Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

lobsterminator posted:

You cannot cancel him who has never been uncancelled.

Rich's laughter and racist impressions will bring peace on earth.

But he is defeatable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7K2FuK1xbk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

I remember playing it on my old PC back in high school, having borrowed a friend's copy. I believe I was using some cheat or maybe one of my friend's save files to skip through the game since figuring out how to advance was inscrutable, and I distinctly remember the ending because it really disturbed me.

I never liked the ending (because the town being weird on its own was better) but I understood why considering when it came out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

i finished the 3rd hobbit movie!! they found the time for 2 hours of dumb CGI fighting, most of it non-plot related, but they didn't have time to show the arkenstone buried with Thorin? wtf

i googled it and apparently the burial is a deleted scene but if we ignore that then Bard still has the priceless artifact in the theatrical and the right to be king under the mountain

e: also im pretty sure it's cursed and will drive you insane

I don't really recall because who can remember what the Hobbit movies are about, but was that McGuffin like the central thing they were looking for for the whole trilogy? And they didn't wrap up who had it and who was king? lol

Sci-fi and fantasy have the dumbest methods of obtaining power. "Oh, I've got the Darksaber so I run a whole loving planet everyone in the whole Mandalore diaspora will instantly bow to me because my mere possession of this object" or like "Yeah the king is the king because he won a fight to the death on top of a waterfall. We are the most advanced nation on the planet, and any royal third-cousin can challenge the king to a fight to the death on top of the waterfall at any moment and become king themselves by killing him."

Gonna write a fantasy epic where the hero kills the despotic king at the end of the first movie and then the sequel is their long regicide trial.

Once again, Game of Thrones had this right when Ned Stark has this like magic document signed by the last king naming him the regent and Cersei's just like "Shoulda got a copy dipshit" and tears it up because the only thing that actually matters is who the city guard listens to in that moment.

:lmao:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

are their commentaries listenable without having the movie running alongside them? i've assumed no up until this point so i've never bothered

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PostNouveau posted:

Sci-fi and fantasy have the dumbest methods of obtaining power. "Oh, I've got the Darksaber so I run a whole loving planet everyone in the whole Mandalore diaspora will instantly bow to me because my mere possession of this object" or like "Yeah the king is the king because he won a fight to the death on top of a waterfall. We are the most advanced nation on the planet, and any royal third-cousin can challenge the king to a fight to the death on top of the waterfall at any moment and become king themselves by killing him."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXmwK2-R2dY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

are their commentaries listenable without having the movie running alongside them? i've assumed no up until this point so i've never bothered

Absolutely, I would say they're better because you don't have to concentrate on whatever piece of poo poo they're watching

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

In every one of them they spend at least two thirds talking about everything else except whats happening on screen so why the gently caress arent you listening already

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No... and I don't give a fck!!!

Hence the air-quotes on my op, I have tried watching some of the videos, and apparently, it's just a forum thread in some there corners of the internet (not even on Twitter, go figure).

You can't cancel Rich Evans, you'll regret this!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

I've never watched the movie while listening to them.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Once again, Game of Thrones had this right when Ned Stark has this like magic document signed by the last king naming him the regent and Cersei's just like "Shoulda got a copy dipshit" and tears it up because the only thing that actually matters is who the city guard listens to in that moment.

The best thing about Game of Thrones was incorporating postmodernism and realpolitik into a fantasy setting.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never watched the movie while listening to them.

Same. They work as audio only.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Tip posted:

I thought that was Charlie Brooker at first.

Finally after all these years you've finally worked out who Jim reminds me of.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I don't really recall because who can remember what the Hobbit movies are about, but was that McGuffin like the central thing they were looking for for the whole trilogy? And they didn't wrap up who had it and who was king? lol

Yeah, I dunno even who became the dwarf king. I think the jewel being important for being king was an invention for the movie so it doesn't make sense to the plot as thorin has already inherited kingship.

Now that I think about it non of the plots had closure. Never saw what happened to lake town people, did the guy with the bra filled with coins survive?, and I dunno if the elves got their crystal necklaces and stuff. Saruman said he was gonna deal with sauron and it just finished like that? The magic elf lady and agent Smith should of checked up on that at some point!!!

Im gonna stop thinking about the hobbit soon but I can't get over how long they were and how much side content was added but they didn't wrap any of it up :psyduck:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

About loving time war criminal rich evans was finally cancelled

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

The best thing about Game of Thrones was incorporating postmodernism and realpolitik into a fantasy setting.

OK but what about if it was all about dragons and ice zombies instead?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Same. They work as audio only.

Oh neat, I thought these were patreon only. Enjoying some Robocopmentary!

It's crazy to me they think the 2nd one is on par or almost on par, this isn't an alien/aliens situation what the hell. It's watchable but come on.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Saruman said he was gonna deal with sauron and it just finished like that? The magic elf lady and agent Smith should of checked up on that at some point!!!

Im gonna stop thinking about the hobbit soon but I can't get over how long they were and how much side content was added but they didn't wrap any of it up :psyduck:

They touch on some of this stuff in the sequel trilogy

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Endless Trash posted:

They touch on some of this stuff in the sequel trilogy

Yeah yeah but they foreshadow a meeting between sauron and saruman (where I assume he was gonna get corrupted) and it never happened

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

OK but what about if it was all about dragons and ice zombies instead?

the realpolitik of got was pretty good but only for as long as there was this amazing, centralizing tension between the lawful, naive idealists and the ambitious chaos candidates under this backdrop of imminent cataclysm that was super prominent in the first three books imho

the problem with grrm's weirdly spontaneous version of the gardening method of plotting, other than writing himself into knots and getting stuck for, like, decades with no exit strategy, is he didn't develop much of a unifying theme or even underlying conjecture to help structure the rest of the series so i can absolutely understand why every season past 3 was weaker than the last until you end up with a finale that felt like nobody knew what they were doing anymore imho

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It would've been neat if they had killed the ice king but the ice zombies didn't die from it, they just kept going and it turned out that the king didn't actually matter

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

hard counter posted:

the realpolitik of got was pretty good but only for as long as there was this amazing, centralizing tension between the lawful, naive idealists and the ambitious chaos candidates under this backdrop of imminent cataclysm that was super prominent in the first three books imho

the problem with grrm's weirdly spontaneous version of the gardening method of plotting, other than writing himself into knots and getting stuck for, like, decades with no exit strategy, is he didn't develop much of a unifying theme or even underlying conjecture to help structure the rest of the series so i can absolutely understand why every season past 3 was weaker than the last until you end up with a finale that felt like nobody knew what they were doing anymore imho

Eh, the first four seasons set up enough stuff to finish the show with a nice war against the bad guys. The war just never came. The white walkers were finished off in an episode and Cersei just got shat on by dragons

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Re: The Hobbit and content, Lindsey Ellis made an excellent 3 part take down of the Hobbit trilogy.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah yeah but they foreshadow a meeting between sauron and saruman (where I assume he was gonna get corrupted) and it never happened

Sure but did you really want more desiccated Christopher Lee standing in front of another green screen and talking to a white ping pong ball that will eventually be Sauron in postproduction?

“Join Me!” Sauron will say, or something

“Yeah okay sure!” Saruman would reply I guess????

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Trash posted:

Sure but did you really want more desiccated Christopher Lee standing in front of another green screen and talking to a white ping pong ball that will eventually be Sauron in postproduction?

Aren't they planning a prequel about the rise/return of Sauron? I think I read that ITT.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Zzulu posted:

Eh, the first four seasons set up enough stuff to finish the show with a nice war against the bad guys. The war just never came. The white walkers were finished off in an episode and Cersei just got shat on by dragons

Fitting three seasons' worth of stories into the six-episode last season was so baffling it almost would have been better if they had taken all six episodes of the last season to just do the battle against the white walkers and just left every other plot thread hanging at the show's end.

Of the post-book GOT episodes, I think the moment that came closest to the cleverness and perspective of the original seasons was when Arya was watching the play showing how the public perceived the events of the first few seasons.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

hard counter posted:

I got a hunch GURM only planned it through red wedding, after that he just gave up planing and start writing fanfic on his own story. Book 4 had some neat ideas and actual character developments here and there, book 5 just completely hit the brick wall. The events in book 5 should have been skipped like he originally planned.

The best plot ideas were some what based on real medieval events anyway (palace power struggle; red wedding, eunuch army etc) , he should just read some more history and finish the rest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/based_confused/status/1353718283602702337

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Zzulu posted:

imho that's all you were gonna get tho: a straight up fight against the bad ice men that was always gonna feel weaker than all of the interesting scheming and cersei getting shat on because all she had was bullying by overkill and now she's up against someone with more power

like, you could have had a bigger, longer cgi fight with the bad ice men with blue lasers shooting up into the sky for three episodes straight but that sorta stuff was never as good as plots like the red wedding imho

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

He legally protected himself by saying he can't explain it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

2001: A Space Odyssey is literally Marvel canon already they should've made that movie instead of Eternals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Man

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Endless Trash posted:

Doing a whole-cloth plot that convincingly told the story of Saruman's corruption and eventual alliance with Sauron would have been interesting and have been a better addition to the movies better than the random battle filler they invented. However, that would require actually writing that story (you couldn't really wing it). Also, making Christopher Lee take on that much of a roll in his final years would have been asking a lot.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Endless Trash posted:

none of the side plots should of been included of course

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I got a hunch GURM only planned it through red wedding, after that he just gave up planing and start writing fanfic on his own story. Book 4 had some neat ideas and actual character developments here and there, book 5 just completely hit the brick wall. The events in book 5 should have been skipped like he originally planned.

The best plot ideas were some what based on real medieval events anyway (palace power struggle; red wedding, eunuch army etc) , he should just read some more history and finish the rest.

The eunuch army doesn't really resemble anything in real history. There existed slave soldiers, mostly in the medieval Middle East, but they actually bore almost no resemlbance to how the Unsullied are depicted.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I only liked Game of Thrones for the politics stuff so the more magic and poo poo came to the fore it became less interesting for me. Woulda been better if it was just a bad winter coming so it was inevitable instead of some magic army you could beat. Also the writing got worse and I think Lindsay Ellis went over in her video how it went from focusing on the politics/society into focusing on specific characters like every other show does.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tired of these toxic marty bros harrassing our good, simple, common marvel loving people

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1354130359332515842

Yes, from the video game. Directed by Eli Roth.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

We are but simple Marvel movie lovers. We do not understand the complex themes and subtleties of your so-called "good films". R-rated violence shocks and scares us. Characters saying anything other than what they are immediately thinking, or making funny quips, confuses our simple brains. We cannot be expected to watch movies from the last millennium! Do you think we are movie-magicians?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Groovelord Neato posted:

I only liked Game of Thrones for the politics stuff so the more magic and poo poo came to the fore it became less interesting for me.

As it turned out, the resolutions of both elements were tremendously stupid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1354130359332515842

Yes, from the video game. Directed by Eli Roth.

Cate nooooooooooooo

Borderlands is a garbage game franchise, which I have played, but it's generally kind of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Groovelord Neato posted:

I only liked Game of Thrones for the politics stuff so the more magic and poo poo came to the fore it became less interesting for me. Woulda been better if it was just a bad winter coming so it was inevitable instead of some magic army you could beat. Also the writing got worse and I think Lindsay Ellis went over in her video how it went from focusing on the politics/society into focusing on specific characters like every other show does.

In The Books Point:

There were multiple times that people mentioned they were in for a ten year winter, which would have killed most people even without the magic army.