Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

eTrade was down at open as I just decided to sell off my BB position. That one cost me about 2 grand. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I just sold off my BB as well. Maybe it'll go back up, but i'm happy with +$1000 in pocket.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Deviant posted:

I just sold off my BB as well. Maybe it'll go back up, but i'm happy with +$1000 in pocket.

:hfive:

Gonna be down for the day but the BB rollercoaster yielded about 250% ROI whereas it was gonna be -65% this time last week. That's enough sadism for me.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Does anyone have any good resources on implied volatility or thoughts on a low risk high probability options play on GME?

My assumption is that IV on GME is going to crash after Friday, along with the stock going down quite a bit over the following weeks. To not hold a naked position but something with reasonable probability of small gains, I was looking into a bear put spread for 2/19 60p /50p options.. Volatility won’t change the break even but you’ll make more money closer to it. Risk $535 to make, at most $465 with a break even around $54. I’ll probably just play it out on paper with what RH quotes, but I’m interested in these types of plays for many small wins...

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 26, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a share of GME at 88 hoping it'll go up to 150ish today for a free cool 50. Watching the stock is giving me stress though I should just sell it

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
oh god yasir don't say somethign stupid

e: faber asked yasir al-rumayyan directly about cciv and lucid but he just evaded tactfully, no panic sell off this time

thats not candy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 26, 2021

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
lol Chamath bought into GME

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Axel Serenity posted:

lol Chamath bought into GME

lmao hell yeah. i bet melvin felt that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

thats not candy posted:

oh god yasir don't say somethign stupid

e: faber asked yasir al-rumayyan directly about cciv and lucid but he just evaded tactfully, no panic sell off this time

Aaaaand it’s back to normal-ish.

My CCL call is down 54% but it doesn’t expire until July. At this point losing the other 46% would just be a small dip in my CCIV and GIK gains so I’m gonna keep holding and hope nobody starts peeing in this well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

CCIV is making me grumpy today.

Stupid stock! Be worth more!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

heads up folks, ARK big ideas brief is today:
https://twitter.com/ARKInvest/status/1354087258358505476?s=20

gonna be a lot of momentum into whatever they highlight

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
It hit my target price that I needed to make 20% so I got off mr. gamestop's wild ride & am very happy to not be on it

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Hi,

I'm new to this world. I had some questions (if it's suited more towards the other thread I can move it) and I'm hoping for some help.

A couple months ago I opened a new bank account and set aside some money that I'm calling my cowboy money that I was gonna use for dumb purchases and sports bets. Then later I opened an RH account and put a percentage of my play money in there to mess around. Originally I just bought a couple shares ICLN and would just check on it every couple days and say, "wow cool" and marvel at gaining a dollar. Then the GameStop thing happened.

Watching GSE, and the other WSB stocks, has been nauseating and a rush. And it got me reading a lot more about stocks and trying to learn a lot more.

I watched the video about the wheel (as well as the two videos on covered calls and cash-covered puts) and that seems cool and makes sense. In the video it's recommended using a stock that you don't mind holding/that you believe in which makes sense. But I don't have a ton of money in this account and I can't really buy 100 shares of what my ignorant brain thinks would be good for this. So my first question is if there's cheaper stocks ($10-$30) that are relatively stable that would be good for this or are they too volatile at that price? If that stuff is kind of a secret, or I need to put in the work myself, I get that too, which brings me to my next question.

People (the internet) talk about researching companies before buying stock which makes sense of course. The DDs (is it deep dive or due diligence or either?) how do you go about researching that? I don't know where that information people find is. I'm sure it's public, but where can I find it? Is there a good, "hey here's some questions you should definitely be asking" list when looking at a company?

While I'm having fun watching all these stocks go up, it's my understanding this market isn't going to last. What exactly do people do in a bear(?) market? Or depression? Is the goal to pull money out? Do many of the same things work just more slowly? I bet the answer to this question is a big-fat "it depends" but I'd feel irresponsible at least not trying to get more information.

