Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Gonna fail your framing inspection on that, I don't see any hurricane ties at all. :v:

Dunno, looks like it could handle cat 2, maybe even cat 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Jealous of that cat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Jesus christ

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

Gonna fail your framing inspection on that, I don't see any hurricane ties at all. :v:

Looks great, and awwwww catte. I guess you have two cats now.

When I call for final on structural I'll take the inspector and show him that :v:

I should probably update my permits, since my current permit is for "no alterations to load bearing walls" I think I'm gonna need a structural engineer too :(.

Julius has made it clear that this is his home now, whether I like it or not, so yeah, two kitties, it's gonna be rough when I move him inside, Rosie does not socialize with other cats.

Jules can literally climb the bare walls up to the ceiling, so I can't bring him inside until the downstairs is finished.

Jaded Burnout posted:

:catstare:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

5 poorly packaged boxes full of very old pieces of wood have arrived at my doorstep, and by doorstep I mean "thrown down in middle of the driveway by a (rightfully) pissed off FedEx driver"

Now what to do with them?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Home Depot was having a sale on the exact flooring I want, the top of the line Lifeproof with integrated underlayment for just over 2$/sqft.

Sorry little truck.

E: let's see how well I made my lovely garage shelves.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 21, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm well rested for the first time in a couple weeks, so I decided to put a couple hours into finishing the beams, the important, time-limiting house project.

Then I thought "I'll just throw this seismic hold-down on real quick.

Two hours of searching for tools and loving around because I put a cripple almost directly over the anchor later:

Guess I'm done for the night.

E: I also slashed the pad of my thumb and bled loving everywhere.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 21, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

God damnit Lowes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Beam me up Scotty.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Nice!

Question for you - assuming you had a structural engineer involved, how much effort is it in your area to change the permit? Like, does the engineer just need to produce a letter that OKs what you did or does it go through review again?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I called up my county about that!

I'd fall under "prescriptive design" which means I wouldn't need an engineer for plans, I could draw them myself.

I would have to redo all the permitting, since my current permit doesn't require drawings, I'm going to see if the inspector will let me slide on that though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

And the other beam.

Walls come down tomorrow, then it's floor rippin' up time.

Also need to wire up some temp electric, that wall has the last good set of outlets in the remodel zone.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The walls, come tumblin down.

Very satisfying project. I both can imagine being in your shoes and enjoying it and also knowing that I really am glad I'm not.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Days like yesterday where I can just cut and nail and screw and make tons of progress are very satisfying, other days not so much.

I'm really lucky to have my family near by, who are willing (and motivated by COVID to do something relatively safe) to help me out, things like lifting those beams into place, while I could do it, it's not a great idea, since they weigh well over 100lbs, I had to unload and carry them by myself a couple times, and it sucked. Then just the sheer number of hours that go into stuff like demo and cleanup... this would be a 10 year project like Kastein's without their help.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

I'm really lucky to have my family near by, who are willing (and motivated by COVID to do something relatively safe) to help me out, things like lifting those beams into place, while I could do it, it's not a great idea, since they weigh well over 100lbs, I had to unload and carry them by myself a couple times, and it sucked. Then just the sheer number of hours that go into stuff like demo and cleanup... this would be a 10 year project like Kastein's without their help.

Sounds familiar. I had to move a 200kg table saw (in two pieces) by myself and that was an ordeal. That's bound to be made worse by having to deal with such a wide spread center of gravity. At least you could drag it along the ground from one end, though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sounds familiar. I had to move a 200kg table saw (in two pieces) by myself and that was an ordeal. That's bound to be made worse by having to deal with such a wide spread center of gravity. At least you could drag it along the ground from one end, though.

Yeah, fortunately I can get them over a shoulder too which helps, not very maneuverable though.

Walls are down!

I'll get some better pictures in the light, but the future living room space is super cool opened up with windows on each end.

Just need to clear down and organize and if I'm lucky I can get the floor done next weekend.

E: it's going to suck having to re-baloon the ceiling down, for reference ceiling is going to be 4" below the top of the main beams.

