Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
People say the R word all the time. This word is a derogatory and historically negative term to describe people with mental illness or for exhibiting non-conforming behavior. I think it is bad when people use it, and I think there are a lot of people who share that opinion.

Let's talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

The R word? I've never heard of such a thing, could you tell me what it is? Explain it to me like I'm dim, like my lightbulb is burnt, like I'm one apple short of a cart, like I'm not a very intelligent person in relative terms.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Office Pig posted:

The R word? I've never heard of such a thing, could you tell me what it is? Explain it to me like I'm dim, like my lightbulb is burnt, like I'm one apple short of a cart, like I'm not a very intelligent person in relative terms.

Here is an article on the topic in which they explicitly state the word:

https://www.verywellfamily.com/what-is-the-r-word-3105651

Trigger warning obviously.

I agree with the article that, like most "curse" words, it is an exceptionally uncreative insult and you should try harder by insulting people without being derogatory to any groups

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Still unclear which word you mean. Plenty of words begin with R

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fluoride Jones posted:

Still unclear which word you mean. Plenty of words begin with R

perhaps you should read literally the first sentence of the article i linked, which will clarify things.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think its great and everyone should use it. theres literally no word that can describe it without becoming an insult. When I was younger "mentally disabled" was the non-offensive version. if someone calls you that its the same thing. Also, its a really fun word to say. battles over language are fought because "progressives" have so little power that they think if they can change this they're actually changing the world for the better, which is lol.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
now we're cooking with gas

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

quote:

R-word.org

Primo domain name

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree, Republicans should be banned.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

quote:

Taintrunner

quote:

Runner of Taints

quote:

(R)un My Taint

quote:

It is bad when people talk about the (R) word

it's all coming 2ogether

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
yes it is a bad word to say so people shuoldnt say it

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

what about all the other words that start with letters?

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

Mirello posted:

I think its great and everyone should use it. theres literally no word that can describe it without becoming an insult. When I was younger "mentally disabled" was the non-offensive version. if someone calls you that its the same thing. Also, its a really fun word to say. battles over language are fought because "progressives" have so little power that they think if they can change this they're actually changing the world for the better, which is lol.

It's the euphemism treadmill. I heard some zoomers on twitch calling someone "differently abled" the other day as an insult. Idiot and moron were medical diagnoses at one point and a word like retard was the clinical replacement. Their mental growth is retarded, it can't be an insult, it's just a descriptor. But it became one, and so will whatever word is used to replace it no matter how technical. People will always want to call someone dumb and being upset about it only adds power to the word. The only way to get over it is to hop off the treadmill and just accept that these words will be used and if you stop making them taboo and sacred they will ultimately be less hurtful.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

baw posted:

yes it is a bad word to say so people shuoldnt say it

see this is what i agree with

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
enough of this! there are those who are a bawdy and ribald sort, and that's just that

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

teh r word

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The movement to censor "the R-word" is an anti-black agenda, to put it on the level of the N-word. If you feel like you're being hit when people use the word, that says more about you than it does the person using it. We shouldn't stop using the word until the people it describes stop existing. Just because they run your country doesn't mean we should coddle them.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The movement to censor "the R-word" is an anti-black agenda, to put it on the level of the N-word. If you feel like you're being hit when people use the word, that says more about you than it does the person using it. We shouldn't stop using the word until the people it describes stop existing. Just because they run your country doesn't mean we should coddle them.

R-word Occupied Government

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Fluoride Jones posted:

R-word Occupied Government

no those were Q people

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

sorry, 'Q-word' people

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
It’s a good and fun word because it’s an insult that is actually insulting in an era where [redacted]s like David Simon have totally devalued swear words by calling people gently caress weasels or poo poo sticks or whatever.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

shut up ya rear end cobra

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Rand Paul is disgusting. Excuse my language.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have literally never heard it used in a derogatory fashion towards a mentally disadvantaged person. Yes people use it to describe dumb acts from non-disadvantaged people, I could see that being vaguely hurtful if someone internalized the word? But I have never heard a mentally disadvantaged person complain about its use, just non-disadvantaged people on the internet, but maybe I'm making polite assumptions about you op

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Flashing back to when there was genuine internet-wide discourse over how ableist words like stupid and idiot were. Thank you president Biden for returning America to its past glory :patriot:

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

Theyre too redacted to be insulted and need op to be their voice by controlling language with no actual capacity to cause harm

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it (the R word adjective - His plan to fix the deficit is R******d) is the best hate word OP because it means diminished in potency, slowed, or regressed and it makes people fuming mad when you call them / their ideas that glibly, while other words with those meanings don't elicit much anger. it's also unfortunately a euphemism that replaced 'idiot' 'moron' 'cretin 'imbecile' and 'simple' as medical terminology and whatever in the 1960s and so gained a derogatory and medical connotation. I think calling someone (the R word noun - She is a R****d) sounds mean and crass and I don't like it because it's only sensible as an ableist slur and should be opposed. I remember, and I think thanks to South Park, that as a kid my classmates would call things they didn't like 'Gay' or 'Jewish' without them (my classmates) clearly connecting those terms to their literal meanings and the people who they represent, much like how many use the R word today, and I think it's good that the level of faux pas of those has, I think, eradicated them, and so ultimately my love for a word that I think is validly mocking wrong thinking to the highest level - and we need such a word - is not worth the expense of those who society deems wrong thinking by nature.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dolphin posted:

I have literally never heard it used in a derogatory fashion towards a mentally disadvantaged person. Yes people use it to describe dumb acts from non-disadvantaged people, I could see that being vaguely hurtful if someone internalized the word? But I have never heard a mentally disadvantaged person complain about its use, just non-disadvantaged people on the internet, but maybe I'm making polite assumptions about you op

thank you i appreciate it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

honestly once i learn about it i just find it pretty easy to not use words that seem to annoy people, both on here and irl

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

honestly once i learn about it i just find it pretty easy to not use words that seem to annoy people, both on here and irl

yes thank you this is like my main point all the time: using a different word is easy because there are lots of words. learn more words maybe

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mirello posted:

I think its great and everyone should use it. theres literally no word that can describe it without becoming an insult.

same but with wigger

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

CODChimera posted:

every single word that falls under the umbrella of human language will induce annoyance in the brain of another, so follows the nature of the belligerent ape

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Office Pig posted:

every single word that falls under the umbrella of human language will induce annoyance in the brain of another, so follows the nature of the belligerent ape

yeah man i loving hate "the"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Stereotype posted:

yeah man i loving hate "the"

it's unnecessary and you're wasting my loving time by saying it

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

this is reminding me of when twitter banned the word bimbo and our whole community collapsed

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

completely worthless word

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Office Pig posted:

oh wow you're right i guess that means we should just be able to say anything we want with no regard for others

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

CODChimera posted:

oh wow you're right i guess that means we should just be able to say anything we want with no regard for others

sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will start a nuclear war

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

this is reminding me of when twitter banned the word bimbo and our whole community collapsed

wait bimbo is banned? that's bullshit i like that word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

good, bad, self-destruction is built into our dna