Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Does anybody have some tips that can help me wear out this very active hound dog? She never slows down all day long, from the time she gets up int he morning until the time she goes to bed at night she's either demanding walks, or trying to goad me into playtime, or whatever else. She'll take MAYBE a short nap in the middle of the day, but other than that it's very tiring. It's only been a week but I'm already exhausted.

Next month I can afford to get some more toys and maybe some puzzle toys or something else that could keep her entertained, but it seems like really she just needs to get some really good exercise so that she burns off some of this endless energy she seems to have.

The problem is I live in a small apartment so there isn't room to run around inside, I have no backyard, she's no good off leash so when we do go out I can't just throw a frisbee in a park or anything. She's anxious around strangers and other dogs, and it's just too gosh darn cold outside to take extended walks around the local parks.

She's sweet as hell and loves me but man, I need some way to calm her down so she isn't so hyper all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Training will mentally exhaust her, which is just as good as physically exhausting but doesn't rely on draining her functionally limitless stamina. Teach her every trick you can find.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

She's very food motivated and when I have chicken in hand I have her undivided attention, but other than sit I haven't been able to get her to associate much. I've been trying for 'down' and 'stay' but both of those kinda slip off so far.

That sounds like a good idea though, I will try harder.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Try nosework games. Sniffing things wears them out more than running amok will in most cases and when they get good enough to search your whole apartment they're moving around and exercising themselves as well.

I learned "real" nosework where my dogs search for a specific scent through FDSA. If you get a scholarship, which is very easy to do, it only costs $35 but you can also just use the sample lecture and whatever scent/container you have to get started for free.

You can also just do treat or toy searching games
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/indoor-scent-games-for-dogs/

https://suzanneclothier.com/pdfs/Scent%20Games.pdf

https://www.puppyleaks.com/teach-your-dog-search/

If she likes tug you can use a flirt pole in your home to wear her out physically too. Easy enough to make at home from stuff you might have around.
https://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/04/24/flirt-pole/

Be sure you are working on noticing and rewarding calm behavior in the house. It's not sustainable to just exercise your dog into a coma every day, you need to teach them to chill the gently caress out sometimes. Look up the protocol for relaxation or the really real relaxation protocol for things you can work on to teach your dog that being still is an option.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That sounds good too. I'm basically out of funds for the month but we're almost at the end of the so I can buy some toys and games and stuff soon.

How can I reward her for being calm? Do I just give her treats when she lies down for a nap?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Use kibble to train

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Use kibble to train
So much this.

I used to think you needed specific treats for training, but for most dogs you don't. They are motivated by getting an edible reward, and it really doesn't matter much what it is. Even if you use training treats, they're usually about 3-5 times as large as you actually need them to be. I always break or cut them up into tiny pieces, but lately I've just been using regular bits of food for "normal" training.

Then you keep something special as the "nuclear option" -- either for training something really difficult, or for getting their attention in an emergency. I've used turkey jerky before, which is like crack for most dogs I've met.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah that makes sense. I'll keep using chicken for outside since I"m competing with barking at strangers/dogs and other high intensity things, but I might be able to get away with kibble teaching her to wait.

Speaking of she is doing so good with wait today, I had her sit on one side of the room and got 5-6 steps backwards, then came all the way forward to give her the treat, without her moving a muscle from her sit. What a good pooch.

Also I should mention when I say chicken I do mean like, extremely small pieces of chicken, like smaller than a pea, though that will add up over the course of a day.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Agent355 posted:

How can I reward her for being calm? Do I just give her treats when she lies down for a nap?

If she doesn't get wildly excited about treats you can quietly give her something boring like kibble whenever she is choosing to be on a bed or laying down. I wouldn't wake her up to do so and if she gets amped for food you can just tell her she's a good girl in a soothing, calm way instead.

Here's a good video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr1olzgidMw

If she doesn't offer laying down on a bed or in her crate ever then you need to build some value for it first. "Go to your place" and "go to your crate" are one of the first things I teach new dogs.

Here's some "go to your mat" videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2c5EkytNU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yne2oR0lUCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRM0LeSBjxA

Crate training:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRs5cWOWfiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQwQY332xhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4nTwVSmpV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4K_lNLw83k

Edit: another one on calmness, guess why I have so many videos on calmness in my youtube history :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaojPmzris0

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 25, 2021

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah I'm working on the crate, she's VERY wary of it. She's a hunting dog rescue with bad social skills so I'm imaginging she grew up in a kennel basically alone. I'm just dumping high quality treats in it and putting them deeper and deeper in, encouraging her to feel comfortable sticking her head in. Today she got her front paws in to eat the treats and went back in and peeked in later without prompting, but slow progress on that.

I love on her all the time when she's calm, she loves to wrassle and takes any cuddling as rassling invitation, but I'll try to do it without winding her up and also use kibble which she'll take but isn't too enthusiastic about. Thanks for the advice and links, I'm making my way through them.

E: to be clear too, I've had her less than a week and made good progress in a number of things, other things I"m struggling with but overall she's doing very well and is a sweet heart.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Agent355 posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I'll keep using chicken for outside since I"m competing with barking at strangers/dogs and other high intensity things, but I might be able to get away with kibble teaching her to wait.
Yeah, outdoors is tough, my dog turns into a demon from hell with seemingly no ability to see or hear me when we get out of my yard. Sometimes he won't respond to his favorite treat even if I hold it directly in front of his face.

quote:

Speaking of she is doing so good with wait today, I had her sit on one side of the room and got 5-6 steps backwards, then came all the way forward to give her the treat, without her moving a muscle from her sit. What a good pooch.
Good job! Sounds like she's picking things up fast.

We're working on this one right now too -- he generally won't do it unless we have a treat, but he's really good about staying when we've shown we have a cookie for him. Tonight my wife was telling him to stay, walking behind the sofa, ducking down where he couldn't see her, then coming back up, and he stayed the whole time. Smart doggo.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've been working on stay all week during walks, since she likes to pull and I don't want to worry about her running into an intersection ahead of me, so every time I cross a street I make her wait and we don't keep going until she does. Last couple days I've had chicken with me to boot and she caught on SUPER fast, especially when there were treats on the line. Extremely proud of the little cutie.

You folks have good recommendations for chew toys? I know tons of them are dangerous but she loves to chew on stuff. I bought a Kong and froze some peanutbutter/kibble in it and she had a blast but lost interest once the food was gone, I was hoping she'd enjoy chewing on it some but no luck. I have a rope tug she LOVES to chew but given how quickly that thing started to come apart I put it away when we aren't playing tug games.

I think she'd love to have a nice toy she can just chew nonstop without me having to worry TOO much about eating rawhide or rubber or w/e. I don't know if she's an ultra tough destructive chewer yet, or if she's just normal puppy chewer.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I hate teaching stay. Someone come teach my puppy stay for me and I'll keep teaching her to walk backwards up the stairs.

For chews bully sticks are always popular, I stick them in a west paws qwizl so they last a little longer. Ordering from someplace like chewy or bestbullysticks will get you thicker, longer-lasting bully sticks than what you'll find at a petstore unless you really go digging in those bins. Beef or buffalo cheek rolls are supposed to be a good rawhide alternative. My dogs are crazy for sheep or buffalo horns. Some like antlers, beef butcher bones and those himilayan chews but I'm paranoid about dental fractures so I don't give anything that hard. My older dog got a slab fracture on a beef bone after years of being fine with them and it was a huge, expensive pain in the rear end. I've heard some people like benebones as an alternative to nylabones?

I keep a whole stash of stuffable toys in my freezer basically all the time. I have 2 nylabone hooves, 2 kong tires, 4 kongs of different sizes, 2 toppls of different sizes, and a turkey shaped kong alternative from barkbox. It's very handy to be able to just grab something from the freezer and throw it at whichever dog is annoying me at the time. I fill them with whatever is cheap that week; applesauce, plain non-fat yogurt, clearance wet dog food, salmon cream cheese, peanut butter, frozen meatballs, weird ground meats people have given me as part of trades (this may only be an option if you live in the country), spray cheez, etc. My dogs are all dumpsters and maintain weight well so I'm not that concerned but you can soak their regular kibble ration and stuff it as well, or some low calorie broth thickened with gelatin if you are concerned about tummy issues or weight gain.

My freezer any given day

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh you filled yours up way more than mine, those are positively bursting. I guess I was too cheap with the peanut butter.

Ellie can't seem to reach the back of the toy though and there is always a bit of peanut butter left when she gets bored, that I assume she just couldn't get to. Wish there was an easier way to clean out the excess before re-filling and freezing.

When I do my big pet-toy order in a couple weeks I think I'll pick up another one and maybe some other fill toys like you have and do the same thing. Just gotta figure out how many calories I'm giving her in one of those and take it out of the mealtimes. She's a bit thin right now and still growing so I'm feeding her a good amount, but still, no fatties.

E: also wow bestbullysticks is pretty cheap, 20-pack of 12" sticks for only 18 bucks? And a discount if I just set up an auto-reorder? Dang, I could easily afford to give her a stick every other day then, combine it with some sort of rubber holder that will prevent her from eating them down to stubs and then trying to swallow the stub whole, and I could get a good hour and a half of peace of mind whenever I liked.

These things are like 8 bux a pop or something in the pet store, I thought 4 bux each on amazon was a good deal. This owns.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 25, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Peanut butter I don't go too crazy with because it can be really fatty and my dogs don't like a big brick of peanut butter as much. You can mix it with non-fat plain yogurt if she likes peanut butter a lot though. Mine are fans of just yogurt. That particular batch was mostly fancy wet dog food I got on clearance and some apple sauce I needed to use up. Usually I'll put something better in the bottom to keep them occupied to the very end. A cube of cheese, some bits of chicken or a frozen meatball works well for this. If I'm filling a smaller kong that can't fit a meatball I'll spear a frozen stick of string cheese through it.

When you have a 9 month old ACD puppy you get creative with ways to keep them busy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Agent355 posted:

E: also wow bestbullysticks is pretty cheap, 20-pack of 12" sticks for only 18 bucks? And a discount if I just set up an auto-reorder? Dang, I could easily afford to give her a stick every other day then, combine it with some sort of rubber holder that will prevent her from eating them down to stubs and then trying to swallow the stub whole, and I could get a good hour and a half of peace of mind whenever I liked.

These things are like 8 bux a pop or something in the pet store, I thought 4 bux each on amazon was a good deal. This owns.

Wait wait wait tell me more about this, if you go for it I want a testimonial so I can be talked into treating Apollo.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I already ordered with a repeating order, so I'll let you know when they show up. These are the 'normal' ones but the picture makes them look about the same as the ones I pick up from the pet store for 5+ bux a pop. The thick ones are much more expensive, more in line with the prices I see in stores, so I'm not sure if the 'normal' ones are actually going to be thinner than the ones I'm expecting? I'll know when they get here.

Even if they only last 30 minutes instead of 90 that's a steal for less than a buck a pop.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

My partner and myself have an appointment to meet a 3 year old pit bull mix on Tuesday to possibly adopt as a support animal to help with my PTSD. I also often babysit for my sister's one year old son and my family has a small old shih-tzu mix. The shelter says he has lived with children and other dogs so it shouldn't be a problem to eventually meet them, but I guess cultural conditioning has made me very mildly hesitant on trusting bully breeds, despite knowing they can be just as gentle/aggressive as any other breed. Is there anything I should really press to know health and temperment-wise before adopting? This will be my first time being a dog owner as an adult, not just my first time adopting. Apologies if there's a better thread for this, I've never posted in PI.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ball Tazeman posted:

My partner and myself have an appointment to meet a 3 year old pit bull mix on Tuesday to possibly adopt as a support animal to help with my PTSD. I also often babysit for my sister's one year old son and my family has a small old shih-tzu mix. The shelter says he has lived with children and other dogs so it shouldn't be a problem to eventually meet them, but I guess cultural conditioning has made me very mildly hesitant on trusting bully breeds, despite knowing they can be just as gentle/aggressive as any other breed. Is there anything I should really press to know health and temperment-wise before adopting? This will be my first time being a dog owner as an adult, not just my first time adopting. Apologies if there's a better thread for this, I've never posted in PI.

From a quick google, it looks like pitties can be banned in cities/states so make sure you have no laws preventing you from having one.

My advice from here is to read the OP of this thread and the OP of The now defunct dog training thread.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ball Tazeman posted:

You’re right to be hesitant! Pits and the other bully breeds are terriers and it does them a disservice to pretend that genetics play no part in their behavior. They are absolutely more likely to show dog aggression and high prey drive than other breeds. I would plan on making introductions carefully and never leaving the two dogs together unsupervised. Frankly that’s a good idea for any dogs with a large size difference. I wouldn’t plan on a pit mix being a dog to take to the dog park or daycare regularly.

Most pits are very good with people but when they get mixed that’s harder to rely on. Again, a dog should never be around a baby unsupervised anyway but just be careful about introductions and read up on safe dog-child interactions.

Pit/mixes seem to be prone to acl tears and getting fat and lumpy as they age. Many tend towards skin allergies too ime. Keep them lean, active and on a food that agrees with them and they’re usually pretty healthy.

Do be aware of the restrictions on pits in many places and with a number of insurance agencies. They’re getting struck down more and more but it can still be a problem for people.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dog had a small poop yesterday thet was formed but loose, but just woke me up again at 2 am to have more diarrhea.

She’s got an obstruction/constipation.

If she doesn’t have a big poop on her morning walk, there goes my bank account.

Does anyone have any experience treating constipation in a puppy? I'm guessing this place is going to want an xray, even though her abdomen doesn't feel distended. Will they send her home with lactulose? or will they keep her and do an enema?

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 25, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FizFashizzle posted:

Dog had a small poop yesterday thet was formed but loose, but just woke me up again at 2 am to have more diarrhea.

Does anyone have any experience treating constipation in a puppy? I'm guessing this place is going to want an xray, even though her abdomen doesn't feel distended. Will they send her home with lactulose? or will they keep her and do an enema?

In my experience diarrhea is the opposite of constipation. I usually give my dog "the bland diet" which is rice and some white chicken with basically nothing else for a day or so until her system starts acting normal again if she has chain diarreah (it happened in February, I think I gave her something with garlic the set her off by mistake). However, I haven't had an actual puppy in a long time so that may not be an appropriate recommendation. I've also had vets tell me that pepto bismol is alright for dogs (I am not a vet so I wouldn't presume to pass that on as official information, so ask your vet). Dogs don't want to drink it so the tablet or chewable kind is usually what I give, broken up into tiny bits in cheese like a you're giving them any other pill. Again, I'm not a vet, so while a vet told me this years ago it may not be normal or recommended, especially for a puppy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Diarrhea is when the dog's guts are rushing food through as fast as possible, obstruction/constipation are when things get stuck. IIRC diarrhea can have lots of causes, like viruses, diet (generally, eating something that your body doesn't recognize as food), irritated bowels, etc. Constipation is usually more caused by insufficient dietary fiber, inadequate hydration, lack of exercise, or opiates.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

FizFashizzle posted:

If she had diarrhea at 2am, I'm not sure why you think she has constipation/obstruction.

Everything is uncomfortable and inflamed, so she feels like she still needs to go, even though there's probably nothing left in the tank right now. So you may see her straining with nothing coming out, but that doesn't mean there's a blockage.

I still think with this many tummy problems it's worth at least calling the vet, even if you can't do a visit. Just tell the receptionist what's up and ask if the vet can give you a call back. If they've seen the dog recently, most vets are willing to do a quick phone consult without charging.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My pup had a normal poop today so we're going to do the bland diet another day or so and start adding some kibble back in. Hopefully its not his kibble! I'd consider just making his own food if he has a sensitive tummy.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

One of the things I'm working on when I go on walks with Ellie is that she loves to pull.

She understands 'wait' and 'come' and does well at listening to those so she isn't leading me on the walks, we're going wherever I want to go and she'll follow.

However she definitely wants to move ahead of me sniffing out where we're going and if she catches something interesting she'll start to really pull on her harness to go after it. I'm trying to discourage this but I'm not sure if I'm doing it effectively.

Currently whenever she really pulls I'll say 'no' and just stop moving and let her pull all she wants but won't go any further in that direction. If she stops pulling and sits there I'll give just a bit of slack in the line and if she doesn't immediately try and surge forward I'll give her the 'okay' and we keep going in the same direction. If she's keeping the leash taught but not really pulling much I'll let it slide though, I also praise her when she's keeping pace with me in a more relaxed manner, at my side or sniffing to the left/right with plenty of slack in the leash.

Is this a good way to handle it? Any further modifications I could make?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Leash training is a really time consuming and frustrating process so you sometimes need to mix and match techniques. It sounds like your buddy has a low frustration threshold so you're going to want to lay some groundwork so he understands why you have suddenly started stopping and going during walks. I would start with teaching him what you want him to do when there is pressure on the leash in a small, uninteresting place. Sometimes this is called the "silky leash" method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lavrLV1rKu8

I would also work really hard on making being near you pay really well. Create a zone with a huge history of reinforcement right where you want him to walk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVzXqQAmJug

I also like to spend some time clicking/treating for the speed I want a dog to be walking on leash. My dogs have just understood that easier than clicking for where in proximity to me I want them to be.

Quoting myself with loose leash walking advice. It sounds like you're on the right path, it just takes a long time to train.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m getting a Shiba Inu soon (12 weeks old) and I’m wondering what kind of treats are good for training like in these videos?

I don’t want to over feed him, but I obviously need something I can give him a lot of while training.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m getting a Shiba Inu soon (12 weeks old) and I’m wondering what kind of treats are good for training like in these videos?

I don’t want to over feed him, but I obviously need something I can give him a lot of while training.

Use kibble. Meal time is training time.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Measure out how much kibble he needs a day and use that for training. I'll use other brands of kibble for training as well to mix things up, the honest kitchen clusters are nice because they don't get your hands all greasy like a lot of other kibbles. I'll use tiny cat kibbles in my treat and train/manners minder even.

When you needed higher value treats remember that they can be really tiny. Break commercial treats like zuke's minis into little bits or use teeny pieces of cheese or chicken. I usually aim for a treat half the size of my pinky nail.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Puppy blog: drove to the park today for some long walks instead of doing short walks up and down the street. The park is close enough to walk to but Ellie is scared of busier streets so I figured driving would be less stressful for her (she's also not a fan of driving tho).

Between the walk being longer and also her spending more of it relaxed (she loves the park and doesn't feel as anxious there) it was far more effective at wearing her out and today has been very calm and pleasant. We went on two long walks and now she's playing by herself. I'll do a short walk up and down the street after dinner to help her get more accustomed to strangers, dogs, and cars.

We do occasionally see other dogs in the park too and it works really well for training her not to bark because I can more easily control the distance between us in the large wooded area. I even got her to sit and wag her tail at a passing dog without growling or barking at all and the dog went by only 10-15ft away.

Great progress today which feels real good.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Perfect!

Only thing I’m really worried about is him barking. I’m in an apartment and I don’t want him to be barking up a storm and annoying my neighbors. I know shibas are relatively quiet, but I won’t know for a while how he handles it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I’m getting a Shiba Inu soon (12 weeks old)

We meet lots of shibas here (Tokyo) and apparently you really need to be on top of it to socialize them properly. Even in Tokyo where there's always other dogs out the majority of shibas we meet are pretty reactive.

Good luck, they seem to be very cool little dogs.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Perfect!

Only thing I’m really worried about is him barking. I’m in an apartment and I don’t want him to be barking up a storm and annoying my neighbors. I know shibas are relatively quiet, but I won’t know for a while how he handles it.

lol shibas don' really bark it's true but they are NOT quiet when they have feelings they need to express
Be prepared for your neighbors to think your apartment needs an exorcism

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Stringent posted:

We meet lots of shibas here (Tokyo) and apparently you really need to be on top of it to socialize them properly. Even in Tokyo where there's always other dogs out the majority of shibas we meet are pretty reactive.

Good luck, they seem to be very cool little dogs.

Lol yeah, I remember talking about this with you and the Goons in the Line chat when I was an ALT in Japan. That’s where I met my first Shiba and decided I wanted one. Didn’t you have (still have?) Corgis?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lol yeah, I remember talking about this with you and the Goons in the Line chat when I was an ALT in Japan. That’s where I met my first Shiba and decided I wanted one. Didn’t you have (still have?) Corgis?

Yeah I've got a ten month old corgi. Well socialized shibas are awesome, probably her favorite dogs to play with at the dog run.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

There's a goon heavily involved in shiba rescue that doesn't post here anymore but if you ever need sheeb help let me know and I can see about putting you in contact with them or getting resources from them. They're very unique dogs! Prims aren't for me but I've enjoyed the ones I've met and stories about them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Puppy met 4 other dogs on a walk this morning and made great friends with all of them. She seems to be learning that barking doesn't get new friends to come closer and that if she's quiet I can ask if we can go say hello to any dogs.

This has been extremely encouraging, she's so cute when she tries to play with other dogs. I get nervous because of the combination of her extremely high energy playing, tendence to playbite me, and just in general being a bit of an anxious pooch, but it's going well so far.

For future reference what are some good rules if we were going to go to a dog park? I've never been to one before so I'm not sure what actions I should take to prepare her to be a good dog in one, or whatever.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Plan on her being on leash the first few visits. Stay near the door and when she exhibits any interactions you don't want, move her out of the play area and have her wait to come back in. Same if there's dogs egging her on (like say, trying to get her to play rougher than you want). You want her to associate negative behavior with not getting to play.

It's probably a good idea to take her to the dog park a few times before actually taking her in to the park as well. Start off by walking her by it at a distance she noticed the dogs, reward her good behavior. Eventually take her to the gate/edge to see dogs through the fence. Work up to actually taking her inside.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This is Emery

And this is Kolt

They had a litter of 10 on January 5th, with 7 boys and 3 girls. One of the girls is coming home with me on March 6th

I could not be more excited and also need to get a furminator and a robo-vac