Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I tried to pick only one person from every promotion to make it slightly more interesting to do: although I bent that rule once because I had to include two people from Marvelous. Also this will be a very long post I fear.

1. Utami Hayashishita (22, Stardom): She's been my favourite wrestler literally since the day she debuted; and honestly I'm not entirely sure why: sometimes you just see a wrestler and you think "they are the best". She was pushed immediately as the Super Rookie going to the 5 Star final in her first year (equivalent to the G1 final) and handled that push well from the start. In the last year she's finally reached the top of the pile: winning the 5 Star GP (after wrestling two matches on one night: a really good 20 minute draw against Syuri before beating Himeka in an enjoyable final); beating company ace Mayu Iwatani to win the World of Stardom championship before defending it successfully against faction leader Momo Watanabe. She's likely going to be main eventing the Budokan in two months and that's insanely cool and its great to have been along for the entire ride.

2. Mio Momono (22, Marvelous): I started to get into Marvelous when she was injured but I knew she was special going back to watch her older matches: but since she returned she has been incredibly good. The first wrestler to debut from Chigusa Nagayo's Marvelous promotion (debuting at 17 at a show in New York City which is unique for a Joshi wrestler); she very quickly became the heart of Marvelous - Takumi Iroha was the clear ace but it felt like Mio was everyones favourite wrestler: if that makes sense. She was out for the best part of two years with knee and shoulder injuries (with a three week return in late 2019 starting with this excellent match against Takumi which was one of the best matches of 2019 and I recommend you seek it out) yet when she returned it was like she'd never gone away which isn't that common. Takumi got hurt at a Marvelous show in late October and that has thrust Mio into the spot of having to carry the company until she returns: and its a position she's performing very well.

3. Suzu Suzuki (18, Ice Ribbon): Suzu's career trajectory is very similar to Utami's in a lot of ways but yet it feels totally different. She was another of those Joshi rookies who was not only very good when they debuted but you could tell the promotion knew that she was special - how many wrestlers win their debut match clean, conclusively with a German suplex? After a rookie year in 2019 where she was always featured prominently but also not strongly pushed: 2020 in Ice Ribbon was all about getting Suzu over as the next ace of the company - a spot that seems impossible for someone that's still a teenager but yet other than one incident where she lost the ICExInfinity title belt on a train between shows (they are still using an older belt) she's managed to make it work which is a credit to both her and the promotion. She beat former ace Tsukasa Fujimoto in a really good match: won the big belt from Maya Yukihi in what was my 2020 Match of the Year last August and went on to have a title reign where every match delivered to a very high level. She still stands out from your usual company ace: while in matches she's assured and confident after matches are over you see that she's still exciting and emotional about not only being in wrestling but being the top star and that makes her all the more likeable.

4. Meiko Satomura (41, Sendai Girls): I don't care that she's WWE aligned and that if NXT Japan happens she's likely to be a major part of that: I don't care that she didn't really do a whole lot last year; Meiko rules and is one of the best wrestlers of all time. I don't know what else I can say about her that hasn't been said to death a million times before: her match with Akira Hokuto from 2000 is on YouTube: I recommend watching it since it rules so much and in 2019 she was still going out and having top-tier singles matches - and it feels like only the pandemic stopped one from happening in 2020.

5. Yoshiko (27, SEAdLINNNG): I think to say that Yoshiko is controversial is to undersell it slightly: the Act Yasukawa incident from 2015 will follow her around for her whole career. However from what we know everyone appears to have forgiven each other (at least publicly); she seems to be nothing like that now and from what we know now about the Stardom backstage environment of that period I don't really feel comfortable putting all of the blame on that one on someone who was still very young and in a very, very toxic environment. As a wrestler since then she's been very good and is one of my favourite people to watch: last year I thought that she was the best bell-to-bell wrestler full stop and especially in tag matches there are very few others who have a resume that's as deep as hers in the last five years.

6. Hikaru Sato (40, Hard Hit): I don't fully know why Hikaru Sato is my favourite male wrestler: others have better matches but like something about him grabs me. Hard Hit is a really fun promotion to watch the two times a year in airs somewhere and I think that's a big factor: I also respect the fact that he's a massive weirdo - if you only watch All Japan shows you might only know him as the dude that looks like some super serious person but, well, in his MMA career he'd walk to the cage dressed as a cat girl maid and his character in YMZ is basically that he's very strange; to put it mildly. Really good technical wrestler as well: which he shows even in comedy matches which I also like as well. Plus it also adds Hard Hit to the list of promotions on the list which I think is a good thing!

7. Asuka (22, the Japanese freelance Asuka, not the WWE one: Again; another of these young Joshi wrestlers who is insanely good: Asuka could be the most athletic Joshi wrestler full stop. She's also one of the most prominent openly trans wrestlers in the world: and one thing that is really cool is that it feels like a large chunk of your independent Joshi promotions have no issue using her in prominent positions. Marvelous had a match on their December 2019 Korakuen where she teamed up with Nyla Rose against Takumi Iroha and Syuri and I think that's really cool - I might be wrong but I think that's the most prominent match where two openly trans women have teamed with each other. She's a highlight of every SEAdLINNNG show and I hope at some point her and Makoto get a tag title run; and everywhere she shows up you know you are going to get something great. I also really respect her for working that Gatoh Move match against Mei Suruga the day after Hana Kimura's death: she was very close to Hana and no one would have objected to her pulling out but when Emi checked up on her to say that she didn't need to work apparently she refused to pull out. That day was weird and very, very sad but that hour was just very nice: it felt like a big group of people coming together to find some light in a very dark day and I really appreciated her doing something she absolutely did not need to do on that day.

8. Mikoto Shindo (19, Marvelous): I wasn't quite sure whether I wanted Shindo or Takumi in this spot but Takumi got some votes already so lets add someone else to the list. Shindo is my favourite of the three second-generation Marvelous wrestlers and again I don't really know why: she just connected with me slightly more than Mei Hoshizuki or Maria. As a rookie she had this magical ability to make you buy near-falls against more more experienced wrestlers who you knew she'd never beat and that's really impressive. It feels like COVID might have interrupted her momentum slightly (Marvelous ran a lot of roster-only shows until right at the end of 2020 and when you have eight signed, active wrestlers that makes booking long-term stories very hard) but I think she's going again now. She had a really fun Regina di WAVE Title match with Sakura Hirota on New Years Day that built from all of the exchanges they had throughout the year before: including a frankly incredible exchange in a Marvelous vs WAVE 5v5 Ironman Tag match where Shindo pinned Hirota five times in a minute with her springboard sunset flip that ruled. Someone who I'm really excited to watch in the future.

9. Sakura Hirota (42, WAVE): There's this misconception that comedy wrestlers do comedy because they can't wrestle: Hirota is proof that your best comedy wrestlers are the ones that can also go and have some really good matches with more minimal elements. I'll be honest: I didn't really get her until early last year because my Hirota experiences before was her in Sendai Girls which usually is not good but outside of there she's very fun. She certainly has her patterned comedy match that often can be not very interesting if its against a not very interesting opponent but at her best she's really good. She also does a lot of unique stuff: the biggest being the match she had against Antonio Honda where she brought her kids to the ring because she couldn't find a babysitter and then demanded that the match be wrestled very quietly so they didn't scare the kids which was actually very good. The real highlight with Hirota though is that when she's in a serious big match a lot of the comedy stuff gets dropped and its serious: and in those moments you can buy into this early 40s single mother that mostly does these comedy matches being a credible wrestler. Last December she defeated Nagisa Nozaki to win her first major singles title and there was this great moment where her kids are in the ring and its a big group celebration and it rules.

10. Riho (23, AEW): I've watched a load of Riho's matches from past years over the last few months and its given me a greater appreciation for just how good she is as a wrestler: and its a massive, massive shame that she's not working Stardom anymore. She's the main reason why I tuned into AEW in those first few months: the Emi Sakura singles match felt genuinely special because of the story of those two and it being in this big massive arena: the total opposite of where the two had wrestled for most prior years. I just watched the 2010 Korakuen Hall main event title match between the two and I'd recommend seeking it out: its not an all-time classic but Riho was 12 at the time so that's hardly a reasonable explanation and I've seen a lot worse between very good wrestlers who, well, aren't 12. The best women's wrestler in AEW and someone who its always great to see show up for a show: I hope that she still does some stuff in Japan between times when AEW is her focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

