Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I finally get fed up with the giant mess that is my garage. I really want some clean organized space to get the tig welder setup. I finally got rid of a bunch of dumb stuff I was hording for no reason. Like a messed up 307 camshaft, cast intake manifold, oiled compressor pump, two air compressor electric motors. I think I'm going to build a few engine stands for my 750 motors so they are easier to move around as well. I bought a lowbrowcustoms one so I can use it as a template to make more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Was that garage ever wide enough to hold a car? Regardless, looks like a place where things get done. Nice.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

LloydDobler posted:

Was that garage ever wide enough to hold a car? Regardless, looks like a place where things get done. Nice.

It would have to be a small car but yeah. Now that all the shelving is in there though now way lol.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You're obviously into motorcycles so I assume it works for that just fine.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I was finally able to pick up the husky table and 2x rolling cabinet deal that I got from Home Depot. Too cold to put it together today though and they won't fit out the door if I put them together inside

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I finally got my tig welder in and got it setup. I bought another gas cylinder on craigslist since all I had was mixed gas for the mig welder and my oxy / acetylene setup. I'm going to order a welding cart here soon so its more mobile but for now its fine where it is. I plan to do a lot of welding sitting down at the big metal table. I also finally broke down and bought some peg board so I could organize my wrenches, hammers, and angle grinder discs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What's the current deal on LED shop lights vaguely int he form of fluorescent tubes? Ore replacements if that makes sense.

I have a 6' double tube (ancient large diameter bulbs) with a bad ballast/bulbs. So I'm up for gutting it to bypass the ballast and put in replacement LED tubes or just put up another fixture. I know several of you have done cosco/walmart/whatever in the past. Dunno if any of those worked out long term and are still a deal.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Broadly speaking, I prefer the LED tube replacements if they're available and cost effective. Sure it's not an 8' fixture with the FA8 single pin ends? The LED replacements I'm seeing are very expensive compared to the more common 4' and 8' tubes. Is it a single bulb length or double 3' bulbs?

Anyway, the reason I prefer the replacement LED bulbs is that eventually it will fail and to me it makes more sense to replace a bulb than an entire fixture, especially if they're hardwired in conduit like that ones in my shop. Mine are still in service in an unconditioned metal building for about 7 years. I've had one bulb failure, and a few that have a small section of LEDs out, but overall I'm happy with their performance and durability.

That being said, if it's one fixture, it's no hardship to replace it with the Costco or whatever currently most cost effective one is.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 24, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So I'm an idiot and just went to double check. It's two 4 foot T-12s. And one of the end caps is cracked. I guess this narrows the question to if anybody knows the current good deal on a full fixture or at least one that isn't complete crap like so many LED things turn out to be these days.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I've had these ones from HD hanging for maybe 2 years now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...03161/205331022

I flip the switch and it gets brighter, flip it off and it fades to black. The linking is nice, but it's a bit janky since they don't really positively lock together.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've had a dozen of the 4' LED linkable fixtures from Sam's Club in the garage for three or four years now. One of them got a little finicky after a couple years, but only after it's been on for a long time. I just moved that one to the basement and swapped it out. For $20, I'm happy with them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thanks. For lack of a Sams Club membership knowing the Home Depot commercial electrics will at least be likely to keep me from having to fix/replace it for a few years seems like the path of least resistance. I'll head down and pick one up when it's not one of the days full of clueless homeowners wandering the aisles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've used Hyperikon as they worked with my old T12 ballasts before I got around to removing them (fortunately they don't have any PCBs so easier to recycle). I've had them a year and they seem fine, but pricey. Not fully bridge rectified like I had hoped, but this doesn't bother 99.99% of people I think.

Edit: at the edges of the light the colors split into blue and yellow I think, but it's in the basement, so I don't care. I can get a pic if you want but it seems like going through Home Depot or another store would be easier than mail order if you need warranty service.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 24, 2021

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have had 8 of the costco Feit ones for about 3 years, and they've been good so far. I don't think I've seen them on sale recently, though. The usual price is $27-30; they seem to go on sale for $20 a couple times a year.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Motronic posted:

Thanks. For lack of a Sams Club membership knowing the Home Depot commercial electrics will at least be likely to keep me from having to fix/replace it for a few years seems like the path of least resistance. I'll head down and pick one up when it's not one of the days full of clueless homeowners wandering the aisles.

