Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Which scenario was more likely in the long long ago:

1. You went to the video store specifically to peruse, and wandered the aisles filled with a sense of wonder and magic, being exposed to a whole world of different titles and genres in a way that's impossible in today's dreary world of algorithms

Or

2. You went to the video store for a specific movie, and they were out of copies of it. And anything else you might have been interested in. You left disappointed.

It was always number 2! Don't romanticize the past, it loving sucked.

not always. it was almost certainly more often #2 than people recall, but i remember doing #1 a lot (heh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

whats weird is, replicating that wandering experience would be really, really easy for The Algorithm. just add an option to revert the algorithm to 2005 specs

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I was an excitable and optimistic teenager during the blockbuster era so #2 really didn't happen actually!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Most people just rent some other video if the one they want is sold out. Back when Blockbuster had a competent CEO, he pointed out that if the new releases were gone, people walked away with their #2 and #3 choice. So they emphasized buying huge numbers of films on their week of release and gradually selling them off as used copies to clear up shelf space.

Personally I always got more information about a film from flipping a box around rather than looking at a Netflix slot, the written synopses were way more helpful than the first few seconds of a trailer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

je1 healthcare posted:

Personally I always got more information about a film from flipping a box around rather than looking at a Netflix slot, the written synopses were way more helpful than the first few seconds of a trailer.

Netflix tells you the run time and frankly that's the main thing most people care about.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1. You went to the video store specifically to peruse, and wandered the aisles filled with a sense of wonder and magic, being exposed to a whole world of different titles and genres in a way that's impossible in today's dreary world of algorithms

Or

2. You went to the video store for a specific movie, and they were out of copies of it. And anything else you might have been interested in. You left disappointed.

I love, love b-movies and similar trash so it was very rarely #2 for me, since if nothing grabbed me I was always able to just pick a martial arts or kaiju movie and have a good time.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
back when video stores existed, my then-partner and I went to the local chain looking for a horror movie. we picked out one called Aswang. it was about Filipino vampires, except these ones were white.

we then had the bizarre sensation of realizing that we'd already seen the movie, but it was so utterly forgettable that until a scene happened we had no idea what was coming up. everything that happened, we were like "oh yeah," but at no point did that lead to us remembering what would happen next. odd sensation, sort of like a dream.

in conclusion, movie bad. (I think this was the 1994 one. looks like there are a lot of Aswang movies out there.)

fake edit: heh. Aswang.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

je1 healthcare posted:

Most people just rent some other video if the one they want is sold out. Back when Blockbuster had a competent CEO, he pointed out that if the new releases were gone, people walked away with their #2 and #3 choice. So they emphasized buying huge numbers of films on their week of release and gradually selling them off as used copies to clear up shelf space.

Oh we never left Blockbuster empty handed we always got SOMETHING. That principle definitely held true.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
How much somebody likes movies in general is going to be the bigger factor here. I've walked out of rental places with nothing because I'm just not the kind of person who will spend time on a movie I'm not that interested in. Put me in a bookstore, though, and I will absolutely come out with something because my patience with poo poo books is vast.

All this is reminding me that I need to go to the last video rental store in the city sometime soon, since I want it to stick around.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Oh we never left Blockbuster empty handed we always got SOMETHING. That principle definitely held true.

We had a bunch of my siblings' kids over, and we came away with something. And that SOMETHING was the second Michael Bay Transformers movie, I can't remember the title. This was the week of its DVD release, must have been around 2008.

This was the last time I ever went into a Blockbuster.

fake edit: Revenge of the Fallen, 2009

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The town I live in has a video store that's been open since 1982 and has mostly just added to its stock without purging -- it's now sort of an archive, and the proprietor rents out VCRs so people can actually watch the old VHS tapes. It's clearly a labor of love dependent upon that one individual retired rich guy staying alive and interested in it, but I'm glad we have it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
For me, in the brief time Blockbuster existed, the game rentals were the huge thing for me. Before (or instead of) begging my parents to buy some game, I could rent it for the weekend (assuming it was there and not already gone) and try it out first.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

For me, in the brief time Blockbuster existed, the game rentals were the huge thing for me. Before (or instead of) begging my parents to buy some game, I could rent it for the weekend (assuming it was there and not already gone) and try it out first.

This was huge as an N64-haver, since those games were stupid expensive.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This was huge as an N64-haver, since those games were stupid expensive.

