Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So apparently the game is functionally complete unlike, say, Satisfactory, and what they want to do is fix bugs, then QoL, then other systems like combat and additional planets/biomes? Seems rather atypical for Early Access and actually makes me want to stick with it. Other games I do not much like to play up against its content wall.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game sure isn't perfect, but watching the sunrise each morning from inside the array of railguns I spent my weekend building as they unload a barrage of solar sails like dozens of tiny comets into my budding dyson swarm as soon as light of dawn crests the horizon is absolutely one of the coolest moments I've ever had in a videogame

boz
Oct 16, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game sure isn't perfect, but watching the sunrise each morning from inside the array of railguns I spent my weekend building as they unload a barrage of solar sails like dozens of tiny comets into my budding dyson swarm as soon as light of dawn crests the horizon is absolutely one of the coolest moments I've ever had in a videogame

So are the things circling the sun the sails or are those the pieces of the dyson sphere? I'm at the point of being able to make them I just haven't committed yet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Those are the Sails, which form a Dyson Swarm. It's basically a temporary dyson sphere since each sail you launch has a limited lifespan. I haven't started building the sphere yet

Pro tips I learned about the dyson swarm:

1) Make your orbits as close to the star as possible. Unless there's some negative impact for this that I'm not aware of it seems to give your railguns a larger launch window every day
2) Only build one receiver dish for Dyson Swarm energy, don't place a second unless the first caps out its energy demand and you need more energy on that planet. I tried spreading a bunch of receiver dishes around the planet at first and ended up getting very low energy from each of them, switching to just one receiver dish shot my energy gain through the roof

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 25, 2021

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Ah okay, I think I'm gonna skip the sails since I'm not really starved for power.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'd recommend at least getting everything in place to start launching them. When you start expanding to other planets with interplanetary logistics hubs you need to be able to quickly plop down enough power to power all the logistics hubs to unroll the concrete red carpet for your welcome :kiddo: The swarm can beam down energy to any planet (I haven't tried beaming across star systems yet though, that might need a separate swarm in the other star system)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So apparently the game is functionally complete unlike, say, Satisfactory, and what they want to do is fix bugs, then QoL, then other systems like combat and additional planets/biomes? Seems rather atypical for Early Access and actually makes me want to stick with it. Other games I do not much like to play up against its content wall.

Where'd you find this? Still wondering if they're going to do pipes or will Liquid Cubes be the thing to go forward with. If the latter then I guess I'm going back into the game lol

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I’m a total amateur and it’s always fun looking at screenshots and going what the hell you can do that?

In this case it looks like you can make two in - one out T’s out of belts without a splitter/sorter?

Non-snap building placement isn’t playing nice for me-is there a special way to get it to work?

Also I played up to the point of sloppily having intraplanetary transport and it never occurred to me to use assemblers to make a ton of buildings.

Figuring out that I could “just go” to space was pretty cool followed by bouncing off a planet at 1000mph. Same with turning on my first inter planet transporter and having it depower the planet because I never really moved past coal power lol.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I thought I saw someone mention that splitters stacked on top of eachother could move items between them (EG: items go into the bottom splitter and are sorted and outputted on two different belts on the top splitter) but I couldn't figure out how to make that work.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just accidentally discovered that the recipe copy/paste shortcuts work with just mousing over the building. For some dumb reason, I thought I had to select what I was copying/pasting each time. Welp. Time to get more efficient.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I thought I saw someone mention that splitters stacked on top of eachother could move items between them (EG: items go into the bottom splitter and are sorted and outputted on two different belts on the top splitter) but I couldn't figure out how to make that work.

That's storages. You can stack storages, feed an item into one on one level and take from the other level. You can even have all but 1 level configured to 0 stack buffer and it still works fine.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 25, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm having trouble figuring out energetic graphite: coal + smelter gets me graphite, but the diagram shows an alternative recipe where hydrogen combined with refined oil creates graphite and more hydrogen. That'd be great, since it would let me eat my oil refinery's oil output while making hydrogen for red science, but the smelter only has a recipe for the coal version, and if one of the other assembly machines has the alternative recipe I haven't found it.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out energetic graphite: coal + smelter gets me graphite, but the diagram shows an alternative recipe where hydrogen combined with refined oil creates graphite and more hydrogen. That'd be great, since it would let me eat my oil refinery's oil output while making hydrogen for red science, but the smelter only has a recipe for the coal version, and if one of the other assembly machines has the alternative recipe I haven't found it.

