Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trying to watch Servant s2 is a bit of a headache because I don’t really remember what happened at the end of s1, specifically the reveals re what is supernatural and what isn’t. Rupert Grint owns in it, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
We've been binging Search Party and Drew looks identical to someone and its driving us crazy that we can't place it. At first I thought it was either Darren Criss as Andrew Cunannon, or milo yiannopoulos but I don't think its either. Help me out face blind goons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

We've been binging Search Party and Drew looks identical to someone and its driving us crazy that we can't place it. At first I thought it was either Darren Criss as Andrew Cunannon, or milo yiannopoulos but I don't think its either. Help me out face blind goons.

I've been calling him Harry Hotter, if that helps.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Oh yeah we called him Harry Potter too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Probably not who you're thinking of, but he looks a lot like Harold Ramis to me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Probably not who you're thinking of, but he looks a lot like Harold Ramis to me.

Oh man. Never thought of this but now I can absolutely see it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Annabel Pee posted:

Joaquin Phoenix? Charlie Kaufman?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

isaboo posted:

saw some chatter about Servant so I gave the first episode a shot and welp that was not what I was expecting

I shall continue

It's really good and goes very wild places. Rupert Grint is a very underappreciated actor

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Annabel Pee posted:

He's a younger Jason Segel, he even sounds similar. At first I thought he had to be his younger brother or something

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I recently finished watching the latest season of Disenchantment and while I'm enjoying the moment to moment comedy bits at times it feels like someone wrote out an outline of what the plot of the entire series was going to be and they decided to speed run it. Nothing in the plot feels like it has time to breathe because they need to be on to the next thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

I recently finished watching the latest season of Disenchantment and while I'm enjoying the moment to moment comedy bits at times it feels like someone wrote out an outline of what the plot of the entire series was going to be and they decided to speed run it. Nothing in the plot feels like it has time to breathe because they need to be on to the next thing.

I'm enjoying this season more than the previous 2, but this is a show that needed the old ~22 episode seasons, because you aren't wrong, and a lack of focus was a problem before this season hit the gas on the plot.

Also, Tress MacNeill is a national treasure. Not this nation either, a good one.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
WarnerMedia reportedly planning Harry Potter TV series for HBO Max

E: Looks mostly theoretical :wankah: but it feels like something that's definitely happening sooner or later. it's the last thing they haven't really done to monetize the franchise

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 25, 2021

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Gonz posted:

I’ve been watching The Watch on BBC America. I know very little of the Discworld universe, but it’s pretty decent so far.

I feel like those last 2 statements are probably connected?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aardvark! posted:

WarnerMedia reportedly planning Harry Potter TV series for HBO Max

E: Looks mostly theoretical :wankah: but it feels like something that's definitely happening sooner or later. it's the last thing they haven't really done to monetize the franchise

Well that would be a great way to retcon in some things Rowling forgot, like most of the planet existing - strange omission for a brit. HBO certainly has the money to do it right, as long as they keep the GOT people and JK Rowling far far away. Far away.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ookiimarukochan posted:

I feel like those last 2 statements are probably connected?

I've read all the discworld books and I enjoy the watch. Probably the show I most look forward to weekly currently

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I'll have to think about the question longer. But while it's in the air, I just wanted to emphasize how loving good Galavant is.

Galavant is loving amazing and probably one of my top 10 shows of all time. Alan Menken rocks so much. I still have a good ten-ish Galavant songs on my Spotify playlist.

“What Is This Feeling” is a legit awesome number.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

I'm enjoying this season more than the previous 2, but this is a show that needed the old ~22 episode seasons, because you aren't wrong, and a lack of focus was a problem before this season hit the gas on the plot.

Also, Tress MacNeill is a national treasure. Not this nation either, a good one.

I agree with all of this post very much

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"The Watch" is definitely odd and I think I'm enjoying it. I know that Rhianna Pratchett stated it shared "no DNA with my father's Watch." But if it's fun it's fun and I'm not going to hold using a name against it if it's a really lose adaptation.

My main issue is presentation. BBC-A's sound mix remains as terrible as ever (along with their feed just in general being bottom barrel dogshit overcompressed DNR'd to hell). The on demand version is a bit better, but their 30fps delivery is jarring for something that appears to be filmed in 1080i50. Sound is at least a bit better OnDemand so I have a better chance of understanding someone without the soundtrack blaring out of the rear speakers like the BBC-A broadcast version.

It's loving 2021 and we shouldn't have to be dealing with such bullshit distribution anymore. I'm tempted to drop $20 on it on Vudu for better quality, but that didn't work out to my advantage for Doctor Who last year which looked just a cruddy with a purchased version. The brits need to get their next gen programming workflows sorted.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
After trying to avoid it for years I recently saw an episode of "Dr Pimple Popper" and it turns out my brain is one of those broken ones that finds it satisfying to watch.

But I guess the show got demoted to streaming only and it was replaced on the schedule by some foot doctor show today. I watched for a little bit and was fine with ingrown nails but then they did foot surgery on a guy and they showed them literally peeling the skin off his big toe to expose the bone and I cannot watch that. Just horrific.

