Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm playing 6 for the first time and OMFG HELENA what the gently caress is wrong with you? Deborah is clearly not in the mood for a hug.

I'm enjoying this game, I see what people mean when they say the gameplay itself is great when you're allowed to play it and not yoinked into QTE-ville. Only on Leon chapter 2 at the moment, havent done any others yet but definitely found Chris the easiest to use so far in Mercs.

I'm playing this simultaneously with 7 which is also new to me, however the intensity of that plays well against the lunacy of 6, totally different ends of the RE spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm playing 6 for the first time and OMFG HELENA what the gently caress is wrong with you? Deborah is clearly not in the mood for a hug.
Seriously, that entire chapter was frustrating as hell. She's dead you idiot! Start shooting!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

edit: guess that confirms the guns :eyepop:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Must be an expensive set if I get 4 guns and a grenade launcher with it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm enjoying this game, I see what people mean when they say the gameplay itself is great when you're allowed to play it and not yoinked into QTE-ville. Only on Leon chapter 2 at the moment, havent done any others yet but definitely found Chris the easiest to use so far in Mercs.

I'm playing this simultaneously with 7 which is also new to me, however the intensity of that plays well against the lunacy of 6, totally different ends of the RE spectrum.

it's kind of a shame how helena is relegated to puzzle caddy for so many parts because she has the very cool devil may cry shotgun and she does a really cool breakdancing quickshot with it but her character is relegated to idiot sidekick

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's a nice coat. Too bad I have one pretty much like that already.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vikar Jerome posted:

They're toy replicas that you use to distract enemies as you stealth away.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Cardiovorax posted:

Seriously, that entire chapter was frustrating as hell. She's dead you idiot! Start shooting!

I enjoyed it, just finished the chapter and finally Helena has owned up. Got an A rank too which ain't bad!
I think cos I've come into this with zero expectations or hype I'm getting a lot more enjoyment than someone who was a fan way back in 2012. I'm probably pretty bad at these games but since I played REMAKE2 last year then the 3 remake I've become very into RE and am worming my way through all the ones on Steam picked up during various sales. I'd played 4 previously and again last year prior to 3make.
I had the original game director's cut waaay back on the ps1 but I never really 'got it' when I was a kid-I got as far as whenever the spiders were and had 1 acid round and no anything else and gave up. Remake is on my list to play at some point very soon but thought I'd play the more maligned ones first.

Mercs in 6 is fantastic though, way better than Raid in Rev2 which I was playing last week til I got the "gently caress you, controls won't work" bug at the final boss.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Oh, that's a lady holding a baby in that art book picture.

Looked like something else at first glance.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Vikar Jerome posted:

Cool. I hope that the expanded arsenal and ol Ethan’s jaunty look there are hinting at more of an action orientation and refined controls to match.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have a rank feeling the last act will be kind of dull, linear, inside a modern lab, and the big vampire lady will be killed off long before the credits.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I have a rank feeling the last act will be kind of dull, linear, inside a modern lab, and the big vampire lady will be killed off long before the credits.

I don't mind, as long as it's Werewolf Chris that kills her.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I don't mind, as long as it's Werewolf Chris that kills her.

I think Chris is more of a bear than a wolf

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Bearwolf Chris, then.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Late on this, probably, but I assume the thread's heard that M-Two is off the rumored RE4 remake and Capcom's primary dev team is now in charge. Is there a consumer survey or anything I can take to tell Capcom that I quite enjoyed RE3R and I just wanted more of it? I didn't mind the narrative or gameplay changes, but there's a reason no one was especially jazzed about Resistance, and I doubt I'm alone in saying I would rather have seen that dev time spent on adding the clock tower or Operation Mad Jackal to RE3R.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If there was I wouldn't tell you, because RE3make was Not Good and I dearly want RE4make to be as far from that as possible. :v:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Bearwolf Chris, then.

I am fully onboard with Bearwolf Chris.
RE/AC valhalla crossover when?
A small part of me hopes RE:verse will be fun for a couple hours, but given Resistance I'm not holding out much hope for that- tbh I'd rather they put that development effort into the main game, much as I loved RE3make (the only one I ran through again straight after finishing) the time/money that went into Resistance could have elevated it from "good if it's on sale" to GOTY, and I hope that RE8 doesn't have the same issue.

On a tangent, is it possible to play Silent Hill 2 or 3 on PC these days? I got a hankering to play them again. I do have a PS3 kicking around too, mostly for MGS purposes but if there's a decent equivalent to the MGS HD collection for Silent Hill I'm in.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Captain Walker posted:

Late on this, probably, but I assume the thread's heard that M-Two is off the rumored RE4 remake and Capcom's primary dev team is now in charge. Is there a consumer survey or anything I can take to tell Capcom that I quite enjoyed RE3R and I just wanted more of it? I didn't mind the narrative or gameplay changes, but there's a reason no one was especially jazzed about Resistance, and I doubt I'm alone in saying I would rather have seen that dev time spent on adding the clock tower or Operation Mad Jackal to RE3R.

RE3R (are we really calling it that instead of R3make?) was just a worse RE2make in most ways. I don't think it was outright bad, but other than the better dodge button and how good it looked at times, it's just a bit bland. It didn't really identify the weaknesses of RE3 and improve upon them, nor did it see where it could effectively modernise without losing the spirit of the original. Even the zombies were worse.

If we never got RE2make, it would've been hailed as a classic. If RE2make, for some reason, came afterwards, both would be very highly regarded. But having the better one come before the worse one just leaves a poor taste in one's mouth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

NonzeroCircle posted:

Lol

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rather than quote myself from a page or two ago I’ll just summarize. I think Capcom is taking the wrong lesson from REmake3’s reception. Taken purely as a game REmake3 is fine, good, possibly even great depending on taste, but as a remake of RE3 it is not quite as good and when compared to REmake2 not as much “value” either. Entire sections either left out or cut, a linear design which neutered the Nemesis possibilities, no “decision points” to make minor changes to how things play out, and a multiplayer game no one be cared about instead of Mercenaries.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thOf7iu98c

I don't hate it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finished End of Zoe at an hour on the dot, 605 punches thrown. I forgot how goddamn fun and silly the last item pickup is. Man I wish it was longer, but I guess leaving you wanting more isn't the worst crime a game can commit.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I never played the original version of RE3. I loved the remake enough to play through in one sitting on launch day. I never touched the multiplayer thing. I was happy with it overall even if I recognize that it should have been a $30 with no multiplayer and probably would have been received better as it is.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
R3make was very good for what it was but it was just so barebones when compared with RE2R that I couldn’t help but be somewhat disappointed in it. Plus the game ends with a real wet fart that just kinda...happens, unlike OG RE3 and RE2R both of which end with a bang.

RE2R was so good that I played through it several times, I beat both scenarios for both character and even went out of my way to get S+ ranks for both characters on the hardest difficulties. I didn’t want it to end. R3make, on the other hand, I haven’t played through it since I beat it right after it was released.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, from the perspective of knowing almost exactly nothing about the original, I really liked most of 3make. It's just that there's not much there, five hours on my first bumbling, lost-half-the-time playthrough just doesn't justify that price. I mean, this run of 7 took me longer, and that was plowing through everything and mostly doing well at remembering where to go. $30 and I wouldn't be disappointed at it even as a follow-up to 2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RE3make is an okayish game, but a terrible remake, while RE2make is both an excellent game and and an excellent remake. Selling it at full price when it felt so much like add-on content for RE2make was really a mistake from the beginning.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wasn't it originally DLC for the remake of 2?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've heard it said, but they were developed concurrently pretty much from the start, so that could just as well be nothing more than a rumor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sheen Sheen posted:

R3make was very good for what it was but it was just so barebones when compared with RE2R that I couldn’t help but be somewhat disappointed in it. Plus the game ends with a real wet fart that just kinda...happens, unlike OG RE3 and RE2R both of which end with a bang.

RE2R was so good that I played through it several times, I beat both scenarios for both character and even went out of my way to get S+ ranks for both characters on the hardest difficulties. I didn’t want it to end. R3make, on the other hand, I haven’t played through it since I beat it right after it was released.

Agree with this. RE3 was fine. It just wasn't addicting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jill all but vanishes in the middle act of the game. There really should have been another full chapter of gameplay after the police station and before the bloodborne reject.

I thought.the unlock shop was neat but a better take on the system would have little to no grinding (kill 1000 enemies) and facilitate actual sequence breaking (being able to skip bosses or do poo poo out of order)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder if the RE3 remake was actually intended more for people like me who hadn't played the original version. I basically just know "Jill in the city with Nemesis chasing her and some Umbrella guys" which it delivered, so that there was anything missing largely passed me by other than having read wikis in the past to fill in the story.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
That reveal got me a hankering to play an RE. Should I replay 7 or 4, and if 4 what system has the better version, PS4 or Switch?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shiroc posted:

I wonder if the RE3 remake was actually intended more for people like me who hadn't played the original version. I basically just know "Jill in the city with Nemesis chasing her and some Umbrella guys" which it delivered, so that there was anything missing largely passed me by other than having read wikis in the past to fill in the story.
It wouldn't surprise me if Capcom was trying to hedge their bets by developing one remake along the new Resident Evil 7 line of sensibilities while developing the other to appeal to a hypothetical RE4-6 demographic of players. There's a clear split in design philosophies between the two, but both are also clearly based on a specific "generation" of RE games in how they approached things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fhqwhgads posted:

That reveal got me a hankering to play an RE. Should I replay 7 or 4, and if 4 what system has the better version, PS4 or Switch?

I'm playing BOTH at the moment. RE4 on Wii and RE7 on Xbone. Cause I'm hardcore like that.

:getin:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

I was gonna go with the por que no los dos? option as well. I think 4 is running the same basic version of 4 on both consoles, I've played on both and the only real difference I remember is that Switch gives you the portability option.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Original PC Ubisoft port of RE4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kibayasu posted:

Original PC Ubisoft port of RE4.

I was about to post the modded PC version is best. You're a monster.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Cardiovorax posted:

RE3make is an okayish game, but a terrible remake, while RE2make is both an excellent game and and an excellent remake. Selling it at full price when it felt so much like add-on content for RE2make was really a mistake from the beginning.

RE2 was a good game but as a remake I was disappointed at how much they left out from the original, mainly in terms of the differences between scenarios and the extent of the Leon and Claire interactions.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Cardiovorax posted:

"Stop it Debra! This isn't you!" she yells at naked tentacle monster that once was her sister

I always joke to myself during that part "Stop it! This isn't you! Blonde is totally not your color!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Huh, it's not perfect (the way his arms snap into animations and items just appear in his hands), but it works way better than I thought it would with Ethan's character model.