IceAgeComing posted:

10. Riho (23, AEW): I've watched a load of Riho's matches from past years over the last few months and its given me a greater appreciation for just how good she is as a wrestler: and its a massive, massive shame that she's not working Stardom anymore. She's the main reason why I tuned into AEW in those first few months: the Emi Sakura singles match felt genuinely special because of the story of those two and it being in this big massive arena: the total opposite of where the two had wrestled for most prior years. I just watched the 2010 Korakuen Hall main event title match between the two and I'd recommend seeking it out: its not an all-time classic but Riho was 12 at the time so that's hardly a reasonable explanation and I've seen a lot worse between very good wrestlers who, well, aren't 12. The best women's wrestler in AEW and someone who its always great to see show up for a show: I hope that she still does some stuff in Japan between times when AEW is her focus.

I only watched about 15 Stardom shows before the end of last year, mainly the tag tournament (which may explain why I feel this way), but I was really disappointed with how Stardom used her. She was the female MVP of AEW in 2019.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Punch McLightning posted:

I only watched about 15 Stardom shows before the end of last year, mainly the tag tournament (which may explain why I feel this way), but I was really disappointed with how Stardom used her. She was the female MVP of AEW in 2019.

Word is AEW refused to let her be pinned so they couldn't do much with her or put her into any major programs.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Punch McLightning posted:

What is annoying is that it felt like they were actually building up something at the end of her run: you had the story with Utami trying to recruit her to Queens Quest with Tall Saya not being very happy with the idea of this: could have lead to something interesting plus I think that Riho in that spot would have been very interesting. The "AEW not letting her lose" thing is something that I joked about throughout last year (she worked for 18 months in Stardom; never lost a fall) and the fact that they apparently were very protective is both annoying as someone who likes her in Stardom but probably a good sign for her future in AEW.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There are two days left to get in your submissions, so please do!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One last plea for any further submissions to come in, there is a day left to get in if you haven't yet.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
1 jon moxley
2 hangman page
3 keith lee
4 asuka
5 orange cassidy
6 rey fenix
7 eddie kingston
8 rhea ripley
9 timothy thatcher
10 sasha banks

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
  1. Saya Iida (STARDOM)
    The arc of the Little Gorilla from getting endorsed by Kagetsu on her retirement show through expanding and honing her offense throughout the year to capturing the Future of Stardom title at the end was my favorite development to follow in 2020.
  2. Eddie Kingston (AEW)
    Finally got a real big break and made the most of it. Watching and listening to him has been a delight.
  3. Minoru Suzuki (NJPW)
    I fell off the NJPW train hard after Summer Struggle, but that means I did so right after MiSu's Nagata matches and the Shingo match, so it ended on a high note. I love the grumpy old sadist.
  4. Mayu Iwatani (STARDOM)
    STARDOM was the only promotion I consistently followed in 2020 and Mayu doing her thing and being a great champion with great matches was a big part of that.
  5. Mizuki (TJPW)
    I didn't watch a whole lot of TJPW in 2020, but in what I watched, Mizuki won me over in a big way. Typing this, I'm mad again she didn't beat Yuka for the belt. :argh:
  6. Starlight Kid (STARDOM)
    After seemingly being stuck at a "good, not great" level and not using her debut in the 5STAR GP to break out like AZM did in 2019, the 6 woman tag match at New Landscape made me go "That's the best Starlight Kid I've ever seen!" Since then she's been not exactly on a tear, but backing up that performance.
  7. Momo Watanabe (STARDOM)
    Momo's 2020 was rather low-key as she wasn't a focus of STARDOM's booking, but she's still one of my faves and one of the best wrestlers in the world. Don't @ me.
  8. Hikari Noa (TJPW)
    Like Mizuki, she made me a fan of hers and her potential in what I saw of TJPW in 2020. Nothing more, nothing less.
  9. Saki Kashima (STARDOM)
    Kashima always had a mean streak that didn't quite fit into STARS and I was excited when she turned on them in January. The turn didn't turn her into a much better worker and she's stuck with STARDOM's booking of Oedo Tai, but to me it's all about the sheer glee with which she embraces her dark side which has been very entertaining to me.
  10. Super Sasandango Machine (DDT)
    I also didn't watch a lot of DDT in 2020, but whenever Dango was involved, I was having fun. Since I wanted to get at least someone from DDT on my list, he gets my nod.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's roughly 4.5 hours left to get in any last minute submissions, please do!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks to all who put in lists, entries are closed now and I'll try to have results up by the end of the weekend, all going well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:suspense:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

looking forward to taichi making the top 10

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Artelier posted:

looking forward to taichi making the top 10

:hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's time to see who Punchsport Pagoda's consensus favorite wrestlers for the year 2020 were. This year we had 186 individual wrestlers picked by 65 goons, a drop from 2019's thread where we had 202 wrestlers picked by 114 goons. As a result of the drop in both amount of wrestlers (small) and number of goons picking (fairly large), this year there were a number of ties in points totals. As a result, there are 43 ranked positions this year compared to 2019's 63.

Yuki Ueno - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
WALTER - 2019 Position: #30 (-13 places drop)
Tay Conti - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Super Sasadango Machine - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Stark Adder - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Risa Sera - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Marko Stunt - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Leyla Hirsch - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Leva Bates - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Kzy - 2019 Position: #55 (+12 places improvement)
Karl Anderson - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
The Hoodfoot - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Goldberg - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Frankie Kazarian - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Dustin Rhodes - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
AZM - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank

Our bottom position this year is Rank 43, and it is largely filled with new entries. 2019's thread was specifically placed to finish just before the debut of AEW Dynamite, and as such it is no big surprise to see a number of AEW wrestlers (young and old) making their appearance for the first time. In addition to AEW come wrestlers from DDT, FCF, Ice Ribbon, Independent wrestling, Impact, NXT UK and STARDOM. The sole WWE pick in this category was part-timer Bill Goldberg. None of these wrestlers were anybody's TOP wrestler, but they all did enough in the year to warrant at least a single vote in somebody's top 10.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Will Ospreay - 2019 Position: #9 (-33 places drop!)
Timothy Thatcher - 2019 Position: #59 (+17 places improvement)
Takumi Iroha - 2019 Position: #51 (+9 places improvement)
Taiji Ishimori - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Tadasuke - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Sareee - 2019 Position: #56 (+14 places improvement)
Saki Kashima - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Peter Avalon - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Otis - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Matthew Justice - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Lee Moriarty - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Konosuke Takeshita - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Emi Sakura - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Chie Koishikawa - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Cara Noir - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Alex Shelley - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank

Another slew of newcomers, with representatives from AEW of course, but also Diana, DDT, Gatoh Move, Impact, New Japan, NOAH, STARDOM, WWE and the Independents. The big story of this category though is Will Ospreay's enormous plunge down the rankings. A Top 10 finish in 2019 with 222 points, he barely made the list at all this year with only a single person voting for him.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Yeah! Go Otis

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yukio Sakaguchi - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Yoshinari Ogawa - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Viktor Tykki - 2019 Position: #61 (+20 places improvement)
Tony Deppen - 2019 Position: #61 (+20 places improvement)
Rohit Raju - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Rhea Ripley - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Mikoto Shindo - 2019 Position: #55 (+14 places improvement)
Mike Bailey - 2019 Position: #48 (+7 places improvement)
Lance Archer - 2019 Position: #56 (+15 places improvement)
Hikari Noa - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Hideki Suzuki - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Finn Balor - 2019 Position: #57 (+16 places improvement)
Dax Harwood - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Charlotte Flair - 2019 Position: #62 (+21 places improvement)
Baliyan Akki - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank

Representatives from AEW, DDT, FCF, Gatoh Move, Impact, Marvelous, NOAH, NXT, Tokyo Joshi Pro and the Independents. Dax Harwood makes his first appearance, in 2019 he was Scott Dawson but his time in The Revival failed to put him into any Top 10 lists, obviously moving to AEW worked out well for him in the very least that it made people on some Internet Forum somewhere happy, which is really the most important thing. Technically speaking, Finn Balor's move from the main roster back to NXT seemed to work out okay for him too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toshiyuki Sakuda - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Kenoh - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Kaori Yoneyama - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Josh Alexander - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Jordan Oliver - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Don Fujii - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Black Taurus - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Becky Lynch - 2019 Position: #37 (-3 places drop)

