Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Actually I just remembered there's this awesome guy in the retro rpg thread named Boldor who tears apart old games and knows literally everything about their inner workings, ask him how Pool of Radiance calculates encounters because it's one of the best D&D games ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GorfZaplen posted:

A good rule of thumb is to roughly match the party's hp totals as a starting point. If all else fails just steal encounters from a video game they'll never know.

Or use random tables and see what happens.

https://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive.php?sectioninit=SE&fileid=400

Here's one with every 2e monster book ever all crammed together

Oh, I was talking about random tables. Like, looking at the back of the 1e DMG, page 175 has the Monster Level I table, and say, kobolds are found in groups of 6-18, but my question is how was 6-18 determined? It feels like there's a pattern there, some sort of method to the madness, bit I'm certainly not going to intuit the maths behind it. HP totals seems useful, that should help, 'specially for crafted encounters.

Compilation's cool, I remember checking it out a while ago, but it's far from every 2e monster book. I'm trying to get a C&C game off the ground, but I also decided to use 1e/2e for monsters and treasure and poo poo, and while I'm mostly enjoying it, sometimes I miss the polish from 3e.

Black August posted:

I love FLUMPHS

I'll fight anyone who talks poo poo about flumphs.

Edit:

GorfZaplen posted:

Actually I just remembered there's this awesome guy in the retro rpg thread named Boldor who tears apart old games and knows literally everything about their inner workings, ask him how Pool of Radiance calculates encounters because it's one of the best D&D games ever made

That sounds like it could work! "And I got this bit working by asking someone how a computer game handled it" is, frankly, on point by now with how much poo poo I've scavenged from scraps I've found online.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Epic.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I've never played D&D, I've always used GURPS

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I misunderstood this thread, only now realizing it was a tabletop RPG thread. I was confused when there was no boardgameposting at all.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

just talk about board games as well. who cares?

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

I just realized I've been playing Evolution:Climate wrong. It is a game where you evolve different species based on trait cards and try to get as much food as possible. Really great concept.

While searching for a picture I saw that the green and brown population/body size counters doesn't need to fill up your species board.

It is a beautiful looking game too

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

me and my friends have been playing warhammer 40k rpgs (NOT the wargame) for like a decade and the setting is so dumb it's impossible to play as anything but a dark ultraviolence comedy, it's a lot of fun. it's like uhhhhhh if call of cthulhu was superjail

edit: if you want a big board game that's like an rpg (and still kinda complicated to run but less so) but doesn't need a dungeon master to shoulder all the work, gloomhaven is a lot of fun

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 23, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've been told you ideally need like 7 ppl to get gloomhaven to work, is that true?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I've been told you ideally need like 7 ppl to get gloomhaven to work, is that true?

lol no we play with like 3-5 and even with 3 it's good. I'd say you do probably want 4 tho

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

4 is the good number, it scales down to 2 and there are 1-player missions that look cool once your guy hits level 5

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ive been trying to get my d&d group into it but they're burned out from already playing it with other groups. Maybe I can talk them into Hero Quest, which I will be receiving after backing the Kickstarter in an early fit of COVID madness

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mordekai posted:

I just realized I've been playing Evolution:Climate wrong. It is a game where you evolve different species based on trait cards and try to get as much food as possible. Really great concept.

While searching for a picture I saw that the green and brown population/body size counters doesn't need to fill up your species board.

It is a beautiful looking game too

evolutions great, not too long for matches either which is nice for people who aren’t as big into boardgames

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

me and my friends have been playing warhammer 40k rpgs (NOT the wargame) for like a decade and the setting is so dumb it's impossible to play as anything but a dark ultraviolence comedy, it's a lot of fun. it's like uhhhhhh if call of cthulhu was superjail

yeah lol i had a great laugh playing a kroot mercenary on rogue trader who just loving ate corpse parts after every fight because they have a cannibal culture and absorbed dead dna

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thinking of having two more kids so I have a full Hero Quest group on snow days.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

catlord posted:

Oh, I was talking about random tables. Like, looking at the back of the 1e DMG, page 175 has the Monster Level I table, and say, kobolds are found in groups of 6-18, but my question is how was 6-18 determined? It feels like there's a pattern there, some sort of method to the madness, bit I'm certainly not going to intuit the maths behind it. HP totals seems useful, that should help, 'specially for crafted encounters.

Compilation's cool, I remember checking it out a while ago, but it's far from every 2e monster book. I'm trying to get a C&C game off the ground, but I also decided to use 1e/2e for monsters and treasure and poo poo, and while I'm mostly enjoying it, sometimes I miss the polish from 3e.

I'll fight anyone who talks poo poo about flumphs.

Edit:

That sounds like it could work! "And I got this bit working by asking someone how a computer game handled it" is, frankly, on point by now with how much poo poo I've scavenged from scraps I've found online.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

2 years ago I finished up a 7-year full campaign which was really cool and something I will never do again

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my first d&d campaign I played in started with five people in 2002 and three of us are still playing together. one of the original guys played a dwarf whose name was just his name backwards, and all he did was say "roight!" in a bad cockney accent, so it's not surprising he gave it up.

the other guy who quit got into a huge fight with the DM after an incident still spoken of in hushed tones in that friend group as "tomatogate."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

thinking of having two more kids so I have a full Hero Quest group on snow days.

