Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

therattle posted:

And then they retire to the bedroom?

Ridiculous. There's no bedroom on Earth big enough to accommodate them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Ridiculous. There's no bedroom on Earth big enough to accommodate them both.

Maybe not on Earth, but in it. Don’t forget about the Hollow Earth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In my view Pacific Rim kicked rear end and dropped the ball in near equal measure.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lurdiak posted:

In my view Pacific Rim kicked rear end and dropped the ball in near equal measure.

So you're saying Pacific Rim is both Charlie Brown and Lucy?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

therattle posted:

And then they retire to the bedroom?

I'm sure you can find plenty of content like that on the internet if that's what you're into.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pacific Rim is definitely a case where at least some people making the movie actually understood giant robot media, but unfortunately there was also the influence of Hollywood who find anything foreign or made after 1990 literally incomprehensible swirls of sound and colours.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Give me Godzilla and Kong doing an Astaire/Rogers routine

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In which King Kong german suplexes Godzilla (with a bridge) through a bridge.

He also gives him a Diamond Cutter.

feel the bang

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

I'm sure you can find plenty of content like that on the internet if that's what you're into.

And if I can’t then I’ve discovered a lucrative niche

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/davidmdaut/status/1353442795818610688?s=21

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Godzilla and Kong, except it's Abbott and Costello

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't think it's crazy to point out that big budget CGI action sci-fi movies have a homogenized aesthetic.

The Klowner posted:

Godzilla and Kong, except it's Abbott and Costello

Godzilla and King Kong as buddy cops but they can't solve any crimes because they keep accidentally crushing everything.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I think I mentioned here a while back that my partner was being tested for leukemia. Well, that didn’t turn out to be the case.

However, she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia today. What that means, basically, is that her central nervous system is haywire in a way that will make her extremely fatigued and achey at random. Imagine if you got the flu five fimes a month, and it lasted three days or so each time.

It’s a condition that cannot be cured, usually lasts a lifetime, and will obviously render her more or less totally unable to work. We’re going to need to make some big changes.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched Minority Report (2002) yesterday. During the opening scene, I liked how he acted like a conductor while zooming in and out with his hands while the classical music played. I know how this usually works is that first the opener shows a case with the technology working as intended, and then the second case is the technology going awry, but I wasn't completely sure if they'd jump right into it by having the police chief be in the precog footage, and that created extra tension. When Chief Anderson went into the room with his set-up victim, Lowe, I was thinking "Don't go in there!" because there are a dozen ways it could have gone wrong besides the way it went wrong that would still lead to a murder, such as the guy in there taking Agatha hostage.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am so beyond tired of "Save Mothra" jokes about GvK.

Feels like it's been ran completly into the ground.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

Why did you say that name????

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'm eternally baffled by any love for Pacific Rim, I had some fun while watching it but whenever I think about it now, I remember the dogshit characters and boring, hamfisted writing.

I watched The Proposition and Posse this weekend, both are good neo Westerns. The Proposition's really bleak, and Posse's really wild and energetic, to the point where it actually hurts the movie.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think I mentioned here a while back that my partner was being tested for leukemia. Well, that didn’t turn out to be the case.

However, she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia today. What that means, basically, is that her central nervous system is haywire in a way that will make her extremely fatigued and achey at random. Imagine if you got the flu five fimes a month, and it lasted three days or so each time.

It’s a condition that cannot be cured, usually lasts a lifetime, and will obviously render her more or less totally unable to work. We’re going to need to make some big changes.

Jesus, I'm sorry. Condolences.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The truth is I'm going to kill Mothra myself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lol the supreme court just dismissed all lawsuits against Trump for emoluments arguing that it doesn't matter now that he's no longer president.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Godzilla Vs. Kong, but it's The Thing with Two Heads.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

Phew. That’s tough. I’m sorry

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s been hard. She has lost a number of jobs from falling ill so often. But probably most difficult has been that her cognitive capacity, her memory faculties and problem solving skills, are occasionally diminished to something near early Alzheimer’s level at age 30.

All of this compounds on the fact that this disease is the physical toll on her nervous system caused by two decades of extreme mental illness.

But having a name for it will allow us to start facing it properly. Hopefully, she’ll get disability and we’ll be able to manage financially without her being forced to work a job she can’t actually manage.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Anonymous Robot posted:

This is awful, I hope you guys can work through it okay.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Neurological disorders are horrendous. I wish you and your partner the best of luck facing this ordeal, and hopefully a medical breakthrough will come sooner rather than later.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s been hard. She has lost a number of jobs from falling ill so often. But probably most difficult has been that her cognitive capacity, her memory faculties and problem solving skills, are occasionally diminished to something near early Alzheimer’s level at age 30.

All of this compounds on the fact that this disease is the physical toll on her nervous system caused by two decades of extreme mental illness.

But having a name for it will allow us to start facing it properly. Hopefully, she’ll get disability and we’ll be able to manage financially without her being forced to work a job she can’t actually manage.

That’s terrible, Robot. I wish both of you well

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have a family member who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. While its been no fun for her, she's been amenable to treatment and has largely managed things fairly well. As miserable as it can be, its thankfully not a death sentence.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Roth posted:

I love it because, eventually, you'll get a Snyder fan showing up, upset about the joke. "You don't understand what that scene was about!!!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See I always assumed Mothra would be the Wonder Woman in that setup.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I love it because, eventually, you'll get a Snyder fan showing up, upset about the joke. "You don't understand what that scene was about!!!"

Yeah that guy you made up sounds like a real hoot.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Roth posted:

They could at least go for a "Gamera's Peach Tea" joke or something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Cameo posted:

They could at least go for a "Gamera's Peach Tea" joke or something

Gamera doesn't have any visible excretory organ

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
As someone who's only experience of kaiju film is Pacific Rim 1, is there a good place to start?

EDIT: Uhh sorry, I should have posted this in the kaiju megathread.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 26, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

KVeezy3 posted:

As someone who's only experience of kaiju film is Pacific Rim 1, is there a good place to start?

Godzilla vs Megalon.

Unironically.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

KVeezy3 posted:

Shin Godzilla or Gamera: Guardian of the Universe

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KVeezy3 posted:

Ideally, King Kong 1933

But also Godzilla ‘54

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

KVeezy3 posted:

Watch the original Godzilla.

Then if you want more, watch one or more of:

- the relatively goofy / family friendly Showa-era films (Invasion of Astro Monster is good, or maybe the original Gamera movie)

- the Heisei Godzilla series (I'd go with Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah if you only watch one, but maybe start at the beginning since they're all direct sequels to each other and to Godzilla '54)

- Shin Godzilla

CelticPredator posted:

Ideally, King Kong 1933

this is also good advice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I wouldn't recommend King Kong right off the bat, because it is super racist.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Gripweed posted:

I wouldn't recommend King Kong right off the bat, because it is super racist.

Hold on now, I am pretty racist.

Thanks for the recs everyone!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Giving it some more thought, I think it would depend on what you want out of a kaiju movie, because there's more variety in the genre than people think. Here's a list of guaranteed bangers, in chronological order

Godzilla - This is one of the greatest horror movies of all time. A harrowing existential horror made by people who know what it feels like to face utter destruction from a force to powerful to oppose.

Daimajin - Medieval Japanese peasants come under the rule of a cruel lord, and eventually are forced to summon Daimajin, a giant stone man to come step on them all. Good historical fantasy. And the rest of the trilogy isn't bad either

Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster - The first multi-monster mashup. Goofy sci-fi fun with rubber suited monsters smacking each other around, and aliens

I haven't seen most of the 80s and 90s Godzillas so I can't speak on those

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe - This is a 90s revival of the cheap Godzilla knockoff, but it is not cheap or a knockoff anymore. It's just a really good monster story. Japanese villages get attacked by mysterious giant birds, people try to figure out what's going, eventually Gamera shows up to fight them. I would call this a really good starter Kaiju movie, because it's just a super solid genre piece and doesn't have any of the dated elements of some of the older Godzillas. And the sequel is even better

Godzilla: Final Wars - AKA the Godzilla where Godzilla fights the American Godzilla. Just non-stop action, the human characters all know kung fu and ride in a drill submarine. A really fun watch, but maybe not super indicative of the genre.

Kong: Skull Island - part of the new American Godzilla-verse, and easily the best of the American series. Extremely colorful, not afraid to be goofy at times, lots of different monster set-pieces, John C Reilly, it's a real crowd pleaser

Shin Godzilla - One of the greatest movies ever made. An update of the original, this is a straight up horror movie about a government bureaucracy encountering a slow moving disaster that keeps changing and getting worse. A really unique and beautiful and exciting movie. I recommend it to everyone, all the time, forever.

edit: gently caress I was too late!

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

KVeezy3 posted:

Hold on now, I am pretty racist.