Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It depends on what's on the Felt FR60 - I googled one and it appears to have Shimano Claris, is that correct?

Ideally what you want to do is to put a cassette on there that's the same speed as your groupset, which in this case is 8. While that's not officially supported (afaik), there's plenty of reports of putting an 8 speed cassette on it with sufficient spacers and it working fine. If you're not confident with doing this, it's a quick job for someone with the right tools. Likewise if it's 9/10 speed (although those ARE officially supported)

right, so i buy another cassette and just leave it on... i assume changing cassettes is a little intensive and something you don't want to do every week

alternatively, how many parts are affected by putting on an 11 speed cassette and changing out the components to match it? my guess would be 'basically buy a new bike'

:edit:

Nevermind I'm just being stupid, I ordered a replacement 8 speed cassette (surprisingly hard to find on amazon!) it'll be here in a few weeks, once my trainer arrives end of Feb

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Blue On Blue posted:

right, so i buy another cassette and just leave it on... i assume changing cassettes is a little intensive and something you don't want to do every week

alternatively, how many parts are affected by putting on an 11 speed cassette and changing out the components to match it? my guess would be 'basically buy a new bike'

:edit:

Nevermind I'm just being stupid, I ordered a replacement 8 speed cassette (surprisingly hard to find on amazon!) it'll be here in a few weeks, once my trainer arrives end of Feb

You are going to need at least one spacer to get it to match the width of the 11 speed cassette you are replacing. It should be 1.8mm but I don’t know all the details about your bike/trainer

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I bought a Tacx Neo 2T because I am tired of my loud rear end Fluid 2 setup, and I look forward to it doing typical TACX things like completely making GBS threads the bed within a week.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Octopus Magic posted:

I bought a Tacx Neo 2T because I am tired of my loud rear end Fluid 2 setup, and I look forward to it doing typical TACX things like completely making GBS threads the bed within a week.

lol’d

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Octopus Magic posted:

I've had good luck with my Tacx hardware.

Tacx Fortius: 2007-2015. The software sucked, but the hardware was solid. The VR world would crash out once every 10 rides or so. The workout software never had a problem, but it was boring as hell.
Tacx Bushido: 2015-2020. I got this when I was accepted into the beta release of Zwift. The only problem I ever has was when my son dropped it onto a concrete floor and broke the resistance unit. Tacx sent me a new on for free. I sold it to a Zwift newbie, and he has already outgrown it and bought a direct drive system of some type.
Tacx Neo 2T: 2020-present. So far so good. I think it ran a bit low when compared to my crank based PM. But now the two seem to match up well. Again, I only use it on Zwift. I really like the more realistic inertia and the surface simulation gimmick.

Both the Bushido and Neo 2T worked well with PerfPro Studio for group workouts, but Covid put an end to that for now.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Time posted:

You are going to need at least one spacer to get it to match the width of the 11 speed cassette you are replacing. It should be 1.8mm but I don’t know all the details about your bike/trainer

Cheers. Am I to understand that the trainer comes with spacers ? Or do I need to purchase them separately

If so are they a common item I can get at any bike shop ?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Blue On Blue posted:

Cheers. Am I to understand that the trainer comes with spacers ? Or do I need to purchase them separately

If so are they a common item I can get at any bike shop ?

The trainer should have come with the spacer, but a shop probably has some lying around too.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
***zwifting intensifies***

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

***zwifting intensifies***

Lmao, I’ve gotta ask. You have a million bikes there which you could surely just hook one up to a direct drive trainer and be done with it. So, why the stages? I could see if your wife also uses it maybe, but is it just n+1?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Lmao, I’ve gotta ask. You have a million bikes there which you could surely just hook one up to a direct drive trainer and be done with it. So, why the stages? I could see if your wife also uses it maybe, but is it just n+1?

My wife in fact, also uses it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

It's a better experience than riding a bike slapped on a trainer.

1) It's based on their commercial spinbike chassis, weighs 130lbs and will. not. budge. when sprinting.
2) All the contact points are adjustable without tools, able to fit children or giants all the same.
3) Zero maintenance besides wiping down the enclosure. There's no chain to lube or replace when it gets worn. There's no chainrings or cassettes to wear out.
4) Integrated phone, tablet and bottle holders in locations that make sense for an indoor bike. USB ports for said phone and/or tablet.
5) Customizable shifting and gearing...up to 50 gears.
6) It's literally silent.
7) 50lb flywheel...it's the best feeling indoor training solution, better than a Lemond Revolution.
8) I train indoors a lot and there is no preventing corrosion on a regular bike. I currently own a generic aluminum shitbike and it is going to literally disintegrate around the bottom bracket after 4.5 years of use. I can't even adjust the limits on the FD because the screws have been replaced by rust that is shaped like a screw. Every single brazed-on piece is corroding, causing the paint to bubble. The StagesBike is made out of stainless steel.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's a better experience than riding a bike slapped on a trainer.

