Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

duz posted:

there is also blast (1997), it is die hard in a natatorium during the atlantic olympics
andrew divoff is playing hans gruber and rutger hauer is playing sgt al powell

that sounds nutty, i love it, gonna try to watch that

i loved richard jewel so i am hungry for more films about the atlanta olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Lockout is Die Hard on a space station

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Lockout is Die Hard on a space station

nice

i have also discovered that 2017's security starring Antonio Banderas is a die hard in a mall

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

is broken arrow with christian slater and john travolta a die hard?

or is it a western?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Broken Arrow is Die Hard in a national park

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Home Alone is reverse Die Hard

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

indigi posted:

well if a die hard boils down to a person with unexpected prowess foiling a plot by showing up serendipitously, i'd say home alone is a reverse reverse die hard

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

bipoc films get such lovely coverage the issue isnt finding film critics willing to review them its finding publications that are willing to publish them

if anybody knows of any such publications by the way id be interested in checking them out

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

if the argument is that Kevin is the one who is perpetrating a plot, a plot to take full advantage of staying home alone, which is then foiled by the wet bandits then, yes, that may be a reverse die hard

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

one day, they will discover how to empathise with people who aren't exactly like them

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

I've always felt that these attitudes are fundamentally due to laziness. they're basically a way of getting twitter clout by *not* working. "oh yeah, I'd love to write up my take on Get Out/the new Beyoncé album/the Floyd protests... but isn't this really the job of BIPOC critics?"

conveniently, this also means that there's no way to improve the state of media criticism until there are more BIPOC critics. weird how that's taking so long. anyways, I'll be over here posting

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Critics should stop reviewing non-BIPOC films too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

indigi posted:

home alone is a siege horror film like the purge or panic room

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

I've always felt that these attitudes are fundamentally due to laziness. they're basically a way of getting twitter clout by *not* working. "oh yeah, I'd love to write up my take on Get Out/the new Beyoncé album/the Floyd protests... but isn't this really the job of BIPOC critics?"

conveniently, this also means that there's no way to improve the state of media criticism until there are more BIPOC critics. weird how that's taking so long. anyways, I'll be over here posting

i assumed the last critics left in the US were like 5 old white people who work for the NYT, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Atrocious Joe posted:

i assumed the last critics left in the US were like 5 old white people who work for the NYT, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal.

there's this site called YouTube...

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hodgepodge posted:

there's this site called YouTube...
And you want to interface with it using an app called NewPipe...

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

'this organization/us/white people in general need to listen to more BIPOC' with barely any context is just an enourmously popular genre of tweet that you can always post because its so vague that only extremely stupid racists will object to it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aglet56 posted:

It also means they don't have to actually put any effort into trying to understand issues from the perspective of other people

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Atrocious Joe posted:

nah LA Times employs some young folk to give glowing reviews of superhero movies and also the latest groundbreaking movie to tell the stories of wealthy [insert ethnicity here] people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Escape Plan is Die Hard in a prison

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
that latest conservative movie about a school shooting that Ben Shapiro bought the distribution rights for is also Die Hard

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1352803501303357440

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

what's the big deal of course hitler would like doom

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Isn't there an issue of FF where Reed names one of the evils Doom forces upon Latveria as socialized medicine?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

personally im struck by the idea that doctor doom isnt actually one of the most important and powerful people in the world unless a newspaper acknowledges his existence an idea so dumb it doesnt even show up in the original cartoon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Black Panther was basically made as a sympathetic counterpart to Dr Doom.

Usually Doom's said to be a tyrant who only makes Latveria a decent place to live because he views his subjects as more pets than people, and like lol that's such a step up from literally any country's actual leadership

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
is the Illuminati still a thing in Marvel comics right now

I mostly only ever read Ultimate Spider-Man and relatively self-contained stuff like Hawkguy but I remember the Illuminati existing and it being all rich white dudes and also Black Panther, and for some reason we were supposed to believe that Tony Stark and a bunch of literal monarchs were good guys, honest

(if there's anything that's been really good since Hawkguy ended let me know. I got tired of trying to keep up with that poo poo; I'd try to follow writers I knew I liked and then they'd, like, write six issues on one series and then move to something else)

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
No

Right now X-men are pulling this weird racist authoritarian mutant ethno state. It’s good sci-fi but bad government

