Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

I can't exactly tell from the trailer, but is it a "look how awful literally every single man is" type movie?
Not really. NOT ALL MEN are depicted as trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

Not really. NOT ALL MEN are depicted as trash.

Most but not all. I thought it was well done, it had some style, Mulligan was good - but it was a bit too on the nose and unsophisticated for me.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Matthew Broderick killing two people seems to be a very well-kept secret. You'd think it would be brought up more often, considering it's literally the only interesting thing about him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Godzilla vs Kong looks way more like Pacific Rim than the previous American Godzillas. And they are barely even trying to hide that it's actually Mechagodzilla vs Kong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO02uW15_WU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

Matthew Broderick killing two people seems to be a very well-kept secret. You'd think it would be brought up more often, considering it's literally the only interesting thing about him.

I feel like it's the first thing anyone mentions whenever he's brought up. But maybe that's because nobody talks about Matthew Broderick except film dorks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gripweed posted:

Godzilla vs Kong looks way more like Pacific Rim than the previous American Godzillas.
I wish it was more like the best option to ape (heh) out of all of those: Kong: Skull Island.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Godzilla vs Kong looks way more like Pacific Rim than the previous American Godzillas. And they are barely even trying to hide that it's actually Mechagodzilla vs Kong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO02uW15_WU

That’s going to be something else. I’m sure. But who knows.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

A giant gorilla punching an atomic lizard in the face is what I need right now and this seems to provide that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Yeah but men really are trash.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If king kong fashioning an axe out of skeleton so he can go all monster hunter isn’t making you at least a little interested then I honestly don’t know what the gently caress it is you want from a giant monster movie

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If king kong fashioning an axe out of skeleton so he can go all monster hunter isn’t making you at least a little interested then I honestly don’t know what the gently caress it is you want from a giant monster movie

All that plus a love triangle with Mothra. :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Maybe this is a fun piece of schlock but the way it looks so self serious combined with the cliched "BWWWWWOOOOOOMMMMM" Hans Zimmer style bullshit in movie trailers we've been subjected to for the last decade and store brand Limp Bizkit really doesn't grab me. Just like Gripweed said there's also some serious Pacific Rim vibes and man oh man did I hate that movie for somehow making "giant robots fighting giant monsters" soooooo boring.

It looks really bad.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

there's also some serious Pacific Rim vibes and man oh man did I hate that movie for somehow making "giant robots fighting giant monsters" soooooo boring.
Del Toro is (possibly was at this point) one of my favorite working visual stylists and 80% of that movie takes place in drab underground bunkers. I was so bummed out by that movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Del Toro is (possibly was at this point) one of my favorite working visual stylists and 80% of that movie takes place in drab underground bunkers. I was so bummed out by that movie.

YES! The first thing I think of when that movie comes up is Charlie Hunnam's wooden acting in a concrete hallway and the shameful way they wasted Idris Elba. The Shape of Water was a decent return to form I think. And they managed not to have a bunch of great actors they did nothing with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was actually thinking about watching pacific rim today lol.

Crank up the volume to hear that badass theme song

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I have to say this looks actually-promising, in that "Godzilla vs. Kong" seems to refer an aesthetic conflict between those two films.

I also appreciate that there's hardly a trace of Godzilla 2 in there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was going to say that I'm an easy mark because you give me giant monsters and I'm there for it, but then I (vaguely) remembered Pacific Rim and how it sapped so much goodwill that I didn't bother with the sequel. Though that also probably had just as much to do with the talent downgrade.

The only thing I'm bummed about that it seems to ignore from KotM is the vast planet-wide destruction caused by the monsters in that film. Hopefully it doubles down on the weirdest lore bits if nothing else.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope they don't chicken out and actually show the fights this time. KoTM has way too many fights where the battle itself is obscured by fog or rain or clouds or the ocean so you don't actually see the fight itself.

Also I'd like to see a stuntman in a rubber suit slam into a highly detailed model building smashing it to bits Which won't happen but a man can dream

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Maybe kaiju movies just aren’t for me but Godzilla 2014 is the only recent one I like. Pacific Rim was okay I guess.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You guys are crazy Pacific Rim kicked rear end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s one of my favorites but it’s not worth arguing about lol. It clicked with me real good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I have to say this looks actually-promising, in that "Godzilla vs. Kong" seems to refer an aesthetic conflict between those two films.

I also appreciate that there's hardly a trace of Godzilla 2 in there.

The main cast from G:KOTM appears to be the only people they brought back from either franchise.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

This

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The first Pacific Rim was good.

Waiting for Transformers Destroy All Monsters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron von Eevl posted:

The main cast from G:KOTM appears to be the only people they brought back from either franchise.

yeah but they're adding the guy from True Blood.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did king Kong grow or did Godzilla shrink? I dont remember them being close to the same size in their most recent movies. Weren't people skydiving past Godzillas legs in the first one?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a throwaway line in Skull Island about how Kong's still growing.

It would have been neat to bring back Brie Larson and Tom Hiddleston's characters from Skull Island in old age makeup.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did king Kong grow or did Godzilla shrink? I dont remember them being close to the same size in their most recent movies. Weren't people skydiving past Godzillas legs in the first one?

In the King Kong movie they mention that he's not fully grown yet.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skull Island takes place in the early 70s and he's at most a teenager and still much larger than any previous Kong.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh. Cool.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Hand Knit posted:

I believe the rattle is quite right with respect to how the argument frequently gets deployed.

I think the people who do use the argument , "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism", in that way would act the same regardless of having encountered that phrase, since it relies on an overly prescriptivist reading. A descriptivist reading opens up the space for taking a step back and examining the actions one might take that may end up unintentionally reinforcing what one opposed. The call is to not fall for the allure of acting, but to theorize.

caligulamprey posted:

At least we got this solid sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzm5EwGgjk

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Yeah but men really are trash.

Not emptyquoting

Gripweed posted:

Also not emptyquoting

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Gripweed posted:

This but I cannot emphasize how much the sequel sucks.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1353409908822208513?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yoohoo posted:

This but I cannot emphasize how much the sequel sucks.

I remember hearing that the cockpit set for the first movie was insanely expensive, so they could only have one, and that's why you never get a good look inside the Chinese Jaeger with the three pilots. And it was also a massive pain in the rear end for the actors. So they decided for the sequel to drop the complex cockpit idea and just have the pilots standing in a room.

I think that was the point when they should have realized that they shouldn't make the movie. If you can't even be bothered to do the cockpit right, give up on your giant robot movie idea.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
It's amazing how we have the technology and artistry to bring these enormous fantasy creatures to life for audiences, but it's horrible how all we do is make them fight each other to the death. Maybe some people want to see Godzilla and King Kong in a kind of My Dinner with Andre scenario?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

It's amazing how we have the technology and artistry to bring these enormous fantasy creatures to life for audiences, but it's horrible how all we do is make them fight each other to the death. Maybe some people want to see Godzilla and King Kong in a kind of My Dinner with Andre scenario?

And then they retire to the bedroom?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

In "The Nightmare Before Christmas," the monsters reign over christmas!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a throwaway line in Skull Island about how Kong's still growing.

It would have been neat to bring back Brie Larson and Tom Hiddleston's characters from Skull Island in old age makeup.

Joe Morton cameos in King of the Monsters playing an older version of that guy with the glasses who was on the other side of the island or most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It's sad really.