And some of them were extremely stupid as well!

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Blockbuster would also rent out game consoles, which for a while was the only way my siblings and I could afford to play a PS2.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Volmarias posted:

And some of them were extremely stupid as well!

I remember seeing Starcraft 64 at the Blockbuster and just shaking my head in wonderment.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The struggle of renting an SNES RPG and hoping that next time someone hadn't erased your save file.

I used a Game Genie to beat FF6 over a weekend before I owned it, that was rad.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Or

No, not if you had a good video store clerk like me who would offer you a good backup replacement AND hold you the movie you wanted for the next night. Two sales, baby! :)

It might be obvious now but the number of people I got to watch Shawshank Redemption when they had never heard of it was incredible. Pretty much 99% of them loved it. Telling them it was a Stephen King story always blew their minds too.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I unloaded a Trinitron by telling the guy helping us move "Dude, if you can get it out of the entertainment center, and then out of the house, it's yours." Nearly put my back out getting it in there in the first place.

Getting one of those up a flight of stairs is the only time moving in/out of anywhere that I was like "holy poo poo this is going to kill someone if we lose our grip."

It was just small enough to be able to tumble down the stairs if let loose. But weighed as much as a huge solid oak dresser or book case that would slip 6 inches then get stuck on something if you dropped it.

When I gave it away on craigslist, I watched in horror as just 2 guys took it back down the stairs. And then watched their tiny vehicle drive away with the back bumper sagging like they had an anvil in the trunk.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The American Dream posted:

I don’t know if this is more about Best Buy or my local mall. But Best Buy is leaving the 6th largest mall in the US in the spring. The store is massive and I’m sure they’re paying an amount in rent that could probably cover the costs of building another store somewhere else in the area.

The only anchors left there will be Macy’s and dicks. Leaving an empty bon ton, jc pennys and I think lord and Taylor’s went out of business.

Hello fellow Specific Upstate City person! I hadn't heard about this, apparently there is still one on Erie (didn't know that even existed) but I'm not at all surprised. Like you said, all the other big anchor stores in the old side of the mall have already left.

Did you see that Dan Bell made a "dead malls" series video about great northern? Had a mournful chuckle sharing that with my brother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

whats weird is, replicating that wandering experience would be really, really easy for The Algorithm. just add an option to revert the algorithm to 2005 specs

Advertising destroys everything.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The "Daily Stormer" site exists and is hosted by VanWaTech, who also host 8chan/kun and Q websites. Here's a graphic that shows the IPs assigned to VanWaTech as of October 2020 and the sites to which they resolve:

VanWaTech is owned by a scumbag named Nick Lim. VanWaTech has lost most of their peering options, as companies understandably don't love to do business with hosts for sites like Vanguard America, lolis[dot]xyz, incels[dot]net, maga[dot]host, 8kun, and QArmy[dot]net. The only provider connecting them now, i believe, is a Russian internet company called DDoS-Guard.

(Fun fact: DDoS-Guard also host Hamas' website.)

Now it looks like they're getting bumped from DDoS-Guard, also:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/01/ddos-guard-to-forfeit-internet-space-occupied-by-parler/

Forgot to mention, the regional internet registry for the Latin American and Carribean regions, LACNIC, intends to revoke 8,192 IPv4 addresses from DDoS-Guard, including Parler.

wankel13b has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Jan 25, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Or

When you were a dumb kid and didn't know any better it was #1 because you had no clue what was out there or what was good and had all the free time in the world to watch lovely movies. Once you moved past that stage and developed your own tastes and interests the video store lost its magic, but some people didn't really get to experience that for very long before rental stores died so they just have the nostalgia from when they were little and not the reality.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This owns so much.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1353730796574695424?s=20

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've been following this. Apparently it's like 2 million people or something crazy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Straight White Shark posted:

When you were a dumb kid and didn't know any better it was #1 because you had no clue what was out there or what was good and had all the free time in the world to watch lovely movies. Once you moved past that stage and developed your own tastes and interests the video store lost its magic, but some people didn't really get to experience that for very long before rental stores died so they just have the nostalgia from when they were little and not the reality.
This absolutely tracks.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This has now killed the investment firm that took the short position.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1353793712204226561?s=19

Pretty solid odds that r/wallstreetbets gets suddenly deleted at this point.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ok, explain this to me.

Short selling means you're betting in the stock to go down instead of up, right? And isn't GameStop an extremely unpopular company?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Ok, explain this to me.

Short selling means you're betting in the stock to go down instead of up, right? And isn't GameStop an extremely unpopular company?

Yea but the subreddit wall street gets saw this and started buying which pumped up the value because stock only cares about if the stock is bought or sold. It doesn’t care why

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ok, explain this to me.

So, what happened here is that the firms that short-sold Gamestop didn't just do it the normal way*. They did a thing called naked shorting, where you take more stock options than actually exist. This is technically illegal, but it makes rich people money so no one actually gives a poo poo. This should have been a safe bet because Gamestop was a cheap stock and was unlikely to go improve in value. Then, Michael Burry, a stocktrader who hates other stocktraders, noticed that this was happening and starting buying up a bunch of Gamestop stock to force the value higher. The subreddit wallstreetbets, a subreddit for people who realize investing is a loving sham, noticed Michael Burry was doing this and starting buying a lot of Gamestop stock to force the price astronomically high. This utterly fucks the short-sellers, because now they have to buy overvalued stock in order to make their contracts.

Nothing about Gamestop's actual business or assets has changed. It is all just stocks moving around.***

Bloomberg has a story about it here.

*Normal short-selling is where you take a contract to provide a buyer with a certain amount of stock for a certain price. The hope is that the stock will go down before your contract runs out, you'll buy the amount of stock you need at a lower price and then sell it to the buyer, making money.**

**If this sounds like gambling that's because it is, high finance is horseshit.

***Because again, high finance is horseshit.

1stGear has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Jan 26, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ok, explain this to me.

tl;dr is that short selling is basically borrowing stock from someone at the current price and promising to buy it back so you can give it back to them at the end of your short sell period. If the stock goes down you gain money, if the stock goes up you lose money.

Shorting GS seemed like a sure bet, but then

CharlestheHammer posted:

the subreddit wall street gets saw this and started buying which pumped up the value because stock only cares about if the stock is bought or sold. It doesn’t care why

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Michael Burry was the guy played by Christian Bale in The Big Short, for added surreality.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The parasite class are also extremely mad about this because it exposes the utter stupidity of the stock market and all the people suckling at its teats.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1353799957548052480?s=20
https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1353803599739047938?s=20

LMAO

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Michael Burry was the guy played by Christian Bale in The Big Short, for added surreality.

Saw Burry's name and legit lolled. So good.

1stGear posted:

The parasite class are also extremely mad about this because it exposes the utter stupidity of the stock market and all the people suckling at its teats.

hahahah comparing it to be a bear raid. What a moron.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Jan 26, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ok, explain this to me.

When you short a stock, you're effectively selling shares that you don't actually own. In order to do this, you're opening a trading contract saying that you will buy shares back later in order to make your position whole again. You want the price to go down so that you can buy them back at a lower price, so it's the opposite of traditional (long) stock trading.

The big risk is that unlike traditional stock buys, there's no cap on your losses: if you buy a stock the worst that can happen is that the price goes to $0 and you lose what you had invested. If you short a stock at $10 and the price goes past $20, it will cost you more to close out the position than your original investment at $10, so you can lose an infinite amount of money if the price keeps going up.

As your losses grow your broker will start getting increasingly impatient for you to prove that you're good for the amount of money that you now owe, and if your short losses start eclipsing the value of your portfolio they will demand that you immediately buy back out of the short position in order to prevent further losses. So you have to go to the market and start buying shares.

Now, the reason that you're in that position in the first place is because the stock price rose a bunch, which means that a lot of other traders who were shorting the stock are in the same boat and there will be a lot of people trying to buy shares to close out their short positions all at once. When a bunch of buy orders suddenly start coming in, it puts upwards pressure on the stock price, which will make everyone who's still short lose even more money and drive even more of them back to buy. This vicious cycle is called a short squeeze.

Typically short squeezes just cause a little bump; Tesla for example is heavily shorted and routinely winds up squeezed to the tune of maybe 10%. But in a case like Gamestop, everyone knows it's a lovely zombie company so there's a not a ton of trading back and forth happening on any given day, so when a bunch of buy orders hit the wall all at once the shares available for sale dry up really quickly. So the price of Gamestop stock has been doubling over and over again in increasingly-brief intervals: from $5 a year ago to $10 a quarter ago to $20 a month ago to $40 a week ago to $80 a day ago, briefly peaking at almost $150 today. And at the start of all this there were more short shares outstanding than actually existed, so everyone who was short at the outset has just been crushed... but then new waves of shorts keep coming in going "hey this is still a zombie company with no future, there's no way this price is sustainable, I should short it so I can make a pile when the bubble bursts", only get to get wiped out by the next leg of the bubble.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Or

:jerkbag:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

1stGear posted:

So, what happened here is that the firms that short-sold Gamestop didn't just do it the normal way*. They did a thing called naked shorting, where you take more stock options than actually exist. This is technically illegal, but it makes rich people money so no one actually gives a poo poo. This should have been a safe bet because Gamestop was a cheap stock and was unlikely to go improve in value. Then, Michael Burry, a stocktrader who hates other stocktraders, noticed that this was happening and starting buying up a bunch of Gamestop stock to force the value higher. The subreddit wallstreetbets, a subreddit for people who realize investing is a loving sham, noticed Michael Burry was doing this and starting buying a lot of Gamestop stock to force the price astronomically high. This utterly fucks the short-sellers, because now they have to buy overvalued stock in order to make their contracts.

Nothing about Gamestop's actual business or assets has changed. It is all just stocks moving around.***

Bloomberg has a story about it here.

*Normal short-selling is where you take a contract to provide a buyer with a certain amount of stock for a certain price. The hope is that the stock will go down before your contract runs out, you'll buy the amount of stock you need at a lower price and then sell it to the buyer, making money.**

**If this sounds like gambling that's because it is, high finance is horseshit.

***Because again, high finance is horseshit.

To add on to this, the reason they can't just wait a while for this to all blow over is that one thing rich people hate more than losing money, is losing money because someone else lost money you gave them.

So, while things are a little different because of the level they play at, if they go through a larger financial for their positions (someone considered 'too big to fail'), that larger financial wants to make sure that they're not on the hook for any of this. That means that at the point where they think you may not have enough assets to cover those shorts, they'll tell you that you have till end of day to fix yourself, or they'll fix you instead, by liquidating everything they can of yours.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Straight White Shark posted:

When you short a stock, you're effectively selling shares that you don't actually own. In order to do this, you're opening a trading contract saying that you will buy shares back later in order to make your position whole again. You want the price to go down so that you can buy them back at a lower price, so it's the opposite of traditional (long) stock trading.

The big risk is that unlike traditional stock buys, there's no cap on your losses: if you buy a stock the worst that can happen is that the price goes to $0 and you lose what you had invested. If you short a stock at $10 and the price goes past $20, it will cost you more to close out the position than your original investment at $10, so you can lose an infinite amount of money if the price keeps going up.

As your losses grow your broker will start getting increasingly impatient for you to prove that you're good for the amount of money that you now owe, and if your short losses start eclipsing the value of your portfolio they will demand that you immediately buy back out of the short position in order to prevent further losses. So you have to go to the market and start buying shares.

Now, the reason that you're in that position in the first place is because the stock price rose a bunch, which means that a lot of other traders who were shorting the stock are in the same boat and there will be a lot of people trying to buy shares to close out their short positions all at once. When a bunch of buy orders suddenly start coming in, it puts upwards pressure on the stock price, which will make everyone who's still short lose even more money and drive even more of them back to buy. This vicious cycle is called a short squeeze.

Typically short squeezes just cause a little bump; Tesla for example is heavily shorted and routinely winds up squeezed to the tune of maybe 10%. But in a case like Gamestop, everyone knows it's a lovely zombie company so there's a not a ton of trading back and forth happening on any given day, so when a bunch of buy orders hit the wall all at once the shares available for sale dry up really quickly. So the price of Gamestop stock has been doubling over and over again in increasingly-brief intervals: from $5 a year ago to $10 a quarter ago to $20 a month ago to $40 a week ago to $80 a day ago, briefly peaking at almost $150 today. And at the start of all this there were more short shares outstanding than actually existed, so everyone who was short at the outset has just been crushed... but then new waves of shorts keep coming in going "hey this is still a zombie company with no future, there's no way this price is sustainable, I should short it so I can make a pile when the bubble bursts", only get to get wiped out by the next leg of the bubble.

So basically, if I shorted 100 shares of GameStop at $10 a share ($1000) and my debt was called in today at $130, I'd end up having to buy back $13,000 worth of stock and take a $12000 hit?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

so what is the plan for the redditors exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is this basically Trading Places but with Gamestop instead of oranges?