That recipe is in the oil refinery.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

boz posted:

That recipe is in the oil refinery.

...so of course it's in the one thing I didn't check. Thank you!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a reason to build a dyson swarm rather than just carpeting the equator in panels? I've got shitloads of power and I don't know if I want to waste resources on maintaining a swarm.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a reason to build a dyson swarm rather than just carpeting the equator in panels? I've got shitloads of power and I don't know if I want to waste resources on maintaining a swarm.

The swarm lets you power other planets from the comfort of home, you need it (or solid Dyson Sphere bits) for Other Things than power later on, the EM cannons and swarm look extremely cool. You can definitely wait until you've done the yellow science solar sail lifetime and efficiency research though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, on other planets you wouldn't have guaranteed good power sources. No coal (also always finite), no oil, bad wind speed, etc.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

OwlFancier posted:

1) it's cool
2) it's not exactly that expensive (1 sail is, when you break it down, 10 stone + 1 iron ore + 0.5 copper ore + oil products which are infinite)
3) you get upgrades for how long they last (which basically translates into more power being made)
4) you need to make the sails anyways for the actual sphere
5) it's a lot easier to slap a handful of dyson power receivers on a new planet than it is to put down a few hundred solar panels
6) no reason you can't do both.

Also I solved my hydrogen issues! Turned out all my oil refineries were backed up with refined gas or graphite. Upgrading my production lines to actually make more graphene and sulfuric acid to use those products have done wonders for clearing out my backlog and ramping up my hydrogen production.

Also upgrading my fractionators to max tier belts has also spiked my deuterium conversion since they run at the speed of the belts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, I just set up a small factory on a planet with silicon and just shat out gigantic amounts of solar panels, so I can stick them on every planet in the system if i want.

Mostly I am just more concerned I will have to keep finding new material deposits to supply them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

To each their own. Castor 1 A.K.A. Industro-Mercury has both a ring of solar panels about 85% away around the planet and dyson receivers because I set it up earlier. It's really up to the player.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This game rules really hard and my entire planet is a horrible spaghetti mess and I've only just started scaling up with logistics drones. I find the lack of good copy/paste functions really limiting though, building large setups is annoying when copying buildings doesn't copy belts and sorters. But I have titanium and once I get a sail swarm running it's going to take off in an incredible way.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

This game sure isn't perfect, but watching the sunrise each morning from inside the array of railguns I spent my weekend building

I was curious, if there is no PvE in the game yet, why do you need the rail guns? Because its part of a building tree or is there another purpose to them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The railguns are used to launch sails into orbit around the star.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tempus Thales posted:

I was curious, if there is no PvE in the game yet, why do you need the rail guns? Because its part of a building tree or is there another purpose to them?

Because we've declared war on the stars themselves!

They launch swarms of temporary solar collectors around the sun. I'm rather sad you don't re-use them later to launch construction drones.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Alkydere posted:

Also upgrading my fractionators to max tier belts has also spiked my deuterium conversion since they run at the speed of the belts.

Huh. The more you know, I guess that's some more free power and real estate for me.

I assume the fluid buildings that you direct feed with belts either were or will be pipe buildings, they're odd in a lot of ways as is. My fractionator loop backed up for a bit at one point and they started blinking like hell's disco when the loop restarted and they all began flipping from blocked to working and back 6 times/second. Had to manually empty them of hydrogen, one at a time.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Does anyone know how exactly the 'interstellar power transmission' tech works? I decided to reroll, and the new seed has a tidally locked inner system planet with a juicy bonus to solar power I'm thinking of turning into a giant solar farm, if I can use it to power offworld stuff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

Huh. The more you know, I guess that's some more free power and real estate for me.

