Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If it actually happens I will stop giving the Jays a pass and go all in on how Canada has somehow been even shittier towards their native population than we've been in recent memory, which is a hell of an achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Jays going in on Bryant means they're already giving up on Vladito in the field, right? Or does it just mean Canada's Rowdy Baseball Son is not long for this league and Vlad goes to 1B?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

The Jays going in on Bryant means they're already giving up on Vladito in the field, right? Or does it just mean Canada's Rowdy Baseball Son is not long for this league and Vlad goes to 1B?

xXx420W33dLord69xXx says that Vladito is coming back to the Cubs in return

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would never believe someone called assman

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just need to know if Wetbutt23 backs up the rumor.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

n/m I just checked that guy's twitter account and he's literally nobody, might as well have quoted xXx420W33dLord69xXx for all that their insight into trade rumors means jack poo poo.

has KatyPerrysBootyhole checked in yet?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Have the cardinals gotten any worse this offseason or have they treaded water

I feel certain they are going to blunder into the playoffs on the back of a weak division and wreak havoc

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Only way I'd be even remotely ok with a Blue Jays trade is if we get Austin Martin.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If the Cubs trade Bryant and Hendricks, I will simply no longer root for them. Honestly, the timing would be sweet to transition right into Blue Jays fandom

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Jays have a whole team of young likable players, S-Tier uniforms, the very real possibility of stomping the Yanks all year, and they’re from Canada. Hard not to root for them imo.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I hope the Jays get Paxton, he's Canadian and a couple years ago he became the first non-American in the MLB to throw a no-hitter in home soil.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

Have the cardinals gotten any worse this offseason or have they treaded water

I feel certain they are going to blunder into the playoffs on the back of a weak division and wreak havoc

The Cardinals are in a weird space where they ostensibly jettisoned Wong to re-sign Molina and Wanwright, but apparently neither are happy with the offers the Cardinals gave them so :shrug:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Good morning to my soon to be best friends Kris Bryant and Kyle Hendriks.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

The Cardinals are in a weird space where they ostensibly jettisoned Wong to re-sign Molina and Wanwright, but apparently neither are happy with the offers the Cardinals gave them so :shrug:

There is no way they let Wong go to sign god drat Wainwright and Molina. Letting Wong go was strictly idiot owner money saving. Nothing to do with Molina/Waino.

They literally had all three last year for $35m. Wong's "raise" was like $1m. They weren't giving Waino/Molina $35m combined. Hell, they could have picked Wong's option and given Waino/Molina each $10m and it would have been less overall money spent on those three players than last year.

The Cardinals are cheap as gently caress, have a medicore above .500 team that keeps limping into the playoffs and getting worked. Ownership is happy. They are going to try and do it again with *less* money spent. They are sitting at about $120m in payroll right now with no real intent to spend anything big. It's absolute dogshit.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 25, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Cards don't need to work hard to compete when the rest of the division is in a race to sell off every good player they have

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1353752361504825350

WTAF

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

To save $11m they let a second baseman with a top 5 OBP the last 4 years and probably one of the best gloves at the position walk away from team. It's literally indefensible.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gotta stay below the tax!!!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Lol they traded Ottavino to make room for Gardner’s contract

Edit: https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/1353725967311769601?s=20

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 25, 2021

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I think it’s clear that teams value pop more and defense less and replacing wong with edman isn’t the dumbest thing in the world even tho I also would have kept wong

Obviously lots of teams trying to not spend money but nobody else has signed wong to that much money yet

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees needed more RPs, not less lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

uggy posted:

I think it’s clear that teams value pop more and defense less and replacing wong with edman isn’t the dumbest thing in the world even tho I also would have kept wong

Obviously lots of teams trying to not spend money but nobody else has signed wong to that much money yet

Who is playing third base?

The move would have made a lot more sense if Nolan Gorman was coming up at any point this season, but that won't happen. One more year for Wong would have been perfect. It literally just doesn't make any sense. It just made the team worse and they aren't going to sign anyone to make it better with regards to the infield (or anywhere really).

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 25, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Prayers up to Davey Johnson battling COVID.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Max Muncy Appreciation Zone

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poque posted:

lmao this team is going to make obscene amounts of money when in-person attendance returns and they have no players to pay

If they paid their players they'd still make obscene amounts of money. Just a bit less obscene.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Max Muncy Appreciation Zone

"Go get it out of the ocean" will make me always appreciate Max Muncy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It begins

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1353738382917079041

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The situation here in FL isn’t much better

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Imagine how easily baseball could acquire vaccine doses for all major league players (and coaches, umpires, etc) if they wanted to. They could just straight up bribe a pharma company to do it, the number of doses is a drop in the bucket compared to what they're churning out right now.

But I am positive the league doesn't give a poo poo and would rather use this as an excuse to suppress payroll again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Lol they traded Ottavino to make room for Gardner’s contract

Edit: https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/1353725967311769601?s=20

It is clearly a money move but also man they must be low on Ottavino's chances to return to form. Makes me sad all around.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Thom P. Tiers posted:

There is no way they let Wong go to sign god drat Wainwright and Molina. Letting Wong go was strictly idiot owner money saving. Nothing to do with Molina/Waino.

They literally had all three last year for $35m. Wong's "raise" was like $1m. They weren't giving Waino/Molina $35m combined. Hell, they could have picked Wong's option and given Waino/Molina each $10m and it would have been less overall money spent on those three players than last year.

The Cardinals are cheap as gently caress, have a medicore above .500 team that keeps limping into the playoffs and getting worked. Ownership is happy. They are going to try and do it again with *less* money spent. They are sitting at about $120m in payroll right now with no real intent to spend anything big. It's absolute dogshit.

It's gonna be even better when all the dead weight money of Carpenter and Fowler and whoever else comes off the books next year (I think?) and they'll find some excuse to continue not spending any money.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

It is clearly a money move but also man they must be low on Ottavino's chances to return to form. Makes me sad all around.

Otto is built to pitch against the Yankee lineup lol

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1353776275245178883

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mother fucker. Shoot the expanded playoffs into the sun.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Joel Sherman wrote the other day that the Red Sox are doing short term deals hoping to compete if Sale and Eduardo Rodriguez are healthy, JD Martinez bounces back, etc. And if that doesn't work out, maybe they blow it up at the deadline. Trading for Ottavino seems to fit that plan.

Very curious to see how ERod comes back from myocarditis. He was one of the first athletes diagnosed with it after getting Covid, I think.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sounds like the union is wising up a bit

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The regular season is boring and people love the excitement of a tournament. I get it. But you can’t just do a big knockout stage because then everything’s over in two months. You need to draw it out. I think MLB should scrap the regular season in favor of adding a group play stage to the start of the postseason. But how many games should each team play...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The yankees just giving a pretty good pitcher to the red sox for literally cash seems like a pretty low point in the health of baseball as a business.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Late to the party but if the Cubs lose not one but both Kyles in the offsason I will go completely apeshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

bawfuls posted:

sounds like the union is wising up a bit

Which means we're likely to see a doubling down of the owners PR efforts for the next month, such as:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1353733619953643524?s=20