Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gary the Llama posted:

Huh. I saw the movie two weeks ago and enjoyed it but don’t really remember the last shot? I would love to see Aubrey Plaza do more horror though.
It was her glancing up and looking at the audience. I just found it really striking. I think there's something vouyeristic about the movie that made it really jarring for me.

I would like to see Plaza in a proper really cerebral horror film which Black Bear and Ingrid Goes West inch towards. Life After Beth is pretty fun, but I don't think she worked in Child's Play. The Little Hours isn't horror but it's got witches and is pretty fun!

I would really, really love to see her in a Jordan Peele movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gary the Llama posted:

Huh. I saw the movie two weeks ago and enjoyed it but don’t really remember the last shot? I would love to see Aubrey Plaza do more horror though.

I know this is CineD not TVIV, but have you watched Legion. She's straight up horror in that, and it rules.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Miguel Prado posted:

Anybody get the chance to see psycho goreman yet?

Watched it last night and loved it. It's hilarious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching Prince of Darkness, which I haven’t seen in a very long time (20+ years). The atmosphere is great in this. So oppressive and foreboding.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I haven't seen Black Bear but it's hard to imagine anything topping those last couple minutes of Hunter Hunter anytime soon.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I haven't seen Black Bear but it's hard to imagine anything topping those last couple minutes of Hunter Hunter anytime soon.

I really need to see that before it gets spoiled. Maybe tonight after I watch Promising Young Woman.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Maybe it was a different movie, but I think the trailer for this just made me think of The Bye Bye Man.
Yeah, the trailer did a fairly bad job at selling the movie for what it was and more tried to lean into the aspect of "You gotta do this ritual and it'll summon this spooks-min". I assume it was trying to lean into the teen market with jump scares and teens suffering through a supernatural boogeyman, but it had a more interesting plot than that and was pretty good cult/cosmic horror.

And speaking of cosmic horror, watched Synchronic recently and it was enjoyable, and had some inklings of cosmic horror but it felt a bit weaker and more schmaltzy compared to The Endless or Resolution.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

dorium posted:

I Saw the Devil is still a good time. Haven’t seen it since it came out. What a strange movie.

Follow it up with Killers (2014), I think it's still on shudder

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
watched Blood Beat earlier today, that was good wtf fun

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Alice, Sweet Alice was great. Felt like an American giallo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gary the Llama posted:

I really need to see that before it gets spoiled. Maybe tonight after I watch Promising Young Woman.

I think the movie is really disjointed but the individual parts are good to great. That ending is all anyone will remember though, goddamn.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Miguel Prado posted:

Anybody get the chance to see psycho goreman yet?

Not my favorite film of the year so far (maybe not even my favorite one that's horror), but it's definitely the one that's made me smile hardest. What an absolute delight that thing is for drat near all of its hundred minutes

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Alice, Sweet Alice was great. Felt like an American giallo.

I watched that for the first time the other night too. I also caught the giallo vibes. You can also feel the Don’t Look Now influence.

I’ve actually been going through a list of lesser known 70s horror that got posted on Bloody Disgusting, which included Alice Sweet Alice. The only one I had seen on the list was Blood on Satan’s Claw (which owns), so in the last week I’ve also watched The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (loving dope) and Messiah of Evil (like a 70s Carnival of Souls). Just gotta watch Deathdream now

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Benito Cereno posted:

I watched that for the first time the other night too. I also caught the giallo vibes. You can also feel the Don’t Look Now influence.

I’ve actually been going through a list of lesser known 70s horror that got posted on Bloody Disgusting, which included Alice Sweet Alice. The only one I had seen on the list was Blood on Satan’s Claw (which owns), so in the last week I’ve also watched The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (loving dope) and Messiah of Evil (like a 70s Carnival of Souls). Just gotta watch Deathdream now

I haven't seen Blood on Satan's Claw. I just looked it up and it sounds amazing. It's also on the They Shoot Zombies list (which I'm very biased towards), and it's on Shudder. I've been trying to pick a movie to watch tonight after the Chief's game and this might be it.

Also, yes Messiah of Evil and The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (aka Let Sleeping Corpse Lie) are both great.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Blood on Satan’s Claw is considered one of the “big 3” of folk horror together with Wicker Man and Witchfinder General. I personally love it, but I would advise people to check out a list of content warnings for it if you’re sensitive to sexual violence and abuse

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blood on Satan's Claw and Wirchfinder General are both pretty rough in that regard.

The Wicker Man being comparatively tame might be part of the reason it's also the best known of the three.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Witchfinder General being considered folk horror doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Witchfinder General being considered folk horror doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's about witches.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It doesn't quite fit since there is nothing actually supernatural and folk lore just barely comes into play but the setting and mood is pretty folk horror.

Also I think it's because Blood on Satan's Claw was partly greenlit because it could capitalize off the popularity of Wirchfinder General.

So even if Wirchfinder General isn't as folk horror as the other three but it was the first.

Also folk horror was never an organized movement or anything. The name folk horror wasn't even coined until 2005 when the director of Blood on Satan's Claw said that he'd been trying to make a "folk horror" film in an interview with Fangoria.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Benito Cereno posted:

Just gotta watch Deathdream now

Deathdream is great. Never thought I’d identify so much with a rotting vampiric corpse.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Servoret posted:

Never thought I’d identify so much with a rotting vampiric corpse.

yeah, I also voted for Biden

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Anything that's set in the 17th century New England as a setting is folk horror furthermore...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Folk horror for me means the performance of european pagan religious rituals is the source of the horror. So obviously Wicker Man or Midsommar or Kill List.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Personally I wouldn't limit it to European folk religions and lore which is why something like Kwaidan or Onibaba is folk horror to me.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

married but discreet posted:

Folk horror for me means the performance of european pagan religious rituals is the source of the horror. So obviously Wicker Man or Midsommar or Kill List.

Serious question: is A Dark Song considered folk horror due to the presence of rituals? I kind of agree with this definition of folk horror, although the implication of rituals rather than their explicit representation should be included too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Folk horror is just horror with folk in it so if it has actors its folk horror

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Whats the best Yolk Horror?

Gremlins and Alien are p good

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the best coke horror is def American Psycho

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Kvlt! posted:

the best coke horror is def American Psycho

Let's not get too hasty and forget the master of coke horror:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

when youre right youre right, you got me there lmao

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Kvlt! posted:

Folk horror is just horror with folk in it so if it has actors its folk horror

Well then my favorite folk horror is The Thing.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
In my estimation the key to folk horror is tension between the “civilized” usually Christian world and the ancient pagan world, with an isolated setting being a key element as well. Blair Witch is folk horror by this interpretation, as is A Dark Song, yeah. The Wailing, too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gently caress horror

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was ready to be like "Psycho Goreman is just ok" and then the musical number holy poo poo this movie is perfect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Its my favorite movie right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Happy 95th birthday to Ted White: stuntman working into his 80s, member of the John Carpenter More Than One Film Club, and the oldest Jason Voorhees.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CelticPredator posted:

Whats the best Yolk Horror?

Gremlins and Alien are p good

Ghostbusters

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm really behind in the thread so someone may have linked this already, but the Nevermore virtual film festival page just went live. It's a 20+ year old horror festival that always has a mix of shorts and features, including international stuff. Some of the more recent movies I've seen at this festival include The Love Witch, 13 Cameras, Grand Piano, Blood Vessel, Scare Package, and H0us3. I'm a little curious about whether they got fewer submissions this year because of the virtual format, but most of the locals I know are excited that they were able to organize an event at all because the theater that runs this festival is a nonprofit that's planning to stay closed until at least July.

If I'm reading the list right, it looks like they'll be streaming 11 features and a ton of shorts that are all packaged together in 8 different hour-and-a-half long blocks. You can buy individual tickets or an $80 pass for the whole thing, and it's available to stream between Feb 26 and Mar 4 in most states within a reasonable driving distance of the NC theater that hosts it. (The full list of states is NC, SC, VA, WV, TN, KY, OH, GA, DC, and PA.)

More info here: https://nevermore.eventive.org/welcome

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

Bye Bye Man always reminds me of The Tall Man with Jessica Biel, which is waaaay better than what would at first sight appear to be a dollar store Slenderman cash-in.

Still the best Slenderman movie that isn't like, a fan project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Its my favorite movie right now.

The sheer amount of practical effects and creature design work for a film this size is wild. I know that's Kostanski's bread and butter but he didn't leave anything on the table here. Just a remarkable achievement.