Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
sometimes you play a game and you like it more than it probably deserves. maybe it has cool music over bad gameplay? maybe it has interesting characters in a buggy world? maybe it tries to do something unique or interesting, but the devs don't quite have the skill or budget to achieve it? or maybe it just inexplicably gets its hooks into you somehow. either way, you somehow end up liking it unironically, even though you know it's not exactly great.

i played a surprising amount of Mighty Bomb Jack when it landed on the switch subscription nes app. it has a really weird jumping mechanic that emphasizes madly tapping the button to hover, monsters spawn randomly around the screen every few seconds instead of being carefully placed, the game actively punishes you for getting too many powerups ("YOU ARE GREEDY GO TO THE TORTURE ROOM") and the level designer has a grudge against you that reaches the point of warp zones that send you backwards, but for some reason i just kept trying to push deeper, seeing how far i could get before the game spawned a mummy on top of me with a quarter-second of warning. it's weird and hostile, but it's also decently challenging with a lot of secrets to dig up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ngsg86R7w

so what about you? what's your favorite mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I famously played APB for nearly 20 hours a day for the three months the company that made it wasn't bankrupt and then another month after it was rereleased, and was considering selling my plasma to preorder it so I could play three days early when it released as well.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Now then. *cracks knuckles* Games I like, even though their not good? Let's see...

DOOM (1993)
DOOM II
Quake
Quake III Arena
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario 64
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls III
Ratz Instagib 2.0
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

anything with Star Wars in the name

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I put one million hours into Spore OP

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also i got extremely addicted to Tiny Tower so i was walking around saying "my tin y tower" this and "my tiny tower" that for a comically long time until i realized it sounded like i was talking about my penis.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I remember this game kicking a ton of rear end so I’m never going to replay it and ruin it

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Final Fantasy XI, which I still play.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jak 2 and Jak 3. I've played these too many times even though they honestly suck, especially 3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kongming posted:

tbh i'm kinda amazed the servers are still up almost 20 years after launch, stunning longevity

also like once a year i'll spend an afternoon throwing myself at Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. it's pretty sloppy (the way you turn around is very strange compared to other platformers, like it turns you around at your nose instead of at the center of your body) with a lot of instant-death traps and shops that demand grinding for health refils or weapon upgrades, but there's some wonderfully weird monster designs (especially in the mecha bits) and each level likes to throw new ideas at you for a surprisingly brief amount of time (oh, here's the upside down bit. here's the toxic pipes...) it tries to avoid getting boring, and i like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ldb8F_4F6g

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The Kins posted:

tbh i'm kinda amazed the servers are still up almost 20 years after launch, stunning longevity

They keep it running with a skeleton crew so they probably still pull profits from it. I doubt it will shut down any time soon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to stop my eye from twitching at wormskull's obvious troll post

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

isn't there a guy with like a wall of monitors ozymandias style playing final fantasy 11? that's probably enough to keep them profitable on its own, lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

isn't there a guy with like a wall of monitors ozymandias style playing final fantasy 11? that's probably enough to keep them profitable on its own, lol

Lot's of people play it running multiple accounts at once, yes. But uh...I would never do something like that...noooo way lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i fuckin love the way of the samurai games even though they're super jank and kind of bad, also i played the hell out of the wizards and warriors games for nes even though the second wasnt very good

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Friday the 13th, Jaws, and A Nightmare on Elm Street are all kinda lovely but also oddly fun in their own ways.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Kongming posted:

I played hella FFXI between CoP and WotG.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I also played a lot of Sigma Star Saga for the GBA. It was a kind of repetitive scrolling shooter type game but it had a fun gear collecting/evolving system and a little RPG hub between levels. I do not remember a single thing about the story.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

This was cool and I remember having a lot of fun with the tie-in third person shooter for Wanted.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fungah! posted:

i fuckin love the way of the samurai games even though they're super jank and kind of bad, also i played the hell out of the wizards and warriors games for nes even though the second wasnt very good
If Wizards and Warriors 3 had a save or password system it would be a pretty fun game. It has some interesting ideas.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i forget if it was ken griffey jr. or roger clemens baseball that let you rename all the players, but my brothers and i played way too much of that so that we could name our team after us and our friends and the other, stinky team after the people we didn't like.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

throw my science project on the floor, will you, C. Fittante? well let's you see you hit this curveball. now all the pixels in the crowd are booing you.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

If Wizards and Warriors 3 had a save or password system it would be a pretty fun game. It has some interesting ideas.

yeah, i think i liked that one most. 2 was too long and complex for what it was and 1 was way too easy, 3 was probably the best of them

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thinking about it, it's a shame the whole series didnt come out like two years later, 2 and 3 would have been badass snes games and the better hardware probably would have let them get closer to what they wanted to do, and 1 looked pretty nice for a nes game. what could have been, i guess

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

One of the later Might and Magic games made after they stopped caring had a really great card game built into it with different opponents at all the taverns. I got to the point where I was levelling up my characters to learn flight and invisibility spells just so I could sneak through overlevelled areas in search of the next hit of this game.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That Sol Seraph game SEGA put out a couple year's back is Actraiser with tower building/defense instead of the sim part. It's butt ugly in the platforming sections, but is still fun in the clunky way Actraiser's side-scrolling parts were. I don't even like tower defense games but this one was basic enough that I had fun with it.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I have played and beaten two (2) sword art online games now. I kinda really enjoy the franchise but jesus the games are buggy messes with insanely lovely and constant load screens that sometimes are longer than the “cutscene” it loads.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
MC Kids was one of my favorite NES games, although that one might be straddling the line of "not very good". The explore an easy platforming area while looking for secrets style gameplay really clicked with me, and I remember the music being pretty good too.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah, and i played a shitload of urban champion. it wasnt a good game but it was the only 2p fighting game we had until i got my n64, apart from the fighting game mode on double dragon 3. i wouldn't say i liked it but it definitely served a purpose for me

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jak 2 and Jak 3. I've played these too many times even though they honestly suck, especially 3.

I remember sinking an insane amount of time into Jak X

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I had Mighty Bomb Jack as a kid and hated it mainly because you can't even defeat enemies except for one rare powerup. Maybe I'd 'get it' if I played it now.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is not only incredibly mediocre, it also nearly bankrupt the state of Rhode Island because Kurt Schilling was seen as a god at the time, and they gave him a 69 million dollar loan. That said, I played it twice and had a lot of fun with it. Reminded me of the old double A game titles that disappeared. I'm going to play the remaster at some point too.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
always enjoyed Doom 3 for the atmosphere even though it sucks out loud in about a thousand different ways

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

XIII was fun (original, not the remake)

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like low budget platforming collectathon type games like Vexx or Jersey Devil.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Disney's Toontown

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
n64 mission impossible

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Banjo-kazooie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis