Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

It's gonna be even better when all the dead weight money of Carpenter and Fowler and whoever else comes off the books next year (I think?) and they'll find some excuse to continue not spending any money.

Estimated payroll without options for 2022 is $90m. It's so bad. (Carp, Fowler, CMart, Miller).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Seems like all those Arizona mayors just want cover to open up Spring Training to fans, but they already don't give a gently caress about having packed bars and restaurants so I don't really understand what they think they're accomplishing

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Arizona Coyotes allow 4,000 people into their stadium and the Mayor of Glendale (the city in which they play) signed that statement.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If MLB wants to go full steam ahead I don't see Arizona or Florida stopping them from doing so. The players would have to call bullshit and refuse to report, which is probably the plan because it puts all the PR squarely on the players and when the owners inevitably come around demanding another pay cut they can go "well we wanted to start on time but the union forced us to wait, so now we have to play less games/pay players less money."

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Seems like all those Arizona mayors just want cover to open up Spring Training to fans, but they already don't give a gently caress about having packed bars and restaurants so I don't really understand what they think they're accomplishing

I wonder how many of those elected officials have had, shall we say, conversations with team owners about this in the last few weeks all while yelling for months to open things up.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/ethnicohioan/status/1353840981762854912

A subreddit crushed Steve Cohen's hedge fund and they lost over $2B lol

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Spoeank posted:

Good to see our old friend lolmets hasn't gone anywhere :mets:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Is this better or worse than the Madoff thing? :mets:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spoeank posted:

that's...not what the article says at all? the hedge fund that got hosed was Melvin and Point72 are buying shares in it now, presumably while the price is low

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

sounds like the union is wising up a bit

Does this increase the chances of a strike?

Please just go on strike, imo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I'm too young to remember the 94 strike. When the strike ended, did the players achieve what they were hoping to when they started?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah they absolutely bodied ownership and prevented a hard salary cap, which was the thing owners were hardline for in the first place

Then they rolled over and coughed up the CBT a few years later

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

maybe it's just my media consumption, but it seems even the mainstream sports press, such as it exists, is far more pro-labor and anti-owner than it was in '94, and while i suppose there is also a screeching right-wing cultural outrage machine, i think more people than owners expect would side with the players. whether that has any effect, who's to say-- sports from a business standpoint are in unprecedented ground and so much money is tied to TV deals, but i think owners who are expecting the general public to uniformly turn against "greedy players" are going to have a harder time when fans are genuinely pissed that they are not even trying to win and it's apparent even to sports radio mutants that owners are being brazen and perverse with their finances.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

R.D. Mangles posted:

maybe it's just my media consumption, but it seems even the mainstream sports press, such as it exists, is far more pro-labor and anti-owner than it was in '94, and while i suppose there is also a screeching right-wing cultural outrage machine, i think more people than owners expect would side with the players. whether that has any effect, who's to say-- sports from a business standpoint are in unprecedented ground and so much money is tied to TV deals, but i think owners who are expecting the general public to uniformly turn against "greedy players" are going to have a harder time when fans are genuinely pissed that they are not even trying to win and it's apparent even to sports radio mutants that owners are being brazen and perverse with their finances.

I would agree with this. The grifting among the wealthy class for every last surplus dollar has become prevalent enough in other aspects of society that people will get mad it’s appearing even in their “escape”

Maybe this is too optimistic a view but I’ve been surprised by how things have shaken out in other places so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a pro labor tack this time around

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

God drat Madison Cawthorn didn't even get to hold the title of 'most embarrassing signature' for one week.

It is very difficult to care about baseball even casually anymore. Between ownership fuckery and COVID fuckery it's been a real chore to keep up, before even getting started with how lovely my team is every year.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

quote:

Streaming Orioles games: For years, local fans have complained that the Orioles didn’t stream their games. Now, MASN has announced plans to launch “its owned and operated dedicated sports media app.”

Cool, cool, finally.

quote:

MASN will stream all of the Orioles and Nationals games it televises “by using the new MASN app and authenticating via TV provider log-in.”

This will be available throughout MASN’s seven-state broadcasters and will require viewers to subscribe to MASN on cable or satellite.

gently caress

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

so you want to be a baseball fan

it’s gonna cost ya

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

R.D. Mangles posted:

This is a good post.

I can’t predict how Pittsburgh sports media will respond. It’s a little bit unique in that Nutting is universally hated, so even the reactionary bloc on sports radio wouldn’t just blatantly side with owners. But there’s also a prevalent belief that “MLB is broken” with accompanying calls for a “cap and floor” which the owners will obviously support. So we’ll see

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vernacular posted:

Please just go on strike, imo

This but workers in every industry

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Roflex posted:

Cool, cool, finally.

gently caress

Getting rid of arcane blackout rules would solve this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

But there’s also a prevalent belief that “MLB is broken” with accompanying calls for a “cap and floor” which the owners will obviously support. So we’ll see
I don’t think it’s obvious at all that ownership would support a cap and floor now. What they already have is a de facto cap with no floor. From an ownership perspective, the marginal utility of a hard cap is not much at this point and certainly not worth giving the players a hard floor.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I remember one of the conversations around the 94 strike (at least in Chicago) was about Ryne Sandberg's 4/$28m extension for 1992, a year he put up 7.4 fWAR.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

I remember one of the conversations around the 94 strike (at least in Chicago) was about Ryne Sandberg's 4/$28m extension for 1992, a year he put up 7.4 fWAR.

Which made him the second highest paid player in the league behind only Bobby Bonilla

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've been annoyed by the launch angle "revolution" for awhile now. I feel like it's an over simplification attempting to describe the changing priorities of teams based on the juiced ball and front office nerds saying we need to hit more home runs strikeouts be damned and is less an actual thing that hitters recently discovered.

Anyways I came across this poor quality interview of Votto talking about it and I think he sums it up really well, thought people might be interested in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7M4wRiuE

As always Votto rules.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ve always loved Donaldson’s approach of rotational hitting where you’re actively rotating your shoulders and hips to get to the ball and hit the snot out of the ball. You really have to understand your body and your swing to make it work though. I’ll see if I can dig out the clip because it really is a great concept

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carlosologist posted:

I’ve always loved Donaldson’s approach of rotational hitting where you’re actively rotating your shoulders and hips to get to the ball and hit the snot out of the ball. You really have to understand your body and your swing to make it work though. I’ll see if I can dig out the clip because it really is a great concept

https://youtu.be/NyWNCrxVzPU

"You tell him 'no.'"

Edit: this video is literally why I was happy when he came to the Twins, and I've been nothing but happy since, even with injuries.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Never underestimate the deep cultural ties Americans have with Crab Mentality.

The general population is probably more sympathetic to labor than anytime in the last 30 years, NL Central fans even more so, but "I get hosed everyday at my job too" is a weird mental hurdle for way too many people.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1354082409449480199

Uncle Stevie!?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

"You tell him 'no.'"

Edit: this video is literally why I was happy when he came to the Twins, and I've been nothing but happy since, even with injuries.

Guy is ruthless lmao.

It sucks he left the Jays with a bad taste in his mouth, game 3 of the 2016 alds was the best game I've ever been to and his winning run owned.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1354069290207506435?s=19

Put Sammy in the fuckin HOF, assholes.

Also Sheffield and Helton.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

rickiep00h posted:

"You tell him 'no.'"

Donaldson hits the nail on the head in that video, I don't think Votto is disagreeing with him just pointing out that hitting a flat line drive or a ground ball isn't necessarily the wrong thing to do. Teaching young players to always try to hit a fly ball is not good hitting and for the majority isn't going to lead to good results as they aren't strong enough to muscle a fly out 400+ feet for a home run.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/status/1354087875734876162?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Why is Schilling so close? Kinda annoying.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I feel like we could just straight up buy a bullpen for that kind of money

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man I just don't see giving Bauer ace money. Like I'd take him on the Giants for 4/80 or 5/100 even, I get it he's the best pitcher in free agency this year, but for Max Scherzer money? No thanks.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Anyway who's excited for the Hall of Fame to elect absolutely no one today?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If schilling gets in and no one else you might as well close the hall and start over

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Helton should be unanimous lmao

What is wrong with these people

Why do people who hate baseball cover it ?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

If schilling gets in and no one else you might as well close the hall and start over

He's gonna have a MAGA hat on his plaque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
great look for the hall when the top two guys on the list are absolutely trash human beings