Alternatively, play money go brrrrrrrrrr.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

moctopus posted:

While I'm having fun watching all these stocks go up, it's my understanding this market isn't going to last. What exactly do people do in a bear(?) market? Or depression? Is the goal to pull money out? Do many of the same things work just more slowly? I bet the answer to this question is a big-fat "it depends" but I'd feel irresponsible at least not trying to get more information.

Pull money out, hedge with options to try and stay neutral or even go positive. It's mostly about weathering the storm and picking up some stuff on deep discount. I got one hell of a deal on LYB last March.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Deviant posted:

CCIV is making me grumpy today.

Stupid stock! Be worth more!

considering the prepared "no-comment, looking at all options" statement from yasir its doing much better than i thought it would

still expecting to be a mostly red week though if we get through FII without any more confirmation bias inducing stories. then a green friday as people park their funds back in to hedge against a monday morning announcement

we'll see :rolldice:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

moctopus posted:

Hi,

I'm new to this world. I had some questions (if it's suited more towards the other thread I can move it) and I'm hoping for some help.

A couple months ago I opened a new bank account and set aside some money that I'm calling my cowboy money that I was gonna use for dumb purchases and sports bets. Then later I opened an RH account and put a percentage of my play money in there to mess around. Originally I just bought a couple shares ICLN and would just check on it every couple days and say, "wow cool" and marvel at gaining a dollar. Then the GameStop thing happened.

Watching GSE, and the other WSB stocks, has been nauseating and a rush. And it got me reading a lot more about stocks and trying to learn a lot more.

I watched the video about the wheel (as well as the two videos on covered calls and cash-covered puts) and that seems cool and makes sense. In the video it's recommended using a stock that you don't mind holding/that you believe in which makes sense. But I don't have a ton of money in this account and I can't really buy 100 shares of what my ignorant brain thinks would be good for this. So my first question is if there's cheaper stocks ($10-$30) that are relatively stable that would be good for this or are they too volatile at that price? If that stuff is kind of a secret, or I need to put in the work myself, I get that too, which brings me to my next question.

People (the internet) talk about researching companies before buying stock which makes sense of course. The DDs (is it deep dive or due diligence or either?) how do you go about researching that? I don't know where that information people find is. I'm sure it's public, but where can I find it? Is there a good, "hey here's some questions you should definitely be asking" list when looking at a company?

Most public companies put materials on their investor relations page of their website. See also shareholder calls -- these are often extremely boring and everything they say is carefully crafted, but they can't lie (without obvious future ramifications anyway).

Go read reminisces of a stock operator. The audiobook is also good. If you're hanging out in this thread, you're well on your way to blowing up your account multiple times. That book will detail what that looks like and how quickly it could happen before computers existed.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

moctopus posted:

Lol the end of this

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

pixaal posted:

Pull money out, hedge with options to try and stay neutral or even go positive. It's mostly about weathering the storm and picking up some stuff on deep discount. I got one hell of a deal on LYB last March.

leper khan posted:

Most public companies put materials on their investor relations page of their website. See also shareholder calls -- these are often extremely boring and everything they say is carefully crafted, but they can't lie (without obvious future ramifications anyway).

Go read reminisces of a stock operator. The audiobook is also good. If you're hanging out in this thread, you're well on your way to blowing up your account multiple times. That book will detail what that looks like and how quickly it could happen before computers existed.

Thanks, it means a lot.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

moctopus posted:

You hunker down and wait for daylight.

Do not pull money out. When the stock market recovers, it recovers in big jumps on single days for the most part.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

moctopus posted:

Hi,

Honestly those are loaded questions - I’d start with checking out YouTube videos, Investopedia, reading links from this thread and on the Reddit boards. Just a couple days of aimless clicking will probably give you a better feel and more concrete questions that you can take action on.