Edit: NOW THEY ARE SHOWING AN AMPUTATION OF A BABY'S TOES. NO NO NO NO. I'M SURE HE NEEDS IT DONE BUT NO NO NO NO!

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 25, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zero One posted:

[deeply upsetting poo poo]

wtf

How is that a show.

I don't like it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Wait, The Watch finally came out????????

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes, it premiered in late December on BBC America.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Open Source Idiom posted:

wtf

How is that a show.

I don't like it.

Some time in the 2000s TLC really ran with their slate of gross surgery shows and turned into the voyeur sideshow channel with poo poo like this, "my 700 lb life," dwarves, and families that had way too many children. Some of it is really ghoulish. Not the pimple show, that's just gross, the shows where the entire premise is "hey look at this person! they're different! lol!"

E: that being said, I hope they got paid well for being in the tlc circus, except the Duggars, gently caress them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Dr. Pimple Popper was the 2nd most watched showing during the Super Bowl last year which is kind of funny.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Annabel Pee posted:

How about Waldo?

In one S4 episode he's even wearing a red and white striped sweater. That's who he reminds me of anyway

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hawkperson posted:

Galavant is loving amazing and probably one of my top 10 shows of all time. Alan Menken rocks so much. I still have a good ten-ish Galavant songs on my Spotify playlist.

“What Is This Feeling” is a legit awesome number.

Thirded. The soundtrack is regularly in rotation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up for like the three people who like anime but haven't watched it yet but the first season of Demon Slayer is now on Netflix.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thats me!

I should find out why that movie toppled Totoro in Japan finally, i guess.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Promised Neverland is up, too. I should rewatch it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

After sitting on it for years and years for no real reason, I finally watched the Veronica Mars movie and drat do I need somewhere to just complain. It was fun enough in parts, but it was deeply upsetting seeing her just trash her entire life for her EPIC LOVE STORY PAIRING that she hasn't seen in literally 8 years. I could excuse that (namely because you know . . . Piz sucks), but she torpedos her entire loving career. You're about to be a lawyer, you do know that there's discovery and a trial and these things take months and you don't need to solve this over the weekend right? Even then, whatever to all of that. But gently caress spending the entire movie setting up the constant comparison of being a PI essentially being her version of alcoholism which she has personal experience seeing its impact, and then ending the movie with her leaning back in a chair with a smile saying "I'm an addict . . . but that's OK because I'm high functioning!" and then roll credits.

I hears the Hulu season is better than this, but geez this just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The movie was a waste of time plot wise too since I don't even remember who killed the singer. I think they were pretty open about just being an excuse to make fan service because of kickstarter.

I did enjoy the Hulu season but Logan never makes sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whatever, just give me more Ryan Hansen as Dick.

Also Dr Pimple Popper is an incredible feelngood show. Every episode has at least one person break down in joy at seeing their weird skin thing removed.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Watch is... hm.

I don't understand why they made the tall, non-bearded trans woman Cheery. Besides Cheery being a dwarf and bearded in the books, her whole deal was that she was defying dwarfish tradition by wearing feminine things.

So, it sorta makes sense to have her be trans, but also makes no sense at all. And casting someone that's literally as tall as Carrot is just... nonsensical. If you're gonna do all that, why not just... make her not a dwarf, just a human trans woman?

Dormer as Vimes is pretty fantastic though

Despite being wildly uneven, there's definitely enough charm to keep me watching. Just... so many odd decisions, especially since Rihanna was so heavily involved.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, Vimes is amazing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, Matt Berry as a talking sword.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm watching a new documentary on the Church of the Subgenius on Amazon and... I had no idea that Nick Offerman was one! I knew Penn and Teller were. Lots of celebrities talking about the deeper non-joke within the joke religion.

Especially relevant in the age of Q wackos

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

So, it sorta makes sense to have her be trans, but also makes no sense at all.

She was more or less finding out about her gender in Ankh-Morpork, so I've accepted it making sense, but yeah.

Simone Magus posted:

Dormer as Vimes is pretty fantastic though

Especially when he doesn't do those weird overblown facial expressions. I don't get the point of those. But when he acts as a human from time to time, it works really well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Started watching Search Party since it's all anyone is posting about anymore. By episode 3 I was all 'how does this show have multiple seasons' but by the season finale it was more :magical:.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 26, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

MiddleOne posted:

Started watching Search Party since it's all anyone is posting about anymore. By episode 3 I was all 'how does this show have multiple seasons' but by the season finale it was more :magical:.

Yeah. How it all unfolds is bonkers.

Between that and Servant I've been doing a lot of :stonk: myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SunshineDanceParty posted:

So just curious but question for the group. What's the show you can point to that was exactly what you want from a tv show? Doesn't need to be the best but that show nailed what you wanted.

For me it's Galavant and I know nothing like it is coming around for a very long time. I enjoy the other musical shows that have come out since but Galavant had a tone and cast that hit me perfectly. And that's alright I got two seasons of my perfect show.

Pillars of the Earth was extremely satisfying for me.