Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I didn't know there was a Bob's Burgers movie coming...or rather there was.

Disney just infinitely delayed it from the original April 9, 2021 date.

:( I really want the Bob's Burgers movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It was originally scheduled for last summer but absolutely nothing about it ever came out (no clips, no images, no synopsis, not even a teaser poster), I suspect they’ve been working on it for a while but the combination of Fox being bought out, Loren Bouchard doing others things (like that Apple TV+ series) and now the coronavirus have just kept pushing it further and further back.

Which is a shame, because I like Bob’s Burgers a lot and a full theatrical musical would be fun.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Is Bouchard also involved in that Alaska show (Northern... something) that just launched on Hulu?

Edit: The Great North. He's the composer and executive producer, but not a writer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I watched Secret of the Kells and other then mentally noting "this art style is different" I remember absolutely nothing about it. The place in my brain for that film is completely empty, nothing lives there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I watched Song of the Sea with my girlfriend, so I have fond memories of it, even if I don't remember the plot, exactly.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Breadwinner was robbed at the Oscars

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I found a super old teaser for Song of the Sea where the uploader states they worked on it in 2009. Makes me wonder what the studio's working on right now that we're not going to see for almost a decade.

Wish I could find the song they used in this too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Netflix recently readded the Lego Movie 2, so I watched that for the first time last weekend.

I guess they lost it. I can't find it via search on the Apple TV or the iOS app.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I watched Secret of the Kells and other then mentally noting "this art style is different" I remember absolutely nothing about it. The place in my brain for that film is completely empty, nothing lives there.

They're very pretty films but they desperately need story work.

OddlySpecificGuy
Jan 11, 2021

by Cyrano4747
Can somebody close this thread and make way for Animation 2021: Actual Animation in Theatres, This Time????

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Has Disney said anything about Raya? The trailer said "March" which is a lol

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fartington Butts posted:

Has Disney said anything about Raya? The trailer said "March" which is a lol

It’s coming to D+ same deal as Mulan, so like $30

Interesting that it and Mulan are considered premium and worth charging for, but Soul wasn’t

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cold day in loving hell I'd pay $30 for mulan, however I love dragons so...

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

mulan was definitely not worth anything extra, shame

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedrigall posted:

Interesting that it and Mulan are considered premium and worth charging for, but Soul wasn’t
What's racism, precious?

Thank God HBO Max didn't try that poo poo with WW84. They could get away with it for SNYDERCUT though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hedrigall posted:

It’s coming to D+ same deal as Mulan, so like $30

Could have something to do with Pixar

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Definitely gonna fork over for Raya, it’s probably in my top 3 most anticipated movies right now along with Jungle Cruise and Dune

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Definitely gonna fork over for Raya, it’s probably in my top 3 most anticipated movies right now along with Jungle Cruise and Dune

no one tell hedrigall what Jungle Cruise is actually about, let him hope

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pick posted:

no one tell hedrigall what Jungle Cruise is actually about, let him hope

It's a supply ship for Fordlandia.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

What's racism, precious?

Thank God HBO Max didn't try that poo poo with WW84. They could get away with it for SNYDERCUT though.

Soul just came out later. The 30 dollar experiment for Mulan didn't work so the films after it won't be doing it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Barudak posted:

Soul just came out later. The 30 dollar experiment for Mulan didn't work so the films after it won't be doing it.

But they are for Raya, which prompted me to ask why they didn’t for Soul

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If Mulan is any indication, the $30 upcharge is only for bad movies

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm good with waiting the, like, extra two months instead of paying $30

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedrigall posted:

I can only believe they thought it was too soon after Mulan and too close to WW, and that it was a hard sell to audiences to follow a black jazz musician given the protests of summer?

Iono, there were a surprising amount of goons going :ughh:"ugh. JAZZ MUSIC" when it was being discussed...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hating jazz music is ftl, gotta say

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Testing the waters, the 30$ Mulan thing didn't go over well as they wanted so now they're trying to gauge whether that's because Mulan was a bad movie or if 30 dollars really is too high.

They didn't try it with Soul because it was too close to Mulan release date wise, people might still be pissed about Mulan and refuse to pay for it on principal. They needed to let enough time pass for everyone to forget about their previous bullshit so they could have a fresh start trying the exact same bullshit again.

That's my theory anyway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think what they may be confused about is apparently it did actually work for Trolls, so there are a lot of variables in there.