I assume the fluid buildings that you direct feed with belts either were or will be pipe buildings, they're odd in a lot of ways as is. My fractionator loop backed up for a bit at one point and they started blinking like hell's disco when the loop restarted and they all began flipping from blocked to working and back 6 times/second. Had to manually empty them of hydrogen, one at a time.

Yup. Tier 2 belts will have them process at 2x the speed. Tier 3 belts will have them process at 5x the speed of Tier 1's.

Also just discovered that the solar sails have actual models, or at least sprites, if you fly close enough. Super-duper simple, just 6 triangles to make a hex, but it's there.

In the meantime my journey of bouncing between advancing my production and un-loving my original basic cottage industry stuff continues.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you want to use (non-swarm) solar for your energy needs there are better places for the solar panels than the equator, a big solar field at one of the poles will have almost 24/7 uptime (though not at 100% efficiency 100% of the time).

One interplanetary logistics hub will eat up a bare minimum of 30MW/sec of energy toward charging and when first placed it has an empty 12GJ reservoir to fill, so relying on solar panels means the full capacity of at least 83 solar panels will go toward it until full - and then it goes on to drain a ton any time drones/ships are recharging there. That's doable but a lot of work on a tidally locked planet, or on the other hand with a dyson swarm you can just drop 3 ray receivers at the pole in the sunlight for the same effect

metasynthetic posted:

Does anyone know how exactly the 'interstellar power transmission' tech works? I decided to reroll, and the new seed has a tidally locked inner system planet with a juicy bonus to solar power I'm thinking of turning into a giant solar farm, if I can use it to power offworld stuff.

It gives you a building that can be used to pre-fill accumulators with energy, you can then ship those accumulators to another planet and put them into the same building there to release their energy into the grid. Like shipping barrels of energy back and forth basically. And yes it can be fully automated!

I have not actually used it this way so I can't comment on how energy-efficient it is re: cost of shipping vs. transported amount, there's probably a fairly heavy tax there. However you can also use the pre-filled accumulators as 90MJ-each batteries for your mecha that stack to 20 :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 25, 2021

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Ambaire posted:

That's storages. You can stack storages, feed an item into one on one level and take from the other level. You can even have all but 1 level configured to 0 stack buffer and it still works fine.

thyis is huge, thank you.

edit: got to the point last night where i was making the first tier of science juice and going from struggling to piece together a few important researches to unlocking one every few minutes, passively, was a hugely satisfying moment. i now once again have no idea what i'm doing, but that's a good place to start next time!

Frances Nurples fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 25, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
No, you can actually use sorters as elevators, yes. Hit tab or something to change how it's set up when you're in building placement mode.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What am I supposed to do with all this excess oil and energized graphite? Just throw it all into plastics and burn the excess graphite in power plants?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Good point on polar solar farms being better options, the fact that the panels don't occlude each other, and the game is pretty generous with allowing some power generation past the terminator does make that the better option.

83 solar panels really isn't that much, my homeworld on my old save had a 2 panel thick solar belt, plus another 1 panel thick one on an expansion planet, with the planets being roughly 300 panels in circumference. And the panels don't require upkeep.

I'm sure solar swarms get to be the better option eventually, but in my opinion you unlock them well before they outperform other forms of power.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Just so I'm not missing anything, to get the tech to move stuff between worlds, you need yellow cubes. But to make the yellow cubes, you need to get stuff from a second planet. So you get to be a delivery truck until you make that tech?

fortunately, the entire interstellar tech is just 3 techs of 120 yellow sciences each, which is very comfortably less than a full t1 storage crate of titanium. you need to do 3 trips total, first to set up mining/smelting on titanium, second to go pick it up 5 minutes later when it's full, 3rd to deliver your interplanetary station

e: argh i should refresh before posting

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 25, 2021

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm using my second planet to construct advanced components before they need oil refining. I thought at first the logistics station was interplanetary but that was wrong so I had to retool a little.

Is it worth using logistics stations to move small items like iron? What is the capacity of the towers, I'm wondering if I should keep making stuff locally or just switch entirely to logistics so everything can be fed from off world if I deplete some of my deposits.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm using my second planet to construct advanced components before they need oil refining. I thought at first the logistics station was interplanetary but that was wrong so I had to retool a little.

