Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of, I was watching the old Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon on Disney+ and one of the episodes had the cultural insensitive disclaimer at the top of the program and I took a guess that it was probably the Sunfire episode and sure enough it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of, I was watching the old Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon on Disney+ and one of the episodes had the cultural insensitive disclaimer at the top of the program and I took a guess that it was probably the Sunfire episode and sure enough it was.

What's the deal with this? I've never heard about this, but that show was never on my radar.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

KVeezy3 posted:

Hold on now, I am pretty racist.

Thanks for the recs everyone!

I'll take the heat off ya, as I am someone much worse than racist: I think jack black's Carl Denham is better than Robert Armstrong's

Charles Grodin's version is also fun

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't know how people enjoy alcohol. Is there any booze that doesn't taste like paint thinner?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah that guy you made up sounds like a real hoot.

He's mad, folks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lurdiak posted:

He's mad, folks.

it's not really an own if you just proudly announce that you're a dipshit out to rile people up for fun

like i realize goons have trouble distinguishing between taste and personality but the reason nobody likes you is not because of the difference in taste

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

CPL593H posted:

I don't know how people enjoy alcohol. Is there any booze that doesn't taste like paint thinner?

Ever had a mai tai?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPL593H posted:

Nah, all alcohol tastes terrible. but I'll let you in on a little secret.... People don't drink it for the taste

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

when you get to the point that youre trashed enough to forget how loving awful your life is you stop caring about the taste and thats when booze really shines

also margaritas are p tasty

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Watch the original Godzilla.

Then if you want more, watch one or more of:

Heisei Godzilla series (I'd go with Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah if you only watch one, but maybe start at the beginning since they're all direct sequels to each other and to Godzilla '54)

The only Heisei Godzilla movies I'd personally recommend are vs Biollante and vs Destroyah, and maybe Return of Godzilla. Everything else ranged from boringly mediocre to really bad imo.

Godzilla vs Megalon is my favorite Showa-era film, and yes, I do realize how terrible it is. That's part of its charm imo.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CPL593H posted:

The secret is drinks with lots of sugar in them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GW22sAElpE

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's not really an own if you just proudly announce that you're a dipshit out to rile people up for fun

like i realize goons have trouble distinguishing between taste and personality but the reason nobody likes you is not because of the difference in taste

You appear to also be mad, but for slightly different, more embarrassing reasons.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CPL593H posted:

I built a tolerance to crappy tasting alcohol in my youth by drinking six shot americanos with no cream or anything. I also enjoy the taste of just plain sparkling water, which is what most beer tastes like to me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Some good news: AMC Theaters will NOT be going under this year.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I prefer whiskey, but I find that a decent-quality tequila is usually the smoothest experience.

KVeezy3 posted:

As someone who's only experience of kaiju film is Pacific Rim 1, is there a good place to start?

The question people have skipped is: what did you like about Pacific Rim, if anything?

‘Cause, like, one thing to keep in mind is that Pacific Rim does not really resemble most kaiju films at all. (‘Mecha’ stories where they face off against monsters are almost exclusively a television phenomenon.)

The movie that Pacific Rim is almost directly ripping off, for example, is Godzilla x Mechagodzilla (2002) - but that‘s a slightly ‘meta’ film that relies on you having seen both Godzilla 1954 and Mothra 1961 to make sense.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Had baiju once which was remarkably smooth tasting

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
CPL drink the baijiu.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I am as of very recently a "naltrexone and very carefully prescribed courses of valium" style drinker

Previously malort

I remember being completely in love with Godzilla vs. Destroyah as a kid, it's extremely Creature Featurey

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 26, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Klowner posted:

Nah, all alcohol tastes terrible. but I'll let you in on a little secret.... People don't drink it for the taste

I mean, obviously. But there are people who say they think this thing or that tastes great. I should have started drinking as a teenager like a normal person.

duz posted:

The secret is drinks with lots of sugar in them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GW22sAElpE

That's the first thing I thought of.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

CPL drink the baijiu.

I don't know what a baijiu is.

edit: I probably should have picked a user name a bit less clunky than CPL593H, but this what happens when you can't think of anything else and you have a song stuck in your head.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 26, 2021

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I don't know what a baijiu is.

Chinese hooch, without any particular recipe, same way Europe can make vodka out of just whatever's laying around

I think it's the most drunk drink in the world

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 26, 2021

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also Happy Invasion day

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like wine, some beers (crafty but not IPAs, which I find too heavy), and lots of sweeter drinks: port, sherry, Madeira, sloe and damson gins, etc. Oh, and a good G&T is delicious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All alcohol is bitter but some of it still tastes pretty good, at least from what I can tell from cooking with some of it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Good drinks for someone that can’t abide an ethanol note:

-Mai Tai
-Moscow Mule
-Jungle Bird (this is a strong drink, but the flavor comes from the funky, almost leathery taste of Jamaican rum. It’s not “alcohol” taste like you recall.)
-Cuban Cocktail #2
-Old Fashioned (you might not expect this, because it’s one of the foremost “pretty much just whiskey” cocktails, but the whole idea is that the sugar and water mellow out the alcohol taste, bringing the oak, spice and sweetness of let’s say bourbon forward and accenting it with bitters for seasoning.)
-Why Not (whiskey sours are gross and badly balanced. These aren’t.)
-Gordon’s Cup (a totally different experience than a standard cocktail. Refreshing, crisp, and savory all at once!)

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 26, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/DeepfakesGeorg/status/1354006584427311105?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WyattDuncan/status/1353811399542099969?s=20

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The question people have skipped is: what did you like about Pacific Rim, if anything?

‘Cause, like, one thing to keep in mind is that Pacific Rim does not really resemble most kaiju films at all. (‘Mecha’ stories where they face off against monsters are almost exclusively a television phenomenon.)

The movie that Pacific Rim is almost directly ripping off, for example, is Godzilla x Mechagodzilla (2002) - but that‘s a slightly ‘meta’ film that relies on you having seen both Godzilla 1954 and Mothra 1961 to make sense.

Good point - I should have included that info in the original request.

I thought the “drifting” concept was cool and well done, but the story as a whole rather unfocused, like presenting the idea that humanity’s ecological abuse invited the kaijus, and then drifting off rather underwhelmingly from there. In addition the action sequences made me think the kaiju genre wasn’t for me, and it was only through this forum that I learned that kaiju enthusiasts were down on Pacific Rim as well.

Also, I forgot to mention that I did see the Colossal film starring Anne Hathaway as well. I didn’t really like that film either, but I’m not sure that really counts as a kaiju film.

So to that end, I’m still not sure what I would like or not in a kaiju film, but there seems to be a consensus that the OG Godzilla remains a good place to start.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I assumed this was Chris Evans at first.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

I assumed this was Chris Evans at first.

Lol

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Dammit, I can't find the source of that pull-quote anywhere, which makes it less funny

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

All alcohol is an acquired taste. For awhile the only liquor I could drink straight was Fireball, because the syrupy Red Hots flavor overpowered the alcohol flavor. Thinking about that poo poo now just makes me gag, remembering how sugary it was.

KVeezy3 posted:

I thought the “drifting” concept was cool and well done, but the story as a whole rather unfocused, like presenting the idea that humanity’s ecological abuse invited the kaijus, and then drifting off rather underwhelmingly from there. In addition the action sequences made me think the kaiju genre wasn’t for me, and it was only through this forum that I learned that kaiju enthusiasts were down on Pacific Rim as well.

Pacific Rim's action scenes are fine enough I guess, but the classic kaiju material is dudes in rubber suits punching other dudes in rubber suits and kicking over models. Way less believable than Pacific Rim, but way more fun. There are also complaints that Pacific Rim keeps the wack balance of way too much boring human story vs robots fighting of classic kaiju, but honestly the classic kaiju stories are way more interesting than Pacific Rim's stories. The original Godzilla's a pensive film that debates if creating a weapon more powerful than the atom bomb is worth it, or if it might create something more horrible than Godzilla down the line. Or take Godzilla vs. Gigan, which is about space cockroaches disguised as humans building a memorial peace park to honor Godzilla, but which is actually a messaging beacon to summon King Ghidorah and Gigan from Planet X. Way more interesting than "oh no Idris Elba can't get in a jaeger or he'll die oh wait we can't even soak in that he's getting into the jaeger in the very next scene."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

Also, I forgot to mention that I did see the Colossal film starring Anne Hathaway as well. I didn’t really like that film either, but I’m not sure that really counts as a kaiju film.