Really living up to the "I know more than you" avatar.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Really living up to the "I know more than you" avatar.

It was gifted to me before I'd ever seen the show.

I understood why after I watched.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've had the Costco pluggable light fixtures in my garage for years now, and if any of them has so much as lost a single LED I can't tell. I also have some of the ballast-compatible tubes in my laundry room.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Spent some time building the woodgears.ca cantilever shelves this weekend; modified the plans a little bit so they weren’t quite so deep. Not my best work but it turned out okay. The design is definitely solid, one of the arms by itself can support my entire weight from the end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

It was gifted to me before I'd ever seen the show.

I understood why after I watched.

If I have a tool or how to question i generally think "I bet there's a motronic post about this."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

If I have a tool or how to question i generally think "I bet there's a motronic post about this."

Gaddam I need to get a life and not have a laptop in the barn anymore.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Join the club.

And admitting that you have a problem is the first step.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, the connection system on those Commercial Electric/Home Depo lights is sketchy.

If feels like these maybe should plug in more and snap, but they don't. And if you tug on them they come out.

Whatever. This job is done. I had to spend extra time because the piece of romex that used to go to the old fixture was just tossed over/under everything halfway through the unfinished part of the basement. And the old light trough was NALED to the joist it was on.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Motronic posted:

If feels like these maybe should plug in more and snap, but they don't. And if you tug on them they come out.

Whatever. This job is done. I had to spend extra time because the piece of romex that used to go to the old fixture was just tossed over/under everything halfway through the unfinished part of the basement. And the old light trough was NALED to the joist it was on.

I installed some of these in a cold garage, and had to give them THE loving BUSINESS to get them in fully. Once they were in, they were definitely not coming out. But it was a little janky, it's the only part I didn't like about those lights.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

I installed some of these in a cold garage, and had to give them THE loving BUSINESS to get them in fully. Once they were in, they were definitely not coming out. But it was a little janky, it's the only part I didn't like about those lights.

Oh, alright thank you. I'll give 'em the business and see what happens. I really didn't feel like breaking them. But I suppose worst case I just cut the end off and put a real plug on there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

You're the dad we all deserve.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're the dad we all deserve aspire to be.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Crossing over from my own thread, finally getting this somewhat mediocrely made thing wired and signed off on by the electrician this weekend:

Discovered that the floor is more crooked than it aught to be so the left base is baseplate grouted now. Aught to be a few more days of the grout setting before I can safely test it after wiring. Also had to have the top bar re-welded after the Chinese factory managed to weld all the ears totally out of a alignment leaving it impossible to hook the thing up properly.

Also built this rolling tool rack because having everything on sharp edged metal shelves sucked:

View of the place when it was more organized, pre-hoist install:

Kind of awkwardly proportioned for a workshop as I converted it from a dirt floor halfround barn, but I've managed to make it mostly work so far.

Spades fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 28, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm jealous. Quonset huts are great.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I finally moved my 240 outlet to behind my welders. I also modified the welding cart I built so I could put both welders and tanks on it. I would prefer to have two carts but I just don't have the room. I'm going to make some rod holders and another hook for the tig ground cable. but Its so nice to just have them be together like this.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just figured out I have misunderstood the rules and that I can't build a 42m2 garage, only a 35m2 one... :sigh:

The original design was 6.7m wide by 6.3m deep. There would be some legal benefit* to sacrifice depth over width, but on the other hand, I'm guessing it will crazy suck to have to say no to cars, in the future, because they're 10cm too long.

Big cars sit right around five meters in length.

Thoughts?

*) It's going to sit on a slope, and the less "delta", the less I have to be given dispensation; has to do with the height.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Are there any tricks like digging it down in to the ground more? Lowering the height? Having two heights?

I'd sacrifice height for area, a lift is nice but I've worked on cars for decades without one. But yeah that sucks, 35 is on the small side.

My last garage was 6.1 x 6.1 meters which is just over 36, and just barely big enough for 2 cars with shelves on one side and overhead. One car was always right up against the workbench. It was way better than nothing, and better than my 1 car oversize that I had previously.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Deeper is always better, it would allow you to have a workbench in front of a parked car. My current garage is 14x24 and barely fits my Miata and shop junk. A lift would be a tight fit but doable, a 4 post would allow you to park 2 cars if there's enough height.

