Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Stellaris you can get vassals and eventually you can integrate them into your empire. However if you have a huge technology lead you can make them protectorates, where they get an 80% bonus research to whatever you have researched and when they learn 40% of what you got they become vassals.

Right, they become vassals. The whole integration thing? Can't do that until they become vassals. And the AI actually managing to catch up to 40%? Yeeeeah... good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
The thing dragging Hollow Knight down for me is that I played both of the Ori games first.

Hollow Knight’s fine and all, it’s just... not as good. The controls seem clunkier, progression’s more obtuse and my character seems to move like a brick.

If I’d played Knight first, I reckon I’d have loved it. I’m just not sure I can be bothered continuing to play a game that feels like a step back in the genre.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Robert J. Omb posted:

The thing dragging Hollow Knight down for me is that I played both of the Ori games first.

Hollow Knight’s fine and all, it’s just... not as good. The controls seem clunkier, progression’s more obtuse and my character seems to move like a brick.

If I’d played Knight first, I reckon I’d have loved it. I’m just not sure I can be bothered continuing to play a game that feels like a step back in the genre.

Your mobility improves significantly once you get the dash about 1.5-2 hours in, and not coincidentally the game becomes much more fun as well. Whether it's worth trudging through the first couple hours is up to you, but on the whole I like it much more than the first Ori. Haven't played the second yet.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Robert J. Omb posted:

It's funny you say that because I feel exactly the opposite. I loved Hollow Knight and hated both Ori games. The combat and platforming felt a lot more precise in HK while Ori felt sloppy, like you're never totally in control of the character. Not to mention Ori was way too easy and therefore kind of boring, for me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
MMOs charging you :20bux: for "server transfers" for the horrific expense of sending a few-kilobyte save file between two machines :psyduck:
I just wanna play Final Fantasy XIV with my pals

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Nostradingus posted:

It's funny you say that because I feel exactly the opposite. I loved Hollow Knight and hated both Ori games. The combat and platforming felt a lot more precise in HK while Ori felt sloppy, like you're never totally in control of the character. Not to mention Ori was way too easy and therefore kind of boring, for me.

Must be a taste thing. I’m a good few upgrades into Hollow Knight and I still feel clunky whereas I liked the quicker, more flowing movement of Ori. The checkpointing system also has a tendency to make me slog for a while to be killed in about 5 seconds and I don’t have the patience for that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey Resident Evil 6 the only way I'm not seeing this "6" is if I literally turn my monitor off.

- Max Brightness

- Min Brightness

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Necrothatcher posted:

Hey Resident Evil 6 the only way I'm not seeing this "6" is if I literally turn my monitor off.

- Max Brightness

- Min Brightness

Whole bunch of games have had this issue and my display is calibrated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Necrothatcher posted:

- Max Brightness

- Min Brightness

The help text originally read "If you can clearly see the giraffe getting a blowjob, your screen is too bright." but corporate made them change it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sininu posted:

Whole bunch of games have had this issue and my display is calibrated.

My monitor is a cheap piece of poo poo so this might not be the universal experience, but if you take the time to actually set one of those in-game brightness sliders to the settings they ask for it makes the game unplayably dark. Like, screw it, I've just started leaving it on about halfway or occasionally even higher, and then I'll turn it back down later if things look too shiny or washed-out or anything. I almost never end up turning it back down.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

My monitor is a cheap piece of poo poo so this might not be the universal experience, but if you take the time to actually set one of those in-game brightness sliders to the settings they ask for it makes the game unplayably dark. Like, screw it, I've just started leaving it on about halfway or occasionally even higher, and then I'll turn it back down later if things look too shiny or washed-out or anything. I almost never end up turning it back down.

Agreed and I also usually leave it in the middle default value, tends to look like what I imagine creators intended. When I do adjust it it's only a couple notches down.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I always leave the little pattern more visible than it says to because wandering around in pitch black is exactly zero fun in any game despite how badly the developer apparently thinks otherwise.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yeah same, I put it on 55-60% by default, 70-75 if the game has a flashlight because that means it has areas that are dark and the flashlight sure as hell isn't going to help with those.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I always set brightness to max in games because my eyesight is poo poo and, as others have stated, wandering around in the dark is the opposite of fun.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I was playing some Assassin's Creed 2 and need to rant about something, so this seems like as good a place as any.

