Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Wenn richtiger gemacht, kann nicht verteidigen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Darko posted:

Season 1 was literally all Audi and Porsche. I noticed because I thought that was a really weird dealership.

Audi and Porsche, both owned by VW. Sorta makes sense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Who really gives a poo poo about the cars? Near as I can tell the only thing you need to know is that there are rival dealerships and a manufacturer in Japan that needed squaring away. Fictitious brands or whatever don't really have any affect on the story.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

BiggerBoat posted:

Who really gives a poo poo about the cars? Near as I can tell the only thing you need to know is that there are rival dealerships and a manufacturer in Japan that needed squaring away. Fictitious brands or whatever don't really have any affect on the story.

Of course. We're just talking about it from an interesting production trivia point of view.

I don't think anyone is lamenting for a return to European cars or complaining about the inconsistencies ruining our immersion of the Karate Kid universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The silliest thing about this season is that Kreese is still a physical threat to anyone. In season 1 you got the idea that even though Larusso and Jimmy could still kick rear end, their age had caught up with them somewhat, hence why the big fights were more about the kids. But now we're at the point where karate is so magical that a 75 year old ex-hobo is still a final boss level dangerous fighter. IMO he should be more of an ideological threat, which is what he was in S2.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Next season should have them battle an aikido or other fake martial arts master

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The silliest thing about this season is that Kreese is still a physical threat to anyone. In season 1 you got the idea that even though Larusso and Jimmy could still kick rear end, their age had caught up with them somewhat, hence why the big fights were more about the kids. But now we're at the point where karate is so magical that a 75 year old ex-hobo is still a final boss level dangerous fighter. IMO he should be more of an ideological threat, which is what he was in S2.

The fight scene with Kreese was pretty cringy because the actor's age really shows.

With that said, I enjoy the camp so I just go with it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
In the opening episode of season 2 the actual Kreese actor does a front round kick where he brings his leg up to his head height and that is pretty impressive for a guy in his mid 70s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe this will lead to a Hard Time On Planet Earth revival.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Kreese pulls off an old man strength vibe pretty well. And you don’t have to be an MMA champion to catch someone by surprise and cut their finger off with a cigar cutter.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The fight scene with Kreese was pretty cringy because the actor's age really shows.

With that said, I enjoy the camp so I just go with it.

Same.

But to me it mostly showed in his face. I get serious uncanny valley plastic surgery vibes looking at my man's mug. He looks like early stage de-aging software took a run at him and he creeps me out.

If I can buy Mr. Miyagi kicking rear end I can suspend disbelief enough to accept Kreese doing it and he does come off strong at least.

Unrelated to anything, not sure if anyone here is a fan of the We Hate Movies podcast but in honor of the Kobra Kai show I went back and listened to their Karate Kid and Karate Kid 3 episodes and they're pretty great. If anyone's interested, look it up or I can post a link.

They also did a riff on the Karate Kid cartoon series, which I never knew existed.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 21, 2021

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Old men can be scary. My judo teacher a while back was a very high-ranking guy in his mid-70s who was an accomplished rear end-kicker in his youth, and even though physically he was just a fit but average-sized retiree, every time he got his grips on my jacket to casually demonstrate a throw, it activated the lizard part of my brain that said "I'm about to die". Kreese's actor does a good job of projecting that aura of menace, even if his physical skills are mostly but not entirely able to back it up.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Who really gives a poo poo about the cars?

With ignorance like this it's no wonder they could actually get away with using a 2001 Dodge Caravan instead of an actual 1993 model. People are upset about quick-healing broken arms and no repercussions for trashed homes while not noticing such massive, immersion-ruining production mistakes.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I really like the switched point of view from Jonny's side.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

If I can buy Mr. Miyagi kicking rear end I can suspend disbelief enough to accept Kreese doing it and he does come off strong at least.

Fun fact: Ralph Macchio is older in this series than Pat Morita was playing Mr. Miyagi in the first film.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
To be fair, Mr. Miyagi was a demon sorcerer

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sand Monster posted:

Fun fact: Ralph Macchio is older in this series than Pat Morita was playing Mr. Miyagi in the first film.

I did some quick math on all this:

Miyagi 59 1984
Morita 52 1984

Machio 23 1984
Machio 60 2021

Laruso 18 1984
Laruso 55 2021

So the character of Daniel Larusso is younger than Mr. Miyagi was but Ralph Machio is older than Pat Morita was.

Plastic surgery is a hell of a drug.

This is assuming Google isn't lying to me on the character's birthdays.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

I like how this was actually a line in season 3.

edit:

PeterCat posted:

So the character of Daniel Larusso is younger than Mr. Miyagi was but Ralph Machio is older than Pat Morita was.

Maybe they retconned it just to use that factoid...

wa27 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 26, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

wa27 posted:

I like how this was actually a line in season 3.

Except it's not right because Daniel is still younger than Miyagi was when they met. Ralph Machio is older than Pat Morita was though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ralph Maccio is 60? :psyduck:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Astroman posted:

Ralph Maccio is 60? :psyduck:

Cocaine and plastic surgery keep you young!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PeterCat posted:

I did some quick math on all this:

Miyagi 59 1984
Morita 52 1984

Machio 23 1984
Machio 60 2021

Laruso 18 1984
Laruso 55 2021

Wait. He was 23 when they filmed the first Karate Kid? And his character was supposed to be 18? He looks like a skinny 14 year old!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Wait. He was 23 when they filmed the first Karate Kid? And his character was supposed to be 18? He looks like a skinny 14 year old!

Ralph Macchio was born in 1961. He was 21 years old when he did The Outsiders, playing a 14-year-old, and acting against 16-year-old C. Thomas Howell.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Even better he was 28 when Karate Kid III came out (his character is supposed to be 18)but the actress who plays his love interest was only 16. Which the writers finally realized was a little creepy.

quote:

After she was cast as Jessica Andrews in The Karate Kid Part III in 1989, producers were forced to modify her role of protagonist Daniel LaRusso's new love interest because Lively was only 16 at the time of filming and still a minor while Ralph Macchio was 27 (although his character Daniel is 18). This situation caused romantic scenes between Jessica and Daniel to be rewritten so that the pair only developed a close friendship.[3]

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This show's got some loving legs man.

Last October I saw more than one Halloween costume and today my 4th grader told me how all these kids at school are into this show called Kobra Kai.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Even better he was 28 when Karate Kid III came out (his character is supposed to be 18)but the actress who plays his love interest was only 16. Which the writers finally realized was a little creepy.

Supposedly it was Ralph himself that pointed this out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

See that doesn't surprise me because he absolutely looks like a bloated 30 year old in that movie.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

BiggerBoat posted:

This show's got some loving legs man.

Last October I saw more than one Halloween costume and today my 4th grader told me how all these kids at school are into this show called Kobra Kai.

Kobra Kai Karate, you say? Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GimpInBlack posted:

Kobra Kai Karate, you say? Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Right.

Along those lines, I don't think enough love is being given to the fact that Johnny brainstormed for days trying to come up with a new ultimate bad rear end name for his rival dojo and arrived at "Eagle Fang"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
eagle fangs are the only thing that can kill a cobra!

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Miyagi-do is named after the most dangerous predator of all: man!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Show is spilling out into real life

https://i.imgur.com/PnrbxLw.mp4

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Maybe it's just my newfangled brains talking, but I'm surprised they didn't just recast her. It's not like "Young, pretty, competent female actress" is a difficult brief to fulfill.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Propaganda Machine posted:

Maybe it's just my newfangled brains talking, but I'm surprised they didn't just recast her. It's not like "Young, pretty, competent female actress" is a difficult brief to fulfill.

I’m sure there was contractual and SAG considerations, but honestly it’s kind of refreshing that they recognized the creepiness but didn’t fire this young woman just to stick with always needing a love interest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

As someone who studied karate for a decade, it's actually pretty bad at protecting you from bullies, especially if they know how to wrestle.

Edit: Following MMA just wasn't the same for me after the nerds were replaced by guys with wrestling and boxing backgrounds.

I'm only halfway through season 2, but I think they kind of sort of low key acknowledge this with the Kyler (whose character is on the wrestling team) and any other time Miguel fights with someone. Even when Miguel wins the fights, he noticeably easily gets taken down whenever someone tries to grapple with him every time, like it's definitely a huge blind spot for him.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I’m sure there was contractual and SAG considerations, but honestly it’s kind of refreshing that they recognized the creepiness but didn’t fire this young woman just to stick with always needing a love interest.

The story I've always heard is that they studio didn't give a poo poo, and Maccio pushed hard to make sure he wasn't romancing a teenager.

No idea how true that is, though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Show is spilling out into real life

https://i.imgur.com/PnrbxLw.mp4

Won't someone protect us from these Karate Gangs roaming our streets?!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Disappointed to find out that Chozen is not Miguel's father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

PeterCat posted:

Disappointed to find out that Chozen is not Miguel's father.

Maybe the father can be the season 5 villain since season 4 seems to be setup already.

Google says Miguel is from Ecuador and his father is a criminal, so maybe his father knows Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Capoeira. We can have an "Only the Strong" cross-over. Not sure how that works, just throwing ideas out here.