Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Will MULEs die from a long fall if they're already unconscious?

It was quite a fun little cliffside fight scene but I'm a little worried :ohdear:

(e) While I'm asking questions, are climbing rope end's positions saved and restored when I load the game/see someone else's? So many have been coiled up uselessly at the top of cliffs :ughh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
They might not be programmed to die from heights, they don't really appear near any I don't think. It's tangential but I tried to push a mule truck into the tar with my truck and when I got within a certain distance of the tar, it seemed like the AI in the car suddenly pivoted and said "gently caress this I'm outta here" after like 3 minutes of not reacting to me ragdolling them. Outside a truck they also basically start to ignore you if you get near the tar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I noticed that climbing ropes do not, unfortunately, seem to reliably save their endpoints at the bottom of the cliff. I've run into a few that were extended but yes, most of them were just sat at the top of the cliff.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pretty annoying, definitely reduces my motivation to put em down for future use since there's half a chance I won't be able to climb back up. When I do climb em or put em down I've even specifically thrown the rope down to make sure it's accessible.

night slime posted:

They might not be programmed to die from heights, they don't really appear near any I don't think. It's tangential but I tried to push a mule truck into the tar with my truck and when I got within a certain distance of the tar, it seemed like the AI in the car suddenly pivoted and said "gently caress this I'm outta here" after like 3 minutes of not reacting to me ragdolling them. Outside a truck they also basically start to ignore you if you get near the tar.

I sure hope not. I was having a massive melee furball in the camp between S. Lake Knot distro center and the Junk Dealer, and they came over such a wide area that the fight ended up moving to one of those canyons. One of them fell in after I socked em one, and I think it was one of the two with stars in my pic, but I'm just not suuuure :ohdear:

speaking of which area, what the hell was up with the otter thing

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You'll know if you kill one. I somehow killed one by hitting him with my trike and one of the NPCs immediately told me I needed to incinerate the body.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fair enough then, I hope they had a nice nap :)

Finally found the Collector, too, so I finally don’t have that weird jut of un networked area :woop:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Chapter 6 spoilers

Did I miss something with Sam starting to call BB "Lou"? I'm in Chapter 8 now so I understand the choice of name but the first time I remember him using the name was in the cutscene where Deadman takes Lou and I was really confused for a moment. I feel like I missed a line in an earlier chapter where Sam said "y'know I think I'm going to call you Lou" or similar.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Chapter 6 spoilers

Did I miss something with Sam starting to call BB "Lou"? I'm in Chapter 8 now so I understand the choice of name but the first time I remember him using the name was in the cutscene where Deadman takes Lou and I was really confused for a moment. I feel like I missed a line in an earlier chapter where Sam said "y'know I think I'm going to call you Lou" or similar.

Yeah I don't think there's a moment for that, it just happens. I think the point is for you to wonder why that happens too until it's revealed eventually.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah I don't think there's a moment for that, it just happens. I think the point is for you to wonder why that happens too until it's revealed eventually.

I think you can find some interviews that hint at it before the reveal, too.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Beat the game spoilers:

so we establish that I'm BB via some time travel shenanigans, which begs the question who the hell is Louise? Was I actually in the Manhattan void out and it's my unborn daughter?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Mr. Crow posted:

Beat the game spoilers:

so we establish that I'm BB via some time travel shenanigans, which begs the question who the hell is Louise? Was I actually in the Manhattan void out and it's my unborn daughter?

You're not the BB Sam carries around, there's no time travel involved. The flashbacks that Sam and Deadman assumed were Lou's memories were actually Sam's memories, Sam was originally an early BB. Cliff tried to rescue him from Bridges and got killed, Sam-as-a-BB died in the conflict, and President Strand brought baby Sam back to life, turning him into a repatriate and, it's implied, initiating or accelerating a lot of the death stranding phenomena. I'm not too clear on that last part, that was what I got out of it.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I noticed that climbing ropes do not, unfortunately, seem to reliably save their endpoints at the bottom of the cliff. I've run into a few that were extended but yes, most of them were just sat at the top of the cliff.

This. I have one dropping down to the Collector, and if I screw up (too much cargo) and reload, I have to go the long way around.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

OwlFancier posted:

In the game's Community hub on Steam, there's a guide that solely mentions climbing rope etiquette because it's so bad.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2347396931

Basically, whenever you get to the top of a rope, face away from the edge and let go. Sam will fling it back behind him.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Episode 4 is a load of complete horseshit and it's completely killing any interest I once had in the game

(e) once again the power of complaining on the internet prevails, but jfc that sucked

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 24, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mr. Crow posted:

Beat the game spoilers:

The game is basically saying who Lou actually is doesn't really matter since the whole reveal was the memories being Sam's all along. It's a bit of a drag we don't to get find out who she actually is but considering what would have happened if Sam didn't run away with her she is probably better off. :v:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Sono posted:

This. I have one dropping down to the Collector, and if I screw up (too much cargo) and reload, I have to go the long way around.