Early on in the game, you have to break into a tomb or something to reach a Templar meeting. I wanted to use my throwing knives at one point to take out a group of guards in a room, but for some reason, the knives weren't selectable from the weapons menu. I had three or four in my inventory, and it showed the icon for them, but it was greyed out and impossible to select. There's no explanation or warning that you can't use them, you just can't.

This wouldn't be so bad, except I picked the knives up from guards I killed IN THE SAME AREA. I searched online to see if there was a bug or something, all I could find though is that the developers disabled throwing knives in some areas because it'd make the area too easy, but then WHY GIVE THE PLAYER THROWING KNIVES IN THE AREA IN THE FIRST PLACE? They don't give an in-game explanation for it or anything, just disabling one of your weapons to give an area some artificial difficulty.

I was already getting annoyed by the platforming in the area (I hate platforming, especially when it's a bunch of easy jumps/climbs followed by a difficult one that if you miss, you have to do all the tedious easy poo poo all over again), but this just killed the game for me. Such lazy, stupid game design.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Did you adjust your brightness settings and screen size settings and audio source settings and--"

I was going to,

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Playing Wasteland 2 and getting kinda annoyed at how the game seems to want me to set up ambushes and pick advantageous positions before combat but does not give me the tools to effectively do so. Enemy sight range is a total mystery, so I don't know when they'll spot my dudes and get the first move. I can't interact with cover outside of combat, so a bunch of times I have my dudes crouch behind wooden pallets or something that looks like cover but turns out to be just set dressing. I can't pause while still looking around before combat, so I rarely have time to think of a strategy beyond "have my sniper try to dome one dude and hope the rest of them don't get a turn before the rest of my boys." Once the firefight actually starts, it's easier to look around for options, so I'm starting to think i'm supposed to accept taking a few bullets at the start of every battle.

Also annoyed that one raider was able to one-shot two of my dudes into permadeath, but when I took him out two reloads later his super strong murder gun was the same rifle I started the game with and has never one-shotted anything in my hands.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

serefin99 posted:

I always set brightness to max in games because my eyesight is poo poo and, as others have stated, wandering around in the dark is the opposite of fun.

Same. Sometimes it makes the game look like poo poo but its better than not being able to see what you're doing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crowetron posted:

Playing Wasteland 2 and getting kinda annoyed at how the game seems to want me to set up ambushes and pick advantageous positions before combat but does not give me the tools to effectively do so. Enemy sight range is a total mystery, so I don't know when they'll spot my dudes and get the first move. I can't interact with cover outside of combat, so a bunch of times I have my dudes crouch behind wooden pallets or something that looks like cover but turns out to be just set dressing. I can't pause while still looking around before combat, so I rarely have time to think of a strategy beyond "have my sniper try to dome one dude and hope the rest of them don't get a turn before the rest of my boys." Once the firefight actually starts, it's easier to look around for options, so I'm starting to think i'm supposed to accept taking a few bullets at the start of every battle.

Also annoyed that one raider was able to one-shot two of my dudes into permadeath, but when I took him out two reloads later his super strong murder gun was the same rifle I started the game with and has never one-shotted anything in my hands.

Just play 3 instead. I thought 2 was dogshit but 3 solves like every problem I had with it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just play 3 instead. I thought 2 was dogshit but 3 solves like every problem I had with it.

I'm mostly enjoying 2, so I'll probably stick with it for a while, but it's good to hear that 3 is solid. I thought I remembered hearing stuff about it being buggy, but that was like months ago.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

I'm having a similar problem. I recently played Celeste, then Hollow Knight. Since I just got a Switch I was itching for some old school 2D Mario, so I got Mario Wii U. And it's just so... floaty, and slide-y. I really want to be enjoying it, but I'm just not.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So has Resident Evil always been about getting chased by tall people, or is this a recent development?

I ask here because I find getting chased by tall people actually not fun at all, and it's basically ensuring that I'll never touch a series that I previously thought was in part about slow-paced exploration and puzzle-solving, which I do like.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cleretic posted:

So has Resident Evil always been about getting chased by tall people, or is this a recent development?

I ask here because I find getting chased by tall people actually not fun at all, and it's basically ensuring that I'll never touch a series that I previously thought was in part about slow-paced exploration and puzzle-solving, which I do like.