Some ideas on what people have done with a one car garage

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162541

One car garages with lifts, one guy has a 12x24

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227627

Nicely set up 16x24 with a Maxjax lift

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263351

Slightly bigger at 20x20

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251805

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies

A lift, sadly, is not in the works. The garage is limited in height to 2.5m (even that is in question, as I might have to measure from the center. Sidewalk is about .25m higher than that. Once we've done beams and roof insulation I'll be lucky to have 2m headroom. Not to mention the door.

As the slope is downwards from the sidewalk (and the garage needs to be all the way on the edge) there's no sloping down either, regrettably.

I'm basically limited to a 35m2 footprint box of height 2.5, maybe even a little lower.

Shelves above where the car is parked is definitely a good idea.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

bolind posted:

Thanks for the replies

A lift, sadly, is not in the works. The garage is limited in height to 2.5m (even that is in question, as I might have to measure from the center. Sidewalk is about .25m higher than that. Once we've done beams and roof insulation I'll be lucky to have 2m headroom. Not to mention the door.

As the slope is downwards from the sidewalk (and the garage needs to be all the way on the edge) there's no sloping down either, regrettably.

I'm basically limited to a 35m2 footprint box of height 2.5, maybe even a little lower.

Shelves above where the car is parked is definitely a good idea.

Is that limit one of those ones we have in Sweden that if you build less than x m2 and x height, you don't need planning permission?

Anyway, for that low garage ceiling, look into getting a Quickjack. I got one for that reason (but ended up using it outside only as the garage floor was too uneven...) and I'm very happy with it. IIRC you are from Denmark? Jula in Sweden has them for about 15k SEK. Might be cheaper than in DK if you are close to Sweden.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 15, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

Is that limit one of those ones we have in Sweden that if you build less than x m2 and x height, you don't need planning permission?

Yes and no. If it wasn't for the slope and the height issue, I could just go ahead and build. Glad I didn't though, what if I had spend $LOTS on a 42m2 garage only to be told to cut one sixths off!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Anyway, for that low garage ceiling, look into getting a Quickjack. I got one for that reason (but ended up using it outside only as the garage floor was too uneven...) and I'm very happy with it. IIRC you are from Denmark? Jula in Sweden has them for about 15k SEK. Might be cheaper than in DK if you are close to Sweden.

That's probably the best way forward. Yes, I'm in DK, right across the water, in fact. And with the relatively weak SEK, that could be a good deal.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Deeper is always better, it would allow you to have a workbench in front of a parked car. My current garage is 14x24 and barely fits my Miata and shop junk. A lift would be a tight fit but doable, a 4 post would allow you to park 2 cars if there's enough height.

Some ideas on what people have done with a one car garage

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162541

One car garages with lifts, one guy has a 12x24

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227627

Nicely set up 16x24 with a Maxjax lift

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263351

Slightly bigger at 20x20

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251805

Holy hell I forgot about garage journal - some pretty amazing stuff there.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Here is my garage ive had for the past 4 years - thinking of slapping in a lift but I would need to modify the ceiling. I'll post some more pics later, but it fits 4 cars without issue. Planning on redoing the flooring (suggestions welcome) and getting a beefy electric heater - its already wired with a 40amp

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Voltage posted:

Here is my garage ive had for the past 4 years - thinking of slapping in a lift but I would need to modify the ceiling. I'll post some more pics later, but it fits 4 cars without issue. Planning on redoing the flooring (suggestions welcome) and getting a beefy electric heater - its already wired with a 40amp

Hah, I recognize that car. How is it treating you? Wish I had your garage space.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Voltage posted:

If you're looking at a lift for working on stuff, versus stacking/storing, you might look into MaxJax or the QuickLift systems. I don't have the ceiling height for a real lift but I've been happy with the Quicklift. Floor I'd probably clean it then use a coating, my Dad's been happy with the rustoleum system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

c355n4 posted:

Hah, I recognize that car. How is it treating you? Wish I had your garage space.

Yaris has been great so far! Ive Just done some basic maintenance/detailing/rustproofing and put about 10k miles on it so far, super nice little car. I'll probably keep this this thing forever, I love how basic and simple everything is.