This big story of #40 is that it is almost entirely new entrants from 2019, and includes our first AAA representative. The only returning member of the list is Becky "The Man" Lynch, who went from #37 in 2019 to #40 in this year. A bit of a slip, true, but considering how reduced her presence was in 2020 and how everything from that early part of the year feels like a million years ago, it's actually pretty remarkable she ranked at all.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 25, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Susumu Yokosuka - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Starlight Kid - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Kento Miyahara - 2019 Position: #42 (+3 places improvement)
Hikaru Sato - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Dragon Kid - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Daisuke Sekimoto - 2019 Position: #40 (+1 place improvement)
Chris Sabin - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Chris Jericho - 2019 Position: #4 (-35 places decline!)
Brian Cage - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Brandon Cutler - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Atticus Cogar - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Aron Stevens - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank

Another batch of newcomers make the list, with representatives from AEW, All Japan, Big Japan, Dragon Gate, IMPACT, NWA, STARDOM and the Independents. But the BIG story, gigantic really, is the enormous drop in the rankings of Chris Jericho, surpassing even the drop of Will Ospreay. Ranked Punchsport Pagoda's 4th Favorite Active Wrestler in 2019, he only barely escapes being in the 40s in 2020. Jericho didn't exactly cover himself in glory in 2020 with some of the incredibly stupid things he said or did, and it seems it was more than enough to take away from the fact he's still involved in a lot of fun and entertaining stuff in AEW.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Chris Jericho on the same level as :aronrex:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

Chris Jericho on the same level as :aronrex:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takashi Sugiura - 2019 Position: #58 (+20 places improvement)
Stu Grayson - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Neil Diamond Cutter - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Momo Watanabe - 2019 Position: #55 (+17 places improvement)
Matt Sydal - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Kyle O'Reilly - 2019 Position: #55 (+17 places improvement)
Jungle Boy - 2019 Position: #48 (+10 places improvement)
Jordynne Grace - 2019 Position: #61 (+23 places improvement)
BxB Hulk - 2019 Position: #56 (+18 places improvement)

A mixture of new places and returning wrestlers from 2019 come in at 38, with representatives from AEW, Dragon Gate, IMPACT, NOAH, NXT, STARDOM and the Independents. Perhaps the most notable entry is AEW's Stu Grayson, a founding member of the Dark Order stable which had a decidedly mixed reaction in 2019 but was utterly beloved by the end of 2020.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sonya Deville - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Shun Skywalker - 2019 Position: #57 (+20 places improvement)
Shotzi Blackheart - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Rickey Shane Page - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Rich Swann - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Meiko Satomura - 2019 Position: #48 (+11 places improvement)
Masashi Takeda - 2019 Position: #36 (-1 place drop)
Konami - 2019 Position: #61 (+24 places improvement)
Jungle Kyona - 2019 Position: #44 (+7 places improvement)
El Hijo del Vikingo - 2019 Position: #63 (+26 places improvement)
Darby Allin - 2019 Position: #32 (-5 places drop)
Ben-K - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank

Another mix of newcomers and returning wrestlers from 2019, with representatives from AAA, AEW, Big Japan, Dragon Gate, IMPACT, NXT, Sendai Girls, STARDOM, WWE, and the Independents. Perhaps themost interesting part of this list is the positioning of Darby Allin. He ranked at #32 in 2019, and the conventional wisdom at the time was that he was on his way to being a big star and was sure to rank far higher in 2020. That certainly did NOT come to pass, and it will be interesting to see if his renewed push at the start of 2021 is going to see him rise up in next year's poll.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yuki Kamifuku - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Willie Mack - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Suzu Suzuki - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
SeXXXy Eddy - 2019 Position: #54 (+18 places improvement)
Sammy Guevara - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Sakura Hirota - 2019 Position: #62 (+26 places improvement)
Ryo Mizunami - 2019 Position: #55 (+19 places improvement)
DOUKI - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank

A mixture of newcomers and returns, with representatives from AEW, Ice Ribbon, IMPACT, Pro-Wrestling Wave, SEAdLINNNG, TJPW and The Independents. Perhaps the two that most standout are DOUKI and Sammy Guevara. The latter because he's clearly been earmarked as a future star from the beginning, and the former because he was just kind of a guy making up the numbers who suddenly blossomed during the COVID-19 era of wrestling shows. Suzu Suzuki did not rank last year, possibly because she wasn't born yet because Jesus Christ she's young.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yunamon - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
YAMATO - 2019 Position: #59 (+24 places improvement)
Sonny Kiss - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Sasha Banks - 2019 Position: #57 (+22 places improvement)
Sami Zayn - 2019 Position: #51 (+16 places improvement)
Rina Yamashita - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Mio Momono - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Kevin Owens - 2019 Position: #39 (+4 places improvement)
Keisuke Okuda - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Jeff Cobb - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Chris Brookes - 2019 Position: #47 (+12 places improvement)
Chris Bey - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Chase Parker - 2019 Position: #56 (+21 places improvement)
Angelico - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank
Angel Ortiz - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank.

This group represents the last of the wrestlers who couldn't possibly be ranked anybody's #1 favorite wrestler. In the rankings that follow, it's possible that wrestlers got up over 10 points without ever being named anybody's top pick, but up to this point NONE of the wrestlers were ever given that honor. There are some surprising names so low down, including Jeff Cobb, Sasha Banks and of course Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn. It is quite sweet to see them both end up ranked in the same place though :)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

It is quite sweet to see them both end up ranked in the same place though :)
And next to each other in the graphic. :3:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Imagine seeing a list with Kamiyu and calling Sammy Guevara the standout. :colbert:

e: Also, lmao @ "Surprisingly far down Sasha Banks (+22 places), Sami Zayn (+16 places), and Kevin Owens (+4 places)"

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 25, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yoshiko - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank | Times Voted #1: 0
YOSHI-HASHI - 2019 Position: #57 (+23 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 0
Saya Iida - 2019 Position: #62 (+28 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 1
Shoko Najakima - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank | Times Voted #1: 1
Saki Akai - 2019 Position: #62 (+28 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 0
Matt Martel - 2019 Position: #55 (+21 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 1
Kaito Ishida - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank | Times Voted #1: 1
Eita - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank | Times Voted #1: 1
Deonna Purrazzo - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank | Times Voted #1: 1
Danhausen - 2019 Position: #57 (+23 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 0
Chris Dickinson - 2019 Position: #52 (+18 places improvement) | Times Voted #1:
Alex Colon - 2019 Position: #53 (+19 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 1
Abadon - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank | Times Voted #1: 0

This is where we start seeing the power of the number 1 vote, as several wrestlers who were only voted for ONCE in the entire thread still managed a respectable ranking and power past many other wrestlers who recieved more individual votes and are "bigger" names. Promotions represented are AEW, Dragon Gate, IMPACT, New Japan, NOAH, ROH, SEAdLINNNG, STARDOM, TJPW, and the Independents. Danhausen represents not only the first appearance of ROH on this poll, but the ONLY appearance of ROH on this poll, compared to 12 ROH wrestlers being selected in 2019. New Japan's YOSHI-HASHI was down low in the ranks in 2019, but he got back up, B A R S B A Y :shobon:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Senerio posted:

Imagine seeing a list with Kamiyu and calling Sammy Guevara the standout. :colbert:

More of you cowards should have voted DOUKI. Our favourite lovely gremlin deserves all the love

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Saki Akai is good

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Senerio posted:

Saki Akai is good
:hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kris Statlander - 2019 Position: #52 (+19 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 0
Keith Lee - 2019 Position: #57 (+24 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 0
Adam Cole - 2019 Position: #33 (no change) | Times Voted #1: 0

