Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Red posted:

That's not bad, but still more expensive than Netflix was like 5 years ago when combined with DailyMotion.

Has anyone ever clarified how workers get paid from streaming?

I'm going to guess the answer is "they don't, lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Red posted:

CM Punk left before he could ask Vince, so Randy lost interest.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Red posted:

Which workers?

bartok
May 10, 2006

This makes those Covid firings even more funny in a tragic gently caress this company kind of way

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here’s an angle I hadn’t considered: someone I know who works in the streaming biz said this might end up in some of the people working on WWE’s end being cut because Peacock would be taking over those operations. Capitalism, baby

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

WWE being the canary in the cole mine of capitalism as usual.

We're all doomed

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WWE was never going to start to fall until the Raw and Smackdown deals come up (and if they would get bad deals after).

All this means is that even more of WWE's revenue is dependent on some other company thinking their product has worth, and their major shows lose even more value.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

WWE being the canary in the cole mine of capitalism as usual.

We're all doomed

Now I'm no expert, but I think you have to get deeper than six feet for it to count as a mine.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wwe is doing better than ever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

wwe is doing better than ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGY1J9XTXuw

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Meaning wrestlers? It has been clarified.

They don't.

What the gently caress. Royalties were a big part of their income.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Red posted:

What the gently caress. Royalties were a big part of their income.

Ain’t capitalism great?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
this is making me very excited for the royal runble. be sure to sign up for the royal rumble roulette before friday, which is when i will close the thread. this year, whichever team wins becomes the new moderator team of this forum. this could be your chance to finally wield power over other human beings.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DeathByGraps/status/1353829684090466306?s=19

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Love everything about this

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

As bad as WWE is now can you imagine how bad it would be when it's not even run by people from the wrestling industry?

I have to imagine it would get significantly better.

It'd be extremely easy for the haircuts at Comcast to just give the entire loving thing to Paul or something. Then he'd find the right people and while it'd probably still have some cringey garbage because that's who he is, it'd probably be at least watchable. Say what you will about Paul, he's not stuck in the past and he at least tries to figure out what people like and gives it to them.

Heyman, not Levesque.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw shoutout to Fox for

- Not getting NXT
- Not getting Rousey
- Not getting Lesnar
- Probably not getting the ratings they were hoping for at any point of this contract
- Paying millions of dollars per week to promote a rival network's streaming service for the next three years.

A billion dollars well spent.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wwe’s course of action is clear. In order to now deal efficiently with their new partners, they need to hire Eric Bischoff and use his vast knowledge of the tv business to handle the execs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has it been so long we have forgotten Paul Heyman sucks already?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Wwe’s course of action is clear. In order to now deal efficiently with their new partners, they need to hire Eric Bischoff and use his vast knowledge of the tv business to handle the execs.

God drat that being the reason they hired him still makes me laugh.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Also, any outside party taking over WWE would be a massive improvement. I’d actually consider watching the product if none of the McMahons were involved. I’m pretty confident that any given soulless Disney exec has a higher chance of figuring out what people want than Vince anyways

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

oldpainless posted:

Remember when they did that and had him sit in catering for what felt like three years?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ain’t capitalism great?

I know the Vince strut is bannable, but is saying gently caress this company ok?

Edit:

Forbes article from 2015 - https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2015/03/28/how-much-do-wwe-wrestlers-get-paid/?sh=3ecc3da24d17

quote:

No Royalties

All available booking contracts also stipulate that wrestlers are not entitled to some specific royalties. These include things like commentary, post-event production or voice-over work, which are considered work for hire. Wrestlers are also not entitled to royalties for any use of their intellectual property on WWE's website or in its magazine. The more recent contracts also specifically state that the performer is not entitled to any share of fees from TV licensing, internet subscriptions or video-on-demand.

In the past those revenue streams were likely minimal. That's no longer the case as WWE continues to bet big on its new online-only network platform, but live events and consumer products still generate a combined one-third of WWE's revenue. That's good news for the many wrestlers relying on those revenue streams for valuable bonus income.

Pretty sure merch royalties must be down since they don't make DVDs/Blu-Rays anymore, that I know of.

Red fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
WWE verbiage is bad enough without running it through the Disney/Whedon filter

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Has it been so long we have forgotten Paul Heyman sucks already?

His Raw booking in 2019 and early 2020 was light years ahead of the garbage we have now. At least he was pushing relatively young or new to WWE guys like Andrade, Garcia, Aleister et al.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MJeff posted:

btw shoutout to Fox for

- Not getting NXT
- Not getting Rousey
- Not getting Lesnar
- Probably not getting the ratings they were hoping for at any point of this contract
- Paying millions of dollars per week to promote a rival network's streaming service for the next three years.

A billion dollars well spent.

Lachlan Murdoch is fantastically stupid, remember that the SmackDown! deal was like the first major thing Fox did after selling off almost everything to Disney

Like, giving him control of Fox is the equivalent of a father just pressing the gas and letting his three year old drive them into a ditch

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Red posted:

I look forward to not subscribing to Sony's new streaming service later this year

Playstation Vue is something that existed until January 30, 2020. And as NBCU is a wholly owned subsidiary of comcast (:arghfist:) they've got the funds and the catalog to last if they're willing to wait for rights to start coming back home.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I honestly can't decide if this makes it more or less likely NXT returns to network only. I'm leaning towards more.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wasn't it pretty established that they were not getting royalties/bonuses, but were getting substantial pay bumps?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Astro7x posted:

Wasn't it pretty established that they were not getting royalties/bonuses, but were getting substantial pay bumps?

Close but it was actually the performance center was making them take substantial bumps

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1353812959294672897

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

PEE COCK

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
injecting a lethal dose of peacock into the WWE

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I can't believe SLAPJACK lost

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Codependent Poster posted:

:smith:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Does NBC even own the distribution rights to Seinfeld and Friends, even when the current contracts for those shows are up?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

MJeff posted:

Does NBC even own the distribution rights to Seinfeld and Friends, even when the current contracts for those shows are up?

Nope, Sony owns Seinfeld, Warner (IIRC) owns Friends.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Codependent Poster posted:

I can't believe I saw TUCKER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
so is the Peacock deal a win for WWE? Kinda weird situation, looks like countries outside the US will still be on the Network