For due diligence stuff you probably want to look up Fundamental Analysis. If you like seeing analysis based on moving averages and the price and volume and all those stock market numbers, look up Technical Analysis.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

thats not candy posted:

considering the prepared "no-comment, looking at all options" statement from yasir its doing much better than i thought it would

still expecting to be a mostly red week though if we get through FII without any more confirmation bias inducing stories. then a green friday as people park their funds back in to hedge against a monday morning announcement

we'll see :rolldice:

yeah, it can sit, but without BB i need something new to obssess over.

please enjoy this hastily thrown together meme on the subject

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

moctopus posted:

Hi,

Look at this putz.

Just buy gme

Thank you

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

Honestly those are loaded questions - I’d start with checking out YouTube videos, Investopedia, reading links from this thread and on the Reddit boards. Just a couple days of aimless clicking will probably give you a better feel and more concrete questions that you can take action on.

For due diligence stuff you probably want to look up Fundamental Analysis. If you like seeing analysis based on moving averages and the price and volume and all those stock market numbers, look up Technical Analysis.

And whatever sources you are using BEWARE. There are absolutely shady actors out there who will try and mislead you to manipulate the price of securities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt1B-hpluCc

To echo what others have said moctopus, reading financial statements is I believe extremely important for any investor. After all if you don't do that, how are you supposed to estimate a companies value? Without a good value estimate how do you know if you are getting a good price? Valuing a company is like looking up the Kelly Blue Book value of a car before buying. It doesn't guarantee you aren't getting a lemon, but it can save you from getting ripped off.

Here's a friendly intro to reading a companies financials from a professional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vdmHxcuGTY

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Now that I bailed on BB and have cash sitting around what are some good semi safe stocks I can park my.money in while I take a breather? Just need a break of sweating each point move for a while.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

heads up folks, ARK big ideas brief is today:
(tweet link)

gonna be a lot of momentum into whatever they highlight

I just bought a little bit of $MAXR in anticipation of this. MAXR is the top holding in both UFO and ROKT space ETFs and has a good website (they genuinely do useful things in space). It already spiked up to $59 in anticipation of ARKX but is trading back down around $49 today.

Might sell this tomorrow, might hold it for months. We'll see.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

cr0y posted:

Now that I bailed on BB and have cash sitting around what are some good semi safe stocks I can park my.money in while I take a breather? Just need a break of sweating each point move for a while.

spacs? I parked a bunch in BTAQ to keep my degenerate fingers off it and it will probably have a pop here in the next month. There might be something else closer to nav though

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
how much has retail investing contributed to the asset bubble we are in?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Bailed AMC. I need to take a day off trading and let my mind recover.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

thats not candy posted:

spacs? I parked a bunch in BTAQ to keep my degenerate fingers off it and it will probably have a pop here in the next month. There might be something else closer to nav though

My current near-nav babies are SCVX, AACQ and CRHC.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How does one find and evaluate SPACs?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
SPACs subreddit or just ask me

My spreadsheet is tied up on my work computer, which has been in IT limbo since Friday

Hope I get it back soon

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NOK falling today grrr

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

can anyone explain to me, an idiot, why JNJ 200 1-29 calls seem to have popped? or is the volume so low it's insignificant?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

NOK falling today grrr

Yeah I'm pissed I bought at open, but for me it's a long term 5+ year hold.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah I'm pissed I bought at open, but for me it's a long term 5+ year hold.

“I’m pissed that nothing is really happening for my 5 year hold play”

This sounds dumber than all of wsb honestly

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Should I regret investing in Nintendo?

They've just been declining over and over the past week.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no because it’ll likely go up once super Mario world at universal opens up next week

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Nitr0 posted:

“I’m pissed that nothing is really happening for my 5 year hold play”

This sounds dumber than all of wsb honestly

I was trying to say it's not a big deal, considering I'm gonna hold it for that long, and over the long run, one day doesn't mean poo poo.

Maybe I typed it out wrong. I just got the second dose of the pfizer vaccine and I feel like I ran into a brick wall. Tired, achy, stomach hurts. No fever thankfully. Apparently all those are common side effects though.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

can anyone explain to me, an idiot, why JNJ 200 1-29 calls seem to have popped? or is the volume so low it's insignificant?
Vaccine anticipation? But that's supposed to be next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Damnit Ford get your poo poo together