1) It's based on their commercial spinbike chassis, weighs 130lbs and will. not. budge. when sprinting.
2) All the contact points are adjustable without tools, able to fit children or giants all the same.
3) Zero maintenance besides wiping down the enclosure. There's no chain to lube or replace when it gets worn. There's no chainrings or cassettes to wear out.
4) Integrated phone, tablet and bottle holders in locations that make sense for an indoor bike. USB ports for said phone and/or tablet.
5) Customizable shifting and gearing...up to 50 gears.
6) It's literally silent.
7) 50lb flywheel...it's the best feeling indoor training solution, better than a Lemond Revolution.
8) I train indoors a lot and there is no preventing corrosion on a regular bike. I currently own a generic aluminum shitbike and it is going to literally disintegrate around the bottom bracket after 4.5 years of use. I can't even adjust the limits on the FD because the screws have been replaced by rust that is shaped like a screw. Every single brazed-on piece is corroding, causing the paint to bubble. The StagesBike is made out of stainless steel.

So n+1 in your case unless your parents use it. I could see getting one if my wife used it like e. Pilot.

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 16, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
MARK II

A bit bigger, longer bolts and some carpet spikes on the bottom. Not going anywhere! Now I can fit my fan in front when I ride and hit my body and face and not just freeze my toes off! (don't yell at me)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You're going to want to turn that block around I think

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Vando posted:

You're going to want to turn that block around I think

Nope. He's good. There is nothing pushing him forward. Gravity is resolved perpendicular down to the floor. Pedaling produces an opposite effect vertically, it is acting to lift the bike and rotate counter clockwise from our viewpoint.

Of course if he lunges forward, there could be a problem.

Or maybe my analysis is wrong.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Nope. He's good. There is nothing pushing him forward. Gravity is resolved perpendicular down to the floor. Pedaling produces an opposite effect vertically, it is acting to lift the bike and rotate counter clockwise from our viewpoint.

Subtle never done a big sprint on a trainer post.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Thank you. Additionally, I tested stability by balancing my hips on the handlebars and leaning over almost horizontally, it's not going anywhere unless I can simultaneously lift the front and the back.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
These tests you're doing for stability aren't putting the same forces on the bike/trainer/block that a hard effort would produce. Version 2.0 is a step in the right direction. Keep at it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
At the most pessimistic, I'm confident that If I do begin putting loads on it that will cause it to become unstable, I will notice before it goes out from under me. I'll let you all know if anything changes.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Can you at least post your rides here just to assuage our worries?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
First ride in Zwift.

Did a full sprint and nearly threw up in my sink. Man my cardio is hosed.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

rngd in the womb posted:

Can you at least post your rides here just to assuage our worries?

For real? Either way, my zwift profile is in my post history in this thread. Friend me up, let's ride! If you're lucky I'll crash in front of you!

Edit: I'm training from the opposite direction of the above poster. My cardio is pretty good, my bike muscles are catching up!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Before I put 120lbs of sandbags on my trainer’s legs, it would walk forward almost 2ft in a 15 second max sprint. I don’t think he’s in danger of much trainer movement if he’s just doing aerobic efforts.

However square stand that isn’t locked in place isn’t ideal. If he moves the bars at all, he’s going to damage the floor.

Also a slightly off-center fan position is optimal for blowing air across your torso rather than just smashing air into it perpendicularly.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 19, 2021

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Hi, instead of building your own, why don't you just buy something like this for $9:

https://www.amazon.com/bike-trainer-front-wheel-block/s?k=bike+trainer+front+wheel+block

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

Hi, instead of building your own, why don't you just buy something like this for $9:

https://www.amazon.com/bike-trainer-front-wheel-block/s?k=bike+trainer+front+wheel+block

He doesn't have his front wheel on because there's not space to have both the front wheel and the fan in front of the bike. I would probably just move the fan over and leave the front wheel on but if he's gonna keep it how it is it seems like a good idea to affix one of these to the block, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Quick+Release+Fork+Mount+Bike+Block+135&i=sporting&ref=nb_sb_noss or get a pedestal fan so there's room for a fan and the front wheel.

Dren fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 19, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Shadowhand00 posted:

Those are wheel blocks. LRADIKAL is building a fork stand. Wanting a fork stand is a perfectly ok thing. It's the implementations we've seen so far that are cause for concern.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
We still on this OSHA kick?

