Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

There's a do not gas list?

Yes, ever since some people had a pretty bad experience about 80 years ago.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I was remembering wrong the EDM that burns a hex shaped hole in a stud so you can Allen it out. So baller.

Anyway I need a portable 12 volt air compressor. Is there a style that won't fail after one inflation? I got a screwy rim I think that won't seal and goes low every 6 to 12 weeks on a car I park in a remote location that I got sick of ubering from cause they can't find it. Sometimes it doesn't lose any air, sometimes it goes low. The tire is brand new. The alloy is crap cause GM quality. It is a shitheap.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Viair is the recommended tire inflator 'round these parts. I personally have the 85P which is used on autocross duty and I've had it for 4 years now. I recommend getting a quick connector because screw type can get tedious, especially if you're checking all 4 tires.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you don't have a jump pack you can also get jump packs with compressors built in. 12v or portable, plus jump pack.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have a name brand jump pack/ inflater/120v inverter. I wouldn't trust the inflater for much more than 30psi. It's more handy for like, filling an air mattress. Trying to pump up a vehicle tire is frustrating.

Vlair is the way to go.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

If your using the ryobi 18volt or Milwaukee or harbor freight they have a battery hand held portable inflator. I have one and use it often for autocross to air back up.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Virgil Vox posted:

If your using the ryobi 18volt or Milwaukee or harbor freight they have a battery hand held portable inflator. I have one and use it often for autocross to air back up.

Ya I use the Milwaukee M12 inflator often, it’s cool. They also just came out with an M18 compressor if you’re really in a hurry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Virgil Vox posted:

There's two ryobi hand inflators, the deluxe one is the better buy. You attach the hose, set the pressure and hit start and you can just leave it until it's done.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
There's also a 20v Dewalt inflator that's my favorite of the ones I've tried (over the M12 and Ryobi ones although in fairness I haven't tried the ryobi deluxe).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's this one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I picked up a second one at a ToolDirect place down south for $30 so my wife has one in her car now too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Battery powered inflators are a gift from the heavens.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

They're good for cars but great for bikes. Takes a good bit of time to pump up a car tire but pretty snappy for a bike tire. They Ryobi one is a bit loud. That's about the only criticisms for them I've got.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh it's deafening. But it tops up a tire in minute.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
any thoughts on a hydraulic brake line flaring tool that isnt the $400 mastercool one?

Need to do a bunch of brake lines in the near future for a custom axle install and i'm tired of doing it the hard way.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rhyno posted:

It's this one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I picked up a second one at a ToolDirect place down south for $30 so my wife has one in her car now too.

So... exactly the same as the dewalt one but half the price? Those are great.

e: vvvvvvvv I have both the m12 and the 20v and I think either one is good (and presumably that ryobi deluxe is good too) depending on what ecosystem you're already in. The dewalt one I liked so much that it was the first thing I bought after I had a bunch of tools stolen, but really battery inflators are like magic and everyone should have one.

builds character fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 25, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have the really cheap Ryobi 18 one and it's noticably slower at filling car tires than it used to be so now it's just for bike tires

I picked up the M12 inflator and I love it, very nice being able to dial in the pressure you want. also had a great screw on Chuck

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Dacheat posted:

any thoughts on a hydraulic brake line flaring tool that isnt the $400 mastercool one?

Need to do a bunch of brake lines in the near future for a custom axle install and i'm tired of doing it the hard way.

In for answers also

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

In for answers also

I thought this was a solved problem? OEM Tools in line flaring tool #24364.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I realize now you guys are after a hydraulic tool, not being redundant and calling the brake system hydraulic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My house vac for the past few years has been some Dyson cordless thing and while it does the vacuuming part perfectly well, the battery sucks. The replacement pack is now worn out enough that it's maybe good for five minutes, tops.

I got sick enough of it that I went and paid way too much money - but still way less than a new Dyson - for the Milwaukee M18 canister vac as an impulse buy. Thing fuckin rules and it gets a solid 20+ minutes out of my 8/9AH packs.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I thought this was a solved problem? OEM Tools in line flaring tool #24364.

I just got one of these and where has it been this all my life.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

honda whisperer posted:

Welcome to the truth, son.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah I have that tool already, been telling people to buy it since... 2014? I just want a hydraulic one, yeah.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I recently did a horn install on the firewall of my roadster, I was pissed the gently caress off, as I have been since I got them, with my harbor freight step bits.

so thanks to a youtube channel that I'm obsessed with as a guilty pleasure, project farm, I picked up these baddies:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWA17...11637352&sr=8-1

holy... poo poo... they straight up vaporized the metal that I tried them out on.. probably the fastest step bits ive ever used - early fords have some of the beefiest sheet steel ever used in cars, and these bits cut thru it like it was butter. highly recommended.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LobsterboyX posted:

I recently did a horn install on the firewall of my roadster, I was pissed the gently caress off, as I have been since I got them, with my harbor freight step bits.

so thanks to a youtube channel that I'm obsessed with as a guilty pleasure, project farm, I picked up these baddies:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWA17...11637352&sr=8-1

holy... poo poo... they straight up vaporized the metal that I tried them out on.. probably the fastest step bits ive ever used - early fords have some of the beefiest sheet steel ever used in cars, and these bits cut thru it like it was butter. highly recommended.

Project Farm is pretty amazing, that dude really values empiricism in his testing, even if he's the most awkward Youtuber I've ever seen.

I'm very sad my brand new hammerdrill came in 3rd in his testing recently, I just got these bad boys today.

I replaced my old NiCad set with my dad's standard, first generation Lion, brushed drill/driver combo, the drill part of which is honestly a bad replacement for the old 18V NiCad one in terms of power and durability, and I smoked it drilling some 1/2" holes with a tri-flute bit in some 4x6's the other week, finally giving me an excuse to upgrade.

The old 20V driver has been amazing though, I've driven probably over 100,000 screws with it, some 1/2" lag bolts, and used it to rebuild a couple dirtbike engines, it's been fantastic, I think the drivers last longer than the drills because you can't lag the motor and cause a high load/low airflow condition with them like you can a drill.

Either way this new set is amazing, I blasted some 7/8" holes in some 2x6 scrap with the drill with a 3 flute screw fed auger in 2nd and 3rd gear, didn't even slow down.

This adds to my collection of awesome DeWalt poo poo, including the NutFucker 5,000,000 someone posted an awesome deal for recently, that has played a crucial role in dropping and reinstalling two transmissions in just a few short months.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I went the Makita route long ago and haven't looked back - but some of the dewalt peripherals are really good stuff.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, Makita, Milwaukee and Makita all have great tools, it's very much once you're bought into an ecosystem you're stuck there. If someone broke in and stole all my tools and batteries tonight I'd probably switch to Milwaukee, though I like Makita for their unique engineering, and not having their brand absorbed by one of the global tool hegemonies.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
exactly - I really want one of those Milfucky ratchets - the m12 variant with the flush mount pistol magazine style battery, but I just cant pull the trigger on it knowing full well it would be the only non Makita, that being said, their offering for powered ratchets sucks!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I could almost justify going with a full M12 line of tools, just for the stubby 3/8 impact and the compact ratchet, then it wouldn't compete with my buy-in to DeWalt's 20V line.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

I could almost justify going with a full M12 line of tools, just for the stubby 3/8 impact and the compact ratchet, then it wouldn't compete with my buy-in to DeWalt's 20V line.

exactly - those are the only ones that I really want - one of my favorite drills i ever had was the makita small one... 12v i think, the white one - it was perfect for little precise stuff, it got stolen when I was on location a long time ago and I just never replaced it - but the M12 stuff looks similar

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, Makita, Milwaukee and Makita all have great tools, it's very much once you're bought into an ecosystem you're stuck there. If someone broke in and stole all my tools and batteries tonight I'd probably switch to Milwaukee, though I like Makita for their unique engineering, and not having their brand absorbed by one of the global tool hegemonies.

My thoughts exactly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

Usually my battery charge outlasts the job, if I saw something in another ecosystem I had to have, I will go for it. It's nice having four 18v batteries and two 12v batteries, and you save on bare tool purchases. On the other hand, on a good sale, a package is not such a barrier to entry, and I have room for another charger.

Right now it's a Makita mower. Which will probably expand to a string trimmer too since mine died.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

They have a new compact ratchet coming out... https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m12-fuel-high-speed-ratchets-012020/ Anyway, this is what I did. Milwaukee 12v and DeWalt 20v. I just like tools.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Elviscat posted:

it's very much once you're bought into an ecosystem you're stuck there.

Disagree. I've got almost all the colors -- red, orange, yellow, green, blue. Yeah, it's a lot of chargers, but they serve different purposes. Milwaukee M12 and M18, because that's some of the best, overall, imo. Bosch 18v impact and drill because it was too cheap to pass up, Fein oscillating tool and hammer drill, Ryobi bunch of stuff because it's cheap, etc. Plus, if there are any bare tool deals, I probably already have the batteries on hand. :D

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

builds character posted:

They have a new compact ratchet coming out... https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m12-fuel-high-speed-ratchets-012020/ Anyway, this is what I did. Milwaukee 12v and DeWalt 20v. I just like tools.

Dang. The one I have, which is a few years old, isn't fast objectively, is still very quick, faster than using a wrench or socket. Plus it's a good speed where I don't stop it between fasteners and just keep popping them off. A junkyard trips best friend. Highly recommend it.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Disagree. I've got almost all the colors -- red, orange, yellow, green, blue. Yeah, it's a lot of chargers, but they serve different purposes. Milwaukee M12 and M18, because that's some of the best, overall, imo. Bosch 18v impact and drill because it was too cheap to pass up, Fein oscillating tool and hammer drill, Ryobi bunch of stuff because it's cheap, etc. Plus, if there are any bare tool deals, I probably already have the batteries on hand. :D

This happened to me when a friend bought me a Dewalt 20v tool awhile back, and I’m a Makita 18v guy. Came with a charger and battery, so... now I’ve got a lot of different chargers. I just picked up a Milwaukee M12 tool this past season, too. :ssh:

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

i'm going to try this one from lisle
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-33260-Flaring-Tool/dp/B082P2483D/ref=psdc_15707271_t1_B00AOTBVJQ

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

Usually my battery charge outlasts the job, if I saw something in another ecosystem I had to have, I will go for it. It's nice having four 18v batteries and two 12v batteries, and you save on bare tool purchases. On the other hand, on a good sale, a package is not such a barrier to entry, and I have room for another charger.

Right now it's a Makita mower. Which will probably expand to a string trimmer too since mine died.

I’m on team teal as well and pulled the trigger on an electric mower earlier this year. Really wanted the Makita, but couldn’t justify the price so I picked up a Kobalt 80v Brushless push mower on end of season clearance for ~250$. Eventually picked up another battery and blower for 115$ on another sale.

Holy poo poo both are absolutely fantastic, can not recommend highly enough, especially at giveaway pricing. Worth supporting another ecosystem. Was super tempted to get the trimmer as well, but I’ve already got a really nice Makita one that works great.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what's the best way to score used tools i couldn't afford new? craigslist? estate sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m on team teal as well and pulled the trigger on an electric mower earlier this year. Really wanted the Makita, but couldn’t justify the price so I picked up a Kobalt 80v Brushless push mower on end of season clearance for ~250$. Eventually picked up another battery and blower for 115$ on another sale.

Holy poo poo both are absolutely fantastic, can not recommend highly enough, especially at giveaway pricing. Worth supporting another ecosystem. Was super tempted to get the trimmer as well, but I’ve already got a really nice Makita one that works great.

Can I get more color on the Makita trimmer? 18v or 36v? I'm coming from a corded one that was donated to me by my brother in law when they moved like a decade ago, it was never good, but always worked well enough, however now is fully busted. I may get the trimmer first and wait for my gas mower to die fully or get worse first. Or maybe just secure a promise that my wife will use an electric one.