named cache five minutes later

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shumagorath posted:

Above all else disable proximity voice chat because that (maybe not anymore?) hands out your IP and I have literally had losing rogues rent out DDoS botnet time when they couldn't beat our squad. It's a shame, since I've had idiot rogues give themselves away multiple times in D1.

Lol pretty funny that they got so owned they had to go out of game to have a chance.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Psion posted:

If you're in that place and want to run HF, I'd suggest you use something with adrenaline rush until you get it; both combo off Intimidate very well (arguably adrenaline rush combos better) but yeah sometimes the exotic you want just refuses to be the exotic you get.

just run 4 characters to level 40 and do 4x summit, 4x project, 4x legendary weeklies, that's not unreasonable at all :v:

wait what? You can share items between characters?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

It was removed with the major DZ rework that came at the same time as WONY. You know, the one where they pivoted the DZ hard to PVP only to walk that back a month later because they said it became too PVP focused.

Also I'm going to second ignoring the DZ for farming purposes and just going hard on Global Events whenever they come up. I spent like a month farming the DZ early on in WONY's release to get a Gift backpack. Not even a good one, just any one. I ended up just keeping one of the lovely ones that Hammerstein kept pulling. With the GE revamp that lets you outright buy named caches, I've gotten two nearly godrolled Gifts, as well as an assortment of other DZ only items. Sure, you might get a bunch of LZ stuff too but levelling up 8 times to buy a cache is a hell of a lot easier than dealing with turd trifecta of awful DZ drop rates, awful DZ stat rolls and PVP gankers.

This sounds like sage advice. I've been spending my event points on exotics for the last few, but I'm getting to the point that besides a better momento or scorpio all my other exotics that I use are close enough to perfect that I can always either live with them or optomize them when the costs come down. I really fined named items in general to be more useful anyways. I live and die by my mop, savage wolverine, and bakers dozen.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yeah, your stash is shared inventory space. Just stash it and log out, then log in with the other character and pick it up. Don't even have to quit the game.

I don't do this anymore but when I had a main and second character for raiding, I completed a few easy weeklies twice a week that way.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 24, 2021

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Psion posted:

eclipse is a little dicey solo, but scorpio and hunter's fury is not. You do lose out on burning the world, alas. 4pc HF, Scorpio, probably Memento since solo 100% of the kills will generate tokens, then an Intimidate chest from Ceska or Grupo Sombra for that last little bit of oomph. 870 instead of Scorpio also fine, anything you want in the second slot.

what i mean by dicey is if you get pressed up close with eclipse you're kinda squishy and kinda stuck but if you get pressed up close with HF they're just coming into your preferred range :getin:

e: well actually HF combos with Firewall really well so I guess you'd still have fire available if you need it

Is HF stuff in the loot pool or do I need to buy the season pass? I don't see it on the world map with targeted loot turned on.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yes. The only time you are walled off from sharing stuff between characters is if one of those characters is hardcore mode.

Capn Beeb posted:

Is HF stuff in the loot pool or do I need to buy the season pass? I don't see it on the world map with targeted loot turned on.

HF is in the general pool. Usually there are repeats so you might not see something you want. Today HF is Pathway Park. I would suggest waiting for it to be an open world zone.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

What's targeted loot for Pathway Park for you right now? I see HF.

e: you can also select your target loot at any time in Summit but uh, that's less than ideal because Summit is less than ideal

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 24, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Well, I guess it's OK. (From a Field Sobriety cache.)

Wonder what I should throw on for BarbieMOD...

Yeah, 36% CHC on the gun alone should be good. Speaking of Hunter's Laptop gear... :getin:

Now to recal a good talent.

Edit: Killer could be fun, but If Vile Fury's debuffs count as status effect, Vindictive would be the way to go.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 24, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Ygolonac posted:

Edit: Killer could be fun, but If Vile Fury's debuffs count as status effect, Vindictive would be the way to go.

