Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, in Batman: Damned #1 there was a scene with Bruce walking naked in the dark and you could kind of barely make out the shadow of a dong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So swears: OK, loving: not OK, Bat-cock: extremely not OK.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Are gruesome murders and decapitations still cool?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I mean, they just ousted Geoff Johns, so that's probably a maybe.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gripweed posted:

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth had her using Superman's head and spinal column as a whip like it's Mortal Kombat, so....

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Uthor posted:

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth had her using Superman's head and spinal column as a whip like it's Mortal Kombat, so....

Is there really an audience for this kind of thing? It just seems completely excessive in a dumb way. I mean, I haven't read it, so maybe there's a really meaningful and entertaining reason she's using Superman's spine and skull as a whip.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Uthor posted:

Comic books were a mistake.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Yes, of course. This is fine for mainline DC.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Isn't this because some senior person who was head of the imprints left? And that's also why Zoom, Kids, and some other imprints got canned?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When's the third issue of Tom Taylor's Hellblazer mini coming out? I got excited because I saw a new cover in my comic shop last week, but it was just a variant for issue 2.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there really an audience for this kind of thing? It just seems completely excessive in a dumb way. I mean, I haven't read it, so maybe there's a really meaningful and entertaining reason she's using Superman's spine and skull as a whip.

I'll admit I'm less susceptible than most, but given people here loved Jason Aaron's Thor, I'd say yes. And don't dare tell me that this is that much more edgelord or 'airbrushed on van' than "Gorr The God Butcher".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'll admit I'm less susceptible than most, but given people here loved Jason Aaron's Thor, I'd say yes. And don't dare tell me that this is that much more edgelord or 'airbrushed on van' than "Gorr The God Butcher".

Ehh, Thor wasn't waving around Superman's spine

All Black the Necrosword wasn't a dead superhero. Gorr butchered gods that weren't beloved characters that have existed for decades.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gripweed posted:

It only occurs to me just now that they got the Mortal Kombat people to make multiple DC videogames and didn't let them do ridiculous gore

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When people haven't read the first couple arcs of a series.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1353477503621287936?s=20

(obviously not talking about Busiek here)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There are, of course, far better reasons to say this, but gently caress Warren Ellis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

There are, of course, far better reasons to say this, but gently caress Warren Ellis.

Thunderbolts was turned into a government black-ops team before Warren Ellis.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there really an audience for this kind of thing?
Iirc it seems related spiritually to that Batman: Last Knight on Earth.

Also, spoilers for WW Dead Earth: the reason he's using the grimdark spinal-whip is that there was a nuclear assault launched and Kal-El hit up Kansas first to make sure his family was safe, then went to try and save Themyscara.

The Amazons get a face full of nuclear hellfire (which later turns them into hideously mutated monsters) and Diana goes loving nuts, beats Superman half to death across the world while unleashing apocalyptic collateral damage, then punches a fist full of kryptonite through his chest.

so now she's atoning for destroying most of civilization.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I bought the poo poo out of it because I love Daniel Warren Johnson's work, but that plot point was excessive to me. The rest of the story fit the post apocalypse storytelling that I like.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FilthyImp posted:

Iirc it seems related spiritually to that Batman: Last Knight on Earth.

Also, spoilers for WW Dead Earth: the reason he's using the grimdark spinal-whip is that there was a nuclear assault launched and Kal-El hit up Kansas first to make sure his family was safe, then went to try and save Themyscara.

The Amazons get a face full of nuclear hellfire (which later turns them into hideously mutated monsters) and Diana goes loving nuts, beats Superman half to death across the world while unleashing apocalyptic collateral damage, then punches a fist full of kryptonite through his chest.

so now she's atoning for destroying most of civilization.

That sounds incredibly stupid.

And still doesn't explain why she's using his spine as a weapon

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I mean, it's indescribable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That sounds incredibly stupid.

And still doesn't explain why she's using his spine as a weapon

I haven't read the book, but I'm guessing because it's still nearly invulnerable so works better than most thing in terms of smashing them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

I bought the poo poo out of it because I love Daniel Warren Johnson's work, but that plot point was excessive to me. The rest of the story fit the post apocalypse storytelling that I like.

I bought it for the same reason. DWJ books are instabuys for me unless he turns out to be a chud or something, and gratuitous storylines aren’t enough to dissuade me. I’m just here to see what he can draw, if the plot hangs together too that’s great, but in a big 2 book I’m not holding my breath.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read the book, but I'm guessing because it's still nearly invulnerable so works better than most thing in terms of smashing them.

Sure but with that back story shouldn't she feel even worse than normal about using Superman's corpse like that?

Plus it's a fantasy story about magic people in the future, the author could make up another weapon or use any one of the many preexisting magical weapons in the world of the DC comics. So I guess the answer to "why?" is just "because the author thought it was badass"

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 25, 2021

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Hey Gripweed, there's a reason people are using spoilers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just reread JLA: The Nail, and overall it's still good though I hate that they took the lazy route(just like in New Frontier) of having most of the mystical heroes sidelined by some inane "humanity must fight it's own battles" bullshit* that you can tell was really only included because the author had no idea how to keep the Spectre or Doctor Fate from solving the crisis in mere minutes, Another Nail handled that much better in comparison

*the scenes are indeed basically written exactly the same too

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anyone got any advice on organizing boxes of comics? I used to keep them alphabetized but I gave up at a certain point, and I want to get them organized again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Roth posted:

Anyone got any advice on organizing boxes of comics? I used to keep them alphabetized but I gave up at a certain point, and I want to get them organized again.

I'd say by company and then either by book or chronologically depending on the composition of your collection

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Roth posted:

I organize mine by what I collect. I keep everything in short boxes because it’s easier to find things and store those on shelving units. You can get about 100 bagged and boarded books into a short box.

I have a few boxes for my X-titles. Uncanny is in one and other x-books are in the other. I really should just arrange these chronologically though because the other x-books I have are mainly parts of crossovers.

I also have a box of Spider-man and a box for other Marvel stuff. These are both alphabetical.

My Superman collection pretty much has to be chronological for any coherent reading order, especially during the triangle years.

I also have boxes for Batman and a few for other DC, and a box for non-Dc and marvel comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guy who reads animes complaining about comics being silly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vincent posted:

Hey Gripweed, there's a reason people are using spoilers.

Whoops sorry

Endless Mike posted:

Guy who reads animes complaining about comics being silly.

Dragon Goes House Hunting doesn't rely on cheap gross out gimmicks like that, it knows that the premise of a dragon trying to find a home that fits his needs and is within his budget is a strong enough to maintain an ongoing series without trying to shock the audience with gore.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Dragon Goes House Hunting doesn't rely on cheap gross out gimmicks like that, it knows that the premise of a dragon trying to find a home that fits his needs and is within his budget is a strong enough to maintain an ongoing series without trying to shock the audience with gore.

I don't know if that's an actual Japanese comic, but I'd d read it.

Until the inevitable tournament arc when it would become obvious that they ran out of ideas but aren't going to move toward any kind of resolution for their central arc. That dragon is never going to find a house or even have enough character growth to realize that there's no such thing as the perfect house.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Random Stranger posted:

Until the inevitable tournament arc when it would become obvious that they ran out of ideas but aren't going to move toward any kind of resolution for their central arc. That dragon is never going to find a house or even have enough character growth to realize that there's no such thing as the perfect house.

I've only read the first three volumes, and I will admit that it doesn't seem like he's gonna find the right place anytime soon. But it does keep moving and changes stuff to keep the story fresh. Like, the dragon finds a Hræsvelgr egg, so that changes his house needs because now he has a kid.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Random Stranger posted:

In the same way that not all comics are Marvel or DC, not all manga is a shonen action series.

And tournament arcs can kick rear end, dang it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Another Legion read-through update: I was kind of apprehensive going into Abnett and Lanning's Legion, but it's been generally good. It's the first time Legion has felt modern, if you get my drift. Every story is HUGE. I've gone from "Earth taken over by the not-borg" to "Legion is lost on the far side of the universe" to "Ra's al Ghul decided to crash the moon into the earth after turning 20% of the population into seeds" to "All consuming robots (who are distinct from the not-Borg) have eaten the earth". The Legion Worlds series was basically laying up all of the big plot points for development, but it did it through some pretty well done personal stories.

It's still bleak as gently caress with lots of "Oooh, that's dark and edgy!" plot elements. I think they're generally earned, though. I did appreciate putting Timber Wolf into baby's day out with an infant that had more super powers than he could deal with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like pre-COVID cons could be disgusting pits of germs and disease, as could cruise ships. So this seems brilliant.

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1354549027996577794?s=20

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SDCCC: Sickness, Disease, Covid, and Comics Cruise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It would seem somehow appropriate to read the headline "Comicon Strain proves resistant to vaccines"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Get some has-been 90s one hit wonder acts to perform and that cruise would be pretty solid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Re reading Ultimate Spiderman from the beginning and I remember thinking how awesome Bagley draws Spiderman but I never realised how he draws the same face for almost every character, especially the female characters in the book. One of the reasons this is standing out for me is because they all kind of have the same face as my friend's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Re reading Ultimate Spiderman from the beginning and I remember thinking how awesome Bagley draws Spiderman but I never realised how he draws the same face for almost every character, especially the female characters in the book. One of the reasons this is standing out for me is because they all kind of have the same face as my friend's wife.

Maybe Bagley dated her in high school.