Since about 1998.
Usually the being chased by tall people is in set pieces in between solving puzzles and slow paced explorations

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Yes absolutely. They even remade some of the older games to make being chased by tall people a bigger part of the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

rodbeard posted:

Yes absolutely. They even remade some of the older games to make being chased by tall people a bigger part of the game.

See, that's the part that made me think it was recent. Before the RE2 remake I never heard anything about Mr. X, so I assumed that was basically a non-element in the original 2 that they turned up to 'pervasive' for the remake.

I'd say I didn't hear about Nemesis in RE3 either, but I actually didn't hear anything about RE3 before the remake, and only knew it existed because Resident Evil 4 must've logically followed a Resident Evil 3. He turned up in Project X Zone and I think I just assumed he was a popular boss fight.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Never mind, I didn't read good. :downs:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mr X in RE2make is actually less pervasive than he appears to be, but you're absolutely right that in the original he's practically a non-element. In the 98 version, he basically shows up in 3-4 rooms over the course of the B scenario, and you can just jog past him every time except for right at the end when he becomes a proper boss fight.

But now that I'm thinking about it, the series has been pretty consistent about having a big monster pursue you through multiple areas since then. Nemesis in RE3, Salazar's Right Hand in 4, the Ustanak in 6, the good parts of 7. Even the remake of RE1 added in Lisa. poo poo, Resident Evil really is the "Get chased by a big person" series. How did I never notice?

Crowetron has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Jan 27, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Resident Evil 4 has you get chased by a tall person little person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CjXDkJ90qc

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

I'd say I didn't hear about Nemesis in RE3 either, but I actually didn't hear anything about RE3 before the remake, and only knew it existed because Resident Evil 4 must've logically followed a Resident Evil 3.

I had to laugh about that since the game is called Resident Evil 3:Nemesis.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

See, that's the part that made me think it was recent. Before the RE2 remake I never heard anything about Mr. X, so I assumed that was basically a non-element in the original 2 that they turned up to 'pervasive' for the remake.

I'd say I didn't hear about Nemesis in RE3 either

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis contains many encounters with your nemesis, Nemesis.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jack and Margerite aren't that tall, all things considered.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RareAcumen posted:

Jack and Margerite aren't that tall, all things considered.

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

They're practically ripping themselves off at this point :v:

Whoa there hold on a sec

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh interesting, I never noticed her horrible hangin-out bug bits are the same shape as the ones that birth mosquitos in the guest house in general. I guess the implication is that she's making them and then ploppin em out when they're done! Well that's horrible!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

Oh interesting, I never noticed her horrible hangin-out bug bits are the same shape as the ones that birth mosquitos in the guest house in general. I guess the implication is that she's making them and then ploppin em out when they're done! Well that's horrible!

Marguerite is probably one of the most weirdly disquieting things in the franchise that pretty much nobody ever mentions.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m picking up X-com 2 and trying to mod it so all of my characters are Star Wars related. As a whole it’s going smooth thanks to the Steam Workshop but I’ve never really tried modding before so making sure they all work well together is kinda annoying.

There also seems to be a total conversion mod that replaces enemies with Storm Troopers and stuff but I don’t know how that affects gameplay/difficulty and I’m hoping to just keep it cosmetic for now.

Though I don’t know if removing custom classes after assigning someone to that class will totally fry my game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
fuxk i love xcom2 but that base building and those dumbass timers kill it for me :c

i do only have it on ps4 but like i mean come on how is there no sandbox mode

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

What do you mean when you say you want a sandbox mode for xcom 2?

EDIT: Just trying to visualize it.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Jan 27, 2021

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think the ability to run around, pick your fights, scan stuff, and make a doom brigade without having to worry about a doom counter.

I did find options that allow you to double the time the Avatar project takes and some other nice QoL options which I don’t think are tied to mods (but I also downloaded like 30 mods at once so who knows).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like AC: Odyssey takes a little too long to set up all of its systems. Admittedly I have the brain disease that makes me more than happy to meticulous check off every point of interest but regardless I could feel something missing from the formula. Cue the cult system being introduced followed by the spear upgrading mechanic.

Also I'm still struggling to understand the point of the sabotage -> kill leader -> siege loop (it generates loot, big deal, everything does) and also the mercenary system, which feels like a clunky attempt at copying the Nemesis system but combined with AC's janky wanted level stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Marguerite is probably one of the most weirdly disquieting things in the franchise that pretty much nobody ever mentions.

What you want me to talk about that spider bush?