But I think a huge one was that Trolls was more kid-kid oriented, Mulan isn't something that you can put your 5 year old in front of for two hours unattended.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hating jazz is faster than light?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hating jazz is some real boomer poo poo. Also racism.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I think what they may be confused about is apparently it did actually work for Trolls, so there are a lot of variables in there.

But I think a huge one was that Trolls was more kid-kid oriented, Mulan isn't something that you can put your 5 year old in front of for two hours unattended.

Trolls was also 19.99, not 30.00.

That extra 10.01 makes a big difference.

And remember, in addition to being more kid oriented like you said, Trolls came out right at the beginning of the pandemic when parents were desperate to have something new and happy and fun to show their kids during a scary time. Oh, and grown adult who love cartoons (like me) were pretty desperate for something happy and fun too. Trolls was the right time, and the right price, and I'm not sure replicating that success is going to be easy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Trolls 2 also wasn't part of a streaming service. You rent it on VOD like a normal VOD movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The MSJ posted:

Trolls 2 also wasn't part of a streaming service. You rent it on VOD like a normal VOD movie.

Another good point.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah $10 is a big drat difference, both perception-wise and, well, percentage-wise. Plus Trolls was a much more obviously kid-friendly movie.

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that not charging anything for Soul had something to do with Pixar; either they themselves didn't want the extra paywall, or Disney's number-crunchers determined that a Pixar movie shouldn't have it for whatever reason.

It definitely could also be racism but for the time being I'm trying to assume it isn't.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's way late and out of season but I watched the lego holiday special and it was really bad, which is so dumb because they had a template to make it really bad and have everyone love it then instead they just made it regular bad. The only worthwhile part was yoda in the rudolph special snowman sweater.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm thinking the line of reasoning is that they wanted a big "free" Christmas Day premiere to market the same way that WB did for WW84.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It was incredibly bad, and I wish they’d given it to the actual Lego Movies team.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I watched The Secret World of Arrietty yesterday and it was a deeply conflicting movie. The artwork, particularly the background textures, are incredible and the sound design and music are great.

But the theme was nihilistically horrifying: kid comes to stay at his Grandma's house, won't leave the Borrowers alone and forces them to leave their safe and secure home. But he feels bad about it and is forgiven so it's okay.

And he even gives a speech about how yeah humans are destroying the world but hey poo poo happens. It was a deeply weird message. Like there's a small sideline about going out and exploring the world and not being afraid but it's definitely secondary. And the forced separation of the two cultures also is weird.

And there's this similar ambiguity with Princess Mononoke where humans' destruction of the world is shown as something akin to a resigned force of nature only capable of slight change.

Even though Arrietty's only 12 years old I feel that it and Mononoke just don't have the capacity to view the actual horror of what humanity does, and engage in a weird "both sides" liberalism that has just aged poorly. But hey my favourite is still Ponyo and I find Spirited Away a supercharged mess so.

But man those backgrounds are great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's literally just Miyazaki's nihilism. He's not happy about it but doesn't see it stopping. He's also an old man, so he's had plenty of time to see it not stop.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Segue posted:

But the theme was nihilistically horrifying: kid comes to stay at his Grandma's house, won't leave the Borrowers alone and forces them to leave their safe and secure home. But he feels bad about it and is forgiven so it's okay.

And he even gives a speech about how yeah humans are destroying the world but hey poo poo happens. It was a deeply weird message. Like there's a small sideline about going out and exploring the world and not being afraid but it's definitely secondary.
Hm, I didn't read it that way. It definitely has hints of "stay in your lane, dumbest boundary pushing teen" but it also has elements of being open to outsiders and building friendships based on mutual trust. The kid is able to overcome his pessimism due to Arietty and Pod's tenacity, for example.

The kid's foil is the nosy housekeeper who, apparently, spoke about the Borrowers as a youth and was branded nutso. So she goes to incredibly destructive lengths to capture and imprison seemingly sentient creatures for her own benefit. Though, that reminds me that it's hinted that the Doll House was built for a family of Borrowers by the kid's relatives, hinting that the situation between the two groups was a bit different in the past.

The kid, by contrast, seems to get the whole thing about being constrained (due to his illness) and does try to at least make marginal improvements on the Borrowers' homestead. But he can't place himself in their shoes to see how terrifying his good act (replacing the kitchen) is to an outgroup who struggles for survival.

I'm guessing that the muddled messaging comes from Miyazaki's wistful nostalgia for the animism that the older generation used as a push to be more mindful of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The kid was a dumbass trying to replace a kitchen while someone was still in it.