Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm now remembering that Disco hosed up the klingons so much that there have been no appearances or references to them in the live action series since Disco S2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Post your fave RLM comments

Something something Jay's cummies

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

If the Packers can come back here maybe we’ll get more TNG discussion episodes! :dance:

90 seconds away from Rich laughing his rear end off and Mike drinking himself into oblivion.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lister posted:

I'm now remembering that Disco hosed up the klingons so much that there have been no appearances or references to them in the live action series since Disco S2

You have to appreciate the choice of completely redesigning them in a way that doesn't match anything else ever used in the franchise, purely for a one off gimmick in the first season with a single character

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

infernal machines posted:

You have to appreciate the choice of completely redesigning them in a way that doesn't match anything else ever used in the franchise, purely for a one off gimmick in the first season with a single character

“Put a fuckton of prosthetic makeup on them and give them lengthy dialogue scenes in a foreign language.”

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can you guys rank Coens brother on a funny scale? I kind of want to rewatch Arizona and catch up on a few less known Coens I missed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
it really speaks to the talent of the coens that they could make a movie on the on-its-face-stupid premise of "film noir stoner comedy" and make one of the best films of all time

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I promise you that Michael dorn could write a better star trek show in his sleep than kurtzman or jj

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

The sequence at Jackie Treehorn’s house is some of the finest physical comedy too, Goldblum was amazing in it.

... what?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I really like Crimewave, it's like a live action cartoon. While not technically a Coen Bros movie, they did write it, Sam Raimi directed, it's worth a watch.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Oh gently caress it’s another Mandela Effect

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it really speaks to the talent of the coens that they could make a movie on the on-its-face-stupid premise of "film noir stoner comedy" and make one of the best films of all time

And especially considering the two main characters are thinly-veiled caricatures/tributes of "one of the Seattle Seven" and "the guy who wrote the screenplay for Dirty Harry and Apocalypse Now".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tip posted:

That last Godzilla movie was pretty good, lots and lots of monster fights with just enough human story to hold it together. Plus you get a Charles Dance villain.

Is the original King Kong vs Godzilla worth watching? I love the incredibly off putting and poorly done King Kong design.

If you enjoy the suit, you will enjoy the movie. It is very goofy.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

intolerable cruelty is pretty weak imho, i was actually surprised it was a coen bros movie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

mallratcal posted:

I really like Crimewave, it's like a live action cartoon. While not technically a Coen Bros movie, they did write it, Sam Raimi directed, it's worth a watch.

I’ve never been able to track that one down, I’ve only ever seen Crime Wave, the oddball Canadian film from the same year.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

If you enjoy the suit, you will enjoy the movie. It is very goofy.

it's one of my favorite movies we had on vhs as a child. lots of fun

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Crescent Wrench posted:

gently caress! Thanks...

yah gangtags are just part of your avatar. so if you get a new av you need to make sure you manually add the gang tag IMG codes.

you can PM an admin for a fix or a mod of a subforum you post in. it's faster if you can give them the IMG codes...

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

General Dog posted:

I’ve never been able to track that one down, I’ve only ever seen Crime Wave, the oddball Canadian film from the same year.

Shout Factory but a Blu-ray out a while ago, so it should be easier to come by now.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Poor Mike.

https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/1353485423503421440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mike is a Chicagoan, why does he root for the Packers? Why is this the one case where he’s chosen a fandom that generally results in less misery?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sally posted:

yah gangtags are just part of your avatar. so if you get a new av you need to make sure you manually add the gang tag IMG codes.

you can PM an admin for a fix or a mod of a subforum you post in. it's faster if you can give them the IMG codes...

Makes sense. Thanks everyone for educating a dum-dum like me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mike was warned to not count out touchdown tom

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

General Dog posted:

Mike is a Chicagoan, why does he root for the Packers? Why is this the one case where he’s chosen a fandom that generally results in less misery?

He's a traitor to his kind and I delight in his misery.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

gently caress, Bridges :doh: I was picturing him and messed up my Jeffs

Funniest Coen bros movies:

Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, o Brother, Hail Ceasar, Burn after Reading altho most of their films have elements of dark humour at the very least

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Corridor Crew tries to out-deepfake the lovely deepfake Disney used for Luke at the end of The Mandalorian. Vid is timestapped to the moneyshot, but the whole thing is an interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861gfPVmgdc&t=1044s

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Corridor Crew tries to out-deepfake the lovely deepfake Disney used for Luke at the end of The Mandalorian. Vid is timestapped to the moneyshot, but the whole thing is an interesting watch.

Their version doesn’t look as stiff, but it also doesn’t look as much like Mark Hamill. The model’s face shape is too different, especially around the jaw.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

the "improved" version went straight into the Tarkin uncanny valley for me

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well at least this version I could tell its Luke. When I watched that episode I didn't read any spoiler beforehand. I thought for about 20 seconds that person was a character from the EU like Luke's son or whatever. The Disney version looked so greasy. I am also not a SW nerd so I don't memorize what color of lightsaber represent which character.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Space Kablooey posted:

the "improved" version went straight into the Tarkin uncanny valley for me

Yeah, but I guess I'd take that over Disneys "guy wearing cardboard Luke mask" results.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Good lord that is so much worse. That would be bad for a video game cutscene.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Very interesting video, but the final result is worse. Luke shows more emotion, but at a huge cost to the overall quality/believability. I think Disney probably did the best they could with current technology.

It’s crazy how much work has to go into these digital recreations and just begs the question even more of why they didn’t just recast Luke?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because people are dumb and would have said "why is the guy with the robot arm from the Marvel movies here?" if they cast Sebastian Stan as young Luke.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

colonelwest posted:

... begs the question even more of why they didn’t just recast Luke?

They should, they've already got a strong look-alike candidate in Sebastian Stan. I also thought that Tom Payne, for Prodigal Son and Walking Dead, also has a strong look-alike potential for Skywalker as well.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Sebastian Stan would have been the right choice, plus he's under a Marvel contract already, probably real easy to get him to do a couple of minutes on a TV Show.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because people are dumb and would have said "why is the guy with the robot arm from the Marvel movies here?" if they cast Sebastian Stan as young Luke.

Because they needed someone who knew how to play a guy with a robot arm.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Bottom line is they recast Han and it didn't work. They're never going to try recasting an iconic role again unless it's behind a suit or a ton of makeup.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Lister posted:

Bottom line is they recast Han and it didn't work. They're never going to try recasting an iconic role again unless it's behind a suit or a ton of makeup.

Also casting someone in that role would be giving them huge amount of negotiating power for any upcoming properties. Well I guess I'm the next Luke Skywalker $100 million please. It is betting a lot on a television cameo.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Dmitri-9 posted:

Also casting someone in that role would be giving them huge amount of negotiating power for any upcoming properties. Well I guess I'm the next Luke Skywalker $100 million please. It is betting a lot on a television cameo.

This line of thinking is one of the reasons Disney SW are worse than Marvel movies. Marvel usually spend the money and get the most bankable faces.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Galewolf posted:

Baka gaijins ruining my nuclear T-rex moopies :argh:

I mean the last one had them using a nuclear warhead in a positive way so yeah Americans don’t understand Godzilla

Edit: is there any way to get the Japanese version of King Kong vs Godzilla besides in the (amazing) Criterion set? I just wanna be able to recommend it if the situation ever comes up without saying “you have to spend 100 bucks to see it though”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If CGI Luke is bad and recasting Luke is also bad, they can solve this conundrum by... not putting Luke there in the first place.

Heck you could put in Ezra and have him and Grogu tie back with the Ashoka/thrawn plot in the Ashoka series.

Or just make up another Jedi that works too