Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

one of my favorite episodes of hercules: the legendary journeys had a plot where iolaus is chosen to be a judge of a beauty contest between aphrodite, artemis, and athena. each one of them offers iolaus a reward for choosing them (artemis will make iolaus the greatest warrior of all time, athena will make him the most brilliant thinker of all time, and aphrodite says she'll give him a golden apple that will make any woman he wants fall in love with him). iolaus goes with aphrodite, and mainly did so cause he wanted her specifically. aphrodite sadly informs iolaus it only works on mortals. iolaus is, as expected, pretty angry and is about to throw away the apple, until he sees a beautiful woman walking along the beach and decides to test it out. unfortunately, the woman in question is a princess who was betrothed to marry the prince of a rival kingdom to bring peace.

so i didn't really give it much thought until i watched the episode again recently and was describing the plot to a friend of mine, but the premise is honestly kind of yikes-y. i mean, you're basically magically forcing someone to fall in love with you that may not have otherwise. in the show, this is not seen as a problem at all. the only reason it becomes a problem is that iolaus chose the wrong potential mate. had it been anyone else, it would have been played off as something completely fine, with them (presumably) getting happily married and all.

as i said, it was one of my favorite episodes as a kid, and this stuff was seemingly treated as completely normal and uncontroversial, and i only made the realization fairly recently. (granted, i hadn't seen this episode SINCE i was a kid, but still..).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

one of my favorite episodes of hercules: the legendary journeys had a plot where iolaus is chosen to be a judge of a beauty contest between aphrodite, artemis, and athena. each one of them offers iolaus a reward for choosing them (artemis will make iolaus the greatest warrior of all time, athena will make him the most brilliant thinker of all time, and aphrodite says she'll give him a golden apple that will make any woman he wants fall in love with him). iolaus goes with aphrodite, and mainly did so cause he wanted her specifically. aphrodite sadly informs iolaus it only works on mortals. iolaus is, as expected, pretty angry and is about to throw away the apple, until he sees a beautiful woman walking along the beach and decides to test it out. unfortunately, the woman in question is a princess who was betrothed to marry the prince of a rival kingdom to bring peace.

so i didn't really give it much thought until i watched the episode again recently and was describing the plot to a friend of mine, but the premise is honestly kind of yikes-y. i mean, you're basically magically forcing someone to fall in love with you that may not have otherwise. in the show, this is not seen as a problem at all. the only reason it becomes a problem is that iolaus chose the wrong potential mate. had it been anyone else, it would have been played off as something completely fine, with them (presumably) getting happily married and all.

as i said, it was one of my favorite episodes as a kid, and this stuff was seemingly treated as completely normal and uncontroversial, and i only made the realization fairly recently. (granted, i hadn't seen this episode SINCE i was a kid, but still..).

Kevin Sorbo's politics aged pretty poorly.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Kevin Sorbo's politics aged pretty poorly.

fun fact (which i just found out as well): this episode was apparently sorbo's first directorial debut on the show. so...yeah..

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

This is I guess an adaptation of The Iliad, which is older than it by like 3000 years, and even The Iliad has a part early on where Helen and Paris talk to each other about how hosed-up and wrong it is that Aphrodite made them fall in love.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

letthereberock posted:

Another funny note about that season - a young Stassi Shroeder, later of Vanderpump Rules (and possible racist?) was a member of one of the teams.
Stassi and another castmember got fired for basically sicking the police on a black woman. They did this because she showed up on the show with evidence that she had slept with one of the castmates boyfriend.
They thought she fit the profile (a black woman with a tattoo, lol) and even the LAPD told them to cut it off because there was absolutely no evidence. This was at the height of BLM. She also made some super weird comments about the Oscars So White thing and MeToo.