Is it worth using logistics stations to move small items like iron? What is the capacity of the towers, I'm wondering if I should keep making stuff locally or just switch entirely to logistics so everything can be fed from off world if I deplete some of my deposits.

There are two logistic stations. The first one is intraplanet and the second is intraplanet, interplanet, and interstellar.

The capacity on the planetary logistic stations is 5000 quantity of up to 3 items, I haven't tried but I am pretty sure you can select the same item multiple times. It's functionally the same as logistics bots in Factorio but easier to use (it's all contained in one building that acts as all 4 kinds of logistics chest and a roboport at the same time) but can be used to fill the train role as well (long-distance hauling). It's definitely worth using if you have the energy to support it, conveyors in this game kind of suck since they're single-lane and don't have great merging options. They're fine for moving things short distances between buildings but I have my planets set up as a handful of production centers built around hubs, each hub can accept 12 input/output lanes which is just the right size for setting up incoming shipments of 1-2 materials, then combining them into a 3rd material to make available for elsewhere.

The interplanetary hub can hold 6 items and up to 10,000 quantity each and can obviously ship between planets/stars. It can set different actions on the same item slot for local and remote, so you can have it Demanding iron plates locally but Supplying them remotely to hoover up your planet's iron plates then ship them to other planets.

Right now they don't support any kind of priority system that I'm aware of which means if you have multiple hubs demanding the same item things get a little wonky since you can't control which one it's delivered to first. For example my drones would top up my 4800/5000 iron stockpile in a hub instead of delivering it to the 200/5000 iron hub I had just built but with proper input/output balance and enough drones I don't think it would be as much of an issue but it's worth keeping in mind when imagining supply chains.

I think the best bet is to craft advanced parts discretely instead of shipping in the resources, then ship the advanced parts out - but I could be wrong. It's very easy to do that though with the freedom of movement this game has, you can just plop down a hub set to Supply right next to a couple iron & copper veins then convert into magnets/plates, then into the uhh, advanced magnets or whatever, then into circuit boards, then belt the circuit boards into the hub and ship them to wherever needed. There' s no real need to Bus in this game since the logistics hubs let you effectively bus intangibly in any direction, and since there's no limit of the number of hubs connected together it's totally okay to have uncompressed belts in your production centers that aren't 100% maximizing everything - if your production center gets you 3/sec of the resource you need 30/sec of, just go build more until you hit 30/sec without having to worry about how far away they are or whether you'll be able to belt them all the way back to here (assuming your drone production is fully automated to stick 50 in each new hub right away)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 25, 2021

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
space orb game good

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Dr. Stab posted:

space orb game good

:hmmyes:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
loving loving this game so much

did a big but space effective belt

Its kinda long

Got oil in a giant refinery and power, finally have mini fusion reactors online

getting that first amount of Trit is annoying but a couple trips back and forth will get you enough to make a supply line, game is so good already and cant wait to see what else they add

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to use (non-swarm) solar for your energy needs there are better places for the solar panels than the equator, a big solar field at one of the poles will have almost 24/7 uptime (though not at 100% efficiency 100% of the time).

Depends on your planetary inclination, if it's high enough you will have 100% efficiency for half the year and very low efficiency for the other half. Also I'm doing my actual factory at the poles so I don't want to fill it with panels :v:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm still fairly early on and just messing around. I just got red cubes automated. I'm loving it so far though.

I'm intrigued by the solar sails. Is that the late game power source? How long do the sails last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

toasterwarrior posted:

Where'd you find this? Still wondering if they're going to do pipes or will Liquid Cubes be the thing to go forward with. If the latter then I guess I'm going back into the game lol

Jossar posted:

EDIT:

It's pretty much 80% feature complete right now, and the endgame goal (building a dyson sphere to funnel power back from the colonizable systems to the unseen home world) is present.

I think they are going to release a roadmap soonish, but honestly, do not quote me on this, I am kinda going on hearsay.