Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

babypolis posted:

that tweet is funny but its not longer applicable to our lives, when some people make a living tru the internet, and being cancelled can ruin your real life too

They should have not said the r word then tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I'm still trying to decide if samantonio was bullied way to hard in school or not enough

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Terminal autist posted:

Unless someone is actively targeting mentally disabled people and calling them a retard who loving cares, it's the most sanctimonious wokescold poo poo possible. I want to see all the brave apple polishers in this thread record themselves irl policing peoples language.

Leftist's are so far removed from actual power we've fallen into meaningless cultural war bullshit that just alienates people we need to win on our side to ever achieve power. Becoming the screeching SJW lady from the viral video is not particularly effective praxis imo.

yes real leftism is being an rear end in a top hat to everyone and never respecting other peoples feelings and desires. THIS is how you build the solidarity for a real working class movement folks

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Populon posted:

The point I'm clumsily trying to make is that it's not the end of the world to express negative, derisive, or even insulting ideas or comments to one another on this website where we were making 911 photoshops on 911 as the towers fell. I think it's dumb to try and push our online language to be overly positive as this website has always been kind of trolly and somewhat mean

Again, it's about intent. We know that we come here to post ridiculous stuff. For what reason? Maybe to try to stay sane in an increasingly insane world. Our intent isn't (mostly) to harm others or exert dominance with those posts, I get that. But my posts in this thread are more along the line of a way I have begun approaching life in general lately. And some of the gifs I've made I've actually debated with myself the bullying intent. However, this forum has, to me, seemed like a place that is self-aware of the bullying that comes along with it. It has seemed to me to be ironical posting of put downs. Me posting a gif of Trup freeze framing in an 80's VHS mode with some clever text as a meme is not me posting to put him down. It's me expressing in art the absurdity of the man who wants the world to see his whole rear end. But this goes back to what I said earlier about using humor to defeat bullying. You can't just cut down the bully with humor and walk away. You have to show that person that they are just as equal as everyone else and use it as a learning endeavor. Even the invocation of the the dissolution of his surname as Trup or Tumpf or whatever is an area where you could say one on this forum is bullying the guy. But the way I've always interpreted this board is in the ironical sense, again. Trump has made his life of getting the word Trump into and onto everything. Anagramming his name is artistic resistance to what is a power move by Trump to be the only thing that people talk about every day. The second step is, hypothetically, that he would realize his bullying ways and then we could discuss the whole attempt. But it requires the bully to accept that they have been belittling others first.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Quotey posted:

i imagine you've all killed the cop in your head by this point. well, now you must kill the retard in your head.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lacking the basic level of empathy needed to do something really easy that makes other people feel better? thats praxis baby

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

samantonio posted:

Again, it's about intent. We know that we come here to post ridiculous stuff. For what reason? Maybe to try to stay sane in an increasingly insane world.

my reason is just to hit post

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

babypolis posted:

lacking the basic level of empathy needed to do something really easy that makes other people feel better? thats praxis baby
It would be easy and make me fell better if everyone stopped trying to turn their choice of not using the word retard into a moral victory. Do you have enough empathy to do that?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

my reason is just to hit post

Oh, well then. Brunch?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Populon posted:

It would be easy and make me fell better if everyone stopped trying to turn their choice of not using the word retard into a moral victory. Do you have enough empathy to do that?

you seem pretty confused about the concept of empathy. its ok im sure youll wrap your head around it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

look im not gonna sccold anyone for using the r word, its a fun word, i like it too. but theres also a million words that work just as well and dont make other people feel bad, so i choose to use those words

but all the people pretending its real leftism to use a slur and not care are lol. just admit you dont want to change your habits

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

babypolis posted:

look im not gonna sccold anyone for using the r word, its a fun word, i like it too. but theres also a million words that work just as well and dont make other people feel bad, so i choose to use those words

but all the people pretending its real leftism to use a slur and not care are lol. just admit you dont want to change your habits

This. It's an interesting day on C-SPAM watching leftists argue in favor of demeaning other people for lolz.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

I mean I'm pretty sure I've never used the word on this website except this thread and I'm not really wanting to use the word for any reason. It just feels ridiculous to act like its against the cspam or sa way to demean or belittle or insult

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Let's just all use the word 'big dummy poopoo head doodie brains' instead

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
de_mean

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I don't think anyone is arguing that its praxis to call people retarded. But it is fun to call liberals retarded.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
A good barometer for the acidity of a slur is how likely will this result in physical consequences for me if I use it against the intended group and well...