Speaking of the tv network Bravo, they currently have a housewife on that is a cultleader who is married to her stepgrandfather who made this weird sermon where she proclaims to be god: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTcQLnsut6U&feature=emb_logo
And they just fired a housewife who's the daughter of John MellenCamp and basically running an eating disorder cult: https://www.insider.com/teddi-mellencamp-diet-accountability-all-in-toxic-bullying-2020-10

Also, Woman Screams at Cat meme, is a screenshot of a scene where a Bravo housewife screams at a friend because the friend outed and endangered her by outing her husband for being physically and mentally abusive to her on national tv.

Reality tv is hosed up man.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Now that the Godzilla vs Kong or whatever trailer dropped and it looks so, so breathtakingly expensive and stupid. So very loving stupid... I think it's a good time to assess how well this modern Kaiju franchise will age.

Godzilla 2014 is even more of a snoozer now than it was on release, and Kong: Skull Island is dumb fun but I also strain to remember literally anything in it that wasn't John Goodman. I actually thought King of the Monsters was good for what it was trying to be, but it bombed at the box office for a product of that size and I'm not surprised that it did. It felt all over the place.

But I still think that King of the Monsters and this Kong/Godzilla one are gonna age well because they're this weird peek into an alternate universe where kaiju flicks are the MCU, albeit ones made by people who don't seem to understand that even the very, very best of the kaiju flicks have never permeated any culture the way that the Marvel heroes did even before the MCU flicks. There's a fascinating otherworld energy to them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is I guess an adaptation of The Iliad, which is older than it by like 3000 years, and even The Iliad has a part early on where Helen and Paris talk to each other about how hosed-up and wrong it is that Aphrodite made them fall in love.

oh yeah, i'm totally aware of the iliad. hercules: TLJ was always pretty loose with its connections to the original greek myths. but that being said, we know stories from thousands of years ago were pretty problematic (lots of instances of rape being seen as good things, as long as done by gods/heroes apparently), but you'd think modern interpretations would try to avoid such things.

(oddly enough, hercules never had a trojan war episode, but xena did...)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Now that the Godzilla vs Kong or whatever trailer dropped and it looks so, so breathtakingly expensive and stupid. So very loving stupid... I think it's a good time to assess how well this modern Kaiju franchise will age.

Godzilla 2014 is even more of a snoozer now than it was on release, and Kong: Skull Island is dumb fun but I also strain to remember literally anything in it that wasn't John Goodman. I actually thought King of the Monsters was good for what it was trying to be, but it bombed at the box office for a product of that size and I'm not surprised that it did. It felt all over the place.

But I still think that King of the Monsters and this Kong/Godzilla one are gonna age well because they're this weird peek into an alternate universe where kaiju flicks are the MCU, albeit ones made by people who don't seem to understand that even the very, very best of the kaiju flicks have never permeated any culture the way that the Marvel heroes did even before the MCU flicks. There's a fascinating otherworld energy to them.

i find it hard to believe that godzilla and the idea of giant monster movies didn't get digested by culture while iron man did

remember, the MCU was Marvel starting with basically loving nothing culturally and making gold out of it

Godzilla has been a household name for decades

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Godzilla 2014 is even more of a snoozer now than it was on release, and Kong: Skull Island is dumb fun but I also strain to remember literally anything in it that wasn't John Goodman.

Samuel L. Jackson loving carried that movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpEQCOsywk

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr Interweb posted:

It's a gift from the gods there's no possible sequence of events that works out well for Iolaus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arivia posted:

i find it hard to believe that godzilla and the idea of giant monster movies didn't get digested by culture while iron man did

remember, the MCU was Marvel starting with basically loving nothing culturally and making gold out of it

Godzilla has always been a merch king but aside from "the first one is an allegory for the bombs!" can you name one thing about them that's carried cultural cachet that isn't immediately tied to a toy, design, or comedy bit? I can't speak for you, but growing up Godzilla was always seen as Gen-X horseshit that was fun to embrace but ultimately hollow in lore and themes, the movies not worth a watch unless you were stoned and mocking it.

Say whatever you will about Marvel's crap, the "Gods and Monsters for 10 year olds" angle allowed them to make inroads with audiences that Godzilla frankly never did. By the time the MCU showed up, Raimi's Spider-Man had already been one of the biggest things on the planet for years and gave a handy blueprint for how to take that nonsense seriously enough to make billions. Godzilla's biggest cultural impact in the last 40 years was Shin-Godzilla which is basically "Ok Boomer: Godzilla Flavored."

That's exactly why the Legendary versions are so interesting-- they keep trying to reverse-engineer what the MCU did by taking all the lore, arcana, and conventions of Kaiju stuff seriously and finding that there just isn't a whole lot there unless you happen to stumble into really great secondary characters and theming.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sarcopenia posted:

I also heard and saw plenty of people go "Oh it's awful.... But we all looked up the pictures right, haha?/They really shouldn't have taken those pictures". Yeah, it's way better than "Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashian/Pamela Anderson is a loving whore and should loving kill herself, how dares she have the gall to make something out of it or merely survive it!?".

it probably helps that changes in technology have helped us understand why some of those people do those things in the first place, before you'd need some pretty inconvenient, ponderous equipment that not everyone has to produce risque media of yourself and a SO leading others, who have no experience doing these things, to question the wisdom of engaging in it in the first place - asking that question has the effect of shifting the blame from the people who are very obviously wrong, the people stole and distributed the private material in the first place, to folks who were essentially minding their own business in the privacy of their personal lives ... it'd be like some teens breaking into a house and getting drunk on whatever was in the liquor cabinet but then deciding that actually it ought to be the home owners who should be chastised for being such wretched winos (?)

nowadays more people have the means and opportunity, and perhaps even personal experience, with those types of risque media and can approach the situation more thoughtfully - at least more thoughtfully than just getting blown away by the initial concept of adults consenting to spice up their romantic lives and then focusing exclusively on how your personal objections to what they do makes them bad people

hard counter has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Feb 16, 2021

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

Speaking of the tv network Bravo, they currently have a housewife on that is a cultleader who is married to her stepgrandfather who made this weird sermon where she proclaims to be god: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTcQLnsut6U&feature=emb_logo
And they just fired a housewife who's the daughter of John MellenCamp and basically running an eating disorder cult: https://www.insider.com/teddi-mellencamp-diet-accountability-all-in-toxic-bullying-2020-10

Also, Woman Screams at Cat meme, is a screenshot of a scene where a Bravo housewife screams at a friend because the friend outed and endangered her by outing her husband for being physically and mentally abusive to her on national tv.

Reality tv is hosed up man.

Yeah the whole Bravo extended universe has enough hosed up stuff it could probably have it’s own thread here, though I doubt that many people on SA watch any of it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sarcopenia posted:

I agree that attitudes have somewhat changed today but the fact that even someone like you who is clearly disgusted by the whole thing still calls it that says a lot about the whole thing. You probably just did so because it was the most easily recognizable term for it but it just irks me. I also heard and saw plenty of people go "Oh it's awful.... But we all looked up the pictures right, haha?/They really shouldn't have taken those pictures". Yeah, it's way better than "Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashian/Pamela Anderson is a loving whore and should loving kill herself, how dares she have the gall to make something out of it or merely survive it!?". Especially when R-kelly just got a lot of piss jokes because that was the weirdest thing about literal childrape.

As someone who never looked up any of this stuff, I only remember anything about it because of the name. I agree the name is pretty terrible, but that is because the people who named it were pretty terrible. But unfortunately that is what people called it, and if you want everyone to immediately recognize what you're talking about, it's the term you have to use.

R. Kelly was a whole lotta bullshit though. It took far too long for most people to turn against him.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i'd heard it was called the fappening because the day they were first circulated, there was a cataclysmic deluge of failures posted on r/nofap :gonk:

i can definitely understand being irked by the name

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I watched all the seasons of Amazing Race with my wife a couple of years back. Except for the Family Edition we skipped that one after one episode.

Cowboys were the best team. 🤠

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Jan 24, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sweet geek swag posted:

R. Kelly was a whole lotta bullshit though. It took far too long for most people to turn against him.

One of my friends used to work for this guy (who clearly wrote his own wiki page) and has so many stories of being creeped out by R Kelly before anyone knew about the straight up sex crimes. Dude was constantly fidgeting with his dick through his sweatpants in the recording studio and his entourage had to run out and buy out the nearby stocks anything with the sex abuse story on the cover when that story dropped so R Kelly wouldn’t see it and throw a shitfit. But he made money so all the complaints ended up going nowhere.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mr Interweb posted:

Hercules And The Roofie Of Olympus
Relatedly, that extremely recent Richard Curtis film about the guy who can control time to get a thousand chances to get a girl to fall in love with him which sounded wrong as hell the instant I even heard of it, like Live Die Repeat except with an incel.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I watched all the seasons of Amazing Race with my wife a couple of years back. Except for the Family Edition we skipped that one after one season.

Cowboys were the best team. 🤠

Yeah they were chill.

That show definitely showed how travel and stress can bring out people’s true natures, even when they run contrary to a reality show narrative. I remember there was one season where one team was two pro-snowboarders who at first came off as totally laid back and fun loving.

Then one episode they come across a Buddhist temple:

“These people worship false idols? How can they not see how clear the Bible makes it that this is wrong!?”

Edit: Growing up in a not-that religious family, reality tv was actually one of my first windows into how rigid a lot of peoples thinking is. The above example is nothing compared to the China season of Survivor, where in the first episode one of the contestants literally broke down crying at the though of entering a Buddhist Temple for an introduction ceremony.

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Jan 24, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Torquemada posted:

Relatedly, that extremely recent Richard Curtis film about the guy who can control time to get a thousand chances to get a girl to fall in love with him which sounded wrong as hell the instant I even heard of it, like Live Die Repeat except with an incel.

I thought about time was a bit strange for this, where tim/tom/whatever his name uses his time travelling skills to meet the girl at a museum, then goes back in time to make sure she never meets her boyfriend. My friends said it was cute. Maybe we're talking about the same movie, I don't know who directed it.

Also how hosed was it that harry potter had a super roofie potion people seemed cool about, and also a potion that lets you turn into someone else.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I also remember someone having real trouble eating and keeping down a Chicago Deep Dish pizza in one episode.

He was acting like he was eating bugs or something. Some people ate bugs with less trouble than that dude had with pizza.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

letthereberock posted:

Yeah they were chill.

That show definitely showed how travel and stress can bring out people’s true natures, even when they run contrary to a reality show narrative. I remember there was one season where one team was two pro-snowboarders who at first came off as totally laid back and fun loving.

Then one episode they come across a Buddhist temple:

“These people worship false idols? How can they not see how clear the Bible makes it that this is wrong!?”

I remember hating Reichen and Chip since they were kind of the heels of Amazing Race 4 but in retrospect I give them a LOT of credit for doing it as a publicly married gay couple in the early 2000s. That took a lot of guts and heroism, and looking at their wikipedia pages both are big gay rights activists before and after the show. Go them.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

I thought about time was a bit strange for this, where tim/tom/whatever his name uses his time travelling skills to meet the girl at a museum, then goes back in time to make sure she never meets her boyfriend. My friends said it was cute. Maybe we're talking about the same movie, I don't know who directed it.

Also how hosed was it that harry potter had a super roofie potion people seemed cool about, and also a potion that lets you turn into someone else.

You guys would love Goodnight Sweetheart, a sitcom where a man finds a time portal to World War II and uses the infinite possibilities it offers to cheat on his wife with a barmaid.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

Godzilla vs Kong looks stupid awesome. These new monsterverse or whatever they're calling them movies are all pretty good. 2014 has a rough middle, but first and final act are great. Skull Island was big dumb fun: getting a helluva cast to play admittedly thin characters, the vietnam war movie aesthetic and the cool monster designs. Think it King of the Monsters was probably the weakest of the lot. Its plot is a bit messy and Bradley Whitford annoyed the hell out of me. Monster action was cool, but still a little too in the dark. The franchise's main problem is that there aren't really any human characters that are memorable, and more importantly still alive, able to show up. I can only hope the two universes cross over and I can finally see this on the big screen:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Torquemada posted:

Reminds me of an incident of this approach in an anime from a few years back.

Juni Taisen, or something like that. Bunch of magical Zodiac themed assassins in a battle royale to the death.

Anyways, one of the characters, Rat, is explaining how his power works. He can see 100 possible futures, then choose the one he wants to happen. The biggest downside being that he still remembers going through the other 99 as well, so he's constantly mentally exhausted.

While he's explaining his power, he mentions how it isn't perfect, since sometimes there just isn't a scenario where he "wins", referencing a time that he tried to woo a girl using his power, but failed all 100 times because she was too into someone else (or possibly gay, I can't remember exactly, the point being that he never had a chance with her) for anything he said or did to work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla 2014 is extremely underrated. People hate the "boring" military character it focuses on, but the movie is extremely faithful to the classic movies by portraying the military as utterly useless and actively making things worse.

It had a really botched home release with an extremely dark picture. It didn't look nearly as dark in theaters (saw it three times). They just announced a 4K release so hopefully they'll fix that.

Arivia posted:

At my first office job, I had Godzilla figures on my desk. One of my coworkers, a woman who had to have been in her 70s at minimum, had zero idea what they were. Never heard of Godzilla. I was dumbfounded.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Godzilla has always been a merch king but aside from "the first one is an allegory for the bombs!" can you name one thing about them that's carried cultural cachet that isn't immediately tied to a toy, design, or comedy bit? I can't speak for you, but growing up Godzilla was always seen as Gen-X horseshit that was fun to embrace but ultimately hollow in lore and themes, the movies not worth a watch unless you were stoned and mocking it.

You could say the first part about Marvel too, though. I loving love most Godzilla films, but I don't see their camp or comedy as a downside. If anything, that is it's unironic charm. It's a world operating on comic book logic and from time to time a massive dinosaur shows up. You can use that concept to tell all kinds of stories.

If you want to speak about Godzilla as a cultural cachet, you also have to include all films that took those concepts and ran with it. Without the big G, there wouldn't be a Jurassic Park 2, Cloverfield, Pacific Rim or Gigantic. King Kong brought big monsters to America, but Godzilla made them a force to be reckoned with rather than a tragic creature that's killed by modernity.

If Marvel and DC is our modern take on gods and heroes, then Godzilla and its offspring are our versions of the drag9n. It's the story of man versus nature, as old as the tales of wyrms and giants. It's about man accidently intruding upon a force of nature, and in our age that dragon took the shape of a radioactive lizard.

And yes, like you I absolutely love Legendary's attempts to bring those concepts into modern blockbusters. They may not be the most successful series of all time, but they're to me what the MCU is to most other people.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

letthereberock posted:

Yeah the whole Bravo extended universe has enough hosed up stuff it could probably have it’s own thread here, though I doubt that many people on SA watch any of it.
For sure. It's weird to see all of these channels try to fumble to be woke. The business is so inherently sleazy that they kind of live off of the shittiest people and they don't seem to know how to handle the audience being turned off by that stuff now. The funny thing is that they don't really have to do much. They're just used to making the awful people the stars instead of the foil. To be fair the audience with this kind of stuff is hard to please. They do want blood, but now they want it to be justified in a different way.
Like, I started watching the challenge about 3 years ago and then wanted to give the old seasons a go. I started with one from around 2006-2008-ish because it was available on Dailymotion. Right of the bat I was super uncomfortable with the misogyny. Most of it was directed at this one girl and I think it was just because she had a breast augmentation and was a stereo typically sexy blond. I googled her and found out that she was literally sexually assaulted by two other male contestants on the show.
The Brits aren't doing much better though.
This guy filmed himself and his unknowing costar having sex and then shared it on his onlyfans.
https://screenrant.com/celebrity-big-brother-stephen-bear-love-island-georgia-harrison-private-videos/ (He has also openly been dating a child since she was 15)
This dude was in possesion of child and animal rape material.
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/11/28/ex-on-the-beach-star-james-moore-charged-with-possessing-indecent-images-of-children/
They both started out on a dating show :downs:

One of the Bachelors also just got a restraining order from his pick because he harassed her and put a tracker on her car after they broke up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mr Interweb posted:

I agree with most of this but whereas you would describe it as “yikes-y” I would go with a much stronger “yikestastic” or even a “yikes-a-roonie”

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Sarcopenia posted:

Cats just don't give a gently caress

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

dads_work_files posted:

Cats just don't give a gently caress

Then perhaps... you should not gently caress with them?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The big problem with King of the Monsters was that you couldn’t loving see anything because it was dark and raining all the time. Just trust me to get over your CG looking shoddy, I’ll take it over any 20th century kaiju fare.

Though weirdly I love Pacific Rim which was also a very dark and wet movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

The big problem with King of the Monsters was that you couldn’t loving see anything because it was dark and raining all the time. Just trust me to get over your CG looking shoddy, I’ll take it over any 20th century kaiju fare.

Pacific Rim at least had a lot of bright neon to counter the darkness.

And the way the movie used water was great, Del Toro said in an interview that he used it since your brain knows how water moves so having the robots and monsters move through it gave a sense of scale/weight you couldn’t get without it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

So Groundhog Day?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pacific Rim at least had a lot of bright neon to counter the darkness.

And the way the movie used water was great, Del Toro said in an interview that he used it since your brain knows how water moves so having the robots and monsters move through it gave a sense of scale/weight you couldn’t get without it.

Huh well it loving worked cuz the fights in that had some mega weight behind them visually

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Simply put : because Del Toro is one of the best to ever do it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

well why not posted:

Simply put : because Del Toro is one of the best in the game

ftfy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kaiju movies really do suffer from directors making them all happen in the dark, the rain and/or the dust, probably trying to save on special effects. Will say that it's much less noticeable in the cinema probably because it's not oversaturated but also because the sound design and screen presence can make up for it. Even Pacific Rim is pretty guilty of this. At least it's not shakey-cam.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kaiju movies really do suffer from directors making them all happen in the dark, the rain and/or the dust, probably trying to save on special effects. Will say that it's much less noticeable in the cinema probably because it's not oversaturated but also because the sound design and screen presence can make up for it. Even Pacific Rim is pretty guilty of this. At least it's not shakey-cam.

I actually think they did used it well in the climax of Godzilla 2014. I've seen plenty of destroyed cities in movies before but that scene made me feel like "Oh poo poo, this is the apocalypse"

My big gripe, like most of the audience's, was the abrupt cut away from the big second act fight scene in Hawaii. I suspect for budget reasons.

Let me play script doctor for a second. They should've kept in the centipede monster from the teaser trailer. Make it the larval stage of the two adult MUTOs. Let Godzilla have a tough fight with it, destroy Honolulu, etc. Now let him go after the two bigger, stronger, pissed off parents in San Fran. What I'm saying is gimme $200 million and I'll film it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I thought Ghidorah's arrival in the city in KOTM ruled. Just a force of nature who is so massive and powerful it causes the weather to change. Also the first showdown where Ghidorah is towering over Godzilla ruled.

Basically any time there were giant monsters fighting it was a feel good movie.

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iUQ6sta_c