So to that end, I’m still not sure what I would like or not in a kaiju film, but there seems to be a consensus that the OG Godzilla remains a good place to start.

The kaiju references in Colossal are pretty much totally parody, so you're right there.

From a historical perspective, the two most 'important' kaiju films are the original King Kong (which holds up extremely well because of its bluntly problematic racial themes) and The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (which is solid 1950s sci-fi, with top-notch effects). Those two are like the rosetta stone of the genre. Godzilla 1954 remains the best example of kaiju as apocalyptic horror, for example - which is why it's a good recommendation - but it's effectively a direct ripoff of Beast. So it may help to know that the genre originated in 1950s sci-fi and earlier 'jungle adventure' movies.

The animals just got progressively bigger and more surreally metaphorical, while the films gradually incorporated more pulp pseudoscience and conspiracy theory elements (psychics, aliens, etc.). Gamera: Guardian Of The Universe is one of the best films in the genre but, by 1995, the fact that the giant dinosaur-creatures are psychics that hail from Atlantis is just part of the genre vocabulary. Consequently, there's a whole spectrum of kaiju films, like how superhero films can range from Death Wish to Aquaman. Even nowadays, the genre is still roughly split between apocalyptic horror (e.g. Cloverfield) and 'lighter' sci-fi adventure (e.g. Rampage).

Pacific Rim is where it gets really decadent and divorced from the more interesting stuff, imo.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 26, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
20 Million Miles to Earth(1957) is another Harryhausen that feels like it fits the mold of a kaiju film.

For me Harryhausen is really where it's at.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pacific Rim is more a Hollywood attempt at a giant robot movie that happens to use kaiju as the names for the monsters they fight. The themes get very different when the kaiju are explicitly the antagonists fought on equal level by the protagonists, rather than nigh-incomprehensible forces of nature. (Evangeleon is probably the main outlier here, but that does a lot of things differently)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just watch Ultra Q

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Butt Boy should be a cined classic I think

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pacific Rim is more a Hollywood attempt at a giant robot movie that happens to use kaiju as the names for the monsters they fight. The themes get very different when the kaiju are explicitly the antagonists fought on equal level by the protagonists, rather than nigh-incomprehensible forces of nature. (Evangeleon is probably the main outlier here, but that does a lot of things differently)

To describe it a bit less cynically, I think Del Toro was really just trying to put his childhood imagination directly on-screen, so naturally as a kid all he really cared about was "giant monsters and robots are gonna fight each other!!" It's like what if an 8 year old was given a hundred million dollars, what kind of movie would they make?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

20 Million Miles to Earth(1957) is another Harryhausen that feels like it fits the mold of a kaiju film.

For me Harryhausen is really where it's at.

20 Million Miles is dope but, although Harryhausen obviously deserves recognition, I like to note that the directors are often kaiju auteurs themselves. 20 Million Miles' Nathan Juran also did Deadly Mantis and Attack Of The 50-Foot Woman, while Beast From 20,000 Fathoms' Eugene Lourie also did Giant Behemoth and Gorgo.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At that point that you introduce mechs, you've introduced a society that's organized around the production of mechs - which means you're doing Starship Troopers. Even Evangelion is basically just doing the Starship Troopers thing, and the best mecha film (Robot Jox) is a satire in the same vein as Death Race 2000.

What the comparison to GxMG illustrates is that Pacific Rim is best understood as the 30th installment of some ancient franchise that never actually existed. Like if the first Bond film was Die Another Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

Just watch Ultra Q

this is also good advice