Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Janos is also in Legends, and it's a decent picture. He's old as balls, though, or at least looks it:

The eyes of a man who has yelled "SNOOOOOOOOOOORD!!!!!!" too many times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Minobu got a major glow-up from that old art.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

So there's a new portrait art for Nicolai Malthus of the Jade Falcon Clan from the infamous cartoon, and holy gently caress this dude looks rad

OH HOLY poo poo.

No wonder the Malthus bloodline is considered unstable. They're secret Davions!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 25, 2021

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

(BattleTech Legends is a pretty good book)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Malthus staying in combat duty and even becoming a better and more humble person until his death at 47 makes me wonder if they walked back the original lore about EI tattoos making the user highly unstable within a year and unfit for duty within three years, even with treatment.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BattleMaster posted:

Malthus staying in combat duty and even becoming a better and more humble person and living to 47 makes me wonder if they walked back the original lore about EI tattoos making the user highly unstable within a year and unfit for duty within three years, even with treatment.

I think it's ~5 and ~10, now, and they can actually be removed which will slow/halt the psychosis. I dunno if Malthus took that route, or was already like ~30 when he got his, was "stable" (for him, at least) for relatively longer than the norm, or what.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

OH HOLY poo poo.

That is one of the more striking resemblances since I noticed that Devlin Stone and Russou Howell were the same guy

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Shin Yodama showing that even in mechs you can't pass up the opportunity to tear off your jacket and show off your sick yakuza tats.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Shin Yodama's tattoos got over a page of description in a setting where most people don't even have described eye colors.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shin Yodama's tattoos got over a page of description in a setting where most people don't even have described eye colors.

I mean, it IS one of the avenues of Japanese culture that Stackpole thinks he understands...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

I think it's ~5 and ~10, now, and they can actually be removed which will slow/halt the psychosis. I dunno if Malthus took that route, or was already like ~30 when he got his, was "stable" (for him, at least) for relatively longer than the norm, or what.

He was 24 in 3050, so if he kept them he would have spent something like half his life with them. I don't know if it was ever stated, but I imagine that EI tattoos were the kind of thing that bored mechwarriors who were hyped up on Operation REVIVAL got while en route to the IS.

So either he had them removed or maybe Protomech research yielded improvements in treatment. Dunno, I just think it's great to find out what happened to the guy. Kind of a sad end for someone who saw himself as a great conqueror, but at least he still died in the cockpit of a mech.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Strobe posted:

(BattleTech Legends is a pretty good book)

Where is that available? Checked Catalyst's webpage, didn't see it for sale.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MadDogMike posted:

Where is that available? Checked Catalyst's webpage, didn't see it for sale.

I got it as part of the Kickstarter digital rewards, I think the print book isn't actually out yet? I didn't realize that it wasn't until you said something. :shrug:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Strobe posted:

I got it as part of the Kickstarter digital rewards, I think the print book isn't actually out yet? I didn't realize that it wasn't until you said something. :shrug:

Ah, they screwed up my pledge somehow (never got my Wave 1 stuff, gotta harass them again since they dropped talking to me over the holidays) so maybe that's why I didn't see it. Is it linked in Kickstarter?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It was part of the "Digital Cornucopia", I'd try searching for that in your updates.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

BattleMaster posted:

Malthus staying in combat duty and even becoming a better and more humble person until his death at 47 makes me wonder if they walked back the original lore about EI tattoos making the user highly unstable within a year and unfit for duty within three years, even with treatment.

No, I asked about that specifically and was told that once a blue moon someone with the tattoos beats the odds, and Malthus was one of those guys. Pure luck, for an otherwise rather unlucky guy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Can't break your brain if your brain's already broken

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Malthus bloodline is known for being unstable. His aggression had already been turned up to 11 by Clan Jade Falcon's insane training practices. When his EI Implants started messing with his brain chemistry he eventually suffered a stack overflow and calmed down.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 25, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Ah, the Gandhi Nuclear Maniac Paradox.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Strobe posted:

It was part of the "Digital Cornucopia", I'd try searching for that in your updates.

Thanks, got lost in the flood of e-mail last month, looks like. Man, Grayson Carlyle looks like he should be leading an '80s metal band.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MadDogMike posted:

Thanks, got lost in the flood of e-mail last month, looks like. Man, Grayson Carlyle looks like he should be leading an '80s metal band.

At least they didn't straight up trace Owen Wilson this time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I painted up some tiny 'Mechs Men!

First up, a star of Clan Jade Falcon Vau Galaxy Elementals!

Second, a star of Clan Smoke Jaguar Nu Galaxy Elementals! Even though they use the same general colors (gray and red), I really dig how different they wound up looking.

And, with my two stray points (and because I knew I'd get sick of painting gray and red), Tiburon Khanate!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That reminds me, I'm making progress on my recent order.

Gotta do some fine detailing and touch up places where I hosed up, but I think I'll do that later.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

That reminds me, I'm making progress on my recent order.

Gotta do some fine detailing and touch up places where I hosed up, but I think I'll do that later.

Where are your vehicles coming from? The Etsy shop I got my mechs from doesn't have great tank options, at least IMO.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This is all Iron Wind Metals stuff

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Defiance Industries posted:

This is all Iron Wind Metals stuff

My wallet hurts looking at that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else still playing MegaMek now that we're entering our second year of quarantine? I finally jumped back in, and this happened, in a guerilla war campaign on a frozen ice planet that suffers frequent blizzards. I'm playing Kuze Tactical Discretion in purple against the Lyran Commonwealth:

TL;DR: My Wolverine jumped behind a Warhammer, punched it in the square of it's back, detonating it's ammo and killing the pilot instantly upon ejection.

Game is still a ton of fun even if it's super grognardy and takes the better part of a morning to get set up.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Looks to me like the pilot lived long enough to splat into a tree. :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PeterWeller posted:

Looks to me like the pilot lived long enough to splat into a tree. :v:

In the middle of a blizzard!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the past year of event posters I've hacked together for the past year of my narrative campaign:

Bonus from my initial Battletech demo game at my LGC:

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
drat those are super nice quality. I'd totally put that last one up on my wall

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished up a few Hero 'Mechs.

First, because it was easy (and boring), Grayson "Death" Carlyle's Marauder:

Second, because it was more fun, Aidan Pryde's Timberwolf (in proper Gamma Galaxy colors):

Edit: I really don't recommend using static grass or tufts for 'Mechs. Grass would need to be a meter or more tall to be distinctly visible at 'Mech scale, which makes your 'Mech look tiny unless you're putting some tiny infantry under them to bring the scale back down. Ground flock, foliage clumps, rocks, or even leftover 3D printer supports make for some really nice looking 'Mech-scale grass, bushes, and debris.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 28, 2021

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Those look great!

I didn't put much thought into my bases, mostly because a decade ago when I bought my IWM stuff, I didn't really do anything with those. I guess it reflects my attitude that they're more "tokens in a board game" than a minis game proper. Maybe someday I'll be bored enough and itching for a project and do something proper with them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished the other two hero 'Mechs.

Morgan Kell's (boring) Archer:

and Natasha Kerensky's Widowmaker:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So on my last scenario I ended up taking 2 of the players' faction (mercs) as Bondsmen. Anything fun I can really do with those? Right now I have a daily 1d6 roll to see what their bondsmen duties are for the day:

quote:

1: Latrine Duty
2: Mech polishing
3: Mess hall duty
4: Corpse burning
5: Connex organizing
6: Re-education

But I know I gotta set up a Trial of Possession at some point or another. Or should I just slap them in Urbanmech IICs and march them off to die?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Make them a recapturable objective marker and put them in the field while an overzealous Clan commander uses them as bait not to force your players to surrender but to 1v1 him (let the players betray him, just have a back-up force waiting in the hills for that inevitability).

Either that, or have one turn traitor and start revealing information to the Clans and/or giving them tips on luring the players in to a big fight they "can't" win.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 29, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good idea, I'll definitely look into that.

Can LRM launchers swap ammo types mid-mission? I thought you could only carry standard LRM or some other variant like Inferno, etc.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
LRMs can load ammo from any bin, so if you've got multiple bins of ammo they can all be different kinds, with a few caveats. Some ammo types have restrictions, while Artemis missiles can't even be fired from non-Artemis launchers.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I'm looking at a player who wanted to bring a 4M with like 12 shots of standard, 6 shots of inferno, and 6 shots of thunder (mines). Looking at p. 140 of Total Warfare I don't think that's allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It is, assuming you mean an Archer-4M and those six shots are all full tons for an LRM-20