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Populon posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure I've never used the word on this website except this thread and I'm not really wanting to use the word for any reason. It just feels ridiculous to act like its against the cspam or sa way to demean or belittle or insult

so why dont we call each other the n word, or the f word? even when insulting each other there are words we consider to be beyond the pale

someone in this very thread mentioned why he finds it so personally offensive when people use the r word

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Terminal autist posted:

A good barometer for the acidity of a slur is how likely will this result in physical consequences for me if I use it against the intended group and well...

That is a ridiculous amount of energy and effort you're using in your life to create a situation out of nothing that you then have to measure your words against use of.

Or you could just not put people down. In general.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

babypolis posted:

but all the people pretending its real leftism to use a slur and not care are lol.

no one's saying that dumb dumb.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Retards win

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

eh who cares

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Scenario:

Hm, there's a dude over there. What level of lovely should I make him feel. Well, I'm an intellectual leftist, so I should probably make him feel the lowest level of lovely.

"Hey. Dude. You're a terrible person."

Yeah, that's how us leftists put down others. There was very little harm done. He'll feel better tomorrow.

Alternative Scenario:

"Hey. Dude. Cool hat."

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

My man I think you might be retarded. Baby, that is. Sam's "be zen while the gears grind you to paste" bit is good.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Baby I saw that quote you picked to try and defend your weird strawman and no ninja edit will remove it. Learn to read.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

babypolis posted:

so why dont we call each other the n word, or the f word? even when insulting each other there are words we consider to be beyond the pale

someone in this very thread mentioned why he finds it so personally offensive when people use the r word

Lots of people do.I don't propose we start doing it here as we have a pretty consistent feel as far as what is and is not cool to say around here currently. I'm not even proposing that we bring back "retard". I'm more talking about

samantonio posted:

Again, it's about intent. We know that we come here to post ridiculous stuff. For what reason? Maybe to try to stay sane in an increasingly insane world. Our intent isn't (mostly) to harm others or exert dominance with those posts, I get that. But my posts in this thread are more along the line of a way I have begun approaching life in general lately. And some of the gifs I've made I've actually debated with myself the bullying intent. However, this forum has, to me, seemed like a place that is self-aware of the bullying that comes along with it. It has seemed to me to be ironical posting of put downs. Me posting a gif of Trup freeze framing in an 80's VHS mode with some clever text as a meme is not me posting to put him down. It's me expressing in art the absurdity of the man who wants the world to see his whole rear end. But this goes back to what I said earlier about using humor to defeat bullying. You can't just cut down the bully with humor and walk away. You have to show that person that they are just as equal as everyone else and use it as a learning endeavor. Even the invocation of the the dissolution of his surname as Trup or Tumpf or whatever is an area where you could say one on this forum is bullying the guy. But the way I've always interpreted this board is in the ironical sense, again. Trump has made his life of getting the word Trump into and onto everything. Anagramming his name is artistic resistance to what is a power move by Trump to be the only thing that people talk about every day. The second step is, hypothetically, that he would realize his bullying ways and then we could discuss the whole attempt. But it requires the bully to accept that they have been belittling others first.

Sometimes I want to post rudely about politics. I don't want to cut down the bully and teach him anything. Yeah, I just want to be an rear end in a top hat I guess but I don't think we're building leftism on cspam so why can't we just be consensual assholes to each other? You don't have to if you don't want to

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

babypolis posted:

that tweet is funny but its not longer applicable to our lives, when some people make a living tru the internet, and being cancelled can ruin your real life too. or like kids having their entire social lives be online, specially right now

In those cases it is even more important to remember that things such as reading books or going for a walk exist.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
read the following sentence out loud

i am sofa king. we todd did.

heheheh

hehehehehehehe

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Dolphin posted:

read the following sentence out loud

i am sofa king. we todd did.

heheheh

hehehehehehehe

is this your praxis? why aren't you organizing?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

babypolis posted:

the n word has been posted multiple times in this thread in a humorous-tweet-reference context so Im not really sure what youre getting at here. people dont need slurs to be bullies or bigots. for example someone could say something like shut the gently caress up you degenerate freak and it would be far more offensive than saying op is retarded lol. at a certain point you have to ask people be cognizant of the tone, context and meaning behind their speech, but simply banning a list of bad words does little to remedy the sentiment behind hateful intent.

fwiw I dont really say slurs irl or in my posts (French joke itt aside) but I hate how these discussions turn into a reductionistic binary between virtuous, good correct language sayers and bad, ignorant, bullies who love saying slurs

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

R

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

E

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Populon posted:

Lots of people do.I don't propose we start doing it here as we have a pretty consistent feel as far as what is and is not cool to say around here currently. I'm not even proposing that we bring back "retard". I'm more talking about

Sometimes I want to post rudely about politics. I don't want to cut down the bully and teach him anything. Yeah, I just want to be an rear end in a top hat I guess but I don't think we're building leftism on cspam so why can't we just be consensual assholes to each other? You don't have to if you don't want to

No I agree with your premise. On this board for the most part we post ironically assholish things. But the intent is to just troll for trolling sake and lol for the lolz. That's embedded, ingrained, inherent, whatever. But you know when someone crosses the line into the territory of bullying in an attempt to minimize someone for power reasons. It feels wrong. If people one the forum say that using the word retard is offensive to them, what does it cost you to not use it? Nothing. That's where I'm at.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

T

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

TheSlutPit posted:

the n word has been posted multiple times in this thread in a humorous-tweet-reference context so Im not really sure what youre getting at here. people dont need slurs to be bullies or bigots. for example someone could say something like shut the gently caress up you degenerate freak and it would be far more offensive than saying op is retarded lol. at a certain point you have to ask people be cognizant of the tone, context and meaning behind their speech, but simply banning a list of bad words does little to remedy the sentiment behind hateful intent.

fwiw I dont really say slurs irl or in my posts (French joke itt aside) but I hate how these discussions turn into a reductionistic binary between virtuous, good correct language sayers and bad, ignorant, bullies who love saying slurs
I would posit that I'm not asking for words to be banned as that would, as you said, not remedy the sentiment behind the hateful intent. I'm asking others why they're not actively trying to be better than hatefully intented people.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
It's a great word. Easiest way to really get under the skin of people I hate (I am incredibly lazy) and my favorite 80's movies use it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

samantonio posted:

I reject the framing you're using. I'm simply saying, why say something that hurts a person? Why not be bigger than that?

If someone is offended by a thing I do, I'll make an effort to not do it, especially around them.

If I'm around a christian friend and make a god joke and they tell me I am offending them, I'll stop. It literally costs me nothing to not be a dick. I'll just adjust and be better for it.

If I'm around a muslim friend and they greet me with with "as salaam alaikum" I'm not going to retort with "salami ham and bacon, my brother" because it would offend them. Again, it costs me nothing to be the bigger person and not slur against them.

I don't mind learning new ways to act that make me a more educated and accepting person.

I'm seriously guilty of still slipping the word "retard" into my dialog because I have a long history of being a bigotted racist misogynist from my younger days when I was raised in an Ayn Randian Fox News household where we were just supposed to "get over it" or "grow a sense of humor" if someone was offended by something. I've done a lot of growing since those days but some of the worst clingers-on in my bad-speech is "retard", "retarded", and "bitch". I try to phase them out or correct them if I slip.

"Retard" didn't even enter my conscience until I gained a friend who was called retard when he was younger because he has tourettes, and he has kids with asperger's and autism. It offended him greatly to hear people call others retarded. And it dawned on me that it costs me nothing to not use it, but it costs him emotionally to hear it used.

Why not try to be better people?
Agreed. It is kinda amusing watching people try to logic up a reason as to why they should keep saying it though

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It's in the first 4 minutes of The Pest.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 236 days!

CODChimera posted:

Agreed. It is kinda amusing watching people try to logic up a reason as to why they should keep saying it though

it reminds me of andrew sullivan studiously pondering the inclusiveness and validity of channers referring to themselves as "-f*gs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
seriously I have tried every insult against chuds and calling them retards gives the biggest dividends