E2, here's a picture my GF got of the burn pile eclipsing the house (painted wood in foreground segregated to go back in trash)

E3: the last downstairs windows are in too, so the downstairs is 100% sealed, above floor level at least.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 24, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I know nothing about house construction other than what I've seen in this and Ken's thread. What is the reason for notching the beam so that it doesn't touch the cross beams that it's supporting and then joining them back together with those metal pieces?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Load bearing drywall cabinetry.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Locator posted:

I know nothing about house construction other than what I've seen in this and Ken's thread. What is the reason for notching the beam so that it doesn't touch the cross beams that it's supporting and then joining them back together with those metal pieces?

So, the ceiling is way out of level, and not consistently, and the main beam can't be notched, and is going to be visible so I wanted it perfectly level, so those 2x6's are there just to act as a support that I can cut to fit, they're cut about 1/4 to 1/8" deeper than necessary so that it's easier to slide into place, then I hammered in shims (thin plastic wedges) so that the cross beams (floor joists) are in direct contact with and supported by the beam.

The metal bits are "hurricane clips" and they're there to deal with uplift forces, which can happen during unusual events like earthquakes and high winds, they're normally used in roofs, here I'm using them to mostly to help keep the joists from rolling, and to replace some of the shear value from me stripping the ship-lathe (wood covering on the ceiling) as well as keeping the joists in place during an earthquake.

H110Hawk posted:

Load bearing drywall cabinetry.

That's not touching the ceiling!

E: I just got rid of the load-bearing ship-lathe that was holding the ceiling up too!

That's a freebie the old roomate dragged home, I was gonna build it into the bedroom, but I'm sick of moving it around and don't thing it would fit anyways, so it's going in my Nephew's room as an awesome toy cabinet/closet space, I'm hoping to take it over tomorrow, if I can get to the dump and the weather holds.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 24, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

That's not touching the ceiling yet!

You'll never convince me otherwise.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for the explanation. Also I live in Arizona, I sometimes forget that earthquakes and other natural disasters are something people have to consider when building things. :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Locator posted:

Thanks for the explanation. Also I live in Arizona, I sometimes forget that earthquakes and other natural disasters are something people have to consider when building things. :v:

I hope I explained it correctly, I'm still very much learning structural codes and how to frame stuff.

Last night I pinched a nerve in my shoulder, and my arm's been dead all day, so I didn't get into more gutting/construction like I wanted.

Those walls I took down had the last outlets in the first floor that aren't just retro boxes flopping around at the end of wires (which I'm ashamed to say I used until my GF kicked one and shorted it out)

So it's time for some proper temporary construction power until I I get the downstairs rewires.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Last night I pinched a nerve in my shoulder, and my arm's been dead all day, so I didn't get into more gutting/construction like I wanted.

I, more frequently than I'd like, hit up Dr Jo on youtube for stretching out the latest weird part of my body to have issues. There are like real life doctors and physical therapy of course but ~pandemic~

Good luck getting back to the grind.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

New tool day.

:hellyeah:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
That's a lot of amps!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It is! That's why I bothered with ordering online through Slowes, they were running an online only sale for this kit for the same price as the kit with two 2.0Ah batteries, worked out to like $270, not a great deal, but I need a drill now, and I couldn't find a better deal online.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's a beautiful day to pick up some steel.

Online Metals has some really good prices on steel, but man their pricing system is stupid, a 10' length is like 2x the price per foot of an 8' length because it's a "custom cut".

So I ordered a 20' length, and since I can't safely load or transport that myself I cut it in half with a sawzall hanging off their loading dock.

E: I'm going with the incredibly stupid floating stairs idea.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hmmm, picking up a 200lb piece of steel, even briefly, may have been a mistake.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 28, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oooh boy lower back pain?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, suddenly couldn't stand up.

A year of skipping the gym thanks to COVID has not been good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I find a brisk walk helps the most, and ibuprofen

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Need to work out your core my man!

My back would be so hosed up if it wasn't for ring fit adventure lol.

Yes I could make the same moves without a stupid babby game but brain need number to go up.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I find a brisk walk helps the most, and ibuprofen

That's my usual recovery routine, gets everything stretched out.

organburner posted:

Need to work out your core my man!

My back would be so hosed up if it wasn't for ring fit adventure lol.

Yes I could make the same moves without a stupid babby game but brain need number to go up.

I need to be more diligent about working out regularly, but I don't really have the space in the house right now, and it's literally always wet here this time of year.

Tidied up a bit getting ready for the next phase, I had a few bags of concrete and a bunch of rebar left over that I wanted to get rid of, so I decided to deal with this mess:

That's a 30' deep open casing well, and a huge liability, amount of steel in the concrete is consistent with all the other bullshit around here.

I like steel though

Finished product.

Video for anyone who's never had the satisfaction of operating a donkey d.... concrete vibrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik1AlmVn8zQ

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How smooth can you get a concrete pour? Is it ever clean enough that you don't need to add a finish layer for a level "ok to wheel things over it" surface?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jaded Burnout posted:

How smooth can you get a concrete pour? Is it ever clean enough that you don't need to add a finish layer for a level "ok to wheel things over it" surface?

You almost never lay a finish layer on concrete. Just smooth it out nicely with the right tools. A nice garage floor is a steel trowel finish, your driveway should get a magnesium float and then broom finish for slip resistance, and your modern house gets the steel trowel but then a polish on it with a 30 grit down through finer grit until it's shiny, then sealed.

If anything Elviscat is overconsolidating it and getting all the gravel to the bottom, usually just a once over with the vibrator to bring some cream to the top and infill around the rebar. That top layer is a nice mix of water, cement and sand and you smooth it out like a cake.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Big pours like garages get a bull float for a nice level surface too.

The key for things like a broom finish is to let the concrete set for a couple hours before hitting it with a broom.

Here's the walkways mid-brooming after being hit with a mag float, they're certainly not a work of art, but it was so nice not having to walk around in mud anymore, and the finish makes them nice and tractiony in the winter.

I don't think I'd trust myself to do the finish work on an exposed slab, I'd probably have it poured by people who know what they're doing.

E: I would've done a better job with the vibrator if I wasn't filming with my other hand :v:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 29, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elviscat posted:

E: I would've done a better job with the vibrator if I wasn't filming with my other hand :v:

That's what she said

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

Big pours like garages get a bull float for a nice level surface too.

The key for things like a broom finish is to let the concrete set for a couple hours before hitting it with a broom.

Here's the walkways mid-brooming after being hit with a mag float, they're certainly not a work of art, but it was so nice not having to walk around in mud anymore, and the finish makes them nice and tractiony in the winter.

I don't think I'd trust myself to do the finish work on an exposed slab, I'd probably have it poured by people who know what they're doing.

Two things, that looks like a nice job on that pour, I certainly don't mean to rip on your cover job since it seriously doesn't matter and I know you did it for the lols.

Second thing.... That's a lot of hard surface sloping down to your door. And I do mean to rip on you for that. Is there a place for water to go other than the threshold?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hmm, good to know, thanks.

StormDrain posted:

Is there a place for water to go other than the threshold?

StormDrain posted:

StormDrain

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Two things, that looks like a nice job on that pour, I certainly don't mean to rip on your cover job since it seriously doesn't matter and I know you did it for the lols.

Second thing.... That's a lot of hard surface sloping down to your door. And I do mean to rip on you for that. Is there a place for water to go other than the threshold?

My Brother's wife was ripping on that, thinking the PO poured the walkways the other day lol.

It's hard to see in that picture, but we thought of that, and that little patch of original concrete in front of the door slopes the opposite way, forming a little V that effectively drains all the water off to the side instead of hitting the house, the trade off is that it's ugly as gently caress because the old aggregate-finish concrete has a visible junction to the new broom-finished pathway.

E: it's right where that blue extension cord is laying.

Eventually I'm gonna build a little mudroom off to the left of the door there (currently it's a laundry hallway, and it sucks loving rear end, I've already smashed the rotary encoder on the washing machine with construction debris and almost broke it) and that'll turn into the main entrance, and I'll cut that part of the walkway out.

Bonus: in that photo you can see the awesome grading that poo poo all the water from everywhere straight into the house, and contributed to the beam rotting out, there was actually a solid stream running through the crawlspace at one point.

The new grading still needs French drains to make sure water doesn't pool against the new footer, but that's a "when the house doesn't have gaping holes in it" project.