Just wait to see if he stops posting and assume he died.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dren posted:

He doesn't have his front wheel on because there's not space to have both the front wheel and the fan in front of the bike. I would probably just move the fan over and leave the front wheel on but if he's gonna keep it how it is it seems like a good idea to affix one of these to the block, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Quick+Release+Fork+Mount+Bike+Block+135&i=sporting&ref=nb_sb_noss or get a pedestal fan so there's room for a fan and the front wheel.

The fourth one down is exactly what I have.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Is there a trick with Zwift to improve hill climb performance with a wheel on trainer?

I've been pushing myself a bit more during the tour de zwift, however the sadists there seem to think every route requires 15+ minutes of climbing an incline at 4 mph. I have been doing decent keeping up with groups at ~250W, but as soon as the grade kicks in I slow to a crawl and people I've passed whiz right by me up the hill.

I have a friend with a smart trainer who tells me it sort of does the same thing to him there too so I'm hopeful there's some slider or setting that I can adjust to make the hill climb a bit more tolerable.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Partycat posted:

Is there a trick with Zwift to improve hill climb performance with a wheel on trainer?

I've been pushing myself a bit more during the tour de zwift, however the sadists there seem to think every route requires 15+ minutes of climbing an incline at 4 mph. I have been doing decent keeping up with groups at ~250W, but as soon as the grade kicks in I slow to a crawl and people I've passed whiz right by me up the hill.

I have a friend with a smart trainer who tells me it sort of does the same thing to him there too so I'm hopeful there's some slider or setting that I can adjust to make the hill climb a bit more tolerable.

Depends on what you're asking.

If you have a "smart" wheel-on trainer, like a Kickr Snap, and you're finding that the resistance is ramping up too much on climbs, you can lower the "trainer difficulty" slider in the Zwift settings window. At max, this is supposed to mimic the resistance at given grade. Ex: a 6% grade would feel like a 6% grade. At half way, a 6% grade would feel like a 3% grade. When off, a 6% grade feels the same as a flat road, like it would on a "dumb" trainer.

Note that that's just what you'd "feel" at the pedals, not the speed your avatar is traveling. In Zwift, your power, weight, and grade of the road are the biggest factors in how fast you move. Bike and wheel choice (some bikes are better at flat roads, or hills, or gravel), road surface and whether you're in a pack or drafting, make up the rest.

If what you're saying is that you're doing 250W and you start getting passed once you hit a hill, it's because the number that matters when climbing is W/kg. If you're doing 250W and weigh 100kg, and the other rider is doing 250W and "weighs" 50kg, their 5W/kg is going to blow past your 2.5W/kg. The rider list on the right shows these next under the name of each rider, so you can see what others are doing. If this is the problem, you're going to have to put out more power, tell Zwift you weigh less, or both.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

spoof posted:

Depends on what you're asking.
tell Zwift you weigh less,

The Orange County Professional Indoor Cycling Team approves of this method.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Does an ERG mode workout at a single power level the whole time hurt more than an outdoor effort of the same duration and average wattage? It sure feels that way to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I find them tougher for a variety of reasons :shrug:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You can't get micro rests in erg mode the way you would with a 'normal' average power output, also it may feel harder if you're someone who finds it hard to change position while at a set power.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The main one for me is that it's much less fun than riding your bike outside

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The main one for me is that it's much less fun than riding your bike outside

agree. I should’ve clarified that by “harder” I meant my legs hurt more when I was finished the ERG mode effort.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
250W is also a pretty fast group ride...if someone is doing 250W in the blob, the people at the front are probably doing >300W. On flat ground, you have the benefit of the draft. When the road tilts up, your pace slows, the draft effect diminishes and you'll have to increase your power to keep up even before taking into account power-to-weight differences.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

Does an ERG mode workout at a single power level the whole time hurt more than an outdoor effort of the same duration and average wattage? It sure feels that way to me.

ERG, even at high flywheel speeds is applying a constant braking effect. It feels more like climbing than a flat road, or really it feels like dragging your brakes outdoors. Aside from the lack of micro-rests vando mentioned, you end up elongating your pedal stroke through the bottom and over the top. That will leverage muscles/muscle fibers that maybe aren't as developed as the ones you use more frequently/intensely.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It might just be the rides I'm signing up for as well. Mostly the frustration has been with the tour de zwift, but I wandered on to the Alpe and committed myself to it before I realized how long I was going to be there spinning along at 3 mph, with pretty much the same results.

I'll try and mind the W/kg next time to see how that looks. It sure feels like anyone out there can breeze right by me when I'm on an incline, and I find it rather discouraging. Trying to bust rear end to keep up with whatever position I'm in or pod I'm with is the motivator and it's just gone in those cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bear in mind that it's just a mathematical fact that you're going to see a much larger proportion of riders who are going faster than you than the ones going a similar speed. This is doubly true on climbs as the speed differential is much higher.