Killer is best for Vector. +40% crit damage beats out Vindictive's bonuses, especially since HF's confuse doesn't last long enough to get a kill for the tougher enemies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Well, I guess it's OK. (From a Field Sobriety cache.)

Wonder what I should throw on for BarbieMOD...

Yeah, 36% CHC on the gun alone should be good. Speaking of Hunter's Laptop gear... :getin:

Now to recal a good talent.

Vile’s effect does not count as a status. Vindictive isn’t the worst choice for Hunters regardless because when combined with a high natural CHC and a fully leveled SHD watch CHC you have max chance without any additional rolls or mods. That said both it and Killer share the same weakness - they great when you’re tearing through red and the occasional purple enemies but when tanks or other high HP enemies show up your bonus can vanish when you need them the most, I don’t believe either talent refreshes with additional kills. Strained can be the best choice even with the Vector firing as fast as it does because that talent is just always active.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 24, 2021

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Leon Kennedy's outfit has been the most exciting thing to happen since WoNY's release, so hyped.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

Strained can be the best choice even with the Vector firing as fast as it does because that talent is just always active.

I think it is, but with the Vector I would also consider fast hands. Guillermus got me to try it and I liked it. Considering Vectors fire so fast I'm not sure they can make it to a full five strained stacks you lose a lot less crit damage than you would with any other gun and that rate of fire means you reload a lot so you gain quite a bit. RIP your ammo reserves, though.

I haven't done the math to figure out where it lands on a paper dps chart, but subjectively I had a lot of fun with both strained and fast hands vectors so they're certainly within the same general level of effectiveness.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 24, 2021

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

+1 for Fast Hands Vector. It effectively erases the downside from the smaller mag so you have maximum BRRT uptime.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So I finally decided to try conflict since im a bit bored on grinding control points.

Lol am I out of practice in competition fps. I think I have an idea what gear to work to, but skills seem like a black box. Can anyone explain what the decoy does in pvp?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So I finally decided to try conflict since im a bit bored on grinding control points.

Lol am I out of practice in competition fps. I think I have an idea what gear to work to, but skills seem like a black box. Can anyone explain what the decoy does in pvp?

You hope the other player thinks it's you and shoots it? Basically nothing

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

MunchE posted:

You hope the other player thinks it's you and shoots it? Basically nothing

Pretty much this. In the heat of the moment it will fool someone. Skills can also target it. I'm not sure if it pulses another player shooting it like it does NPC's.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
From what I understand it pulses players who shoot it, and it removes your name plate making you harder to find at range.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

DrBox posted:

From what I understand it pulses players who shoot it, and it removes your name plate making you harder to find at range.

Wait does this work with the Technician laser and Spotter? I may have to try arrange my DPS build.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

DrBox posted:

I'm still getting use to playing pvp, but am I wrong in stating that nameplates and armor only show up once you've shot them? I feel like I cant see loving anything in this mode, but maybe my old eyes just aren't what they were back in my college counterstrike days.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Scooped up a four piece Hunter set last night and a weekly crate gave me a The Mop shotgun

Holy poo poo I'm not optimized at all and already this feels incredible :stare:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Scooped up a four piece Hunter set last night and a weekly crate gave me a The Mop shotgun

Holy poo poo I'm not optimized at all and already this feels incredible :stare:

The Mop totally turned my gameplay around. before that I felt like I had to be glued to cover even on just hard difficulty, and couldn't run time'd league missions at all. Once I got my mop it was night and day and suddenly I could bum-rush even challenging things in no time flat.

And now with Scorpio I feel even more broken. Which on that topic, is scorpio in the general loot pool yet, or does that not happen till after the season ends? If I can get a second I'll happily drop my 11 exotic components on it to try and get a god roll one.

I got lucky this weekend and was able to reroll my Momento to being within 1 optimization cycle for both offense and defensive cores in just 4 attempts.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hunters Fury is so good with the mop. I recommend throwing preservation on the mop if you don't need to reroll damage, you'll basically heal half your armor every kill. Toss in adrenaline rush/intimidate or a memento and you're basically a tank build with good damage.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm still getting use to playing pvp, but am I wrong in stating that nameplates and armor only show up once you've shot them? I feel like I cant see loving anything in this mode, but maybe my old eyes just aren't what they were back in my college counterstrike days.

You can see nameplates and armor before you shoot someone. Not sure if it only pops up when you ADS on only once they get within a certain distance. To the other guy who asked, yes decoy works with spotter.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

tweet my meat posted:

Hunters Fury is so good with the mop. I recommend throwing preservation on the mop if you don't need to reroll damage, you'll basically heal half your armor every kill. Toss in adrenaline rush/intimidate or a memento and you're basically a tank build with good damage.

I had preservation in my library oh boy here I go :toot:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Which on that topic, is scorpio in the general loot pool yet, or does that not happen till after the season ends? If I can get a second I'll happily drop my 11 exotic components on it to try and get a god roll one.

You have to reach level 55 on the current free season track to get a complimentary Scorpio. After that it goes into the general drop pool.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I tried the Preservation Mop when it first released and I feel it loses too much damage for tough targets on Heroic to be a primary weapon, especially when combined with it being a shotgun. You’re already giving up Out of Cover Damage to get the AoK. It’ll slap anything on Challenging of course.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Shotguns still have really high base damage and with hunters fury and a good damage buff on your chest/backpack slot you do plenty for heroic, though a good smg is a nice companion weapon to have for pure damage.

My setup is 4 piece hf, intimidate and adrenaline rush, and the firewall striker shield with 4 armor rolls on my gear. The damage is there if you build right and the tankiness is only really outshined by a full bulwark tank build.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

I tried the Preservation Mop when it first released and I feel it loses too much damage for tough targets on Heroic to be a primary weapon, especially when combined with it being a shotgun. You’re already giving up Out of Cover Damage to get the AoK. It’ll slap anything on Challenging of course.

I agree but it's a valuable starter piece, especially for people not used to HF Lifestyle. Once someone gets used to how to use the shield and shotgun they can move on from the Mop/Preservation to a damage-talent six12, Scorpio, or 870, which will let them more than hold their own in heroic, especially with group scaling.

and yes it will absolutely clown on every league challenge there ever was or will be, valuable in its own right

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
As someone who plays almost exclusively NegDad aside from the occasional Eclipse for league, Hunter's Fury is a great set and quickly improved my record against Summit rogues. Actual hunters are a different story - that's still M1A corner cheese all day long.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Speaking of hunters, I tried a Ridgeway's Pride + protection from elites build today against em. A plain old Ridgeway's Pride + Scorpio lets me stunlock and facetank almost any non-robotic enemy on solo Heroic but hunters are just another level.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
This has been said before, but an all red HF shotgun set is the fastest way to clear content. You can do CP4s in 2 minutes start to finish if you stand directly in front of spawn closets and just pump lead into anything that appears.
Timed missions become a joke. However you can get downed quickly if you get surrounded, which happens more easily than with other builds because you have to be so close. Chasing down the last enemy for 200m is also a hassle.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Speaking of hunters, I tried a Ridgeway's Pride + protection from elites build today against em. A plain old Ridgeway's Pride + Scorpio lets me stunlock and facetank almost any non-robotic enemy on solo Heroic but hunters are just another level.

Are hunters affected by global difficulty? I should probably start going after them at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Screama posted:

This has been said before, but an all red HF shotgun set is the fastest way to clear content. You can do CP4s in 2 minutes start to finish if you stand directly in front of spawn closets and just pump lead into anything that appears.
Timed missions become a joke. However you can get downed quickly if you get surrounded, which happens more easily than with other builds because you have to be so close. Chasing down the last enemy for 200m is also a hassle.

Yeah, the straggler is already becoming a problem for me. Kinda wondering if you could make a survivor spec work for a shotgunner, so you could just beat the runaway with the crossbow.

I mean poo poo, the hunter's backpack has a quiver on it :haw: