Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Simone Magus posted:

Despite being wildly uneven, there's definitely enough charm to keep me watching. Just... so many odd decisions, especially since Rihanna was so heavily involved.

She and Narrativia were locked out around 2016 and basically disavowed it in 2019/20.
https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/1218530606595878915
https://discworldmonthly.co.uk/terrypratchett_thewatchseries.php for a timeline breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Whatever, just give me more Ryan Hansen as Dick.

Speaking of Ryan Hansen, what happened to that web show where he played himself trying to convince the Veronica Mars cast to make a show with Dick as a private investigator? Is it worth trying to track it down?

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 26, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

She and Narrativia were locked out around 2016 and basically disavowed it in 2019/20.

Ohhhh that explains a lot :(

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of Ryan Hansen, what happened to that web show where he played himself trying to convince the Veronica Mars cast to make a show with Dick as a private investigator? Is it worth trying to track it down?

It was fine, I wouldn't go to any great effort to find it, but it's worth watching if you are a fan.

Later on he did Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes on Television for youtube, that one is a lot more fun.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
They made Vetinari female, which is absolutely fine, but the posters around the city with "Lord Vetinari" on them clearly show an entirely different person who seems to be male, owing to the beard

But Vimes calls her "sir"

This production is a mess. HOW DO YOU DO A SERIES ON THE WATCH WITHOUT NOBBY OR FRED COLON???

I have so many questions

Edit: and they replaced Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler with a young woman in a wheelchair named Throat who, it must be pointed out, does not sell sausages inna bun

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

isaboo posted:

How about Waldo?

In one S4 episode he's even wearing a red and white striped sweater. That's who he reminds me of anyway

I thought Waldo too when I saw him in that jumper haha, I think it must be a mix of every answer so far.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

Edit: and they replaced Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler with a young woman in a wheelchair named Throat who, it must be pointed out, does not sell sausages inna bun

I haven't even made the connection. Well, it's 'inspired by characters of Terry Pratchett'.

My bigger gripe so far was that trolls can be killed by arrows.

Loving the set, though. It really has the spirit of Ankh-Morpork.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The guy playing Death is also a highlight. Angua is good but not given much to do so far. Ridcully is far too much of a regular Gandalf, where in the books he's more like Ron Swanson

I'm still enjoying it but man I really wanna know how they came to some of these decisions

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Simone Magus posted:

The guy playing Death is also a highlight. Angua is good but not given much to do so far. Ridcully is far too much of a regular Gandalf, where in the books he's more like Ron Swanson

I'm still enjoying it but man I really wanna know how they came to some of these decisions

Wendell Pierce, aka Bunk Moreland in The Wire, is playing Death.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

Wendell Pierce, aka Bunk Moreland in The Wire, is playing Death.

I thought he sounded familiar! Nice

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah the production gets so much wrong [And I don't mean that in a "Adapting Pratchett" way, I mean that in a fundamental production standards way], but the things that work work really well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

isaboo posted:

Yeah. How it all unfolds is bonkers.

Between that and Servant I've been doing a lot of :stonk: myself

Reached the S2 finale and :stonk:

How have I never heard about this show before??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Reached the S2 finale and :stonk:

How have I never heard about this show before??

It was on TBS.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very few people watched it until it hit HBO Max, and there was a gap of almost 3 years between seasons 2 and 3. It was definitely one of the many shows I mentioned in these threads over the years where the discussions never really gained any traction because nobody was watching it haha

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Simone Magus posted:

I always saw Ridcully as more like Brian Blessed playing King Richard in the first Blackadder series myself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uh, this wasn't on my bingo card for 2021.

https://www.engadget.com/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neat!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Checked out the first few minutes of the first episode (but not "The Gathering" since as it says that wasn't remastered). Live footage is nice and clean, though low budget as everyone knows. You see a nice grain structure in the footage, though I don't think they spent a bunch of effort on color grading and looks like the original film stock is pretty limited in dynamic range.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 26, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well I was pretty much locked into watching search party until this post

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just remembered what a piece of poo poo Jerry Doyle turned into post B5.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks to the TVIV 2020 Poll and the recommendations in this thread I finally watched Ted Lasso.

It was pretty great and pretty much what everyone said it was about being an overall nice show. If anything, people vastly undersold the pathos and legitimate drama of the characters.

10/10 Will watch again!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I just remembered what a piece of poo poo Jerry Doyle turned into post B5.
He was always a piece of poo poo. Garibaldi was basically Doyle and Garibaldi was a loving cop. #ACAB

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slamhound posted:

He was always a piece of poo poo. Garibaldi was basically Doyle and Garibaldi was a loving cop. #ACAB

Yeah but he got loud about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At this point, I try to focus on people involved in a production that aren't pieces of poo poo because it's not fair to them to discount the whole work due to one person. That's not to say I don't understand if someone can't do that, but that's the peace I've made. This is especially true in this case when the person is dead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jim DiGriz posted:

Especially when he doesn't do those weird overblown facial expressions. I don't get the point of those. But when he acts as a human from time to time, it works really well.
Honestly a good summary for Pratchett's writing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

At this point, I try to focus on people involved in a production that aren't pieces of poo poo because it's not fair to them to discount the whole work due to one person. That's not to say I don't understand if someone can't do that, but that's the peace I've made. This is especially true in this case when the person is dead.

Oh I'm gonna watch the gently caress out of it in HD. It just sucks that so many great actors had to put up with his bullshit.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Oh I'm gonna watch the gently caress out of it in HD. It just sucks that so many great actors had to put up with his bullshit.
I will also watch the everloving gently caress out of the HD.

The only truly offputting thing about Doyle’s B5 behavior (that I know) is his creeping on Andrea Thompson. The rest is just standard workplace politics chat.

Other than that, JMS did a great job basing Garibaldi off of Doyle and Doyle did a fantastic job creating a compelling and nuanced fascist. And I’m not being snarky.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would simply watch a better show about a space station in a contested region of space instead of the one with Microsoft Encarta tier SFX

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I would simply watch a better show about a space station in a contested region of space instead of the one with Microsoft Encarta tier SFX

you sonuuvabitch

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Babylon 5 was not stationed in a contested region of space. Quite the contrary, the Epsilon Eridani system was the jump point to multiple worlds and the accepted crossroads for the major powers.

So maybe you should shut the gently caress up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seemed pretty loving contested to me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:gizz: you just made my day and ruined my wife’s :hai:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My girlfriend has decided to watch Sex and the City again so I'm getting exposure to a lot of the show, and it's crazy to me how many future stars make appearances before their big break in early seasons. Todd Barry is one of those throwaway talking heads in like the second episode. Will Arnett and James Urbaniak are in the same episode. Bradley Cooper shows up for two scenes. They haven't shown up yet, but I remember Tony Hale and Michael Showalter being in early episodes as well from the last time my GF watched it. And I think Trump was the first major celebrity who's already a celebrity who shows up on the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm save someone else some time: no, they didn't.

quote:

Despite the majority of the show being shot on film, it remains hamstrung by its low budget and low-res effects sequences.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One other thing I've noticed about the CGI in Babylon 5 after this remaster is that it was clearly rendered at something other than 24fps that the live action footage was filmed at. If I were to guess, I would say it's probably some multiple of 30 with the way it hitches in motion. A small nit to pick to be sure.

What I love is now though that the original film was scanned at 4k and is now archived. The show is preserved. 5 years, 10 years, 20 years down the line someone could re-render all of the CGI elements and it would be a simple edit insert. Future AI upscale tech could potentially clean up some of the film stock of the masters. There's possibility now. It's such a massive improvement over the DVDs.

CBS/Viacom needs to take note. Even if all they did for DS9 and (sigh) Voyager (I guess) is scan the live action footage and upscaled the effects shots, that would leave HOPE for the future. If Time Warner thinks they can they can recoup this investment on this cult but niche property, then it has to be worthwhile for CBS/Viacom to do so for Paramount+ which has Star Trek as a tentpole franchise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Show still looks like a 1970s BBC production even at 8k

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

One other thing I've noticed about the CGI in Babylon 5 after this remaster is that it was clearly rendered at something other than 24fps that the live action footage was filmed at. If I were to guess, I would say it's probably some multiple of 30 with the way it hitches in motion. A small nit to pick to be sure.

It's not even a multiple of 30 because it's stuttery on a 60hz monitor. It stutters in 24p on my tv also. Something is weirdly hosed with the CGI frame rate, and it wasn't like this in Vudu's old version and the DVDs as well. They also went overboard on contrast (shadows are horribly crushed in some scenes, I was watching Hour of the Wolf and Londo's purple coat was almost black and blending in with the background), and all of season 3 has a weird greenish tint to it.

OTHERWISE it's still probably the best release we'll see of the show for now, until the cgi assets are restored cause they exist, floating around in the fan community and people put out renders like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgWXhuDG_E

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 26, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hope and vaseline posted:

It's not even a multiple of 30 because it's stuttery on a 60hz monitor. It stutters in 24p on my tv also.

It's all in a 24fps container now so you wouldn't be able to 'unstutter' it watching on a 60hz display. The jitters are baked into the master at this point. The DVDs would have been 480i60 (i think) with the streaming likely de-interlaced to 480p60. So, you would get 3:2 pulldown jitters on the live action, but that's something we've been conditioned as normal. Stuffing 30fps into 24fps just isn't something that's done easily or well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 26, 2021

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's all in a 24fps container now so you wouldn't be able to 'unstutter' it watching on a 60hz display. The jitters are baked into the master at this point.

ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothing has aged worse than 90s cgi. No not even my posts/face/small dick or whatever