Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They'll never have the balls to make a movie where face Godzilla annihilates the ultimate threat to the planet, mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimbot posted:

Godzilla's razing cyberpunk now. Refineries are way too 70 and 80's and cities are too late-90's and 00's.

If they want to mine from GvMG and the refinery fight...I’m a okay with it looking like the 1970s.

Also to truly look like the 1990s and a Godzilla film it needs tons of lovely matte work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Karloff posted:

I don't know, I kind of hope it's not just Mechagodzilla in the suit, at least not for the majority of the film. If all the Kong v Godzilla battles are really Kong v Mechagodzilla until the end when the real Godzilla shows up it will be hard for that to not feel like a cop-out.

After all in the 74 film the fake Godzilla stuff is really cool, but they wisely keep it to about ten minutes until we find out what the deal is. Not sure a bait and switch will work so well if it's for the majority of the film.

I think it will be Mechagodzilla causing city destruction so Monarch or whoever thinks it's actually Big G and they get Kong going after the real Godzilla for a while. then Mechagodzilla goes haywire and activates in the middle of their duel and people realize they've been duped.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it will be Mechagodzilla causing city destruction so Monarch or whoever thinks it's actually Big G and they get Kong going after the real Godzilla for a while. then Mechagodzilla goes haywire and activates in the middle of their duel and people realize they've been duped.

This is my guess too. Trailer looks good! Hope the movie is too :pray:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Thank you for posts and the screen cap. I thought that was a bus...

Trailer looked promising although there's a fine line between dumb fun and bad so I'm still hold onto my nerd rose.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It just dawned upon me in that one shot from the trailer I might get my wish.

https://twitter.com/Kaiju_Sommelier/status/1353446151425409025?s=20

Kong lands the hit with the axe, and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cZsV7T5o2E

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jimbot posted:

Godzilla's razing cyberpunk now.

Oh, like Godzilla never been in a bad game. :rolleyes:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cercueil posted:

Kong lands the hit with the axe, and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cZsV7T5o2E

I love this scene. I also love that the aliens put in enough forethought to put a giant "MG" logo on their Godzilla robot.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I love that they follow up on that and the fixed Mechagodzilla in the next movie has a MG2 on his arm.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh, like Godzilla never been in a bad game. :rolleyes:

I want another Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee and Godzilla: Save the Earth. They were really fun fighting games. They weren't great but I had a lot of fun with them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's not like I wasn't gonna see this but I'll keep expectations low.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

They'll never have the balls to make a movie where face Godzilla annihilates the ultimate threat to the planet, mankind.

shin godzilla sequel could've been this

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/tensame/status/1353401773487054848?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:hmmyes:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Burkion posted:

I fully believe Godzilla is not being controlled what so ever

If you look at the map, all of the areas Godzilla attacks are APEX related.

it seems like, if you read between the lines and ignore what the trailer is trying to SAY what the movie is about, the actual story is that APEX is doing something lovely, Godzilla is working on stopping them, and APEX goes to get Kong to try and save themselves because none of the other kaiju could stand against Godzilla nor would want to.

This is entirely consistent with how Godzilla has been shown to be in Legendary- he won't go out of his way to do harm, but if he thinks something needs to be done, he will do it. Its also why they have to bring Kong TO Godzilla- Godzilla doesn't give a poo poo about Kong. He has no reason to fight him and no reason to kill him.

Kong has every reason in the world to hate Godzilla considering his species were apparently forced onto the island by Godzilla, but Godzilla has no beef with him. The main thrust is going to be getting Kong to recognize this, let go of the past, and ally against a greater threat

Which, I think we all know what that is

"There was a time above, a time before. There were perfect things. Diamond absolutes. But things fall, things on Earth. And what falls is fallen. In the dream, they took me to the light. A beautiful lie."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well why not posted:

Ehhh. Shin Godzilla wasn’t really face or heel. Just an animal that didn’t ask to exist, didn’t understand its existence, and suffered for it. Honest to god it really hit on the themes of the original.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

There appears to be a bit of Ligeti's Requiem from the airport and HALO jump scenes from G14 playing during the buildup of Godzilla attacking the carrier. That's neat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm rewatching Skull Island and it's so good. The cut to the guy eating a sandwich. :discourse:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm rewatching Skull Island and it's so good. The cut to the guy eating a sandwich. :discourse:

Skull Island was a lot of fun, with my only complaint being that Samuel L Jackson’s character turn is really really abrupt and I didn’t like him becoming the quasi-villain.

The bitch please line was pretty hilarious.

https://youtu.be/oXpEQCOsywk

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

American soldiers were not the heroes of the Vietnam War. :ssh:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

well why not posted:

Shin Godzilla sequel should've been a Hedorah movie.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

American soldiers were not the heroes of the Vietnam War. :ssh:

That wasn’t what I meant. They turned him into a Kurtz with little development and honestly no reason to make him the big human bad. Honestly he could have had an arc and/or ending similar to Goodman’s character and it would have been fine.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Burkion posted:

I fully believe Godzilla is not being controlled what so ever

If you look at the map, all of the areas Godzilla attacks are APEX related.

it seems like, if you read between the lines and ignore what the trailer is trying to SAY what the movie is about, the actual story is that APEX is doing something lovely, Godzilla is working on stopping them, and APEX goes to get Kong to try and save themselves because none of the other kaiju could stand against Godzilla nor would want to.

This is entirely consistent with how Godzilla has been shown to be in Legendary- he won't go out of his way to do harm, but if he thinks something needs to be done, he will do it. Its also why they have to bring Kong TO Godzilla- Godzilla doesn't give a poo poo about Kong. He has no reason to fight him and no reason to kill him.

Kong has every reason in the world to hate Godzilla considering his species were apparently forced onto the island by Godzilla, but Godzilla has no beef with him. The main thrust is going to be getting Kong to recognize this, let go of the past, and ally against a greater threat

Which, I think we all know what that is

APEX took Minilla. This will not stand.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

i wish

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

There appears to be a bit of Ligeti's Requiem from the airport and HALO jump scenes from G14 playing during the buildup of Godzilla attacking the carrier. That's neat.

I noticed that too. Was that also the music used in the original Oppenheimer teaser?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Violator posted:

I noticed that too. Was that also the music used in the original Oppenheimer teaser?

Yeah.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Skull Island was a lot of fun, with my only complaint being that Samuel L Jackson’s character turn is really really abrupt and I didn’t like him becoming the quasi-villain.

The bitch please line was pretty hilarious.

https://youtu.be/oXpEQCOsywk

??? His whole thing was he wanted to keep doing a Vietnam.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That wasn’t what I meant. They turned him into a Kurtz with little development and honestly no reason to make him the big human bad. Honestly he could have had an arc and/or ending similar to Goodman’s character and it would have been fine.

Ah. I see what you mean.

I haven't seen Apocalypse Now yet, despite owning the Blu-ray. I think Jackson's character is fine. He's clearly bitter about losing the war and sees Kong as a way to get some sort of victory. Who knows what kind of heinous Ollie North poo poo he would have become had he not died on a monster island.

He does have a counter with John C Riley's character, who upon seeing Kong is humbled and makes peace with his enemy.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

I want to believe

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

The movie's filled with little great moments like that.

I knew I'd love the movie the moment they did a Sam Raimi style zoom push in when Kong showed up before the opening titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IimwiHKOyKE&t=128s

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So in the trailer (sorry if this was discussed already) It looks like kong's axe might be made with a godzilla back spike?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

So in the trailer (sorry if this was discussed already) It looks like kong's axe might be made with a godzilla back spike?

It's the most "to make toys" move but god drat it owns so much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's the most "to make toys" move but god drat it owns so much.

Oh you havent seen the leaked toys yet lmao. That poo poo is toyetic af.

they both apparently have mech suits on.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/eatinginmycar/status/1353491988734226434?s=20

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The commentary for Skull Island is SO GOOD. Vogt-Roberts goes into tons of details and most of the video game references he put in there. He said there's a ton more but wants people to find em.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah. I see what you mean.

I haven't seen Apocalypse Now yet, despite owning the Blu-ray. I think Jackson's character is fine. He's clearly bitter about losing the war and sees Kong as a way to get some sort of victory. Who knows what kind of heinous Ollie North poo poo he would have become had he not died on a monster island.

He does have a counter with John C Riley's character, who upon seeing Kong is humbled and makes peace with his enemy.

I can concur on the John C Riley’s character and I guess I can see that. But Jackson’s character struck me as a person who carried about his people and would have properly just retired or stayed a career soldier after Vietnam, but nothing about him struck me as a guy who was going to do horrible stuff in South America or Iran.

I guess I can also just accept he had a mental break and totally lost it. Which makes him a little more tragic as opposed to a guy who gives a speech about mowing doing civilians for fun. He struck me as bitter, but not unlike many from that era.

But like I said I generally liked the movie.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I was thinking too that Godzilla and Kong will unite. Funny when I asked my young son who would win, he said “Godzilla and King Kong.” Honestly, I think he might just be right. I mean both Kong and Godzilla have been faces and it would be weird to do the heel turn on Godzilla, at least after the first two movies.

Why stop there? The dream team is obviously Godzilla, King Kong, and Mecha Kevin.

Rodan is a punk and joins the bad guys.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

It's not like I wasn't gonna see this but I'll keep expectations low.

Same, best not to get too excited

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Chronojam posted:

The dream team is obviously Godzilla, King Kong, and Mecha Kevin.

Your idea just received an enthusiastic endorsement from my ten year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm looking forward to this film but I can't possibly explain why.