Daughters' birthday is coming up and my sister told me she already bought a D&D starter set for them so I need to learn to DM.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pharmaskittle posted:

Every story I've heard makes it sound like they accidentally made Paranoia 40k. Then they made an Imperial Guard book and intentionally made Paranoia 40k?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i've played a lot of D&D 5e these last few years and have gotten really sick of it. then i got into old-school revival games. Dungeon Crawl Classics is a really pulpy and wild OSR game that reinvigorated me and my players' interest. usually, you start out with a bunch of level 0 peasants tackling a challenge that is far above their level. everything is completely randomized except alignment and name basically, and i've found it really works, even for groups used to meticulously crafting their own special hero main character. just like randomization in videogames can pave the way for emergent storytelling, the same can go for tabletop rpgs. the magic system is completely crazy as well. check it out if you love old school pulp and want a change of pace from regular D&D/5e.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

catlord posted:

Every story I've heard makes it sound like they accidentally made Paranoia 40k. Then they made an Imperial Guard book and intentionally made Paranoia 40k?

I mean kind of, I never really got into paranoia because it seemed a little too monkey cheese. like, if your group is gonna get silly they're gonna get silly, the material doesn't have to also be like that. Only War (the imperial guard one) is probably the best iteration of the system before they rebooted the first book with Dark Heresy 2 and went more or less classless.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Getting dead drunk in the first fifteen minutes and crashing head first through the table after standing up to threaten someone, splitting it in half and sending pieces flying.

lmfao

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

evolutions great, not too long for matches either which is nice for people who aren’t as big into boardgames

Yeah.

I can also recommend another beautiful game: Wingspan

Its a game about making the best bird sanctuary by picking from a deck with 170 unique north american bird species, each with their own special ability.

My only gripe is that the egg combo strategy is a bit OP.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

i've played a lot of D&D 5e these last few years and have gotten really sick of it. then i got into old-school revival games. Dungeon Crawl Classics is a really pulpy and wild OSR game that reinvigorated me and my players' interest. usually, you start out with a bunch of level 0 peasants tackling a challenge that is far above their level. everything is completely randomized except alignment and name basically, and i've found it really works, even for groups used to meticulously crafting their own special hero main character. just like randomization in videogames can pave the way for emergent storytelling, the same can go for tabletop rpgs. the magic system is completely crazy as well. check it out if you love old school pulp and want a change of pace from regular D&D/5e.

dungeon crawl classics been one of my favourite games for years now, it is probably one of the best things to pull out if you need a oneshot because the nature of funnels where people have 5-8 randomly generated characters running through what is effectively a death trap, and anyone who survives becomes level 1 and instantly becomes a beast is just very satisfying in a sort of roguelike way

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Doing the groundwork for a campaign and its sessions is really and uniquely rewarding if your players are into it, I've been running a couple of them for a little over a year on roll20 and it's definitely a highlight of my week.

I do wish people were a little more willing to branch out from whatever newest edition of dnd or pathfinder though, i want to try different systems but newer players especially have really wanted to stick to the big names in my experience :<

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Also i love gloomhaven but some of those encounters give me stress headaches lol, i crutch hard on cragheart ftw

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seizon posted:

Doing the groundwork for a campaign and its sessions is really and uniquely rewarding if your players are into it, I've been running a couple of them for a little over a year on roll20 and it's definitely a highlight of my week.

I do wish people were a little more willing to branch out from whatever newest edition of dnd or pathfinder though, i want to try different systems but newer players especially have really wanted to stick to the big names in my experience :<

I think the problem with a lot of systems is that they don't scale much, like I like a lot of the FATE based stuff, but almost all of it seems designed for one shots. Mutants and Masterminds just like, isn't designed well, which is a shame because it's so fun to make those kinds of characters

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mordekai posted:

Yeah.

Its a game about making the best bird sanctuary by picking from a deck with 170 unique north american bird species, each with their own special ability.

i made my mom a steam account so we can play the steam version of wingspan together, its a really good video game translation but it doesn't have the european expansion

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My fiancee and I got really into Terra Mystica for all of 2018. We got halfway through designing an expansion of an extra nine races themed around Universal monsters that we still plan on finishing.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

My fiancee and I got really into Terra Mystica for all of 2018. We got halfway through designing an expansion of an extra nine races themed around Universal monsters that we still plan on finishing.

That is v. cool!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tabletop simulator is probably the best value purchase on steam I've ever made. Would you like to play every tabletop game ever made with any one of your friends no matter where they are with an intuitive and convenient interface for $15? Don't mind if I do

Tts kicks rear end

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mordekai posted:

Yeah.

dear god

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Its probably the best board game I own, insane replayability.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Is tabletop simulator a one time purchase or do you have to spend extra for the games?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Klowner posted:

tabletop simulator is probably the best value purchase on steam I've ever made. Would you like to play every tabletop game ever made with any one of your friends no matter where they are with an intuitive and convenient interface for $15? Don't mind if I do

Tts kicks rear end

the crazy thing is that there are some board games like arkham horror or whatever that are basically all set up that nobody in their right mind would play until someone created a computer program that would set up the game for you. tts ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Is tabletop simulator a one time purchase or do you have to spend extra for the games?

you supposedly have to spend extra for some games, only cool-style psycho nerds have put together free modules for basically everything that you can usually find prety easily

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

herculon posted:

there's a whole bunch of dlc of officially licensed recreations of games but realistically you're going to be playing free fan-made recreations instead so it's basically a one-time purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

the crazy thing is that there are some board games like arkham horror or whatever that are basically all set up that nobody in their right mind would play until someone created a computer program that would set up the game for you. tts ftw

the guy that put together the twilight imperium tts is insanely cool, it automates like all of the busy work and must have been a bitch to script. it seriously shaves off like four hours of mid-game cleanup