E: the 2015 vision does the super hero’s in the suburbs that wandavision is trying to do but without the “spooky scary what a twist” stuff

Ulta has issued a correction as of 12:54 on Jan 24, 2021

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
The immortal hulk is creepy body horror that still finds cool and gross new ways to be entertaining.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DoubleDonut posted:

is the Illuminati still a thing in Marvel comics right now

I mostly only ever read Ultimate Spider-Man and relatively self-contained stuff like Hawkguy but I remember the Illuminati existing and it being all rich white dudes and also Black Panther, and for some reason we were supposed to believe that Tony Stark and a bunch of literal monarchs were good guys, honest

(if there's anything that's been really good since Hawkguy ended let me know. I got tired of trying to keep up with that poo poo; I'd try to follow writers I knew I liked and then they'd, like, write six issues on one series and then move to something else)

I only remember the one time they were talking about their love lives and Namor calls out Reed for having basically trapped Sue in their marriage by turning her into a superpowered freak.

Also, Namor sits on that and also the Hellfire Club iirc

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Doom rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldikD78vTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-R6mxI5X4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmCytJPqQis

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Continuing my read-through of the Clancy novel, there's a couple of excerpts I'd like to share:

This first one is bad history. The Germans weren't watching for Patton specifically, they were watching for the phantom army formations that the Allies had conjured up (such as the "1st United States Army Group") because of radio intercepts describing these units, and then believed that Patton would be the one leading the army because he was the general they knew most/best. The deceptive creation of the army came first, and then Patton's association with it followed, not that Patton himself was the bait.

This second one is just weird. I've never seen a take that saw the Yalta Conference being a bad thing. It's almost like in the politics of 2015 the author has revised history in his head so hard that it's bad now because it involved working with and striking a deal with Stalin. The rejection of the comparison to Roosevelt is also bizarre. Are we supposed to believe FDR is also bad now?

This last one is maybe the most improbable plot point of the book: Not-Putin knows that he's becoming unpopular even among the cabal of oligarchs that he's ingratiated himself with to run Russia, so he wants to be able to to safely store his money outside of Russia, but also out of the reach of both his domestic and foreign enemies. How do you sneak away billions so that it's "untraceable"? Why, you use your ill-gotten Russian Rubles to buy bitcoins, and then you convert the bitcoins back into US Dollars, and the money is 100% laundered and nobody can tell who did it or where the money came from!

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Jan 24, 2021

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Egg Moron posted:

A list of Die Hards
--------------------------------
Die Hard in a building

Die Hard 2, Die Hard in a airport

Die Hard with a Vengeance, Die Hard in New York City

Under Siege, Die Hard on a Boat

Under Siege 2 Dark Territory, Die Hard on a Trian

Sudden Death, Die Hard at a hockey game

Toy Soldiers, Die Hard at a starfleet academy

Passenger 57, Die Hard on an airplane

Air Force One, Die Hard on Air Force One

Cliffhanger, Die Hard on a mountain

Executive Decision, Die Hard on an airplane, a big one

3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain, Die Hard at an amusement park

some are debatable

is con air a dire hard?

is the rock a die hard?

Die Hards being replaced by Takens is a real issue imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Continuing my read-through of the Clancy novel, there's a couple of excerpts I'd like to share:

This first one is bad history. The Germans weren't watching for Patton specifically, they were watching for the phantom army formations that the Allies had conjured up (such as the "1st United States Army Group") because of radio intercepts describing these units, and then believed that Patton would be the one leading the army because he was the general they knew most/best. The deceptive creation of the army came first, and then Patton's association with it followed, not that Patton himself was the bait.

This second one is just weird. I've never seen a take that saw the Yalta Conference being a bad thing. It's almost like in the politics of 2015 the author has revised history in his head so hard that it's bad now because it involved working with and striking a deal with Stalin. The rejection of the comparison to Roosevelt is also bizarre. Are we supposed to believe FDR is also bad now?

This last one is maybe the most improbable plot point of the book: Not-Putin knows that he's becoming unpopular even among the cabal of oligarchs that he's ingratiated himself with to run Russia, so he wants to be able to to safely store his money outside of Russia, but also out of the reach of both his domestic and foreign enemies. How do you sneak away billions so that it's "untraceable"? Why, you use your ill-gotten Russian Rubles to buy bitcoins, and then you convert the bitcoins back into US Dollars, and the money is 100% laundered and nobody can tell who did it or where the money came from!

Also, Patton was out of command at the time because he went around slapping soldiers with PTSD and berating them as cowards. The phantom army thing wasn't just because Patton was somebody the Germans knew, it was also because Patton needed something to do since Eisenhower didn't trust him to be part of the actual invasion.

And the Yalta thing doesn't surprise me at all. Look at how Munich became a dirty word in American politics after WW2 because Americans convinced themselves that the problem with the Munich Conference was that people were willing to talk to Hitler. There's a particular strain of American thinking that lasted through the entire Cold War and lasted through the entire post-Cold War and has so far lasted through the entire post-9/11 era, which sees the very act of diplomacy and negotiation as bad because it's a new Munich and talking to enemies is bad. Every enemy of the US is a new Hitler, and Hitler can't be reasoned with or negotiated with, the only option is to invade his country and kill him. Stalin was Hitler, Khrushchev was Hitler, Brezhnev was Hitler, Gorbachev was Hitler, Saddam was Hitler, every Kim in charge of North Korea was or is Hitler, Putin is Hitler, Ayatollah Khamenei is Hitler, and so you can't sit down and negotiate with any of these people, you have to just crush them militarily because negotiating with Hitler is pointless.

Saying "actually Yalta was bad because negotiating with Hitlerstalin is inherently bad no matter what" is a logical extension of this near-century-old line of thought.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

doom is the dictatorship of the proletariat, paradoxically contained in one man and also randomly oooh ooh evil mcbad because otherwise he might make richards look even worse

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Egg Moron posted:

A list of Die Hards
--------------------------------
Die Hard in a building

Die Hard 2, Die Hard in a airport

Die Hard with a Vengeance, Die Hard in New York City

Under Siege, Die Hard on a Boat

Under Siege 2 Dark Territory, Die Hard on a Trian

Sudden Death, Die Hard at a hockey game

Toy Soldiers, Die Hard at a starfleet academy

Passenger 57, Die Hard on an airplane

Air Force One, Die Hard on Air Force One

Cliffhanger, Die Hard on a mountain

Executive Decision, Die Hard on an airplane, a big one

3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain, Die Hard at an amusement park

some are debatable

is con air a dire hard?

is the rock a die hard?

Skyscraper is Die Hard in a tower

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

doom is basically tony stark being honest with himself

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Watching "Away" and I hope the Russian and the Chinese astronauts won't keep conspiring against the American the whole series because that's going to be some bullshit

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

The immortal hulk is creepy body horror that still finds cool and gross new ways to be entertaining.

immortal hulk is the first US superhero series I've read in a few years and it's been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

vyelkin posted:

Also, Patton was out of command at the time because he went around slapping soldiers with PTSD and berating them as cowards. The phantom army thing wasn't just because Patton was somebody the Germans knew, it was also because Patton needed something to do since Eisenhower didn't trust him to be part of the actual invasion.

And the Yalta thing doesn't surprise me at all. Look at how Munich became a dirty word in American politics after WW2 because Americans convinced themselves that the problem with the Munich Conference was that people were willing to talk to Hitler. There's a particular strain of American thinking that lasted through the entire Cold War and lasted through the entire post-Cold War and has so far lasted through the entire post-9/11 era, which sees the very act of diplomacy and negotiation as bad because it's a new Munich and talking to enemies is bad. Every enemy of the US is a new Hitler, and Hitler can't be reasoned with or negotiated with, the only option is to invade his country and kill him. Stalin was Hitler, Khrushchev was Hitler, Brezhnev was Hitler, Gorbachev was Hitler, Saddam was Hitler, every Kim in charge of North Korea was or is Hitler, Putin is Hitler, Ayatollah Khamenei is Hitler, and so you can't sit down and negotiate with any of these people, you have to just crush them militarily because negotiating with Hitler is pointless.

Saying "actually Yalta was bad because negotiating with Hitlerstalin is inherently bad no matter what" is a logical extension of this near-century-old line of thought.

also specifically Yalta has been a stab-in-the-back myth for the sort of hardcore neocons who think we should have invaded in 46; that's not a new thing. most of them hate fdr for being an obvious cryptocommunist anyway