Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In the Jenkins cut instead of warning his friends about the bomb in the lasagna Doug just calmly sits back and watches them explode, and finishes eating his liver and onions as Skeeter's blood drips down his face.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

the Jenkins cut

lmao

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sounds like we need a Doug Creepypasta: The Jinkins Cuts.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO2wArqOLwM

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Das Boo posted:

Agreed, But also everyone ITT is denying they ever claimed Doug was mentally ill, so giving them the benefit of the doubt I'm not sure how the subject ever got broached or how people are even arguing about it.

It was right around here where the general vibe of the thread went from "yeah that show was kinda boring lol" to "whoa you think Doug is what now?":

Coolguye posted:

if you were learning fractured life lessons from a spoiled caricature of schizophrenia i'm gonna genuinely and wholeheartedly hope you got some actual supportive assistance from actual professionals. i don't say this to be rude or anything, but this sentiment honestly leaves me cold. even when i was 9 i could tell that doug a hosed up show that should not be emulated or taken seriously. the comparison was even more stark with Pete & Pete running at the same time. doug is an egocentric acid trip and even his ultimate revelation in the nickelodeon series finale where they were all graduating middle school has him taking comfort in change by effectively saying the change is OK because all the NPCs that make up his life's RPG will be there when he gets to the next stage - a sentiment that Roger immediately echoes back.

by contrast, you've got Pete & Pete, which is like your first good bowl of weed after an ego death. it picks up almost exactly the same age/home setting and overdramatic narrative style, right down to the larger-than-life caricatures of poo poo you see when you're that age, from artie to inspector 34, but draws lessons of personal growth through listening, determination, humility, and self-reflection. doug flatly doesn't learn anything at all most episodes, like the one people were talking about where he gets ragingly addicted to a star fox clone for a weekend and blows off a report on silt. he only just turns away from the game in the final shot of the episode, leaving porkchop to play the game instead.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

je1 healthcare posted:

Helga was a pretty terrible person. She hated her older sister for no reason besides jealousy and convinced her to banish herself to the Alaskan wilderness forever, which Olga agreed to do because she only wanted Helga's love and approval.

And she also stole from her dad and framed her Swedish nanny, resulting in her getting fired, blacklisted, and leaving the country. These would make for nice revenge stories if they had done anything wrong besides slightly annoy Helga, mostly by giving her the affection that her parents never gave.

I wouldn't say Helga was a bad character, I think those were just really bad episodes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

eSports Chaebol posted:

As a child I had the impression that an “awful waffle” was meant to refer to something that was too bizarre and gross to show on TV, much less Nickelodeon

I remember it involved syrup and a tennis racket, so I always assumed two kids held the victim down, and a third kid pressed the racket into his chest and poured syrup all over him. Maybe there was also a coating of flour involved.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mega64 posted:

Doug created Homestuck.

he killed us all when he did this

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It was right around here where the general vibe of the thread went from "yeah that show was kinda boring lol" to "whoa you think Doug is what now?":

the show's bad for a lot of reasons and its handling of doug's very real mental illness is one of them dude. if you want to call me a dumb rear end in a top hat just do it and move on talking about poo poo. heath did, he called me a dumb rear end in a top hat and it's fine now. let's be like another potentially problematic cartoon Frozen (i actually have no idea i never saw those movies) and let it go.

e: like since this is gone on for another 80 loving posts after the last time i tried to get people to move on, let me be 100% clear: i don't feel the need to argue this point with random goons in gbs. i COULD do things like point out there's a difference between power of imagination and the actual acted out delusional frenzies that doug works himself up to on a regular basis but it's not that goddamn important. just call me a dumb rear end in a top hat, i promise you my sense of self worth can take it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 26, 2021

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Defiance Industries posted:

I remember it involved syrup and a tennis racket, so I always assumed two kids held the victim down, and a third kid pressed the racket into his chest and poured syrup all over him. Maybe there was also a coating of flour involved.

nickelodeon producers are known for their sick fetishes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah they never exactly said what an "awful waffle" was but by the end of the series they had given enough details that you could piece it together.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Coolguye posted:

the show's bad for a lot of reasons and its handling of doug's very real mental illness is one of them dude. if you want to call me a dumb rear end in a top hat just do it and move on talking about poo poo. heath did, he called me a dumb rear end in a top hat and it's fine now. let's be like another potentially problematic cartoon Frozen (i actually have no idea i never saw those movies) and let it go.

e: like since this is gone on for another 80 loving posts after the last time i tried to get people to move on, let me be 100% clear: i don't feel the need to argue this point with random goons in gbs. i COULD do things like point out there's a difference between power of imagination and the actual acted out delusional frenzies that doug works himself up to on a regular basis but it's not that goddamn important. just call me a dumb rear end in a top hat, i promise you my sense of self worth can take it.

:rolleyes:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Coolguye posted:

IDK I'm still not quite convinced you don't feel the need to argue this.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

It's true, I started drawing a comic about myself as a super hero when I was 12, then blacked out for several years. Now I live under a bridge and smoke meth to keep the voices down.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

If you think "Doug" is hosed up then you should check out "Muppet Babies" sometime. It will blow your mind.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Extra Large Marge posted:

If you think "Doug" is hosed up then you should check out "Muppet Babies" sometime. It will blow your mind.

Did you know that whole show is the last dream Scooter had as he died of meningitis? OoOOoooOOOOOooooo

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think Doug is great because he is so bland that you can and want to project anything onto him. Schizophrenia? Psychotic breaks? Ate Roger's dad? anything that will give him character.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Did you know that whole show is the last dream Scooter had as he died of meningitis? OoOOoooOOOOOooooo

Gonzo's obsessed with chickens because he was traumatized by seeing chickens get killed on a farm. He still sees them running at night.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Coolguye posted:

it's not that goddamn important. just call me a dumb rear end in a top hat, i promise you my sense of self worth can take it.

I mean you seemed like the kind of person who could maybe come to mutual understanding about things and maybe didn't mean to tell someone that they needed professional help for their mental illness for identifying with an anxious kid who daydreamed a lot and didn't understand how the world worked. But if you insist!

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 26, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Miss Piggy is just a fat kid and Kermit is actually a harlequin baby.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Das Boo posted:

Miss Piggy is just a fat kid and Kermit is actually a harlequin baby.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
The only episode of Doug I remember was when they were gonna tear down some lovely old concert hall for a mega rad new cineplex with air conditioning. Doug was excited at first but his grandma fought to keep it from being torn down because that's where she first danced with his grandpa or something. Then Doug "did the right thing" and joined his grandma's protest and gave a healthy speech about how the hall should be kept and it was. The end.

I loving HATED that. Gimme that awesome state of the art cineplex. Yeah, Doug blew rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phyein posted:

The only episode of Doug I remember was when they were gonna tear down some lovely old concert hall for a mega rad new cineplex with air conditioning. Doug was excited at first but his grandma fought to keep it from being torn down because that's where she first danced with his grandpa or something. Then Doug "did the right thing" and joined his grandma's protest and gave a healthy speech about how the hall should be kept and it was. The end.

I loving HATED that. Gimme that awesome state of the art cineplex. Yeah, Doug blew rear end.

The joke is that was a Hey Arnold episode, and it had a loving great song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYkUJbnfn6E

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Das Boo posted:

harlequin baby.

I made it so long without thinking about them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

god this was buried deep in my brain and listening to it unearthed such strange feelings of familiarity

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
lmao 26 page Doug thread with people getting legit pissed off

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'll be damned. That's gotta be the only Hey Arnold episode I've ever seen then, so I cant say I was a fan.

That said, now remembering exactly zero Doug episodes, my opinion hasn't changed and Doug still does, in fact, blow rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phyein posted:

I'll be damned. That's gotta be the only Hey Arnold episode I've ever seen then, so I cant say I was a fan.

That said, now remembering exactly zero Doug episodes, my opinion hasn't changed and Doug still does, in fact, blow rear end.

fuckin lol, I thought you did that on purpose

Trust goons to get real mad about shows that they don't even remember properly and mostly make up the details of, as happens in CineD every other week

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That song is clearly a mark of quality, getting mad because you disagree with Arnold's view on preservation is very funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not sure if it was based on an episode, but I do remember one Disney Adventures comic where Doug is entering a science fair or something and hand-makes a gravy boat, but feels it's a bit basic, so he asks around for ideas and the other characters are all too willing to offer ideas and parts until he's ended up with a multi-flavoured gravy cannon with a tank backpack. I think it's supposed to be a lesson about peer pressure and or too many cooks, but the funny thing is by the end he decides to just enter the original gravy boat and wins a prize, and leaves the big machine he ended up making lying around which the judges take some interest in and give an honourable mention, which makes everyone who contributed to it feel proud for being recognised.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Since this is now the defacto Salute Your Shorts thread, consequences be damned, let's take a look:

Eddie C is of course better known as Donkeylips, the beloved star of the entire show.

Does anybody remember the theme song, where Budnick changes the lyric to say "Camp Anawanna, we hold you in our heart / and when I think about you, it makes me want to fart!"?

They were really just a bunch of Wild n Crazy Kids! Speaking of that show, there must have been hundreds of kids who played in the big field day like contests every episode, but have you ever met one in real life? Kind of makes you think, since they've never released the formula for slime...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Grimace posted:

Freakazoid is fantastic and deserves another reboot along with Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain, and Tiny Toons.

My girlfriend and I still regularly say "oops," like the "Oops Insurance" gangster from his one-off episode. There are just so many drat good things about Freakazoid.

Freakazoid, now there's a fuckin show.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

TeachesOfPeaches posted:

"It's a limited edition Balldo, Douglath!"

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Das Boo posted:

Is Doug schizophrenic or in a coma? Did he break outside the Matrix? Is he having past life memories of alternate universe Dougs? Perhaps he is God, and can actually create temporary impossibilities but rewinds time afterward because he is a just and responsible Almighty.

Incoming Canada talk

There was a great show called The Odyssey from the CBC where a kid went into a coma and in his mind was in another world where his real life friends and parents were characters and it went between the fake world and the real world of his journey to get out of the coma

I remember it being p sweet show wonder if it holds up

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Do it ironically posted:

Incoming Canada talk

There was a great show called The Odyssey from the CBC where a kid went into a coma and in his mind was in another world where his real life friends and parents were characters and it went between the fake world and the real world of his journey to get out of the coma

Angela Anaconda was also a Canadian show, wasn't it?

E: Just remembered the Hey Arnold! episode where Mr. Hyunh is reunited with his daughter.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do it ironically posted:

Incoming Canada talk

I haven't seen it since I was a kid but it got weird after the kid woke up and all the actors hit puberty. The same thing happened with Shirley Holmes which I remember being decent, but the actors got too old to keep making a kids show but they were at least able to give it a decent ending where they find her mom or something.

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Heath posted:

im permabanned poster wafflestomper58

ftfy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ITT: we imagine a guy in our heads and get real mad at him, and that guy's name is Doug

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ITT: we imagine a guy in our heads and get real mad at him, and that guy's name is Doug

If this thread proved anything, it's that Doug is real: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a804147/doug-creator-finally-reveals-whether-he-ended-up-with-patti/

He's real because he's basically just the creator. He's real pathetic, too!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doug hosed my dad and murdered my girlfriend and I want revenge since he broke both our hearts.