Have a zipline landing pad right above his alcove and have a ladder down to his shelter :ssh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

In the game's Community hub on Steam, there's a guide that solely mentions climbing rope etiquette because it's so bad.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2347396931

Basically, whenever you get to the top of a rope, face away from the edge and let go. Sam will fling it back behind him.

I have noticed that but they still seem to be quite finnicky, I have had a few of mine just.. not save that state apparently.

Really I wish you could set a top and bottom anchor point for them. And perhaps daisy chain them together.

And also that they were actually needed, but, y'know.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ladders have always seemed too damned short to be useful 99% of the time

I still bring one on every trip though because when I don't it guarantees that one in a hundred gap-I-can't-jump :argh:

(e) Just got to ep5, and seems I unlocked zip lines. Are there any more major toys or mechanics coming that'd compel me to continue on the story, or is it road-building time :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Once you get the level 2 PCC that is all the structures I think, but the main reason why it isn't road building time is because you just got ziplines which are basically better :v:

Build one across the waterfall basin from cliff to cliff, it's fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i can't ride a trike on a zipline :colbert:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

i can't ride a trike on a zipline :colbert:

Not with that attitude.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

you right

Is it actually possible to roll over (or on the trike, backwards) in vehicles or am I worrying about nothing?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sono posted:

The game really missed an oppourtunity to let players use the 'call out' function to have some unseen Sam throw the rope down.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Not with that attitude.

I can't haul 2.5 tons of cargo on a zipline.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm doing the roads first not because of any good reason, but because I gotta imagine those zips are doing horrible things to poor Sam's right arm :ohdear:

Question, is there any better way to farm chiral crystals than to go get caught by a BT and reversal-of-fortune the boss?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 24, 2021

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm doing the roads first not because of any good reason, but because I gotta imagine those zips are doing horrible things to poor Sam's right arm :ohdear:

Question, is there any better way to farm chiral crystals than to go get caught by a BT and reversal-of-fortune the boss?

Every station should have plenty to claim.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sono posted:

It's the reason I went with a ladder after a couple trips.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Every station should have plenty to claim.

Yeah, at a certain point I just got in the habit of claiming them if some place had more than 200 of them. The exception was places like Distribution Center South of Lake Knot City and Mountain Knot since those were the places I usually fabricated equipment or did some backpack customization, so I didn't have to bother with recycling chiral crystals.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

The ruined roadside factory was the best place to grind crystals for me, you approach it on the road betweenn the craftsmen and before the incinerator. There was a private room nearby and the BT boss respawned almost instantly after defeat, I forget if it it had anything to do with the amulet I was wearing though,

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

What are you guys doing that you need to farm crystals? I found the main bottleneck for building roads to be ceramics. Any time I started getting low on crystals I just made a point of stopping to pick them up in the wild a little more often until I was good again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A zip line building/upgrade spree will cut into your crystals pretty hard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Midjack posted:

cut back (by cutting BT cords)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah the problem went away once I realized how huge all the preppers' stockpiles had gotten :v: loving ceramics though.

I think I finished the road; Lake & South Knot are connected end to end, and I assume there's no other highways (right?), so I started on the ziplines

man that ride is gonna kick rear end once i get a tower on the other side

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

yeah the problem went away once I realized how huge all the preppers' stockpiles had gotten :v: loving ceramics though.

I think I finished the road; Lake & South Knot are connected end to end, and I assume there's no other highways (right?), so I started on the ziplines

There’s a road to the mountains, if you haven’t finished that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Midjack posted:

For that it was chemicals holding me back way more than crystals

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

There’s a fork in the road by the Craftsman.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Romes128 posted:

There’s a fork in the road by the Craftsman.

Son of a bitch I forgot about that. :doh:

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Son of a bitch I forgot about that. :doh:

And the materials for some of the later parts of that one are huge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sono posted:

And the materials for some of the later parts of that one are huge.

JFC you ain't joking. I just finished the second walk back to Mountain Knot, starting at South Knot, at the end of ep5; on the way I passed by the last paver next to Mountain Knot and literally said "loving excuse me?" out loud :v:

That was a real strange couple of non sequiturs at the end there, plotwise; I suspect I've seen nothing yet, but still. Start of ep6 rip Mama, but at least they sort-of explained why she died when I arrived. But where the gently caress did "Lou" come from :psyduck:

and speaking of Lou, I already do not like the gimmick they've started the episode out with :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do any buildings get more than one customization slot with upgrades? I've been on a bit of a building spree. I want to use some holograms but I'm required by law to play Anything You Need for everyone :shobon:, so the slots have all been used

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

No you only get one slot.
You did pick the right song to play at all of your structures though.