Finally the numbers are starting to thin out in each ranking. NXT's Adam Cole managed to stay exactly in place from his 2019 ranking, which sums up his position in the company as well as he remains an NXT mainstay with no apparent desire or push to be moved up to the main roster anytime soon. In 2020 he managed a face turn along with his stable The Undisputed Era, and enjoyed a quasi-celebrity feud against Pat McAfee and The Kings of NXT. Keith Lee meanwhile has more mixed success, as his NXT run ended on somewhat of a low note as he vacated his NXT North American Championship, promptly lost the NXT Championship (which was vacated the next show due to Karrion Kross' injury) and moved to the main roster where despite sticking around the main event he has been trapped in 50/50 booking and made to wear a shirt because Vince McMahon is a senile, out-of-touch old lunatic. AEW's Kris Statlander also had a tough year. After losing in her effort to win the Women's Title from Nyla Rose, she suffered an ACL injury in June and was largely absent from the promotion until late in 2020 when she made her return. Back to vibing well with Orange Cassidy, she has also made failed efforts to abduct members of the roster, because I forgot to mention she's an alien.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
YOSHI-HASHI tried his best and we all believed in him :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mizuki - 2019 Position: Did Not Rank | Times Voted #1: 0
Bray Wyatt - 2019 Position: #45 (+13 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 1

In an interesting contrast, Bray Wyatt managed to secure this position thanks to 3 votes: 2 put him 10th of a ranking but 1 listed him as their favorite werestler, giving him 12 points. But Mizuki was middle of the road all the way, managing 2 5th place rankings that secured her the same spot. Mizuki is a member of the rosters of both Tokyo Joshi Pro and DDT, and is 1/5th of the KO-D 10-Man Tag Team Champions. She was after singles gold in 2020 though, winning the Tokyo Princess Cup for the second year in a row and unsuccessfully challenging Yuka Sakazaki (her tag team partner!) for the Princess of Princess Championship. Meanwhile, Bray Wyatt is.... well there have been fleeting highs and astonishing lows. Built as an indestructible monster, he nonetheless suffered a quick loss to Bill Goldberg of all people, then banished John Cena forever into a meta-narrative projection of a deconstruction of Cena's career (one of those fleeting highs), hosed about with Braun Strowman a bit, got creepy with Alexa Bliss and then got burned to death by Randy Orton. It's... yeah. But SOMEBODY enjoyed it, and that's the important thing, because we can't build a consensus view of our forum's favorite active wrestlers without these outliers thrown into the mix.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Grumble grumble, the innovator of the Whirling Candy was robbed of a higher position.

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1325166802658238467

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm just mentally dragging the TJPW roster up about 5-10 spots to account for the poor taste of the posters.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Having to share a spot with WMOTYC machine Bray feels like is an insult.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

frankenfreak posted:

Having to share a spot with WMOTYC machine Bray feels like is an insult.

Think of it in a positive way, she got 6x the votes of Will Ospreay.

That's the only way I won't spend this whole list grumbling tbh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Butcher - 2019 Position: #59 (+28 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 0
SANADA - 2019 Position: #20 (-11 places drop) | Times Voted #1: 1
Nick Gage - 2019 Position: #18 (-13 places drop) | Times Voted #1: 0
Colt Cabana - 2019 Position: #58 (+27 places improvement)| Times Voted #1: 0

The great thing about pro-wrestling is that there's something for everybody: whether you want a monocled muscle-for-hire who moonlights as a guitarist; a former felon who has turned his life around to be simultaneously wholesome AND a brutal bloody deathmatch wrestler; an incredibly handsome man; or a good Jewish boy who just wants to be friends... well, wrestling has it! Of the 4, only SANADA was voted anybody's #1 pick (though The Butcher managed a respectable #2 spot), with the others making it up to this point thanks to more votes in lower rankings. Of all of them, Nick Gage probably had the quietest 2020 due to the lack of Independent Shows thanks to COVID-19 (meaning we also missed the joy of seeing him in Effy's Bi-Curious Battle Royal). Colt Cabana was involved in the Dark Order storyline in AEW, as the friendly new recruit to the cult being shielded by their leader from their darker dealings. The Butcher got wrapped up in the excellent Jon Moxley/Eddie Kingston storyline, which also got him a title shot against Jon Moxley for himself and now sees him feuding against PAC and The Lucha Bros. SANADA was very busy in 2020 despite the long hiatus between shows due to COVID-19, making it to the Semi-Finals of the New Japan Cup and the final of the G1 tournament, as well as (eventually) feuding with long-time partner EVIL after the latter betrayed their leader Tetsuya Naito, and went into 2021 aiming for the IWGP Championship himself.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Senerio posted:

Think of it in a positive way, she got 6x the votes of Will Ospreay.
:dudsmile: