Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pacific Rim is more a Hollywood attempt at a giant robot movie that happens to use kaiju as the names for the monsters they fight. The themes get very different when the kaiju are explicitly the antagonists fought on equal level by the protagonists, rather than nigh-incomprehensible forces of nature. (Evangeleon is probably the main outlier here, but that does a lot of things differently)

Yeah, it's more like Mazinger than any godziller film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The fact that giant robots have to be purposely built makes them much more fraught than giant monsters as a story convention.

For example, look at the classical Giant Robot show, Mazinger Z. Here, the military is helpless against the invasion of Dr. Hell. Dr. Hell is an archeologist (!!) whose giant robots are the unearthed war machines of the ancient past. Opposing him are a teenage biker, the teenager's buddies, and the local electric company. They fight back with a new, unduplicable giant robot that can't be matched by Dr. Hell's relics.

As it is, it's a story about a nontraditional Japanese teenager and his buddies fighting against people who are trying to bring back the past. But you get a very different story if you play with the details.

Consider if, instead of a teenager working for the electric company, the lead was an adult soldier. Or if instead of being a unique super hero, the Mazinger was massed produced military asset. Or if instead of being distinct war machines lead by a verbose wannabe fascist, the villains were generic monsters lead by incommunicable aliens.

It can get pretty nationalist pretty quick.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 26, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Good point keep talkin posted:

Had baiju once which was remarkably smooth tasting

You have to be the only person to have ever felt this way about baijiu

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pacific Rim's action scenes are fine enough I guess, but the classic kaiju material is dudes in rubber suits punching other dudes in rubber suits and kicking over models. Way less believable than Pacific Rim, but way more fun. There are also complaints that Pacific Rim keeps the wack balance of way too much boring human story vs robots fighting of classic kaiju, but honestly the classic kaiju stories are way more interesting than Pacific Rim's stories. The original Godzilla's a pensive film that debates if creating a weapon more powerful than the atom bomb is worth it, or if it might create something more horrible than Godzilla down the line. Or take Godzilla vs. Gigan, which is about space cockroaches disguised as humans building a memorial peace park to honor Godzilla, but which is actually a messaging beacon to summon King Ghidorah and Gigan from Planet X. Way more interesting than "oh no Idris Elba can't get in a jaeger or he'll die oh wait we can't even soak in that he's getting into the jaeger in the very next scene."

For sure: I didn't mean to say that the action sequences in Pacific Rim are bad in and of itself, but that I couldn't really separate how I felt about them apart from the overall story.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The kaiju references in Colossal are pretty much totally parody, so you're right there.

From a historical perspective, the two most 'important' kaiju films are the original King Kong (which holds up extremely well because of its bluntly problematic racial themes) and The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (which is solid 1950s sci-fi, with top-notch effects). Those two are like the rosetta stone of the genre.

I really appreciate this thoughtfully pan-optic answer.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There are also complaints that Pacific Rim keeps the wack balance of way too much boring human story vs robots fighting
This was my problem with Robot Jox as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fenix down posted:

This was my problem with Robot Jox as well.

Robot Jox at least concludes its human stories in a satisfying way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I sincerely love the end of Pacific Rim because it's more of a friendship than a fuckship.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I sincerely love the end of Pacific Rim because it's more of a friendship than a fuckship.

Where is this fuckship and are the tickets expensive?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's postponed for now, but they're not too bad. 69 bucks.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real friendship was the big lizards we punched along the way

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fuckships are full of seamen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Fuckships are meant to fly-ay

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

It's postponed for now, but they're not too bad. 69 bucks.

Nice.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

You have to be the only person to have ever felt this way about baijiu

Yeah idk. Maybe it was fancy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kaiju drinkin' baijiu.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fuckships are full of seamen.

S-tier post/username combo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've been just watching poo poo on Netflix that isn't too taxing on the brain because my brain is diarrhea lately and I can't engage with poo poo other than middlebrow time fillers. Anyway I was not expecting Mahershala Ali to be one of the stars of The 4400.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

I've been just watching poo poo on Netflix that isn't too taxing on the brain because my brain is diarrhea lately and I can't engage with poo poo other than middlebrow time fillers. Anyway I was not expecting Mahershala Ali to be one of the stars of The 4400.

Goddamn, I remember watching that show when it first aired and the only character I remember finding at all interesting or compelling was the black guy. But I haven't had cause to think about The 4400 since then so I never put it together that he was Mahershala Ali

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn, I remember watching that show when it first aired and the only character I remember finding at all interesting or compelling was the black guy. But I haven't had cause to think about The 4400 since then so I never put it together that he was Mahershala Ali

The entire show just oozes mid-2000s basic cable sci-fi. Unsurprisingly, Ali is way better than the material and anything anyone else is doing. Everybody has to start somewhere I suppose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What the comparison to GxMG illustrates is that Pacific Rim is best understood as the 30th installment of some ancient franchise that never actually existed. Like if the first Bond film was Die Another Day.

This works a lot, but is also a surprisingly common formula, Venture Bros comes to mind as being basically the sequel to a show that never existed. There's even an episode explicitly presented as the middle part of a trilogy we never see the first or last part of outside of recaps and previews.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

posting this here too. havent done a shoot in a bit.

This figure is sick af.

ironic buying toys from it though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CPL593H posted:

The entire show just oozes mid-2000s basic cable sci-fi. Unsurprisingly, Ali is way better than the material and anything anyone else is doing. Everybody has to start somewhere I suppose.

I noticed him first in Buffy, where he was a flunky in the first episode of season three and seemed to promote himself to the main bad guy for the season, only to end the episode becoming the flunky for the real main bad guy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

I noticed him first in Buffy, where he was a flunky in the first episode of season three and seemed to promote himself to the main bad guy for the season, only to end the episode becoming the flunky for the real main bad guy.

Yeah thats a completely diff actor entirely. He was never on that show.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
All this talk about Pacific Rim reminded me of one of the funniest bits of liberal film discourse; people had to prove Pacific Rim was feminist, but because Mako Mori never talks to another woman in the film it couldn't pass the Bechdel Test, so they made up the Mako Mori test, which says a movie is feminist if a female character gets a complete emotional arc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was one guy. One horrible sexual assaulter guy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah thats a completely diff actor entirely. He was never on that show.

gently caress, so it was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The entire point of the Bechdel test is that do it once. You hear about the test, you think about all the movies you've seen, and are surprised by how few pass it. Then you continue on to have thoughts about how women are presented in movies, and so on. You can not use it to judge an individual movie's feminismity

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

posting this here too. havent done a shoot in a bit.

This figure is sick af.

ironic buying toys from it though.

that's sweet as hell

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

X-Ray Pecs posted:

All this talk about Pacific Rim reminded me of one of the funniest bits of liberal film discourse; people had to prove Pacific Rim was feminist, but because Mako Mori never talks to another woman in the film it couldn't pass the Bechdel Test, so they made up the Mako Mori test, which says a movie is feminist if a female character gets a complete emotional arc.

this post sucks. you've ruined the next few pages of this thread you rear end in a top hat

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Why ain't thar kissin in movies no more

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

Um because kissing is gross??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FunkyAl posted:

Every movie now is about the search for surrogate parents.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FunkyAl posted:

Horny is dead

Bury it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FunkyAl posted:

It's important to stop glorifying such things if we really want to end sex

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kissing is hard to fake. Like, you actually have to swap spit with the other actor and what if they're kinda gross? At least with a sex scene you can just kinda rub up against each other and cut it together later to make it convincing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

FunkyAl posted:

David Sims account spotted.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
BWOOOOOM

BWOOOOOM

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I will never not get super jazzed anytime I see a wild lizard. I don't care if it's an iguana laying in a tree in Florida or a lil guy scurrying across the sidewalk in front of me in LA, it's always a delight.

The closest thing NYC is rats, though :sigh:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

FunkyAl posted:

When Ebert died it was stipulated in his will that films could no longer have even the barest hint of eroticism if he wasn't around to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flying Zamboni posted:

When Ebert died it was stipulated in his will that films could no longer have even the barest hint of eroticism if he wasn't around to see it.

Checks out. One hardly sees naked breasts in films these days